ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nick Nevills the fave at HWT next year?

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Just for fun on a slow Saturday afternoon. Heavyweight really clears out next year with Snyder, Coon and Kasper graduating. Nevills is better than Stoll. Is he favored to win a title?

Or is it Gable Steveson as a true Frosh?

What say you, all-knowing board?

I wouldn't count Stoll out just yet. Gable is going to be a monster in college no doubt about it.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Steveson. But I just watched him against Kirkvleit. If Kirkvleit puts on some good weight, stays healthy, and fulfills his potential, I'm holding off on the Stevenson shoe-in 4 timer talk.
I'm asking because I don't know and can't research it right now. Has Steveson beaten any really good college heavyweights? Guess I was just whelmed (not over or under) with him against Kirkvleit.

It only took one. Everyone knows Iowa fans are the best and most knowledgeable out there. I take their word as gospel...
Unfortunately it only takes one(who may or may not be a Iowa fan) to start a wild fire. It get's brought back here by guys like you holding cans of gasoline. Then it's all over! Damn interwebs burning dumpsters to the ground..;)

Steveson is already as good or better than any returning HWTs on feet. The questions will be how he handles bottom vs. college men, and how he deals with the beatings of a longer college season in his first year.

But if he shirts, then the top tier of HWTs will be Nick, Stoll, and Sasquatch. NC State's McDonald could also kick open that door. No reason Nick couldn't win.

Longer term: Steveson, Kerkvliet, and Schultz all at the same weight ... could be real interesting. Then add in Snacks, Singletary, Cassioppi, Hillger, Parris ...

I seem to remember another JR World Champ HWT that had plenty of people saying he would do very well in D1s. He dis do well but never made the top of the podium. Dom Bradley is his name

Just looked at InterMat...8 Seniors, 9 Juniors, 0 Sophomores, and 3 Freshmen (all in the 2nd half of the rankings).

Other than the top couple guys coming back next year, already mentioned above, I don't see who can challenge Steveson if he goes (I think he will). The following year, with another 9 of the current top-20 gone, he should be even more dominant.

To the OP's question, sure looks like Nick is in the mix next year.

Reactions: Unlimited424
His desire to make a run at Cael's undefeated mark may increase the odds of Gable shirting.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it only takes one(who may or may not be a Iowa fan) to start a wild fire. It get's brought back here by guys like you holding cans of gasoline. Then it's all over! Damn interwebs burning dumpsters to the ground..;)

That is where I have to disagree. I’m with Cali and what he said in another thread. After years of reading HR, I sadly don’t go there anymore (all of HR is on ignore I guess). Not even close to what it was like. It is the few that DON’T join in, and even many (if not most) of the so called “good” posters join in at least at times (albeit with more subtlety). No fun for me anymore and its too bad.

There are lots of other great posters on HR….but recently I rarely see many of the ones I came to enjoy over time. Not saying things are perfect here or anywhere (I don’t like when anyone provokes negativity on purpose), but call it what it is and own up to it and don’t try defending what anyone can clearly see. JMO.

I do however agree with the fact that some here like to blow certain things up in the name of humor and I agree that it is unnecessary and even wrong at times. Fine line with tact and humor. That however, is different from posting out of bitterness and anger, etc. Again, JMO. TIFWIW

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
I get that Gable is a freak athlete, but I just wonder if we shouldn't pump the brakes just a little on automatically anointing him a 4X champion.

Especially less than a week removed from the “greatest Wrestler in the world” being dominated in a folkstyle loss.

I'm not anointing him a 4 timer. And I would agree that after Kyle's loss no one is a sure thing.

But he has gone on record as saying he wants to match Caels undefeated mark (saw the video on HR :) ). If that's his goal, a redshirt seems more likely.

I'm not anointing him a 4 timer. And I would agree that after Kyle's loss no one is a sure thing.

But he has gone on record as saying he wants to match Caels undefeated mark (saw the video on HR :) ). If that's his goal, a redshirt seems more likely.
Um, he’s more likely to be an undefeated 4x’er if he goes next season. The weight class clears out and it’s one less year of facing Schultz, Kerk, Parris, Cass. That being said, I think he has as good of a chance as running the table as anyone has.

Reactions: Unlimited424
Just for fun on a slow Saturday afternoon. Heavyweight really clears out next year with Snyder, Coon and Kasper graduating. Nevills is better than Stoll. Is he favored to win a title?

Or is it Gable Steveson as a true Frosh?

What say you, all-knowing board?

Chris, I don't feel qualified to weigh in on whether Nick will be favorite to win heavy next year.

But I believe it's a pretty safe guess that we'll have at least 6 wrestlers ranked in the top 2 or 3 at the beginning of the year.

Jason, Cenzo, Mark, Bo, Nick N, and our 197 pounder. 6 wrestlers ranked in top 2 or 3 :) We're going to be good.

And that doesn't even include Nick Lee. Three of the seven wrestlers ranked above Nick are Seniors. So even if he nothing changes, and he stays behind McKenna he'll be ranked at 5th.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Just looked at InterMat...8 Seniors, 9 Juniors, 0 Sophomores, and 3 Freshmen (all in the 2nd half of the rankings).

Other than the top couple guys coming back next year, already mentioned above, I don't see who can challenge Steveson if he goes (I think he will). The following year, with another 9 of the current top-20 gone, he should be even more dominant.

To the OP's question, sure looks like Nick is in the mix next year.

Kyle Snyder was every bit the recruit that Stevenson is and he couldn't win his first try, either. And didn't he even take an Olympic shirt?

Sure, Stevenson is capable, but I'm going to hold off on anointing him the favorite. Nevills and Stoll will definitely have something to say about that.

Kyle Snyder was every bit the recruit that Stevenson is and he couldn't win his first try, either. And didn't he even take an Olympic shirt?

Sure, Stevenson is capable, but I'm going to hold off on anointing him the favorite. Nevills and Stoll will definitely have something to say about that.

Snyder did not take an Olympic RS, he competed as a true frosh and lost in the 197 finals to Gadsen of ISU.

Snyder did not take an Olympic RS, he competed as a true frosh and lost in the 197 finals to Gadsen of ISU.

Yep

He did skip his senior year of high school wrestling and trained at the Olympic Training Center. Maybe that’s what he was thinking

I get that Gable is a freak athlete, but I just wonder if we shouldn't pump the brakes just a little on automatically anointing him a 4X champion.

Agreed. Stevenson is a great talent, but winning even one national title is a challenge. Winning four is exceedingly daunting. Could he do it? Possibly, but I'm all for seeing him compete in a NCAA Tournament first before handing him the trophy. JMO but I believe Nick will have a say in who wins the title next year. He is talented enough, he just needs to put it all together over three grueling days.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Gable is great(really great).
Over under on championships 2.5
Chance of undefeated career less than 10% imo.
Chance of even 1 team title during career 1%
Chance Jammez uses any Gable success to disparage Cael 99.99%
Chance Gable could beat Nico in the room 100%

matching or surpassing 159-0 with four individual titles? I will certainly wager that and even give 5-1 odds. Hard to do. Talent is there, but it requires being flawless and injury free. It is hard to get that many matches in a career unless you are very healthy and big guys get injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Gable is great(really great).
Over under on championships 2.5
Chance of undefeated career less than 10% imo.
Chance of even 1 team title during career 1%
Chance Jammez uses any Gable success to disparage Cael 99.99%
Chance Gable could beat Nico in the room 100%

matching or surpassing 159-0 with four individual titles? I will certainly wager that and even give 5-1 odds. Hard to do. Talent is there, but it requires being flawless and injury free. It is hard to get that many matches in a career unless you are very healthy and big guys get injuries.
IMO you're underrating him. Jammen, that is.

Steveson is amazing, but he just beat another high schooler, from his own state, who was younger AND bumping up a weight by one point. Barring injuries he should have a fantastic career but I also think it's a bit premature to anoint him as a four timer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT