ADVERTISEMENT

It's a good thing PSU plays Rutgers in November, else.....

0 for November would be on the table....:D:eek::D:eek::D:eek:

cf-dafuq.gif

Reactions: RU31trap
Chris Farley truly one of the best comedians of all time. I really miss his work on SNL.

As it relates to the OP's concern I don't see Penn State losing to Indiana. As for Rutgers that's a foregone conclusion.

Last edited:
... else if PSU was actually playing a competent football team we would have to come in from deer hunting on the 30th to watch it.....

;)

Last edited:
Well, if you think Indiana is a gimme, then I agree with you. But, they're not
Notre Dame thought we were a gimmie at South Bend in 1990, especially when they jumped up 21-0. How did that turn out in the long run? Games are played on the field for a reason.

My theory is that these people do this for their own psychological well being... they put themselves in a "no lose" situation.... IF the team loses then "they are right", they get to pound their chest and claim they "were right" and they get to come to message boards like this and post "see.... I was right". IF the team wins, then they are really happy because they are Penn State fans and ultimately they want to see us win. They put themselves in a "no lose" situation.

I have a buddy who actually hated the Dallas Cowboys so much that every week he'd put a small $20 bet on the Cowboys to win/cover. His thinking was that if the Cowboys lost than he'd gladly eat the $20. But if the Cowboys won, at least winning money could help him stomach their win a little. He used to call it his "no lose" bet.

My theory is that these people do this for their own psychological well being... they put themselves in a "no lose" situation.... IF the team loses then "they are right", they get to pound their chest and claim they "were right" and they get to come to message boards like this and post "see.... I was right". IF the team wins, then they are really happy because they are Penn State fans and ultimately they want to see us win. They put themselves in a "no lose" situation.

I have a buddy who actually hated the Dallas Cowboys so much that every week he'd put a small $20 bet on the Cowboys to win/cover. His thinking was that if the Cowboys lost than he'd gladly eat the $20. But if the Cowboys won, at least winning money could help him stomach their win a little. He used to call it his "no lose" bet.
This makes as much sense as anything on this board lately.

0 for November? So now Franklin will serve a dry turkey at the team Thanksgiving dinner. How did things become so dire? :(

Last edited:

This is so, so true.

People put their own egos ahead of their other loyalties to the point where they essentially root against their team for the sake of being able to say "I told you so".

I'll be honest. I've been there. Toward the end of John Groce's tenure as the Illini basketball coach, I was essentially rooting for Illinois to lose games because I was on record early saying that Groce had to go. Looking back, it's an absolute dick move. Because the kids playing for that team put their heart and soul into it, and here I am -- an alum -- rooting for them to lose because it validates my opinion of their coach. Total dick move. I vowed never to do that again. Hopefully I stick to my word.

It's very, very clear we have that same sentiment here among certain people. What makes it so bizarre, however, is that James Franklin has been incredibly successful. It's one thing to revel in his failure if he's been churning out 7-5 seasons. But 11-3, 11-2, 9-4, and probably 10-2........this close to the sanctions years? Unbelievable.

But alas, the human ego is powerful stuff.

Reactions: Kiber
This is so, so true.

People put their own egos ahead of their other loyalties to the point where they essentially root against their team for the sake of being able to say "I told you so".

I'll be honest. I've been there. Toward the end of John Groce's tenure as the Illini basketball coach, I was essentially rooting for Illinois to lose games because I was on record early saying that Groce had to go. Looking back, it's an absolute dick move. Because the kids playing for that team put their heart and soul into it, and here I am -- an alum -- rooting for them to lose because it validates my opinion of their coach. Total dick move. I vowed never to do that again. Hopefully I stick to my word.

It's very, very clear we have that same sentiment here among certain people. What makes it so bizarre, however, is that James Franklin has been incredibly successful. It's one thing to revel in his failure if he's been churning out 7-5 seasons. But 11-3, 11-2, 9-4, and probably 10-2........this close to the sanctions years? Unbelievable.

But alas, the human ego is powerful stuff.

I agree. And especially the part about it being bizarre because Franklin's results are very good (excellent) by any "Penn State standard" you want to measure him against. Give him year #1 as a "get out of jail free" year because a new staff transitioning in. But then go his last 4 years. Like you said, 11-3, 11-2, 9-4 and most likely either 11-2 (win bowl) or 11-3 (lose bowl). Take any "Penn State measuring standard"... total wins over a 4-year period, double-digit wins over a 4-year period, NYD bowl games over a 4 year period, top 10 rankings over a 4-year period .... And Franklin's last 4 years compares to just about any 4-year period during the JoePa era.

The other factor is that I believe many of these people exist in a very myopic world. I was in a little debate the other day with a guy who claimed he hated Franklin because HE blows at least 1 game every year to a team with inferior talent. He ranted about how we need to get rid of Franklin because as long as we have Franklin we are doomed to blow 1 game every year to a team we should not lose too.... I pointed out that just in the last 2-3 years Dabo Sweeney lost to pitt, Ed Orgeron lost to Troy, Lincoln Riley lost to Iowa St and K-State, Urban Meyer lost to Iowa and Purdue, Kirby Smart lost to South Carolina..... Probably with the exception of Nick Saban EVERY coach in college football is guilty of losing to teams with inferior talent.... and we ain't getting Nick Saban. ....... But of coarse he did not want to let facts get into the way of his thinking and he replied back "as long as we have Franklin we'll lose a game a year".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT