ADVERTISEMENT

It's Time For Luke.

Rahne was a train wreck. It’s partially at least his fault that the QB situation is what it is right now. The Limegrover situation was a little weird. Actually thought he was an ok coach
Rahne coached a team that won 11 games last year. It makes all the sense in the world to blame him for this season. I mean, I can see where the coaching changes have brought improvement. 90% of the elite fans here insisted that the coaching changes would be "the answer".

Rahne coached a team that won 11 games last year. It makes all the sense in the world to blame him for this season. I mean, I can see where the coaching changes have brought improvement. 90% of the elite fans here insisted that the coaching changes would be "the answer".
Not blaming him for the mess this season but I damn well do believe he deserves criticism for the QB development or lack there of. He coached Levis, Clifford and company a lot longer than Ciarocca.

Not blaming him for the mess this season but I damn well do believe he deserves criticism for the QB development or lack there of. He coached Levis, Clifford and company a lot longer than Ciarocca.
Clifford played better for him.

Why do we need players on the field if coaches are responsible for all the mistakes they make?
No one is saying the coaches are responsible for all the mistakes. Obviously you have some sort of crush on Rahne. I think he is a good guy who was a pretty mediocre cooordinator and QB coach. Jury is still out on Ciarocca but I imagine Clifford would be playing better for him too if he had two full seasons and off seasons to coach him plus Hamler, Cain and Brown

Yep WE deserve better. We are ELITE.
It makes me sad. The salt has lost it's savor for me. I'm not a fanatic anymore. I'm not part of the ELITE. You, however, are ELITE. You do deserve better. Go forth and prosper. Better call Ira first though.

It makes me sad. The salt has lost it's savor for me. I'm not a fanatic anymore. I'm not part of the ELITE. You, however, are ELITE. You do deserve better. Go forth and prosper. Better call Ira first though.
I'm told I deserve to be elite. I mean look what WE pay our coach. We just don't have enough fans who want to pay the price to be ELITE.

But WE FANS deserve better. Fire everyone. Burn it to the ground. Every great coach in America will crawl on their hands and knees to coach in the land of milk and honey.
I think you will find a few coaches interested in coaching at a blue blood like PSU. All of which would have PSU sitting better than 0-5.

Thanksgiving is coming. I'm going to be thankful that Penn State leadership pays no attention to the geniuses that populate this message board.
You are so right. Let’s take a role call:

1. Academics plummeting - check.

2. Basketball coach fired - check.

3. Football off to worst start in PSU history - check.

Yep - Penn State “Leadership” is really cooking with gas!

Coaching is to blame when things go bad and good, All decisions are made by coaching, Talent evaluation is coaching responsibility. It all begins and ends with coaching. When things are great, they received all the accolades, When things are in the tank, it is there fault also.
Anyone who complains about the coaching is correct imho, Anyone who wants to defend them is correct to a certain point.
I'm just not ready to throw in the towel. Lose to Rutgers and then maybe.

38 Million dollars is how he gets a pass this year, not ponying up that kind of scratch to buy him out. Honestly don't know that they should, with what he's done he should be given a pass, but next season can't look like this one, or the seat actually does get warm.

So best case scenario we start next year 0-5 and finish 7-5 you think the seat gets warm? Two seasons of 4-5 and 7-5, or more likely 0-9 and 3-9 and the seat gets warm? Good lord by that point the seat better be hotter than a hooker’s doorknob on payday.

Mimi, Ira and Terry (aka MIT) need to make this happen.

Luke Fickell? You're crazy.
So best case scenario we start next year 0-5 and finish 7-5 you think the seat gets warm? Two seasons of 4-5 and 7-5, or more likely 0-9 and 3-9 and the seat gets warm? Good lord by that point the seat better be hotter than a hooker’s doorknob on payday.

Who the hell even says that jargon? You should support a different team. And look at CJF's record not counting this year. Because EVERYBODY who has a brain knows this year is an asterisk. That's why you have Northwestern at #11 in the country and also had Liberty and Coastal Carolina there in the top 25....be a fan or don't. We really can't afford the unfair pedandtry at this point.

Luke Fickell? You're crazy.

Who the hell even says that jargon? You should support a different team. And look at CJF's record not counting this year. Because EVERYBODY who has a brain knows this year is an asterisk. That's why you have Northwestern at #11 in the country and also had Liberty and Coastal Carolina there in the top 25....be a fan or don't. We really can't afford the unfair pedandtry at this point.
Try reading the post I was responding to as well as my response again, slowly this time. If you still don’t get it then there’s no point in continuing to discuss.
On a separate note the thing that bugs me the most about people who say “the season doesn’t count” is that it sure as hell counts for the athletes on the field. They’re busting their asses and while not playing well due to poor coaching, they’re still out there every week. Try telling Pat Freiermuth that his sacrifice in coming back this year didn’t count. That whole line of thinking that “it doesn’t count” is such snowflake attitude. Go watch middle school sports if wins and losses don’t matter to you.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
Are you also giving him a pass on recruiting?
Haven't followed it that closely to where I can say if he's falling down there or not or just mostly getting beat by elite programs. We lost Derrick Davis to LSU. No shame there. We keep losing some top in-state recruits, but it tends to be to either top programs (Ohio State, ND, Clemson, LSU) or Pittsburgh kids who go to Pitt. Right now we're #36 in Rivals Rankings, but I don't go by that since they go by total points - IMO a useless metric. I look at average stars since not everyone has the same size classes. We're at 3.5 right now - puts us 14th. We'll see how things look in February. On the other hand, we've got talent if the rankings mean anything, yet we aren't converting it to results on the field.

I think you will find a few coaches interested in coaching at a blue blood like PSU. All of which would have PSU sitting better than 0-5.
Of course you do.....I hear Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer are all salivating. Its a guarantee that whatever coaches come will win 11 games 3 of 5 years....or of course, we'll fire them. I mean changing OC and OL did wonders.....and damn near every fan boy here pissed themselves with joy and anticipation. LOL
Are we going to fire the players that have stunk up the joint? I mean there are more than a few players that would love to play for this "blue blood."

Reactions: DUNNELLONFLBUCK
Of course you do.....I hear Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer are all salivating. Its a guarantee that whatever coaches come will win 11 games 3 of 5 years....or of course, we'll fire them. I mean changing OC and OL did wonders.....and damn near every fan boy here pissed themselves with joy and anticipation. LOL
Are we going to fire the players that have stunk up the joint? I mean there are more than a few players that would love to play for this "blue blood."
No one is suggesting any one those coaches will come to PSU. But there will be strong interest in the position. And many who can avoid historical debacles like this season (not just referring to scoreboard).

Reactions: PS4814
No one is suggesting any one those coaches will come to PSU. But there will be strong interest in the position. And many who can avoid historical debacles like this season (not just referring to scoreboard).
Call this season "2020" and look ahead. Nobody is playing great football -- PERIOD!

But the rules say someone has to win every game, right??

A coaching change anywhere is stupid (unless their is some corruption going on)

And bringing in those unnamed strong interest candidates will be a guarantee that we will not have debacles? How'd that work for Florida State? Tennessee?

Reactions: ItsAllGoodMan
Are you also giving him a pass on recruiting?
PSU is currently ranked #3 for 2022. Kiss that goodbye as they will follow Franklin. But again, CJF has been a strong recruiter but lets bitch moan and whine when 1 year goes beneath expectations of elite fanboys. Around here, loyal fanboys kick dirt on JVP. To be fair we have a lot of BUT fans.......I liked Joe but.....Joe was great but...... Joe did great in the 70s and the 80s but

Reactions: MaconNitt
And bringing in those unnamed strong interest candidates will be a guarantee that we will not have debacles? How'd that work for Florida State? Tennessee?
It's the Players fault for not executing AND the coaches fault for not putting them in a better position to succeed - neither gets a pass. Happy now so you don't have to defend every perceived coach bashing post.

Reactions: PS4814
At what pint would you be willing to be critical of CJF? 0-9 good enough for you?
I have been and will be critical of him as appropriate. Getting rid of him is incredibly stupid at this time. That is what I was responding to.

lets bitch moan and whine when 1 year goes beneath expectations of elite fanboys.
  • 0-5 is a bit more serious than "beneath expectations"
  • 36th rated recruiting class is a bit more serious than "beneath expectations"
I never said that PSU should fire Franklin or that we'll lose out 2022 recruits. That doesn't mean that the concerns are minor and should be dismissed.

Call this season "2020" and look ahead. Nobody is playing great football -- PERIOD!

But the rules say someone has to win every game, right??

A coaching change anywhere is stupid (unless their is some corruption going on)
Easy for the O$U to say - they are undefeated and even their off day is good enough to win against anyone.

Why? Accountability. Excuses are for losers.

Last edited:
  • 0-5 is a bit more serious than "beneath expectations"
  • 36th rated recruiting class is a bit more serious than "beneath expectations"
I never said that PSU should fire Franklin or that we'll lose out 2022 recruits. That doesn't mean that the concerns are minor and should be dismissed.
So if not dismissed, what action should be taken? Frowning and saying awe poor lil’ CJF?

Yep WE deserve better. We are ELITE.
I hope you are being sarcastic... Penn State is NOT elite. You earn that description on the field of play. Yes we've had 11 win seasons and been to NY6 bowls but aside from the blocked FG to beat Ohio State in 2016 have we come up big in a meaningful games? I'm not disagreeing that another year like this one in 2021 should give us pause but we don't deserve anything more so than any other school. PSU hasn't played for a national championship in football for 35 years. We haven't won a Rose Bowl in 25 years. Kids today don't see Penn State as anything special and the only way to change that is improving the product on the field. It doesn't happen over night.

So if not dismissed, what action should be taken? Frowning and saying awe poor lil’ CJF?
If I had a troubled employee the first step would be to sit down, go through the issues, and come up with a corrective action plan. The employee knew I was serious.

Franklin could say he needs to turn things around and be given time to turn things around if his plan seemed credible. If he didn't like the conversation he might start looking around on his own which would get PSU out of the contract and achieve the result you want anyway.

I hope you are being sarcastic... Penn State is NOT elite. You earn that description on the field of play. Yes we've had 11 win seasons and been to NY6 bowls but aside from the blocked FG to beat Ohio State in 2016 have we come up big in a meaningful games? I'm not disagreeing that another year like this one in 2021 should give us pause but we don't deserve anything more so than any other school. PSU hasn't played for a national championship in football for 35 years. We haven't won a Rose Bowl in 25 years. Kids today don't see Penn State as anything special and the only way to change that is improving the product on the field. It doesn't happen over night.
PSU is underachieving...no question about that.

First couple years for CJF were a pass because if sanctions and related hangover. But since the playing field has leveled, we are not beating anyone echoey teams we should beat (talent-wise).

Now we are not defeating anyone...and talent is slipping and that will accelerate.

The longer we wait, the tougher the climb. Make the right hire now and the ship could be pointed in the right direction soon before cupboard is bare. A great start would be the resignation/dismissal from the AD and elimination of at least 50% of her make-work associate ADs and associated admins.

Last edited:
If I had a troubled employee the first step would be to sit down, go through the issues, and come up with a corrective action plan. The employee knew I was serious.

Franklin could say he needs to turn things around and be given time to turn things around if his plan seemed credible. If he didn't like the conversation he might start looking around on his own which would get PSU out of the contract and achieve the result you want anyway.
Would be a great first step. But who could play the role of CJF’s manager? Sandy? Barron?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT