ADVERTISEMENT

Is it “shuffle” or “shovel” pass?

I’ve heard it pronounced both ways so many times, that I’m not really sure anymore myself 🤔
I think it’s supposed to be shove pass, because the QB is shoving the pass forward. Then knowing how genius some of these sports announcers are, one guy probably called it a shuffle pass, as in it’s a slight of hand play like shuffling a deck of cards. Then it got bastardized into shovel pass. And ever since, no one is sure what in TF to call it.

Reactions: ram2020 and RTRMR
Great play last night. I thought Dotson was on the LOS although the refs called him for being off the LOS. They almost got the downs wrong again. Hilarious

Reactions: psu00
Great play last night. I thought Dotson was on the LOS although the refs called him for being off the LOS. They almost got the downs wrong again. Hilarious
Could be wrong but I think Dotson was supposed to be on the LOS and they claimed he covered up the TE which was incorrect because the TE was not on the LOS.

Could be wrong but I think Dotson was supposed to be on the LOS and they claimed he covered up the TE which was incorrect because the TE was not on the LOS.
Correct...but the refs screwed this up bad. Shocker! They actually called illegal man downfield on a guy who caught a ball BEHIND the LOS! I realize they changed it to illegal touching, but they actually verbalized illegal man downfield.

Correct...but the refs screwed this up bad. Shocker! They actually called illegal man downfield on a guy who caught a ball BEHIND the LOS! I realize they changed it to illegal touching, but they actually verbalized illegal man downfield.
During the post game PC CJF said the call was correct, based on how Dotson was lined up. The refs may have inadvertantly gotten the call incorrect the first time, but they corrected after that.

I will say that every time I saw Penix throw the ball away, I kept screaming "Intentional Grounding!"....because I think that's a thing now.

During the post game PC CJF said the call was correct, based on how Dotson was lined up. The refs may have inadvertantly gotten the call incorrect the first time, but they corrected after that.

I will say that every time I saw Penix throw the ball away, I kept screaming "Intentional Grounding!"....because I think that's a thing now.
I still would like to know how a Power 5 conference official can "inadvertantly" call Illegal Man Downfield on a player who catches the ball behind the LOS. I did HS and DIII football for twenty years. Had I made that call I would have been toast. I also thought Illegal touching was a loss of down deal...

I still would like to know how a Power 5 conference official can "inadvertantly" call Illegal Man Downfield on a player who catches the ball behind the LOS. I did HS and DIII football for twenty years. Had I made that call I would have been toast. I also thought Illegal touching was a loss of down deal...
Yeah, it was not a good look. We need a "Big Ten Shorts" video to put it all together.

Reactions: psu00
The call was ineligible receiver because the receiver was covered on the los not that someone was downfield.

The call was ineligible receiver because the receiver was covered on the los not that someone was downfield.
Right. “Illegal touch” I believe is the proper name for the penalty as it is a playing catching a pass when not eligible. My question is who was at fault for lining up incorrectly? Was it the TE who was supposed to be behind the LOS or the split WR?

also regarding the penalty, we ended up not losing a down. Am I correct that college does not have loss of down for that penalty and only the NFL does?

I though he later called that the receiver was covered (illegal touching? )

If I’m remember, the TE lined up in the tackle spot next to the right guard but was in the backfield. There were three receivers to the right, two were on the line. So it was legal with 7 on the line. It was a trick formation and in this case it tricked the refs

That was not what was first called. It was changed to illegal touching which was the correct call. The ref first stated that the call was illegal man downfield...it was later changed. Again, they called illegal man downfield to a guy who caught a ball behind the LOS. I know I heard it...and I wasn't drinking! Maybe I should have been...

Nobody understands this rule. Makes no sense, seems arbitrary. Sometimes I think they need to simplify the game.

I though he later called that the receiver was covered (illegal touching? )

If I’m remember, the TE lined up in the tackle spot next to the right guard but was in the backfield. There were three receivers to the right, two were on the line. So it was legal with 7 on the line. It was a trick formation and in this case it tricked the refs
"He LATER called">>>>you are correct. But he did not originally call that..which is my point. His original call was illegal Man Downfield on a player who caught a ball behind the LOS...

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Nobody understands this rule. Makes no sense, seems arbitrary. Sometimes I think they need to simplify the game.
Easy rule...if the last guy on the LOS is an eligible receiver, the player next to him cannot be on the LOS, he must be off the line. And vice versa, if the TE lines up off the LOS and is considered off the line, the next player to his left or right must be on the LOS.

That was not what was first called. It was changed to illegal touching which was the correct call. The ref first stated that the call was illegal man downfield...it was later changed. Again, they called illegal man downfield to a guy who caught a ball behind the LOS. I know I heard it...and I wasn't drinking! Maybe I should have been...
You’re right, they did originally call that because I was wondering how you can have an illegal man downfield when you’re a couple yards from the end zone.

It’s not the least bit confusing. Eligible receivers either start in the backfield or one of the players on the end of the line. All players on the line not on the end are ineligible

"He LATER called">>>>you are correct. But he did not originally call that..which is my point. His original call was illegal Man Downfield on a player who caught a ball behind the LOS...
That’s true. He said the wrong thing and then corrected himself. So? We all often misspeak at times

You have to go back to the first use of the term. It was 1874 and Toothless Fats Smith put a new wrinkle in his coal miner 11 offense. Needless to say using the backside of a shovel to clear opponents during scrimmage play was soon outlawed by president McKinley, but the name of his pet play lived on.
Interesting….
Is that also where the “pick” play comes from???

That’s true. He said the wrong thing and then corrected himself. So? We all often misspeak at times

Maybe I'm nitpicking but to me misspeaking is calling the wrong number when announcing a penalty. Here, the ref called the penalty THEN changed it to a completely different penalty and said there was a loss of down THEN said there was no loss of down. To me, that was a ref who didn't know exactly what was going on. And that is disconcerting to say the least.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1

Franklin looked satisfied with the ref’s explanation.

It's shovel , but heard it called shuffle around here. There was a bar room game called shuffle board around here popular in the 50's and 60's. maybe the reference.

I have the same question about “hook & ladder” vs “hook & lateral”
ok this one is either or, ladder or lateral because it literally contains a lateral

but shovel is shovel and always should be shovel

now can we get announcers and fans to recognize when a play is or is not a reverse (double, triple reverse etc)?

If it were “shuffle pass”, the quarterback would have to do something like this as he threw the ball. I’ve never seen it done.

shuffling-shuffle.gif

From what I saw on TV, Dotson looked to be on the LOS and Strange was off the line. It may have been the camera angle but I was puzzled at the call. Whatever... Dotson scored anyway.

Maybe I'm nitpicking but to me misspeaking is calling the wrong number when announcing a penalty. Here, the ref called the penalty THEN changed it to a completely different penalty and said there was a loss of down THEN said there was no loss of down. To me, that was a ref who didn't know exactly what was going on. And that is disconcerting to say the least.
I have noticed how the refs never "misspeak" when OSU or Michigan is playing!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT