ADVERTISEMENT

Is Franklin elite yet????

Locksley beat Franklin once during covid. PSU will work UMD who got smoked by Minnesota today.

Schiano can't out coach a six pack holder.

They will beat Michigan at home (UM isn't that great) and lose to MSU on the road.
Maryland beat Illinois..just sayin

No way PSU beats UM, MSU, or OSU

Reactions: PSUTENN1
JoePa had two national championships. He also had some really crappy teams. And it took him 20 years to get those two championships.
I’d be happy with Franklin having a single undefeated team not awarded a mnc, let alone three.

Lets see if he can manage even a 1-loss season. They’ve failed twice when they’ve had an excellent opportunity. Obviously this year won’t be one.

JoePa had two national championships. He also had some really crappy teams. And it took him 20 years to get those two championships.
I’ve been critical of Paterno in the past but in fairness he had 4 undefeated teams that didn’t get a title 3 before the 80’s.

Here’s the thing that’s infuriating about Franklin. He’s always talking about national championships and he uses his “interest from other schools” to leverage more and more from the university all to lay eggs when it comes to actual coaching. He looked genuinely disinterested today throughout the game. Same look he had all last season. He’s had 3 very good years here out of 8. Two 7-6 seasons, one losing season, and what looks like a season on a downward spiral this year.

Here’s the thing that’s infuriating about Franklin. He’s always talking about national championships and he uses his “interest from other schools” to leverage more and more from the university all to lay eggs when it comes to actual coaching. He looked genuinely disinterested today throughout the game. Same look he had all last season. He’s had 3 very good years here out of 8. Two 7-6 seasons, one losing season, and what looks like a season on a downward spiral this year.
By all accounts, James Franklin is a fraud.

By all accounts, James Franklin is a fraud.
Yeah, if double digit win seasons, a conference championship, and NY6 bowls don’t count, then you’re right on the money. What a fraud. We better give back that Big championship, it was a fake.

I can’t even tell if this is serious. What in the past two weeks makes you think that is even remotely possible. They couldn’t gain 3 yards on the ground to get a two point conversion to defeat the vaunted Illinois D.
Please apologize to Don Brown...he is not the Illinois Defensive Coordinator and therefore the Illinois defense cannot be "vaunted".

Yeah, if double digit win seasons, a conference championship, and NY6 bowls don’t count, then you’re right on the money. What a fraud. We better give back that Big championship, it was a fake.
Enough already with your sanctimonious bullshit. 2016 was a fluke, James can only beat cupcakes consistently, and the program has peaked under him. He shouldn't get another raise from this University until he earns his bloated paycheck.

Take his nuts out of your mouth.

We were an elite program for a few periods since 1990: '91-94, '97-'99, '16-'19.

The program has not been consistently elite since the 1970s.
Two National Championships and playing for a third between 81 and 86 begs to differ.

James Franklin never was elite.

James Franklin is not elite today.

James Franklin never will be elite.

All of the above have been true since the day we hired him.

Reactions: BW Lion
I'm sure he'd like to take back that 'elite' comment because ever since he said it, they have failed to live up to even 70% of elite.
James Franklin never was elite.

James Franklin is not elite today.

James Franklin never will be elite.

All of the above have been true since the day we hired him.
Just to be clear, because it comes up over and over and is misrepresented... CJF's "elite" comment was an expression of a GOAL. It is fair to say that the goal hasn't yet been achieved, but it is a legitimate goal nevertheless and him saying it out loud has had ZERO negative effects on the program.

What would we think of a coach who didn't aspire for PSU to become an elite program? If he set the standard at being a "winning program" then he would now be a hero and an over-achiever?

With all due respect, it may be reasonable to hold someone to their own self-defined standards, but presenting the "elite" statement of a GOAL as some sort of root cause for everything that doesn't turn out favorably for PSU is very lazy at best.

Last edited:
For a few Saturdays per year, yeah it would be entertaining. I don't know that it is worth the financial investment or anything else. If I am being completely honest, I would say that the sport is getting kind of dumb and a lot less interesting than it was 25 years ago.
Alabama s football success has been a gold mine mine for the university both financially and academically

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Shadow99
Just to be clear, because it comes up over and over and is misrepresented... CJF's "elite" comment was an expression of a GOAL. It is fair to say…
To be fair, his comment they were already great. They have never had a great season under his leadership. I wish I were wrong.

But the truly elite programs are elite for long periods of time, not a couple years here and there. I came to the conclusion back in the late 90’s that PSU would not win another NC in my lifetime. It’s just something I’ve accepted. I don’t see the administration (or the fan base for that matter) doing what has to be done to be a NC level program. There’s a reason Bama is where they’re at right now and it’s not just Nick Saban. Same thing with OSU….they went all in as a university when they hired Urban and it wasn’t just Urban…which is why they’re still having success with Day. PSU could hire Day tomorrow and he wouldn’t have the success he’s having at OSU unless other changes came about.
If Day had our top 10-15 classes, he would have significant success. Would have had PSU in playoffs multiple times in 8 years

Last edited:
Just to be clear, because it comes up over and over and is misrepresented... CJF's "elite" comment was an expression of a GOAL. It is fair to say that the goal hasn't yet been achieved, but it is a legitimate goal nevertheless and him saying it out loud has had ZERO negative effects on the program.

What would we think of a coach who didn't aspire for PSU to become an elite program? If he set the standard at being a "winning program" then he would now be a hero and an over-achiever?

With all due respect, it may be reasonable to hold someone to their own self-defined standards, but presenting the "elite" statement of a GOAL as some sort of root cause for everything that doesn't turn out favorably for PSU is very lazy at best.
Come on man. It was an absurd thing
to say at the time, and sounds even more absurd looking back. It also made Penn State look ridiculous. Penn State hadn't been "great", or even "pretty good" for enough years prior for Franklin to make such a statement.

The stat that was shown on the broadcast was very interesting; Psu under franklin was 20-9 (now 20-10) playing when ranked in the top 10

Enough already with your sanctimonious bullshit. 2016 was a fluke, James can only beat cupcakes consistently, and the program has peaked under him. He shouldn't get another raise from this University until he earns his bloated paycheck.

Bite me.

You’re expecting posters to listen to what was actually said and not hear what they want to hear. He says we’re not elite yet, but he wants to be then posters rip him for not being elite. Unbelievable.

I have it on good authority that Franklin was seen after the game yesterday putting his pants on one leg at a time. Very disappointing.

If Day had our top 10-15 classes, he would have significant success. Would have had PSU in playoffs multiple times in 8 years
No he wouldn’t. And who knows if he would have had our classes if he were the coach. It’s easier to recruit at OSU coming in on the heels of Urban Meyer than it is at PSU coming in on the heels of Jerry Sandusky.

You’re expecting posters to listen to what was actually said and not hear what they want to hear. He says we’re not elite yet, but he wants to be then posters rip him for not being elite. Unbelievable.
But he did say PSU was great. Name one great year under his leadership.

No he wouldn’t. And who knows if he would have had our classes if he were the coach. It’s easier to recruit at OSU coming in on the heels of Urban Meyer than it is at PSU coming in on the heels of Jerry Sandusky.
Day is a better coach…I think most objectively would agree. And that includes recruiting…he has improved on Urban. I will tell you this, I would be willing to try Day if he became available.

Day is a better coach…I think most objectively would agree. And that includes recruiting…he has improved on Urban. I will tell you this, I would be willing to try Day if he became available.
Hard to say if Day is a better coach….let’s send him to Vandy and see what he can do, then we’ll be able to judge him. He, like Riley, stepped into a really great situation. None of them stepped into the sh!tshow Franklin stepped into.

Hard to say if Day is a better coach….let’s send him to Vandy and see what he can do, then we’ll be able to judge him. He, like Riley, stepped into a really great situation. None of them stepped into the sh!tshow Franklin stepped into.

And that is why Franklin was the right choice at the time. We needed a man who could bring PSU back from the abyss, a man who could recruit and build relationships.

Franklin made recruiting an emphasis for the assistants, perhaps out of necessity. Has that come with a cost? Is part of the cost getting offensive linemen? Is part of the cost player development? Does emotion detract from smart football on the field?

There are no Paul Poslusznys out there. There are certainly no Mike Reids. Franklin teams play well when emotionally high, and vice versa. They often come out flat in a noon kickoff. Why? The effect of game time should be even for both teams.

Even Clifford seems more emotional compared to just about any QB before Franklin took over. The CEO's emphasis ultimately filters down through the organization.

The record after a first loss lends credence, that emotion is too much of a factor with this team. I doubt if this is typical of the norm. It's almost like 1999 is ingrained in our culture.

Franklin was the right man at the time. I'm not sure that holds true going forward. His salary, like that of his boss, is tough to justify based on performance measures. I remember how that sort of thing affected me as a subordinate in a workplace.

Results show Day is a better Coach. I suspect he’s do well at Vandy but he is so, so good we will never find out. If he chooses to leave, it will be for the NFL.

Thank you.

While I understand what you are saying and I always support him, losing to this team after a bye week is inexcusable. Illinois was awful today. Nothing you can say about upsets or anything else excuses this performance. If you get upset by a team that executes is one thing. This was something completely different.
Uhhh....I would call 350+ yards rushing executing.

Results show Day is a better Coach. I suspect he’s do well at Vandy but he is so, so good we will never find out. If he chooses to leave, it will be for the NFL.
Results in a vacuum maybe, but not as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT