ADVERTISEMENT

Is the PSU vs. OSU rivalry starting to cut into the OSU vs. Michigan rivalry?

dcf4psu

Nov 7, 2003
State College
Michigan is looking into the abyss. Harbaugh isn't working. He was everything they wanted in a head coach and it isn't working.

The PSU vs. OSU games are more competitive than the big rivalry game since Michigan can no longer compete against OSU. IMO the PSU game is slowly becoming a bigger rivalry game because the games are so competitive.

As much as I dislike Harbaugh....I do think that next year U of M will be pretty good. The trouble that they have is that I believe that we will be good, tOSU is always good and MSU seems to have found a QB and they are very young......so U of M if they can find a QB should be pretty good next year but the Big 10 East will continue to beat the crap out of each other as Wisconsin fans can book their INDY reservations today, for U of M not sure why 3 years in, JH has not found a QB will see if his 3rd Transfer works for the Wolverines...

Reactions: psu2016
No.

I'd compare this to Bama with their Auburn and LSU games. Nothing will replace Auburn as Bama's rival, but a strong LSU demands their attention about as much.

OSU probably got lazy most the past 6 years with Michigan down, MSU strong but not taken serious and PSU going through its roster depletion. All of a sudden they're rushing the field for beating #2 PSU a year after PSU upsets their top 5 team.

When you throw in the level PSU is getting to recruiting and beating Urbs for recruits head to head, OSU has to see PSU as a threat long term.

As much as I dislike Harbaugh....I do think that next year U of M will be pretty good. The trouble that they have is that I believe that we will be good, tOSU is always good and MSU seems to have found a QB and they are very young......so U of M if they can find a QB should be pretty good next year but the Big 10 East will continue to beat the crap out of each other as Wisconsin fans can book their INDY reservations today, for U of M not sure why 3 years in, JH has not found a QB will see if his 3rd Transfer works for the Wolverines...
I see nothing on the field that seems to indicate that QB is the only problem Michigan has. Their defense has been overrated. They seem to be like the Domers now - great recruiting but don't get it done on the field. But we will see at the Big House next year.

no, or at least not this generation.... too much history behind their game.
However, if UM stays down for a protracted time and Penn State and Ohio State continue to have slugfests, it will grow.
Right now, it is like LSU/Tennessee for Bama or Georgia/Florida for Auburn...... rivals and hated, but not Iron Bowl level.

psunrivaled-rotating-16-2.jpg

Apparently people have forgotten what a true rival is, and not the broad definition that anyone you compete with is a rival.

When you won't call a school by its name (that team up north), and you cover all the M's on signs across campus during game week, and the other team hates you just as much, that's a rivalry.

We're a big game for OSU now, we're a strong conference foe, but we're not their rival, the way that term is commonly used. We make look at it that way, but they don't. We're just a big game to them.

It would take years, more like decades, for ANYONE to supplant Michigan as OSU's rival. That's how deep it runs. It's ingrained in the culture of both schools and their alumni.

Our rival, as much as some people hate to admit it, is still Pitt. But it's taken 15 years of not playing in football to dent it and diminish it to some degree. Younger fans haven't "learned" it. But among many older fans, nothing has changed.

Reactions: jwinslow
Apparently people have forgotten what a true rival is, and not the broad definition that anyone you compete with is a rival.

When you won't call a school by its name (that team up north), and you cover all the M's on signs across campus during game week, and the other team hates you just as much, that's a rivalry.

We're a big game for OSU now, we're a strong conference foe, but we're not their rival, the way that term is commonly used. We make look at it that way, but they don't. We're just a big game to them.

It would take years, more like decades, for ANYONE to supplant Michigan as OSU's rival. That's how deep it runs. It's ingrained in the culture of both schools and their alumni.

Our rival, as much as some people hate to admit it, is still Pitt. But it's taken 15 years of not playing in football to dent it and diminish it to some degree. Younger fans haven't "learned" it. But among many older fans, nothing has changed.
I'm from the 50ties and people my age always seen Syracuse as our big rival. Pitt was an afterthought until they had the few good years and became competitive.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I think the analogy of Bama vs Auburn and LSU is pretty similar. Bama vs Auburn will always be the main rivalry but Bama vs LSU is huge and often more relevant in the national picture when Auburn is down. It’s a similar situation with OSU vs Michigan and Penn St.

Short memories here. Didn’t the 2016 version decide the Big Ten East, and didn’t it go to overtime?

The definitive answer is that PSU/OSU will never usurp Michigan/Ohio St. it is what it is, and I don’t even really pay it much thought.

I think we would be better served in a different conference for football, but I think the rest of the sports benefit from being aligned with Big Ten and I think our identity as a state and the way the school carries itself also aligns with the typical Big Ten

Michigan is looking into the abyss. Harbaugh isn't working. He was everything they wanted in a head coach and it isn't working.

The PSU vs. OSU games are more competitive than the big rivalry game since Michigan can no longer compete against OSU. IMO the PSU game is slowly becoming a bigger rivalry game because the games are so competitive.
Well, I'll say this. Urban's probably a lot more worried about Penn State than Michigan these days.

Reactions: Langmuir
Don't care if OSU fans think of PSU as their biggest rival. I just want their fans to come to realize that PSU is their biggest obstacle in winning the B10 every year not Michigan.

Agreed--I don't understand why anyone cares who another fan base sees as their rival. Our objective should be to be the best team in the Big Ten...everyone's in our way

I'm an older fan and I no longer see Pitt as our rival.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT