ADVERTISEMENT

Is the offensive scheme in general the big problem?

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
It wasn't that many years ago we commented regularly that the offense was easy to diagnose and that most of us were calling the play before it happened 80% + of the time. [Ahhh, remeber when we'd get chastised for saying as much, only to later learn we were right.. other teams DID know whart was coming... but I digress.] Under Moorhead, even if we got a bit obvious we always had SB and often a bad call turned into a TD... he was that good.

I think Sanders is very good and now and then he will break one, but i don't have that sense of excitement I got when SB touched the ball.. you just knew it could be 6 EVERY time. So Rahne has an offense with some good features but no one to clean up the mess of bad playcalling except Trace... and maybe that is asking too much. And maybe touting him as the next Baker Mayfield, Heisman winner, savior of the program was a touch too much on the man's shoulders. Just a thought...

The whole year has nearly slipped past us and there just isn't a sense that we've got a plan... that pre-season we were going to run plays with the idea of showing it now, then doing something off of it next week... then something different the week after... and so forth. Jet sweeps are cool but it's the fakes and reverses etc that can/should follow that never materialized. That's just one example.. there a quite a few others.

I've (probably wrong about this) presumed the staff developed a scheme from January to July that had long range plans within plans, strategies designed to confuse the opposition and prevent them from being comfortable they knew our stuff. Add to that my suspicion that we are tipping plays and that with 2 weeks with film their coaches found the trends... piling on, we have what should be a very good offensive line that has looked pretty offensive -- they sure did on saturday.

So I'm no coach, but are my expectations way off? Is it as simple as the coaches try to keep it as rudimentary as possible with the hopes that execution plus talent will win the day? I watch other teams and they seem to have all kinds of gadgets (and did we hang all our hopes on Tommy as the Lion being our primary "gadget"... yikers) and make in-game adjustments to run plays off of previously successful plays. Their kids don't seem to have trouble making the transition.

Admittedly frustrated.

It wasn't that many years ago we commented regularly that the offense was easy to diagnose and that most of us were calling the play before it happened 80% + of the time. [Ahhh, remeber when we'd get chastised for saying as much, only to later learn we were right.. other teams DID know whart was coming... but I digress.] Under Moorhead, even if we got a bit obvious we always had SB and often a bad call turned into a TD... he was that good.

I think Sanders is very good and now and then he will break one, but i don't have that sense of excitement I got when SB touched the ball.. you just knew it could be 6 EVERY time. So Rahne has an offense with some good features but no one to clean up the mess of bad playcalling except Trace... and maybe that is asking too much. And maybe touting him as the next Baker Mayfield, Heisman winner, savior of the program was a touch too much on the man's shoulders. Just a thought...

The whole year has nearly slipped past us and there just isn't a sense that we've got a plan... that pre-season we were going to run plays with the idea of showing it now, then doing something off of it next week... then something different the week after... and so forth. Jet sweeps are cool but it's the fakes and reverses etc that can/should follow that never materialized. That's just one example.. there a quite a few others.

I've (probably wrong about this) presumed the staff developed a scheme from January to July that had long range plans within plans, strategies designed to confuse the opposition and prevent them from being comfortable they knew our stuff. Add to that my suspicion that we are tipping plays and that with 2 weeks with film their coaches found the trends... piling on, we have what should be a very good offensive line that has looked pretty offensive -- they sure did on saturday.

So I'm no coach, but are my expectations way off? Is it as simple as the coaches try to keep it as rudimentary as possible with the hopes that execution plus talent will win the day? I watch other teams and they seem to have all kinds of gadgets (and did we hang all our hopes on Tommy as the Lion being our primary "gadget"... yikers) and make in-game adjustments to run plays off of previously successful plays. Their kids don't seem to have trouble making the transition.

Admittedly frustrated.
There is no rhythm to this offense. It’s not really clear what they’re Trying to do.

Michigan cleaned offensive staff and I liked the diversity they can have. They can power with a full back and QB under center, they mix in some shotgun read option. I don’t know why they can’t have more diversity. I sat there during the Michigan State game and it looked like we ran the same 5 plays the entire game out of the same formations with the same groupings. We must be a piece a cake to scheme for right now.

All I know is the “50/50” balls which were really 75/25 with the big strong receivers are more like 25/75 now.

After watching Alabama use Jeudy on the shovel pass, I can’t believe Hamler wouldn’t be effective by incorporating this in the offense. They can definitely use a lot of misdirection by running this three or four times a game.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Watching the offense, it looks like the OL doesn't know what play was called and are just winging it.

Some say it is better than it was a couple of years ago and that is probably true, but there is something just wrong with how they play.

Admittedly frustrated.

before the season there was a lot of discussion around the guys we were replacing and what was missed. in SB we had a guy who changed the momentum of several games with a single play. there were times when we were on the ropes or mo had gone to other side....then SB just rips a TD run and all is changed. i can see 4-5 losses in the last two years that became wins due to SB. good depth at RB this year but no SB.

our OL is filled with experienced older players who all were rated 4* or higher. The OL also has backups with similar pedigree. we still cannot block certain schemes at the line, so even mediocre to poor teams can put DEF in our face and succeed. this looks like scheme.

our WRs have world class speed and nearly everyone is 4* or better. they can run away from any secondary as long as holding is enforced. even UM DBs cannot cover our WRs legally. we do not see a lot of separation actually occurring. so that feels like scheme.

TE is a big drop from MG, but 87 is progressing. Kuntz looks like a possible upgrade in receiving but need to wait on that.

same QB this year but many more struggles. that feels like coaching

DL - lots of departures and injuries. this is key part of the story re giving up the run plays.

LB - big drop off here. we do not have a LB who could start for any other BIG program.

DB - pretty solid but some injuries.

Punting - drop off about 5 yds per punt

Admittedly frustrated.
January thru june developing a scheme?? Actually more time is spent recruiting it seems. But what you think are reasonable expectations
It's more like maybe the month of March

January thru june developing a scheme?? Actually more time is spent recruiting it seems. But what you think are reasonable expectations
It's more like maybe the month of March

Yeah, ur probably right. I'd like to think that if it was my job I'd be spending at least 40 hours a week just working things out and coming up with some improvisation. Of course, he's got to recruit, too (and yeah, I conveniently left that out lol). I remember being young and working 65 hrs a week at something i loved, so time shouldn't be an issue (although i'd wager most of thesse coaches could do without recruiting trips).

I presumed he'd need more time because we didn't have SB (Gesicki, Hamilton etc) so he'd need to come up with something different.

I presumed waaaaay too much :confused:

WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY!

No scheme, no rhythm, no misdirection, no motion (no emotion either), no plays to set up other plays, way too predictable, a QB that’s playing very average (at best), too many bad throws AND too many drops, no competency in defending a blitz or taking advantage of and attacking a blitz, too many mental goofs, failure to convert third downs, etc. = not even being on the field for close to half of the game!

No creativity AT ALL.....it’s like our coaching staff has never watched any other football games and seen formations / plays that result in defensive confusion and easy gains.

Plus we ALWAYS look to the sideline and allow the D to get set. Call a play and run the play. Do it again. Do it again.

Just a general question do we run our entire offense out of the "11" package which is a rb, te and 3 wr at all times. ?

Yeah, ur probably right. I'd like to think that if it was my job I'd be spending at least 40 hours a week just working things out and coming up with some improvisation. Of course, he's got to recruit, too (and yeah, I conveniently left that out lol). I remember being young and working 65 hrs a week at something i loved, so time shouldn't be an issue (although i'd wager most of thesse coaches could do without recruiting trips).

I presumed he'd need more time because we didn't have SB (Gesicki, Hamilton etc) so he'd need to come up with something different.

I presumed waaaaay too much :confused:
Just a general question do we run our entire offense out of the "11" package which is a rb, te and 3 wr at all times. ?
all the time?? We've played some snaps w 2 TE or 2 RB do not all the time

So basically when we run the Lion package is only time we do not have 11 personal

Let's find out what the kids and coaches are all about this weekend. We owe them that. I want to see a lot of emotion and a healthy QB... whoever that is.

Reactions: BBrown
First off, I'm a huge Trace fan...what he lacks with his arm he makes up with his feet. Has the innate ability to feel defensive pressure and make plays. Has a huge heart and has been a proven winner throughout his high school/college career.

Since 2016 and 2017 seasons....Penn State has lost the following from their offense:
2016/2017...Saquon---who created yards when there was nothing there....How many times could Trace throw the ball to him out in space and let him create. A defensive coordinator had to worry about him not only on the ground but through the air.
2016-Godwin- precise route runner-playmaker-and did not take plays off....Physical downfield blocker
2016/2017-Hamilton- (see Godwin)
2016/2017- Gesicki --a 6'6" TE whose pass catching skills improved 100% since he was a freshman....How many "jump balls" were thrown to him where Mike could use his size and good speed to make plays?

Now you're the opposing defensive coordinator during those 2 seasons who are you worried about? How about all of the above....Penn State had too many weapons......and all of the above are now playing on Sundays.

Now fast forward to 2018...you're the opposing defensive coordinator scheming against PSU....who currently on this offense are you worried about??

Trace--keep him between the tackles and do not let him create with his feet...the 4 above playmakers from the past are gone and certainly made Trace's passing abilities much better than they actually are
Sanders---a good back--would like to see him run more north-south than east-west...doesn't seem to have that breakaway speed when he does get in space.
Johnson-Thompkins-Polk-----drops/lack physicality/take plays off....huge disappointment this year....Johnson at 6'4" should be a physical force.
Hamler- playmaker....freshman with huge upside....will need to become more physical with his blocking
Dotson---another freshman who I wish we saw at the beginning of the year.
Freiermuth-freshman TE who I'm the most impressed with

The RPO has been seen run by this team the past few years....what new wrinkles have been unveiled? Has the offensive play calling been watered down and limited by the lack of execution from our skill set? Throw in an offensive line who has seemed to regress and the offense is now barely sputtering......Evaluation needed from the top on down

I know they were going up against a great D but my god were they bad. Just down right putrid in everyway imaginable.
Something big needs to change in off season.

I am beginning to believe running the RPO 100% is a big problem. Football has always been a "cat & mouse" sport.... Offenses do "this".... Defenses figure it out and do "that".... then Offenses do "that"... and defenses figure it out and do "this" ....

I equate running the RPO 100% of the time like the old "Run & Shoot" Offenses we saw in the 80's & 90's. If you remember, the Run & Shoot took football by storm. Offenses went with 4-5 wides, empty backfields, quick passes .... and they were putting up video-game like stats. Then DCs figured it out. They basically said that if you only use 5 OL, with no one in the backfield to help block, then we are just going to bring 6-7 rushers every play... you'll beat us on some passes where you have more receivers than we have defenders, but by the end of the game we'll have your QB on injured reserve. I believe it was Buddy Ryan who nick-named it the "Chuck & Duck". Because after he throws the ball your QB better be ducking.

I believe we are seeing this now with the RPO. I believe DCs have figured it out. Much like they figured out the Run & Shoot, much like they figured out the Spread Offense guys like Joe Tiller used to run. The "cat & mouse" game of DCs figuring out the RPO is advantage DCs.

Last edited:
The BIG problem, IMO is Trace got hurt and I think may have been banged up a bit since the OSU game...up to that point the offense was scoring at will even with the drops...since the OSU game TM has been wayyyyyy off in his accuracy and has not run as much. This past week UM realized quickly TM wasn't going to run and if he did he was sure to avoid any contact...unlike earlier in the season when he would look for contact and run people over. When your offense is predicated on the QB being able to run and he can't that pretty much shuts down the offense's ability to have any efficiency.

The WR have also taken a big step back this year...Hamler has been AWESOME but the others Johnson, Polk and Thompkins have been BAD! Polk has so many drops I can't see why CJF keeps running him out their so much...It is clear Dotson needs to be on the field from the previous few games. I know Hamler and Dotson at listed at the same pos., but I am sure Dotson could move out to Polk pos. without much difficulty...Its still running routes and catching the football.

All I know is the “50/50” balls which were really 75/25 with the big strong receivers are more like 25/75 now.

After watching Alabama use Jeudy on the shovel pass, I can’t believe Hamler wouldn’t be effective by incorporating this in the offense. They can definitely use a lot of misdirection by running this three or four times a game.
We ran the shovel pass three or four times in the bowl game and everyone was complaining about it (because they didn’t work). Now we’re calling for the shovel pass.if we ran a jet sweep that didn’t work, coaches would get roasted on here for implementing a crappy play like that.

Reactions: BBrown
We ran the shovel pass three or four times in the bowl game and everyone was complaining about it (because they didn’t work). Now we’re calling for the shovel pass.if we ran a jet sweep that didn’t work, coaches would get roasted on here for implementing a crappy play like that.
Play doesn’t have to work every time to be effective.

Michigan cleaned offensive staff and I liked the diversity they can have. They can power with a full back and QB under center, they mix in some shotgun read option. I don’t know why they can’t have more diversity. I sat there during the Michigan State game and it looked like we ran the same 5 plays the entire game out of the same formations with the same groupings. We must be a piece a cake to scheme for right now.

Very good points. I've watched too many teams over the past 5 weeks or so use a nice mix of plays. I'm not buying the whole its RPO or nothing at all, at least thats not what I've seen from OK, Okie St, Clemson, WVU and even Bama.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and psualt
Very good points. I've watched too many teams over the past 5 weeks or so use a nice mix of plays. I'm not buying the whole its RPO or nothing at all, at least thats not what I've seen from OK, Okie St, Clemson, WVU and even Bama.

Look up a level to the NFL. Last year after Wentz got hurt and they were using Foles, the Eagles were "dead". Their offense was struggling. Foles was looking much like the career back-up he was. So in a "what do we have to lose" move, they decided to go to an RPO to help Foles..... the rest is history. The Eagles' use of the RPO with Foles really helped them win a SB. But the Eagles have not gone to a 100% RPO Offense this year. You would think if any team was ready to jump onto the RPO party train with both feet, it would be the team who just used it to win a Super Bowl. But even in that scenario, the Eagles only use the RPO as a change up and on certain down & distance situations. They are not using the RPO 100% of the time. Makes you really question if it is an offense you can run 100% of the time.

Look up a level to the NFL. Last year after Wentz got hurt and they were using Foles, the Eagles were "dead". Their offense was struggling. Foles was looking much like the career back-up he was. So in a "what do we have to lose" move, they decided to go to an RPO to help Foles..... the rest is history. The Eagles' use of the RPO with Foles really helped them win a SB. But the Eagles have not gone to a 100% RPO Offense this year. You would think if any team was ready to jump onto the RPO party train with both feet, it would be the team who just used it to win a Super Bowl. But even in that scenario, the Eagles only use the RPO as a change up and on certain down & distance situations. They are not using the RPO 100% of the time. Makes you really question if it is an offense you can run 100% of the time.

I know its an apples/oranges comparison but The Titans and Mariotto did exactly the same thing last night.

I know its an apples/oranges comparison but The Titans and Mariotto did exactly the same thing last night.

Yes. Most teams now have RPO plays in their Offense. Just about every team can give you RPO looks. But I do not know any others who use the RPO 100% exclusively.

Yes. Most teams now have RPO plays in their Offense. Just about every team can give you RPO looks. But I do not know any others who use the RPO 100% exclusively.
you think every play we call is an RPO?

Misdirection is..............not what we do. RPO up the gut or run sideways for ...no gain is now our scheme. QB draws are now the mainstay of the running game since Slade is .......dinged up. Oh, throw in low percentage completion patterns (Trace hates diagonals and overthrows fly patterns) and you have an offense that is...........

I am beginning to believe running the RPO 100% is a big problem. Football has always been a "cat & mouse" sport.... Offenses do "this".... Defenses figure it out and do "that".... then Offenses do "that"... and defenses figure it out and do "this" ....

I equate running the RPO 100% of the time like the old "Run & Shoot" Offenses we saw in the 80's & 90's. If you remember, the Run & Shoot took football by storm. Offenses went with 4-5 wides, empty backfields, quick passes .... and they were putting up video-game like stats. Then DCs figured it out. They basically said that if you only use 5 OL, with no one in the backfield to help block, then we are just going to bring 6-7 rushers every play... you'll beat us on some passes where you have more receivers than we have defenders, but by the end of the game we'll have your QB on injured reserve. I believe it was Buddy Ryan who nick-named it the "Chuck & Duck". Because after he throws the ball your QB better be ducking.

I believe we are seeing this now with the RPO. I believe DCs have figured it out. Much like they figured out the Run & Shoot, much like they figured out the Spread Offense guys like Joe Tiller used to run. The "cat & mouse" game of DCs figuring out the RPO is advantage DCs.
The other problem with the run and shoot was that it was a score quickly offense which leaves your defense on the feild for long periods of time and then they get gassed by the end of the game. Or even worse, they are gassed week to week and shot by the end of the year.

We have issues with the scheme, preparation & game-time decisions by coaches, and a few experienced players. Other than that, no problems. All is well.

There is no rhythm to this offense. It’s not really clear what they’re Trying to do.

I think it is clear. The goal is to snap the ball as fast as possible no matter and get off the field as fast as possible.

Actually, PSU N E V E R snaps the ball until they give the D a full 10-15 seconds to get set after watching us line up!

Its really confounding to me that they never snap the ball without looking to the sideline, ever. I mean, fine, don't change any of the plays or players that are unsuccessful week to week, but how about a little quick snap to keep the defense on their heals a bit? Don't you think every team shows one thing defensively and then does another after we have gone through our ridiculous "check with me" to the sideline? Take the stunts that have given us so many problems. Teams are showing one thing, we call a play based on their defensive formation, then when we snap the ball the do stunts and twists and they just blow up our plays. How about we script 10 plays and just GO on a few drives and just see if that confuses D-Coordinators a bit or gives them some hesitancy.

Its really confounding to me that they never snap the ball without looking to the sideline, ever. I mean, fine, don't change any of the plays or players that are unsuccessful week to week, but how about a little quick snap to keep the defense on their heals a bit? Don't you think every team shows one thing defensively and then does another after we have gone through our ridiculous "check with me" to the sideline? Take the stunts that have given us so many problems. Teams are showing one thing, we call a play based on their defensive formation, then when we snap the ball the do stunts and twists and they just blow up our plays. How about we script 10 plays and just GO on a few drives and just see if that confuses D-Coordinators a bit or gives them some hesitancy.

I would think or at least hope that a QB with as much experience and as smart as Trace is would know what plays to call without looking at the sidelines. Its one of the things I've always hated about that system when I first saw Pat Fitzgerald using it. I don't know if he was the first but he's the first I remember.

Reactions: 81b&w and ram2020
We dont even throw the deep ball anymore. It's pathetic. It's the most should be exciting but boring offense i've ever seen. Shotgun all the time, RPO etc, its the new wave. We really have two hopes for scoring, trace runs a qb draw or hamler gets a quick slant and takes it all the way.

It reminds me of the NY Giants offense in so many ways, though I wish we were the one's with Saquon. Saquon covered up so many flaws and made so many around him better. But this offense is just a drag to watch, its actually remarkably bad considering Trace is back, the whole OL is back and Thompkins, Johnson, Polk (who stinks and must have pictures of JF or something) and the addition of KJ. Look I know we lost some important pieces but cmon here, that is far from the biggest problem. Miles Sanders is far from a slouch either and PF is a solid TE already.

This week I would line up (if JJ not healthy) Hamler, Dotson and Shorter and just go from there with Stevens (if Trace not healthy). Oh wait, Dotson can only play slot like Hamler so they have to share reps. There is part of the problem with this coaching staff. Get the 3 best WRs on the field as much as possible. If a guy can play slot, he can play outside for christ sake. Just get him on the field to make some plays for christ sake. Manufacture some touches for KJ.

2 years ago and even some last year I knew Trace was about to throw a bomb for a TD when he started running a bit then stepped up in the pocket and launched. I've seen that maybe once this year. Its just a disgrace all the way around and as much as I want to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt, its impossible. Something has to change or next year will be a complete waste with what should be on paper, one of PSU's best teams in the last 15 years.

I watch these teams like Oklahoma, W. Virginia and others and just think "why cant we do that, we have the athletes and QB." Last time I said that was the second year of John Donovan before he was fired. Something isnt right.

WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY!

No scheme, no rhythm, no misdirection, no motion (no emotion either), no plays to set up other plays, way too predictable, a QB that’s playing very average (at best), too many bad throws AND too many drops, no competency in defending a blitz or taking advantage of and attacking a blitz, too many mental goofs, failure to convert third downs, etc. = not even being on the field for close to half of the game!

No creativity AT ALL.....it’s like our coaching staff has never watched any other football games and seen formations / plays that result in defensive confusion and easy gains.

Plus we ALWAYS look to the sideline and allow the D to get set. Call a play and run the play. Do it again. Do it again.
Although it is the same base offense and despite the negative yardage plays, the viewer always seemed to have the sense that the previous OC was a step ahead of the opposing defense...same scheme, but no longer seems to be a step ahead. Can that truly be attributed solely to player turnover?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT