ADVERTISEMENT

Is Franklin elite yet????

The coaches the talk about “elite” are not. The coaches that don’t about “elite” are.

I have it on good authority that Franklin was seen after the game yesterday putting his pants on one leg at a time. Very disappointing.
Not as disappointing as losing at home to a 24 point underdog, worst team in the conference.

They scored 10 points. I don’t call that executing.
They kicked PSU's teeth in all GD day long.....on both sides of the ball. This wasn't tOSU....it was Illinois....and yes the HC that has his name linked every GD year to every GD opening for "leverage" should be called out for that historically bad performance. It was trash. Effort, execution, adjustments.....all of it and maybe he should be reflecting on what his little MIND games do to the players, staff, and future recruits. There is absolutely no defending him when he plays these "leverage" games and lays eggs like that at home....none. To me it shows a HC who isn't truly invested on where he is at....and it showed.

Vacuum? Day is better by any measurement available and the gap is widening as he gets more experience.
Did Day ever build a program from nothing? Did Day ever take over a program while on the worst sanctions ever? Day was born on third base and you’re giving him credit for hitting a home run. So yes, in a vacuum.

I feel bad for your family if you cannot understand 11-3 is not great.
I feel bad for your family if you can’t see that 11-3 in today’s football world at Penn State is great. “Dad, look I got an A.” “You suck son, you should have gotten an A+. I deserve better.”

They kicked PSU's teeth in all GD day long.....on both sides of the ball. This wasn't tOSU....it was Illinois....and yes the HC that has his name linked every GD year to every GD opening for "leverage" should be called out for that historically bad performance. It was trash. Effort, execution, adjustments.....all of it and maybe he should be reflecting on what his little MIND games do to the players, staff, and future recruits. There is absolutely no defending him when he plays these "leverage" games and lays eggs like that at home....none. To me it shows a HC who isn't truly invested on where he is at....and it showed.
I agree with you. My comment was they didn’t lose to a team that played great football. They scored 10 points no matter how many yards they gained. Horrible game plan and a lifeless PSU team on Saturday.

Reactions: LaJollaLion
Did Day ever build a program from nothing? Did Day ever take over a program while on the worst sanctions ever? Day was born on third base and you’re giving him credit for hitting a home run. So yes, in a vacuum.
Day has never had the chance…not should he seek it out…he is as good as any out there…

Reactions: dailybuck777
Day has never had the chance…not should he seek it out…he is as good as any out there…
Based on what? It takes more to be “as good as any out there” than to take over a top notch program that has more talent than any team except one and win. He lost to Oregon who has less talent, so based on the football wizards on this board he’s not as good as anyone.

Based on what? It takes more to be “as good as any out there” than to take over a top notch program that has more talent than any team except one and win. He lost to Oregon who has less talent, so based on the football wizards on this board he’s not as good as anyone.
He has like what 3 lifetime losses? We will outdid that in our first 5 games last year!

You will see a demonstration of Day’s coaching prowess this weekend. Pay close attention and take notes.

He has like what 3 lifetime losses? We will outdid that in our first 5 games last year!

You will see a demonstration of Day’s coaching prowess this weekend. Pay close attention and take notes.
Really? That’s the best you can come up with? A team loaded with talent is going to beat a team with an injured QB and their best DLineman gone, and that’s coaching prowess? I’ll judge Day’s coaching prowess when I see how he does against teams with equal talent (that one team). Remember, that’s how you judge a coach. So Franklin has to beat every team he has more talent than, but Day doesn’t…got it.

Really? That’s the best you can come up with? A team loaded with talent is going to beat a team with an injured QB and their best DLineman gone, and that’s coaching prowess? I’ll judge Day’s coaching prowess when I see how he does against teams with equal talent (that one team). Remember, that’s how you judge a coach. So Franklin has to beat every team he has more talent than, but Day doesn’t…got it.
Best I got? How do you think O$U assembled the talent? Day recruited it! Would trade places with the fighting acorns in a New York minute. He wins and wins and wins and wins big. And he is only in his third year as a head coach…he is getting better at coaching and better at recruiting. Think about that. If he loses his QB, he has 3 other to plug in. How? He recruited it. He loses a lineman? He plugs in any number of high school all Americans. How? He recruited them.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Best I got? How do you think O$U assembled the talent? Day recruited it! Would trade places with the fighting acorns in a New York minute. He wins and wins and wins and wins big. And he is only in his third year as a head coach…he is getting better at coaching and better at recruiting. Think about that. If he loses his QB, he has 3 other to plug in. How? He recruited it. He loses a lineman? He plugs in any number of high school all Americans. How? He recruited them.
It wasn’t just him….OSU is all in on being a football powerhouse, PSU isn’t. Day wouldn’t have this success just about anywhere else….so it makes him in the right place, not a coaching god.

Reactions: Shadow99
It wasn’t just him….OSU is all in on being a football powerhouse, PSU isn’t. Day wouldn’t have this success just about anywhere else….so it makes him in the right place, not a coaching god.
He would be hired anywhere but (maybe) Bama (Saban is old). He is the best way f the best…kudos to O$U for identifying him and placing him at the helm. Master recruiter…brilliant offensive strategist…terrific game day coach.

PSU not interested in being a football powerhouse? Well, we were for many decades? When did we quit the game? Perhaps we should notify 110,000 fans who show up for games and the throng that watches at home and provides TV rating records. Here I though we wanted to compete…not be O$U’s lackey.

But I guess first we’d need to figure out how to hang with the mighty Fighting Illini!

He would be hired anywhere but (maybe) Bama (Saban is old). He is the best way f the best…kudos to O$U for identifying him and placing him at the helm. Master recruiter…brilliant offensive strategist…terrific game day coach.

PSU not interested in being a football powerhouse? Well, we were for many decades? When did we quit the game? Perhaps we should notify 110,000 fans who show up for games and the throng that watches at home and provides TV rating records. Here I though we wanted to compete…not be O$U’s lackey.

But I guess first we’d need to figure out how to hang with the mighty Fighting Illini!
We haven’t been a football powerhouse in 30 years even with the fans showing up, so it’s more than just having fans. Nebraska was a powerhouse and has great fan support and they keep trying different coaches. Michigan has a bunch of fans too and they’re more OSU’s lackey than we are. And they pay their coach more, so it’s not just about the coach and fan support. You’ll figure that out if Franklin leaves and the next guy comes in and does the same or worse. And then the next guy, and the next….

We haven’t been a football powerhouse in 30 years even with the fans showing up, so it’s more than just having fans. Nebraska was a powerhouse and has great fan support and they keep trying different coaches. Michigan has a bunch of fans too and they’re more OSU’s lackey than we are. And they pay their coach more, so it’s not just about the coach and fan support. You’ll figure that out if Franklin leaves and the next guy comes in and does the same or worse. And then the next guy, and the next….
But we are close to a return…we were right there just 4-5 years ago…the right hire might just get us there…let’s roll the dice. I’m willing to bet that even a swing and a miss will not lose to that level of Illinois team. Had to be one of the worst losses in PSU history (at least since Indiana 2020).

But we are close to a return…we were right there just 4-5 years ago…the right hire might just get us there…let’s roll the dice. I’m willing to bet that even a swing and a miss will not lose to that level of Illinois team. Had to be one of the worst losses in PSU history (at least since Indiana 2020).
What makes you think all of our best players don't hit the transfer portal if that happens? Like 30 of them?

I honestly don’t think they can right the ship. There is absolutely 0 running game and it’s a combo of slow ass running backs, TE’s that just flat out can’t block, and a weak OL. I’m beginning to put more blame on the RB’s. They are just slow and can’t even hit a hole with ANY explosiveness. When Lovett did have a few nice plays today he was removed.
Hard to blame RB that get hit in the backfield. The scheme does not work, slow handoff and reads. Need to adjust to quick handoffs with drive blocking. It might not be good but it cannot be worse.

Dude, it was one fvcking loss, let it go. You don’t throw out a whole system and a top recruiting class and start over because of one bad loss. So it’s okay to be 7-5 every year as long as we don’t get beat by Illinois? I’m done with this endless circle…I get it, you want him gone. If he leaves, you’ll have your wish and I doubt you’ll be man enough to admit after the first couple of years it was a mistake. But I’m quite sure you will be leading the charge to can that guy too. And your Indiana comment was ridiculously stupid.

Reactions: royboy
Dude, it was one fvcking loss, let it go. You don’t throw out a whole system and a top recruiting class and start over because of one bad loss. So it’s okay to be 7-5 every year as long as we don’t get beat by Illinois? I’m done with this endless circle…I get it, you want him gone. If he leaves, you’ll have your wish and I doubt you’ll be man enough to admit after the first couple of years it was a mistake. But I’m quite sure you will be leading the charge to can that guy too. And your Indiana comment was ridiculously stupid.
If it were only one loss..it is a maddening pattern of underachievement …And I will be plenty “man enough” to admit I am wrong if the situation merits…I have have come around to admitting I was wrong about Franklin. And so have many, many others.

Good dude…done some very nice things for the University. But not the coach needed to take us to the next level…I think tbe body of work is now conclusive.

If it were only one loss..it is a maddening pattern of underachievement …And I will be plenty “man enough” to admit I am wrong if the situation merits…I have have come around to admitting I was wrong about Franklin. And so have many, many others.

Good dude…done some very nice things for the University. But not the coach needed to take us to the next level…I think tbe body of work is now conclusive.
No coach will take us to the next level….it isn’t the coach, but I suspect you will find that out soon enough.

No coach will take us to the next level….it isn’t the coach, but I suspect you will find that out soon enough.

Michigan State got to a CFP.

Hell, if Hamilton pulls in that deep pass late against Pitt, Franklin probably makes the 2016 CFP. We moan about how the B1G screwed us by promoting OSU in 2016, but the fact is, if we beat Pitt in 2016, we're in the CFP.

If we don't crap down our legs in the 2017 and 2018 OSU games, we are almost certainly at that "next level".

So yes, it absolutely can be done.

Do I think Franklin can get us back to the cusp he had us on in 2016-17? Honestly, I doubt it. But that hardly means nobody else can.

(I'm not wishing for Franklin's departure, btw. But I think it's crazy to suggest he's as good as we'll ever be)

They often come out flat in a noon kickoff. Why? The effect of game time should be even for both teams.
Apologies for focusing on a peripheral issue to the overall discussion and to truncate the rest of your response, but speaking personally, I ALWAYS played / play better at ANY sport later in the day versus earlier in the day, regardless of identical preparation. Not disputing your overall point of course, but I do know "morning people" 'who are the complete opposite and preferred earlier games. That said, the point that early starts are the same for both teams is undisputed.

I’m willing to bet that even a swing and a miss will not lose to that level of Illinois team.
It is a very bad loss...but the bolded statement above is not true...the reason that PSU lost to the "level of an Illinois team" is because despite the disparity in talent at other positions, there is little, if any, disparity of talent on the lines. Line play can negate talent disparities elsewhere; that is why OSU rarely suffers an upset...because even if their position players falter, their lines can still push the other team around for an ugly win. PSU has not had such a line for a long time, so unless Saban comes to Happy Valley and brings several 5* linemen, upsets would still be possible (not probable, but possible), regardless of coaching, scheme or talent at other positions.

I absolutely HATE this loss...but as much as CJF is considered to be a good recruiter, the rankings nevertheless do not show the PSU recruiting classes in the top 10 year after year...yet almost every year (except for last year), the actual team has been ranked in the top 10 at some point of the season, and often at the end of the season...there are certainly things to be genuinely disappointed about...but being ranked higher than your average recruiting class ranking doesn't sound like textbook "underachieving" to me.

Last edited:
It is a very bad loss...but the bolded statement above is not true...the reason that PSU lost to the "level of an Illinois team" is because despite the disparity in talent at other positions, there is little, if any, disparity of talent on the lines. Line play can negate talent disparities elsewhere; that is why OSU rarely suffers an upset...because even if their position players falter, their lines can still push the other team around for an ugly win. PSU has not had such a line for a long time, so unless Saban comes to Happy Valley and brings several 5* linemen, upsets would still be possible (not probable, but possible), regardless of scheme or talent at other positions.

I absolutely HATE this loss...but as much as CJF is considered to be a good recruiter, the rankings nevertheless do not show the PSU recruiting classes in the top 10 year after year...yet almost every year (except for last year), the actual team has been ranked in the top 10 at some point of the season, and often at the end of the season...there are certainly things to be genuinely disappointed about...but being ranked higher than your average recruiting class ranking doesn't sound like textbook "underachieving" to me.
He wants Ferentz. Beat who you're supposed to beat, lose to who you're supposed to lose to. Run the ball with a FB, block with big TE, more counters, throw to the TE. Eat clock, strong defense. 😴

• Wow
He wants Ferentz. Beat who you're supposed to beat, lose to who you're supposed to lose to. Run the ball with a FB, block with big TE, more counters, throw to the TE. Eat clock, strong defense. 😴
Yes Ferentz beats Illinois but he is a 7 or 8 wins guy in the East with zero chance of catching OSU.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
It is a very bad loss...but the bolded statement above is not true...the reason that PSU lost to the "level of an Illinois team" is because despite the disparity in talent at other positions, there is little, if any, disparity of talent on the lines. Line play can negate talent disparities elsewhere; that is why OSU rarely suffers an upset...because even if their position players falter, their lines can still push the other team around for an ugly win. PSU has not had such a line for a long time, so unless Saban comes to Happy Valley and brings several 5* linemen, upsets would still be possible (not probable, but possible), regardless of coaching, scheme or talent at other positions.

Who is responsible for recruiting lineman? Should we be able to find a combination that can run block Villanova?

Michigan State got to a CFP.

Hell, if Hamilton pulls in that deep pass late against Pitt, Franklin probably makes the 2016 CFP. We moan about how the B1G screwed us by promoting OSU in 2016, but the fact is, if we beat Pitt in 2016, we're in the CFP.

If we don't crap down our legs in the 2017 and 2018 OSU games, we are almost certainly at that "next level".

So yes, it absolutely can be done.

Do I think Franklin can get us back to the cusp he had us on in 2016-17? Honestly, I doubt it. But that hardly means nobody else can.

(I'm not wishing for Franklin's departure, btw. But I think it's crazy to suggest he's as good as we'll ever be)
We may see soon enough.

The guy making $5 million less ran his record to 8-1 almost 10 years ago to the day. Just saying!

Yes Ferentz beats Illinois but he is a 7 or 8 wins guy in the East with zero chance of catching OSU.
James Franklin is also an 8 win guy with zero chance of beating Ohio state...but he has a soft weak offensive line, unlike Ferentz

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT