ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to honor the Paternos

nittany_fl

Aug 27, 2018
I think before the homecoming game Penn State should have Jay come onto the field to receive recognition from the university. Think it is past due to honor the Paterno family this way as what was done with the video tributes during the Temple game a few years ago was not enough.

I think before the homecoming game Penn State should have Jay come onto the field to receive recognition from the university. Think it is past due to honor the Paterno family this way as what was done with the video tributes during the Temple game a few years ago was not enough.

New Member as of 8/27 with 4 posts? Go home Pitt Boy. It's all over now.

Well, I sure would like to see some meaningful public honoring of Joe's legacy occur while Sue is still among the living. What form that may take is unfortunately a difficult (read: divisive) issue even among members of the PSU community, but it strikes me that a video tribute is nowhere near enough.

Joe deserves recognition and an apology, but I don’t think Jay deserves any recognition. The fact that his dad got horribly bad treatment by Penn State, don’t elevate Jay’s contribution or make him deserving of anything.

Reactions: Kiber
In a way they honor joe before every game. When the show the pre game hype video the few seconds they show joe and his shoes receives the loudest cheer. Actually that is a very fitting acknowledgment of joe. Heartfelt from the fans.

How about cliff notes presentation of the Grand Experiment and how it worked in practice not just fantasy.

Joe deserves recognition and an apology, but I don’t think Jay deserves any recognition. The fact that his dad got horribly bad treatment by Penn State, don’t elevate Jay’s contribution or make him deserving of anything.

The university should honor Joe and, in turn, blame Jay for everything.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Or, better yet, blame the entire McAndrew Board. I hate us.

Did I do that right?

That's good. Well done. :)

Back in 2011-2012, the likes (hates) of rodney erickson and ken frazier blamed us (and people who looked like us) for our culture problem of putting football above all else. We all knew. We all are responsible. Hence, I hate us. The fact that I continue to take pride in being a Penn Stater and continue to cheer on the football team means I hate me more.

Back in 2011-2012, the likes (hates) of rodney erickson and ken frazier blamed us (and people who looked like us) for our culture problem of putting football above all else. We all knew. We all are responsible. Hence, I hate us. The fact that I continue to take pride in being a Penn Stater and continue to cheer on the football team means I hate me more.
Don't feel bad, Bob. We ALL hate you more ;)

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Nothing personal against Jay, however, if the university ever makes the correct decision to honor Joseph Vincent Paterno, I would want to see Sue Paterno come out of the south end zone to receive an ovation.

OL

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Agree. I love my school, but it's disgraceful the way our leadership handled the whole sorted mess in 2011 and failure to honor a man who has contributed more to PSU than anyone I can think of.

At this point, I don't want the university to do anything. I don't want them to control the message. They can't be trusted.

Agree. I love my school, but it's disgraceful the way our leadership handled the whole sorted mess in 2011 and failure to honor a man who has contributed more to PSU than anyone I can think of.

The worst scenario for Penn State/Paterno in the JS scandal was that Joe's health was so bad when the news broke that he could not defend himself and the school. And it left the defense of Joe & the school to the feckless BOT and Hot Rod Erickson.

I always thought had Joe been healthier he would have been strong enough to not only defend himself but also defend the school. When the blood thirsty media horde came with their tiki torches and nooses, Joe would have had the guts and the brains to tell them this was NOT a Penn State issue but an JS issue and he would have defended the school .................... But, Joe's health was bad. As we all knew he died a few months later. And instead, the media got a wimp in Erickson and a BOT who was more than willing to roll over and accept all guilt.

Want to honor JVP. Push for the following.

1. Rename Curtin Road between University Drive and Porter Road as The Paterno Way.
2. Make address of Beaver Stadium 409 Paterno Way.
3. Place a large plaque above the South Tunnel: Success with Honor!

4. Return the statue & player plaques to the original location.

I believe he would be standing there as a representative of the family, not on his own. That would be fine with me, since short of his mother he is the most visible. If Mrs. Paterno wanted to be the one receiving the recognition that would be fine.

Reactions: Bob78 and SUPERTODD
Want to honor JVP. Push for the following.

1. Rename Curtin Road between University Drive and Porter Road as The Paterno Way.
2. Make address of Beaver Stadium 409 Paterno Way.
3. Place a large plaque above the South Tunnel: Success with Honor!

4. Return the statue & player plaques to the original location.

I like 1-3. I think eventually consideration of Paterno Field would be good as well. My 2 cents on the statute is no. If renovations in stadium ever happen and widen concourse, put it somewhere inside the stadium where it would be more secure on a daily basis.

I like 1-3. I think eventually consideration of Paterno Field would be good as well. My 2 cents on the statute is no. If renovations in stadium ever happen and widen concourse, put it somewhere inside the stadium where it would be more secure on a daily basis.
Agree, Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium as #4 but the other 3 as well. It’s long overdue.

Reactions: Bob78
The worst scenario for Penn State/Paterno in the JS scandal was that Joe's health was so bad when the news broke that he could not defend himself and the school. And it left the defense of Joe & the school to the feckless BOT and Hot Rod Erickson.

I always thought had Joe been healthier he would have been strong enough to not only defend himself but also defend the school. When the blood thirsty media horde came with their tiki torches and nooses, Joe would have had the guts and the brains to tell them this was NOT a Penn State issue but an JS issue and he would have defended the school .................... But, Joe's health was bad. As we all knew he died a few months later. And instead, the media got a wimp in Erickson and a BOT who was more than willing to roll over and accept all guilt.

That’s exactly what Joe did! He said they were all fooled by Jerry!

What he should have done was told everybody that Sandusky is innocent until proven guilty. Maybe then the guy actually gets a fair trial!

Last edited:
Reactions: denniskembala

I have to caca!

Joe Paterni had a pederast and an incompetent son in his midst... like every king, queen, sultan and president in the last 10 thousand years. But nah let's tear his whole legacy down to make food stampers in Iowa feel better about their irrelevant existence.

Agree that the statue should be placed inside the stadium for security purposes. Too much risk that some asshole might try to vandalize it. That would bother the hell out of a whole lot of people, myself included. Also, imagine how quickly things could get out of hand if the perp got caught in the act.

Read Thornburgh, Clemente & Berlin assessment of Freeh Report and Malcolm Gladwell’s new book. It might give you some additional insights regarding “fooling” and who may have been fooled.

I actually stopped defending Joe Paterno for almost 4 years after reading the Paterno report when it first came out. I felt it was very weak and unconvincing.

But then I discovered the work of John Ziegler, JR Snedden, Ralph Cipriano, and Mark Pendergrast. Those guys have the truth, not politically correct BS!

Also, it’s important to note Berlin (who is much more credible than the virtue signaling Clemente) has endorsed Pendergrast’s book!

Yeah he was one of the best offensive coordinators in school history...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT