ADVERTISEMENT

Is anyone else bothered that the Brazilian fans are cheering for the other team who plays the USA?

Eff Brazil. Dont recall this occurring in prior Olympics. Even between USA an USSR / Russia. Complete lack of class from Brazil throughout these games. Have to add that lochte and company were total a-holes and disrespected the host country Brazil and the USA.

We have football season to look forward to after this. I wonder what they have...
Guardo-do-embau-beach-Florianopolis-Brazil-500x375.jpg

True, we tend to do very well in the summer games, which is why I'm always so disappointed that we can't field a competative soccer team on a relatively consistent basis. It's been our most popular youth sport for some time so with all of the $$ we dump into athletics in this country, you'd think eventually we'd be able to piece together enough world-class talent to be a major player on the big stage.
Money is way to big in other sports for the best athletes in the US to be interested in playing soccer.

Well, we are both American countries (North and South). The only time I wasn't rooting for Brazilian teams or individuals was when they were up against USA athletes. It seems that all other countries are just jealous that we are so good!
"We are both American countries" ? When I was in the military eons ago, we were told not to refer to ourselves as Americans because it might offend South Americans.. What a crock .I had the occasion to visit many countries and I have never heard anyone from south America refer to themselves as Americans.

I have a lot of good friends in Brazil, some attending the games. They're pissed about Lochte and that's where a lot of this is coming from now. They know their country has many issues but they're trying very hard to pull off the games without incident and did not appreciate the additional negative attention caused by lies.

I'll say...

CqRW6PaXEAAXy8I.jpg:large

I have been watching the Men's VB semi-final today and hear the fans cheering for Italy against the USA. I wouldn't mind so much, but I have noticed a general bias against the USA in all events I have watched, even the girl's gymnastics. Perhaps they are just envious, but could it be that they just have a general dislike for the USA? They seem to spend vacation time in the US, but why are they not showing support for our teams there?
It's the Lochte effect.

Money is way to big in other sports for the best athletes in the US to be interested in playing soccer.
I get what you're saying, but explain why we're so good at track/field or volleyball or even swimming. There isn't a big paycheck for athletes in those sports and yet we compete at a very high level in them. With the popularity of youth soccer in the USA, it just seems that enough talent would filter through to the world level to keep us at least competitive (again, not dominant).

I have a lot of good friends in Brazil, some attending the games. They're pissed about Lochte and that's where a lot of this is coming from now. They know their country has many issues but they're trying very hard to pull off the games without incident and did not appreciate the additional negative attention caused by lies.

This was happening prior to Lochte's lunacy.. I posted about it the other day. Now, if they want to dump it all on Solo's stupidity, ok... although that's a childish approach. But they have supported everyone not named the USA from day 1... which would be fine if it were simply about cheering on the other guy.. it's the jeers and boos (that have unnerved a few competitors) directed aginst us in all events that is annoying.

But it has nothing to do with Lochte... he just provides additional fodder.

And just imagine if his roomie Phelps had not moved out (to be with his family) and had been roped into a night out with the boyyyyzzzzzz. omg.

This was happening prior to Lochte's lunacy.. I posted about it the other day. Now, if they want to dump it all on Solo's stupidity, ok... although that's a childish approach. But they have supported everyone not named the USA from day 1... which would be fine if it were simply about cheering on the other guy.. it's the jeers and boos (that have unnerved a few competitors) directed aginst us in all events that is annoying.

But it has nothing to do with Lochte... he just provides additional fodder.

And just imagine if his roomie Phelps had not moved out (to be with his family) and had been roped into a night out with the boyyyyzzzzzz. omg.

And I'm reading all these articles about how Lochte and the other swimmers disrespected our hosts. Oh yeah, the hosts who've been booing us and cheering for every country that plays us regardless which country it is. Yep, I sure feel bad for disrespecting that host. So much crap has happened at this Olympics (like everyone knew would happen) and the Brazil officials are trying to divert the focus to some drunken swimmers who did a stupid thing. Just a tad overblown in my opinion.

I get what you're saying, but explain why we're so good at track/field or volleyball or even swimming. There isn't a big paycheck for athletes in those sports and yet we compete at a very high level in them. With the popularity of youth soccer in the USA, it just seems that enough talent would filter through to the world level to keep us at least competitive (again, not dominant).

Americans in those sports make big money in Europe and Asia with appearance fees.

And I'm reading all these articles about how Lochte and the other swimmers disrespected our hosts. Oh yeah, the hosts who've been booing us and cheering for every country that plays us regardless which country it is. Yep, I sure feel bad for disrespecting that host. So much crap has happened at this Olympics (like everyone knew would happen) and the Brazil officials are trying to divert the focus to some drunken swimmers who did a stupid thing. Just a tad overblown in my opinion.

I think we're talking about a couple different things. I've been bothered by a number of things that have gone down in Brazil prior to and durting the Olympics. But this isn't about that.. it's about 4 guys -- one of them 32 years old -- who not only behave boorishly in another country, they concoct a BS story and lie to the police, to the media, to the world, and then double down and triple down on that lie until they get caught... and only then do they feel compelled to do a mea culpa.

THAT bothers me a lot (it speaks to a striking absence of character and it only serves to promote the "arrogant American" label we wear in other countries), and I hope they get hammered when the US Committee reviews this mess and hands down whatever punishment it deems appropriate.

Reactions: RobBliz
I root for whomever plays the Yankees, Alabama, and Notte Dame. It's not because I like that teams colors better, it's be cause when you are dominant, everyone else is an underdog.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think we're talking about a couple different things. I've been bothered by a number of things that have gone down in Brazil prior to and durting the Olympics. But this isn't about that.. it's about 4 guys -- one of them 32 years old -- who not only behave boorishly in another country, they concoct a BS story and lie to the police, to the media, to the world, and then double down and triple down on that lie until they get caught... and only then do they feel compelled to do a mea culpa.

THAT bothers me a lot (it speaks to a striking absence of character and it only serves to promote the "arrogant American" label we wear in other countries), and I hope they get hammered when the US Committee reviews this mess and hands down whatever punishment it deems appropriate.

I agree it was stupid, so the media should concentrate on them being stupid not on our poor, lovable hosts that were disrespected. Hosts that aren't gracious don't get respect. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Most of all, they hate us for our arrogance. Pretty much justified.

Afraid not. They hate us because we are the richest and most successful country in the history of the world. Winning is a habit for Americans. They live in an economically depressed crap hole where corruption and violence are normal.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
unwittingly acting as lightening rods for all of this. I

I digress, but what is with everyone spelling LIGHTNING wrong these days? Lightening is the uterus lowering during birth. Lightning is the bolt. Public service announcement done. Your friends won't think you as much of a dolt if you follow these steps.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
This anti-USA sentiment was expressed well before the Lochte incident. That's just a poor excuse. Sure, we have a few bad actors out of hundreds that are there, but if Brazil took proper actions to clean their act up before the Olympics, they wouldn't have to be so defensive. That green water in the pools was disgraceful, and to say that there was no health risk to divers or swimmers was total BS. They used hydrogen peroxide to try to clean up the water that actually deactivated the chlorine. That means they had ZERO disinfectant in the pools which is why they, after-the-fact, had to drain them and start all over. Talk about lies, that tops a few US swimmers who got drunk and pissed all over a bathroom floor after celebrating their team successes. Any swimmers or divers who may have "inadvertantly" pissed or sh-t in the pool during the "green period" would have created a very unsanitary pool water situation subjecting all global swimmers to those germs.

I have worked and lived around the world and can say that the best case I ever saw was a quiet disdain for the USA and Americans. The view is that most of us are arrogant and internally thinking (aka non-global).

Even after all this anti-USA sentiment, they will knock each other down to come to the USA as tourists (leaving with new suitcases full of US purchased goods they smuggle back to their countries) or working visas.

Can anyone shed light on this... according to Gunnar, who seems to be portraying himself as the reasonable man in this mess, no guns were drawn to coerce the lads out of the vehicle -- although they were on display in their belt(s). However, he goes on to say that at some point the guards did brandish their weapons and pretty much shook them down for the cost of the damage they caused. He further goes on to say that while videos have been shown, that there must be other angles not yet released that show the guns drawn.

OK. first, has anyone seen a video where the guns were out and pointed at the kids? I haven't, but maybe there is one out there. What I have seen is what is purportedly start to finish video footage of the event and I have yet to see a weapon drawn. If the boys felt the mere presence of a weapon in view was reason to pony up, then they should say that. But to keep up the gun drawn angle without video or witness support just adds fuel to a fire that had a chance to simmer.

So... anyone have a link that corroborates the gun drawn comments? Thanx.

I have been watching the Men's VB semi-final today and hear the fans cheering for Italy against the USA. I wouldn't mind so much, but I have noticed a general bias against the USA in all events I have watched, even the girl's gymnastics. Perhaps they are just envious, but could it be that they just have a general dislike for the USA? They seem to spend vacation time in the US, but why are they not showing support for our teams there?

Honestly (and I know I will get killed) I think it has more to do with the lack of respect countries have for us after 8 years of flaccid leadership by Obama.

Not bothered at all. In many events we are one of the top teams. Most people root for the underdogs.

Americans in those sports make big money in Europe and Asia with appearance fees.
True they make big coin for appearance fees after they make names for themselves in the olympics...plus a lot of world talent comes to the States to compete at the collegiate level in sports like track and swimming. Why not soccer?

Honestly (and I know I will get killed) I think it has more to do with the lack of respect countries have for us after 8 years of flaccid leadership by Obama.

So true, take down those DAMN "stop signs" Obama !!! And the "red lights". You know the "red" ones !!!!

We haven't had "leadership" for a hell of a lot longer than just the last eight years.

I hate to burst your bubble but Obama is popular in most parts of the world.

Reactions: simons96
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT