ADVERTISEMENT

It's official: Trautwein to PSU as OL Coach

Most important position coach in my mind. Give me a great o-line and it papers over a lot of cracks.

Great college career, NFL playing experience, successful early start to his coaching career and from the Eastern borders of our natural recruiting territory
Most difficult position in my opinion to coach in football.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Franklin is pulling out all the stops, love it! Hope the Rahne and limegrover fan boys give these new coaches a shot.
After a bad game this board will suddenly be filled with Rahne fans longing for the good old days.

Reactions: Kiber
I was signaling you specifically Marshall. I know you are depressed seeing Rahne and limegrover leave, I'd assume AWS is next.
See, this post shows that most of you have no idea what you’re posting about. I am not a Rahne or Limegrover fan, it doesn’t bother me one bit that they are gone because I’m a Franklin fan and I trust his decision making ability. I don’t have the audacity to think I know more than he does, like many on this board. If he felt it was necessary to get rid of Limegrover, then it was and I support the new coach. I also won’t turn on him the minute we have a play that doesn’t work. I was also not a Rahne fan, but unlike many of the know it all folks on this board, I can’t say for certain that Franklin waved a magic wand and got ODU to hire him...I think that’s a bit far fetched. And I don’t claim to read minds so I can’t say what Franklin’s opinion on Rahne leaving is....again, many of the psychics on this board claim to know, but I don’t. As long as we keep winning and competing I will be happy with anybody Franklin has coaching because I support him and I think supporting a coach means trusting his decisions.

Truth hurt Sparky?

What "truth" are you providing? Basically that you trust all things franklin but simultaneously lament the future games when our new OC gets bitched about? What is your point exactly, that we all trust franklin and when he hires new coaches we shouldn't be excited?

What "truth" are you providing? Basically that you trust all things franklin but simultaneously lament the future games when our new OC gets bitched about? What is your point exactly, that we all trust franklin and when he hires new coaches we shouldn't be excited?
Oh, right, you all trust Franklin except his clock management sucks, his OC sucks, his in game coaching sucks, he doesn’t have his team prepared, he can’t finish games, he can’t beat OSU, he can’t beat MSU consistently enough, he can’t beat Michigan consistently enough, he can’t win on the road, he’s too loyal, he shouldn’t ice a kicker, he said stupid stuff after the OSU loss....boy, I would love to have people that trusted me that much. My point is, like another poster stated, remember all this excitement about the hire when they have their first bad series and try to avoid pissing on the guy right out of the gate. Is that clear enough for you?

Oh, right, you all trust Franklin except his clock management sucks, his OC sucks, his in game coaching sucks, he doesn’t have his team prepared, he can’t finish games, he can’t beat OSU, he can’t beat MSU consistently enough, he can’t beat Michigan consistently enough, he can’t win on the road, he’s too loyal, he shouldn’t ice a kicker, he said stupid stuff after the OSU loss....boy, I would love to have people that trusted me that much. My point is, like another poster stated, remember all this excitement about the hire when they have their first bad series and try to avoid pissing on the guy right out of the gate. Is that clear enough for you?

Okay, I'll take that under advisement. If only ever fan message board could have such an arbiter of righteousness as you AWS.

Reactions: Pittston-Lion
Okay, I'll take that under advisement. If only ever fan message board could have such an arbiter of righteousness as you AWS.
Much better to have a bunch of know it all wannabe coaches who bitch constantly about every decision the coach makes....that’s much more refreshing.

See, this post shows that most of you have no idea what you’re posting about. I am not a Rahne or Limegrover fan, it doesn’t bother me one bit that they are gone because I’m a Franklin fan and I trust his decision making ability. I don’t have the audacity to think I know more than he does, like many on this board. If he felt it was necessary to get rid of Limegrover, then it was and I support the new coach. I also won’t turn on him the minute we have a play that doesn’t work. I was also not a Rahne fan, but unlike many of the know it all folks on this board, I can’t say for certain that Franklin waved a magic wand and got ODU to hire him...I think that’s a bit far fetched. And I don’t claim to read minds so I can’t say what Franklin’s opinion on Rahne leaving is....again, many of the psychics on this board claim to know, but I don’t. As long as we keep winning and competing I will be happy with anybody Franklin has coaching because I support him and I think supporting a coach means trusting his decisions.

That’s about the most rational and levelheaded post I’ve seen in awhile.

obama_170156-520x320.jpg

Much better to have a bunch of know it all wannabe coaches who bitch constantly about every decision the coach makes....that’s much more refreshing.

Yeah, it's called a message board, a free one at that, for fans(fanatics). If you find it so offputting, maybe it's time to spew your righteousness in th OP-ed in your town paper or at the coffee shop. Truth is, you are going to get posts that are critical of our coaches from time to time on a GD message board. Big deal? Just ignore it.

It seems like I've read this for a week in different posts. Can we all just stop bitching about who said what and just put this shit to rest already? You say in one post you're done and then continue it elsewhere. You're ignore to me if you can't stop.

On Penn State:

“It was the best academic and athletic university in the country then, and it remains so today"

:eek:
At approacning 71 yrs old, brings tears to my eyes. Not going to mention Joe's Grand Experiment, but my Karen and myself certainly like the projection of academic values for the future. I know we aren't stressing the elite academic programs available to the players, but, ....graduate.

It sucks seeing these guys (Ciarrocca, Trautwein) hired so far ahead of the season. I need them to fail so I can fire them. The Blue-White Game is three months away. That’s a long time to wait.

Yeah, it's called a message board, a free one at that, for fans(fanatics). If you find it so offputting, maybe it's time to spew your righteousness in th OP-ed in your town paper or at the coffee shop. Truth is, you are going to get posts that are critical of our coaches from time to time on a GD message board. Big deal? Just ignore it.
Time to time? That’s rich.

It seems like I've read this for a week in different posts. Can we all just stop bitching about who said what and just put this shit to rest already? You say in one post you're done and then continue it elsewhere. You're ignore to me if you can't stop.
When people bring me into a thread I have to respond....sorry if that offends you.

To be clear, I think CJF made solid hires for OC and OL. We need to start recognizing that he is an elite HC.

Well, your prior comment about "fanboys" led me to believe you were very bitter (about Rahne and Limeroover departing). I misinterpreted you then.

This is a really impressive hire. Good to see Franklin continue to bring in promising up and comers mixed with experienced guys. Trautwein’s resume over the past couple years in really impressive with what he’s had on his O-Line

Can there ever be a thread about a new coach with positivity and excitement without a pissing match over coaches between the same people. On the surface, a great hire, makes complete sense. Limegrover wasn’t awful, nor was Rahne. They just didn’t seem to be getting us to the next level. The OL wasn’t improving at the rate most wanted, clearly James agreed. You’d have to be a fool to think the offense under Rahne wasn’t working as well as it could with some very questionable play calling at key moments of games. Injured or not, both McSorley and Cliffords play tailed off as the season went on the last two years. That’s a problem.

JF moved on, so should everyone else. Let’s hope these guys help improve the team over the next few years in multiple ways.

Everyone wants to fight about coaches one way or another. Turn the page. Let’s all trust JF has it figured out and be optimistic.

Does anyone know if this guys knows zone blocking and RPO? Clearly Ciarrocco is going to need him to be.

Super Excited. Young, energetic, very talented coach with 2 national championships as an all conference player in the SEC. This will be very attractive to elite recruits. Home Run. So, glad it looks like James is practicing what he's preaching in doing whatever it takes to win (also with Ciarocca hire). Limegrover wasn't bad, but clearly he thinks Trautwein is better.

Reactions: 81b&w
After a bad game this board will suddenly be filled with Moorhead (perhaps) fans longing for the good old days.

FIFY

On the surface, a great hire, makes complete sense. Limegrover wasn’t awful, nor was Rahne. They just didn’t seem to be getting us to the next level. The OL wasn’t improving at the rate most wanted, clearly James agreed.

It's kinda crazy that while having a talent like Saquon, we could pass block semi decent, but couldn't run block for our lives.

Then we graduate two NFL starters from the back field, and we flip flop; this year we ran semi decent but couldn't pass block very well.

---

One thing that I *believe* will help us going into next year offensively: our playbook will get a bit of a makeover. Sure, we won't be changing drastically, but there will be additions (and subtractions) that won't be on film since the Moorhead era began.

Additionally, we are going to return 9 starters. Our QB will be in his second year. Pat F will be hungry (I'm not concerned with how Minnesota used TEs previously; they didn't have any player his caliber). Dotson is very solid and was under utilized. We'll have 4 very good RBs returning with 2 prospects arriving. The OL has 6 guys with plenty of experience and a 7th some think could solidify RT.

If he can get Clifford settled back down and healthy while developing some WRs to complement Dotson, I think we can be dangerous with JB leading the way, Cain coming in as the hammer, and Ford/Slade becoming the true #3 (I *believe* one of them could be tested in the slot).

Reactions: ftlpsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT