ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to play Andre Robinson if Lynch is gone for season?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I know the coaching staff wanted to Redshirt him, but after Barkley, there is a sharp drop off with Mark Allen and Scott. Robinson is another burner who can spark the running game like Barkley. With Miles Sanders hopefully coming in next season, and Swift after that, Robinson's chances of seeing significant action would be limited anyway. I think we try Robinson now and see how he can fill in at RB as a better #2 option for Barkley. If Barkley's ankle injury is worse than anticipated that keeps him our for awhile, it's a no-brainer to give Robinson a shot NOW!

Last edited:
Reactions: bmw199
It's certainly something Franklin needs to consider. It would be a great one-two punch if Barkley returns soon. OTOH, if Barkley is slow to heal taking the red shirt off Robinson could be a certainty for depth concerns alone. However, as is usually the case there are things we don't know which affect those kinds of decisions.

Reactions: 2atpsu
Jeez, it's like clockwork with you guys - always the kid who has not played is the best option.

If the staff believes they need to redshirt Robinson, or pull the shirt, is because of both this years and future needs. We have not really seen what Allen, Scott or Johnathon Thomas can do yet. There really has not been a running game to speak of and the games have not been so lopsided that there has been opportunity to play these guys.

You have no proof that Robinson is a "burner"...and is the answer. He is just the kid who has not played, so therefore, per BWI Group Think mentality, he is the best option.

SMH.

It's certainly something Franklin needs to consider. It would be a great one-two punch if Barkley returns soon. OTOH, if Barkley is slow to heal taking the red shirt off Robinson could be a certainty for depth concerns alone. However, as is usually the case there are things we don't know which affect those kinds of decisions.
Is Robinson healthy? Allen looks like a 3rd down back and Scot looks better returning kicks than taking a hand off from the QB. I wish we knew Thomas' status. He sounds like a true power runner. Would be nice to have as a change of pace.

Last edited:
Jeez, it's like clockwork with you guys - always the kid who has not played is the best option.

If the staff believes they need to redshirt Robinson, or pull the shirt, is because of both this years and future needs. We have not really seen what Allen, Scott or Johnathon Thomas can do yet. There really has not been a running game to speak of and the games have not been so lopsided that there has been opportunity to play these guys.

You have no proof that Robinson is a "burner"...and is the answer. He is just the kid who has not played, so therefore, per BWI Group Think mentality, he is the best option.

SMH.
Well, I watched Barkley's HS film and Robinson's as well. Barkley looked like the better overall RB, but Robinson wasn't far behind. You are right that coaches know more than I do, but their earlier decision was not based on Lynch going down!

SMH.
I trust this staff. The same staff who had Barkley on the bench for the Temple game and until the 4th quarter of the Buffalo game.

Stellar judgement from these guys.

Is Robinson healthy? Allen looks like a 3rd down back and Scot looks better return kicks than taking a hand off from the QB. I wish we knew Thomas' status. He sounds like a true power runner. Would be nice to have as a change of pace.

For analogy purposes only:

Allen is Mike Archie. Thomas could be a Tony Hunt. Nick Scott is Austin Scott (minus being a head case).

FWIW - Barkley is in the KiJana/Curt Warner mold.

I trust this staff. The same staff who had Barkley on the bench for the Temple game and until the 4th quarter of the Buffalo game.

Stellar judgement from these guys.

Barkley wasn't going to do any more than Lynch did against Temple - that was not the game plan. I guess you must have been watching another game that moment, or you would have figured that out.

I did not see the Buffalo game, so cannot comment.

But yeah - I trust these guys more than I would trust your insight.

Barkley wasn't going to do any more than Lynch did against Temple - that was not the game plan. I guess you must have been watching another game that moment, or you would have figured that out.

I did not see the Buffalo game, so cannot comment.

But yeah - I trust these guys more than I would trust your insight.
Keep pleasuring Donovan

Is Robinson healthy? Allen looks like a 3rd down back and Scot looks better returning kicks than taking a hand off from the QB. I wish we knew Thomas' status. He sounds like a true power runner. Would be nice to have as a change of pace.

I never heard that any of those guys are hurt. was Robinson injured? at this point, I think it would be a benefit to find out who can play among the RBs. forget the RS idea. Barkely will get hurt more = he runs in a way that will lead to more injuries. he is Adrian Peterson. you need to plan on him being out from time to time.

I would also like to see them try Farmer at some type of OFF position =maybe RB. how many of the RBs have his size, strength and speed.

I never heard that any of those guys are hurt. was Robinson injured? at this point, I think it would be a benefit to find out who can play among the RBs. forget the RS idea. Barkely will get hurt more = he runs in a way that will lead to more injuries. he is Adrian Peterson. you need to plan on him being out from time to time.

I would also like to see them try Farmer at some type of OFF position =maybe RB. how many of the RBs have his size, strength and speed.
I recall both Robinson and Thomas being injured - not sure to what degree.

The way Franklin recruits, it seems his philosophy will be to play the best available. If that is another freshman back, I'm sure he will.

Reactions: m48tank
Thomas was hurt, not Robinson. Robinson was slated to redshirt, but that should be taken off the table after Lynch and Barkley got hurt!
Do you have an injury update on either Barkley or Lynch? Although Lynch appeared to be seriously injured, Barkley did not. Also, have you been lurking around practice to know how Thomas is progressing with his injury or whether or not Robinson is ready to play? I didn't think so. Franklin discussing Robinson and that he would redshirt before the season:

"He's got great vision, he's got really, really good balance. He's got extremely got an extremely strong lower body, does not go down easy whatsoever.

"But there's still some areas that he needs to improve. I expect him to have a really bright future here.''

For analogy purposes only:

Allen is Mike Archie. Thomas could be a Tony Hunt. Nick Scott is Austin Scott (minus being a head case).

FWIW - Barkley is in the KiJana/Curt Warner mold.
You hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: Ski
Look, the main reason that they need to take somebody's shirt, has nothing to do with any of that stuff. The MAIN reason, is that right now, they CANNOT run between the tackles with those two tiny scatbacks. SOMEBODY needs to have their shirt lifted so we can run the offense that these guys spent a year or two actually learning.

You have Robinson and you have Johnathan Thomas, and maybe one other option...somebody needs to be brought up so that we can run the football between the tackles. Nick and Mark are great options on third down and running wide, but nobody is going to even respect anything from tackle to tackle, knowing that both of them are down on first contact. NOT knocking either kid, just stating facts.

Look, the main reason that they need to take somebody's shirt, has nothing to do with any of that stuff. The MAIN reason, is that right now, they CANNOT run between the tackles with those two tiny scatbacks. SOMEBODY needs to have their shirt lifted so we can run the offense that these guys spent a year or two actually learning.

^true^

I know the coaching staff wanted to Redshirt him, but after Barkley, there is a sharp drop off with Mark Allen and Scott. Robinson is another burner who can spark the running game like Barkley. With Miles Sanders hopefully coming in next season, and Swift after that, Robinson's chances of seeing significant action would be limited anyway. I think we try Robinson now and see how he can fill in at RB as a better #2 option for Barkley. If Barkley's ankle injury is worse than anticipated that keeps him our for awhile, it's a no-brainer to give Robinson a shot NOW!
Actually, while Robinson is a heck of a running back, he is nothing like Barkley. Completely different. More of a between the tackles guys who is built low to the ground. He is not "another burner..." Also, how in heck can you say that he won't play much once Sanders and/or Swift arrive. Robinson was just as highly recruited as they were.

Actually, while Robinson is a heck of a running back, he is nothing like Barkley. Completely different. More of a between the tackles guys who is built low to the ground. He is not "another burner..." Also, how in heck can you say that he won't play much once Sanders and/or Swift arrive. Robinson was just as highly recruited as they were.
Then why was he being redshirted? He is a bigger guy to handle every down plays compared to Scott and Allen!

Watching Robinsons film he looks like a mix of Barkley and Allen. 5'9 215 and he has a nice spin move like Barkley. I'd have to say he looks pretty darn fast once he hits open field. I'm excited to see him

Mark Allen goes a buck 80 soaking wet. Nick isn't much bigger. We need to take the redshirt off somebody this week, unless this staff wants to go full myopia and limit the playbook to pitchouts for Army.

He is fast too. Bit more of a bowling ball than Barkley, but can spin and out run too. I'm not sure he'll ever be THIS good but he reminds me of Jones-Drew.

Does anyone know their majors? Perhaps they are studying something in Science or Engineering and really need to get acclimated Freshman year. Just speculating...

Time to look at Robinson and give Barkley an extra week to heal. More importantly, time to burn 1-2 redshirts on the offensive line! One or two of those guys have to be ready and better than what it is out there.

Time to look at Robinson and give Barkley an extra week to heal. More importantly, time to burn 1-2 redshirts on the offensive line! One or two of those guys have to be ready and better than what it is out there.
Jenkins, Gonzalez, Bates........which two do you want to put in there?

What is YOUR new starting OL?

If the coaches would just read these posts they would make better decisionso_O

Reactions: T J
Jonathan Thomas blew his knew out his senior year of HS and was a RS last year. I had read some very promising reviews of his progress earlier this year during spring practice. He was a monster in high school at St John's Prep in Boston and was slated as one of (if not the) top recruit in New England. He is listed at 220. I can't understand why he has not been mentioned or did not play against SDSU.

LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only "crazy one" for saying that.
I mentioned it in the Den and you would have thought I just spit on the Pope.

Reactions: Jerademan74
More importantly, time to burn 1-2 redshirts on the offensive line! One or two of those guys have to be ready and better than what it is out there.
Better than any of our current starters and also better than Laurent, Sorrell, Dowrey, Beh, & Reihner?

Jenkins, Gonzalez, Bates........which two do you want to put in there?

What is YOUR new starting OL?

Better than any of our current starters and also better than Laurent, Sorrell, Dowrey, Beh, & Reihner?
Bates is probably the only one that is ready. And yes I think he is better than all listed.

I was told the main reason he and any other young guys aren't playing is a result of the complication of Hand's system.

From my observations of Robinson in high school and Barkley here, I don't think Robinson has quite the same electricity that Barkley does - but not all that many backs do. Robinson and Barkley are similar in that they both have the ability to be every-down backs, each with the ability to run inside and outside the tackles. Robinson's lower half is enormous and he's a stocky, strong kid. But, that's not to say that he doesn't have some of the wiggle and quickness we've seen from Barkley so far. Robinson had a great deal of success at a very high level of football in Harrisburg, and there weren't too many times I can recall in his four years as a starter that he was caught when he broke into the open field. Robinson didn't quite have the jolt in high school that Shady McCoy had, but he's the best back I've seen come out of Harrisburg since McCoy. My impression is that if Robinson's shirt is burned, he'll have success. He's a bit tougher runner than Scott or Allen without sacrificing too much of their quickness.

Reactions: 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT