ADVERTISEMENT

It's official: Trautwein to PSU as OL Coach

I am not "bitter." I defended RR here because 1. I didn't and don't think he is responsible for everything including conflict in the Middle East. 2. He put in 6 seasons at PSU and as such made a solid contribution in bringing this program back to national prominence .3.He and CJF and their families are very close...remain so (I believe CJF is a godfather to one of RR's sons) and I do not believe he was "fired." The criticisms of coaches are generally irrational, hateful and largely misinformed on this board. In addition, I don't understand grown men....who claim to be mentally stable, rejoicing if and when someone is fired (Limegrover).
Other schoo'ls coaches are brilliant and new hires are generally met with the same excitement as the new shiny object under the Christmas Tree.
As sure as God made little green apples, their luster will fade under the scrutiny of the first contest (well perhaps not that early vs a few OOC cupcakes).
I view the hires as a separate and distinct action from the departure of RR and Limegrover. They appear to be very solid hires and I am optimistic about what they can bring to the program.
I am an unabashed CJF supporter, yet the experts here will suggest he has "much to learn." LOL from us?
For someone to suggest I can't support the new hires, while showing respect for RR and ML is like those who cannot wrap their head around being a JoeBot and embracing CJF as the new face of the program. These are not mutually exclusive.
This ^^^times 100. If others want to blast me for my opinion, read this because it’s exactly how I feel. All I’ve said in these posts is that Franklin didn’t fire Rahne.

Reactions: marshall23
image_handler.aspx

Nice looking family but Phil and mom have dealt with a terrible personal tragedy.

https://www.today.com/news/chevy-crash-victims-mom-meeting-gm-was-waste-my-time-2D79473602
Davidson College is less than 5 Mins from my home.

Reactions: flash86
Gee, I read the first page on this thread and then began to wish that we still had thread view so I could just skip over those people who consistently have shown they have no sense what they’re talking about.

Too many people just want to argue or berate other posters. If that is all you’ve got, then keep it to yourself and quit cluttering the board.

"Not being targeted yet".

It's probably because their units are performing at the level we need them to.

The offense under Rahne, quite obviously, was not a championship-level offense. And the offensive line under Limegrower, quite obviously, was not a championship-level OL. Reasonable minds can differ as to why that was the case. But those units, collectively, were not up to standard. Plain and simple.

This notion that there's something in the DNA of posters here to attack coaches because they're coaches is just silly. Coaches that coach underperforming units are going to come under fire......just as they do at any big time program.
But it’s when the judging of “underperforming” is done that bothers me. For offensive coaches it’s done after each play or series. Go read the in game threads...we have a three and out its time to fire the OC. It doesn’t seem to be that way with the defense...if we get gashed it’s usually a player’s fault....like last year every TD given up was Koa Farmer’s fault. Or our players can’t tackle or we’re out of position. But with offense it’s always the coach’s fault...we can’t catch a pass it must be the coach didn’t teach them how, our QB throws a pick it’s because the play call was bad, etc. Wait until a season is over, judge the results looking at all the factors (like Rahne didn’t have Barkley or Gesicki in his first year and had an unproven QB and RB’s this year) then make a judgment. And have some faith that Franklin knows what he’s doing and no one wants to win as bad as he does...his livelihood depends on it, ours doesn’t.

Last edited:
This is true at every level of football. It is especially true with an offense based on low percentage bombs, locking in on one wr, and drives that stall with sacks, creating low time of possession, exposing the defense that consistently faces large physical B1G o-lines. I am sure Rahne and Limegrover are great guys and made contributions to the program, but the lack of production on offense was holding the program back regardless of the record this season.
Holding the program back regardless of the record...now that’s baffling.

Reactions: marshall23
I would contend that finally we had a little luck. The number of games that we had significantly less yards of total offense was concerning... even Rutgers had more total offense.
Maybe that has something to do with the defense as well.

11 wins is no longer the benchmark for elite as 16 teams reached that mark.

20 years ago it was 5 teams
But two losses is...if you’re expecting fewer than two losses every year you will be sadly disappointed. If we played in a different conference we could do that, but not in the Big 10 East.

Corley was hired to coach RBs. He was switched to WR when Seider became available unexpectedly and Franklin couldn't pass on that opportunity.

A few years ago when I was critical of Corley it had to do with his lack of recruiting at the D1 level. I am not exactly sure, but I believe his previous coaching stops were at schools like James Madison before being at Army for 1 year. Recruiting at Army is a different beast. My take on Corley was that it is one thing to recruit for JMU vs. schools like William & Mary, it's a totally different beast to recruit for a Penn State vs. the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia.. and I just simply stated that the recruiting was my biggest concern with the Corley hire. Of coarse, the blind loyalasts saw this as treason and things got a little nasty.

All 5 of BC’s lineman made the all-ACC team this year. He had an All-American guard last year. So in two years at BC one could argue he has outdone anything Limegrover has done in four at PSU. Experience is overrated if a coach has experience at being mediocre. Love this hire.

Interesting. Should metrics matter then you've gotta wonder how long the DB coaches will last. Do we endure another season of making mediocre QBs look like Joe Montana. Thank you.

Can there ever be a thread about a new coach with positivity and excitement without a pissing match over coaches between the same people. On the surface, a great hire, makes complete sense. Limegrover wasn’t awful, nor was Rahne. They just didn’t seem to be getting us to the next level. The OL wasn’t improving at the rate most wanted, clearly James agreed. You’d have to be a fool to think the offense under Rahne wasn’t working as well as it could with some very questionable play calling at key moments of games. Injured or not, both McSorley and Cliffords play tailed off as the season went on the last two years. That’s a problem.

JF moved on, so should everyone else. Let’s hope these guys help improve the team over the next few years in multiple ways.

Everyone wants to fight about coaches one way or another. Turn the page. Let’s all trust JF has it figured out and be optimistic.
I’m very excited, optimistic and expecting improved offensive production with Coaches C and T. Hopefully the offense will help the defense as time of possession, field position and scoring keeps the D off the field, helps them play more aggressive with leads and a lot more in the tank in the 4th quarter.

I am always amused by fanboys who worship new coaches.....they are so much better than those who have actually coached here. LOL......how long till someone calls for them to be fired?
Wont be long if they don't produce results. You seem to be missing that little factoid, but wasn't it you that said coaches do not make the catches or the blocks so whats it to you if they get fired or not and who asks them to be fired?? Or don't you recall that stance you took?

"Not being targeted yet".

It's probably because their units are performing at the level we need them to.

The offense under Rahne, quite obviously, was not a championship-level offense. And the offensive line under Limegrower, quite obviously, was not a championship-level OL. Reasonable minds can differ as to why that was the case. But those units, collectively, were not up to standard. Plain and simple.

This notion that there's something in the DNA of posters here to attack coaches because they're coaches is just silly. Coaches that coach underperforming units are going to come under fire......just as they do at any big time program.

Disagree. Most of the big losses against better competition the last few years were mostly due to the defense. Two examples were last year’s loss to OSU and this year’s loss to Minnesota. All PSU had to do was prevent OSU from scoring 2 TDs with exactly 8 minutes left and we know what happened. OSU also scored the first TD on a screen pass and the PSU defense looked like they never saw that type of play. Rahne’s “lousy” offense racked up over 500 yards and 26 points against Me nnesota but the defense gave up 31. He also didn’t throw the 3 interceptions. Minnesota’s QB was a mere 18-20 passing and there were a number of plays where the DBs weren’t in the same zip code as the Minnesota receivers and looked totally confused.
This post is not intended to be an indictment of Pry or endorsement of Rahne. However, I don’t understand why Pry seems to be immune to valid criticism despite what I mentioned above whereas Rahne was ripped constantly and frequently IMHO opinion unfairly. Having said that I am excited about both of the new hires and hope they do a great job

Interesting. Should metrics matter then you've gotta wonder how long the DB coaches will last. Do we endure another season of making mediocre QBs look like Joe Montana. Thank you.

I think Franklin deserves the benefit of the doubt now. If he sees a position needs to be improved he will make an effort to hire an improvement. It seems like these last two hires are absolute home runs. With the level of talent available to Smith this coming year there is no excuse for us not having an elite secondary. If that does not happen it is reasonable to assume Smith and/or Banks are gone.

Reactions: tlbakernc
A few years ago when I was critical of Corley it had to do with his lack of recruiting at the D1 level. I am not exactly sure, but I believe his previous coaching stops were at schools like James Madison before being at Army for 1 year. Recruiting at Army is a different beast. My take on Corley was that it is one thing to recruit for JMU vs. schools like William & Mary, it's a totally different beast to recruit for a Penn State vs. the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia.. and I just simply stated that the recruiting was my biggest concern with the Corley hire. Of coarse, the blind loyalasts saw this as treason and things got a little nasty.

How does one get thru life without ridicule using “of coarse“ consistently? If I had a booger hanging out of my nose, I am pretty sure colleagues or friends would tell me, and I would pick it and eat it

Wont be long if they don't produce results. You seem to be missing that little factoid, but wasn't it you that said coaches do not make the catches or the blocks so whats it to you if they get fired or not and who asks them to be fired?? Or don't you recall that stance you took?
Don't drink and post......

It sucks seeing these guys (Ciarrocca, Trautwein) hired so far ahead of the season. I need them to fail so I can fire them. The Blue-White Game is three months away. That’s a long time to wait.

Isn’t there some other sport/team that can substitute for your drive to criticize / fire PSU coaches? College basketball? Premier League Soccer? Darts?

Better o line means more consistent offense, which takes pressure off of the defense.

actually the part of the OFF that has the issue is the passing game. pass blocking + WR's who can catch balls thrown from QB who is not totally on target + WR's who can get open + pass scheme

I think Franklin deserves the benefit of the doubt now. If he sees a position needs to be improved he will make an effort to hire an improvement. It seems like these last two hires are absolute home runs. With the level of talent available to Smith this coming year there is no excuse for us not having an elite secondary. If that does not happen it is reasonable to assume Smith and/or Banks are gone.
I honestly expect a better secondary assuming everyone is healthy. You have a good mixture of senior players and young depth that has seen enough of field in crucial games to step right in. Wade was starting to flash at times. Brisker will be in year 2. DJ will be back. TCF will be a tested senior. The 3 frosh looked like they could all play this year. Hopefully the DB's take that next big step.

O.K. We’ve had nearly 18 hours to RUMINATE. :eek: over Trautwine. Can we all agree that this was a disastrous hire?

:eek:

Last edited:
Elite secondary? That would be one h of coaching job. Where is the elite talent?

I am hoping we are better than this year without Reid and Taylor

Reactions: zubrus1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT