ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's win sort of reminds me of success without honor

- an unseasoned dish. Anybody overly happy with that victory needs to re-examine their priorities in life. We all know who the better team was.
I don't fault anyone for being happy their team won. At the same time, the Iowa fans at the stadium and those posting on this message board have shown themselves to be something quite less than collegial.

Iowa would lose to OSU by at least 3 tds. This isnt even close to one of Ferentz' top 3 teams let alone #2 in the nation.

Whoever wins the East will absolutely destroy them in a neutral site title game.

Reactions: PSU621
Favored by 3 at home.
Won by 3.
Stormed the field.
These guys are as bad as Pitt. Maybe they should make some commemorative keychains.
Oh, they probably already have. They'll be talking about what a great win this was for as long as there's Iowa football.

I don't fault anyone for being happy their team won. At the same time, the Iowa fans at the stadium and those posting on this message board have shown themselves to be something quite less than collegial.
As I said, it's OK to be happy that you won, but you should also realize that you caught a big break and be a bit more humble about it.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Why all the sour grapes? Injuries are part of the game. CJF and Co. did not have the #2 QB adequately prepared and paid the price for their lack of vision. They won, we lost, get over it.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Why all the sour grapes? Injuries are part of the game. CJF and Co. did not have the #2 QB adequately prepared and paid the price for their lack of vision. They won, we lost, get over it.
No sour grapes, but they need to at least have an appreciation for how and why their accomplishment happened. They are talking shit like an NBA team that beat the 95 Chicago Bulls, sans Michael Jordan. I'm not saying SC is in the same universe as MJ as far as a talent, but one can easily argue that the QB position on our team is a very crucial position, and although injuries are indeed part of the game, when we lose our "MJ" early in the 2nd quarter and it takes you the remainder of the game to claw your way back for a win, just show a little appreciation for the circumstances.

• Haha
Reactions: icu81222
“Absolutely destroyed!”

“Lose by 3 TDs!”

You fans are so dramatic and transparently insecure. Love the hyperbole, too.

Being up 17-10 in the 2nd qtr does not a dominating performance make.

Yes Iowa is mediocre it's very obvious to everyone except Iowa fans. This loss shouldn't hurt PSU much if they win the rest. Can't believe Iowa fans are still flooding this board. Your team won good for you...now go away.

Yes Iowa is mediocre it's very obvious to everyone except Iowa fans. This loss shouldn't hurt PSU much if they win the rest. Can't believe Iowa fans are still flooding this board. Your team won good for you...now go away.
Message board banter isn't any real indicator of the perspective of the overall fanbase. I don't know a single Iowa fan that is confident we'll win out our Big 10 season. I'd expect at least 1 loss - maybe 2 before the championship game. It's extremely difficult to go 12-0 no matter how good you are. Ask Alabama. And Iowa clearly isn't talented enough to overcome a bunch of mistakes against a good team. So unless we play extremely well every game - anything can happen.

I wanted to see Iowa win convincingly, or Penn State win convincingly. This didn't settle anything other than to show we're not an elite program that can win a title with our 3rd-string QB, let alone our 2nd-string QB (who was our 4th-string QB before the portal).

And even harder when you're mediocre
I don't know if you want to keep saying you have lost to a mediocre team twice in a row. We're not amazing - but we ain't mediocre either. Iowa is a solid, well-coached team with a number of players who will play in the NFL.

We've been following this plan for quite some time. Recruit players with upside. Develop them. And then play solid, fundamental football.

Here is the current list of colleges with the most players in the NFL - current as of September. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-09-06/nfl-players-college-2021-rosters

Alabama53
Ohio State47
LSU46
Georgia35
Notre Dame34
Clemson33
Iowa33
Florida32
Michigan32
Oklahoma31
Penn State31
Texas26

Last edited:
I don't know if you want to keep saying you have lost to a mediocre team twice in a row. We're not amazing - but we ain't mediocre either. Iowa is a solid, well-coached team with a number of players who will play in the NFL.

Iowa is a good team with a solid defense, an excellent punter, and a below average offense. The RB is a stud - but, they’re going to struggle against teams who are able to force them to pass. You see what happened playing PSU - short field really let Iowa do very little to get points on the board and forced PSU to burn plays just go get some breathing room. Our best run stuffer got injured and Iowa did just enough to win the game.

Iowa is a good team with a solid defense, an excellent punter, and a below average offense. The RB is a stud - but, they’re going to struggle against teams who are able to force them to pass. You see what happened playing PSU - short field really let Iowa do very little to get points on the board and forced PSU to burn plays just go get some breathing room. Our best run stuffer got injured and Iowa did just enough to win the game.
I agree. If Iowa gets behind we could be in trouble. We are a tempo/ball control team. Nothing flashy - just fundamentals. PSU is a great team and could run the table if Clifford is back in two weeks. This bump in the road could end up being exactly what was needed to catapult you. But like I mentioned before - going 12-0 is always going to be extremely difficult and a loss early to midseason sometimes isn't such a bad thing. Your destiny is still in front of you.

I wonder if Iowa would have been better off losing this game so that the pressure would have been off. Now the spotlight is on the team and so is the pressure. Iowa not used to this...

But, I think it helps that many are doubting them and claiming they don't deserve to be where they are. Helps the team keep a chip on its shoulder.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I agree. If Iowa gets behind we could be in trouble. We are a tempo/ball control team. Nothing flashy - just fundamentals. PSU is a great team and could run the table if Clifford is back in two weeks. But like I mentioned before - going 12-0 is extremely difficult. This bump in the road could end up being exactly what you needed to catapult you.

I wonder if Iowa would have been better off losing this game so that the pressure would have been off. Now the spotlight is on them and so is the pressure. Iowa not used to this...

Their schedule is such that it probably doesn’t matter much. That said, Purdue has had Iowa’s number lately…maybe the worst team to play after such a big, emotional win.

Reactions: Metuo Accipiter
Info is interesting-

Bowl games​

Iowa has appeared in 25 bowl games, including 23 bowl games the past 30 seasons. In bowl games, Iowa has a 14-10-1 record:

DateBowlW/LOpponentPFPA
January 1, 1957Rose BowlWOregon State3519
January 1, 1959Rose BowlWCalifornia3812
January 1, 1982Rose BowlLWashington028
December 31, 1982Peach BowlWTennessee2822
December 30, 1983Gator BowlLFlorida614
December 16, 1984Freedom BowlWTexas5517
January 1, 1986Rose BowlLUCLA2845
December 30, 1986Holiday BowlWSan Diego State3938
December 30, 1987Holiday BowlWWyoming2019
December 31, 1988Peach BowlLNorth Carolina State2328
January 1, 1991Rose BowlLWashington3446
December 30, 1991Holiday BowlTBYU1313
December 31, 1993Alamo BowlLCalifornia337
December 29, 1995Sun BowlWWashington3818
December 29, 1996Alamo BowlWTexas Tech270
December 31, 1997Sun BowlLArizona State717
December 29, 2001Alamo BowlWTexas Tech1916
January 2, 2003Orange BowlLSouthern California1738
January 1, 2004Outback BowlWFlorida3717
January 1, 2005Capital One BowlWLSU3025
January 2, 2006Outback BowlLFlorida2431
December 29, 2006Alamo BowlLTexas2426
January 1, 2009Outback BowlWSouth Carolina3110
January 5, 2010Orange BowlWGeorgia Tech2414
December 28, 2010Insight BowlWMissouri2724
Total25 Bowl Games14-10-1627574

Individual honors​

Main article: List of Iowa Hawkeyes football honorees
Over the course of the team's history, individual Hawkeye players of exceptional ability have received many accolades. Iowa has had several players inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, College Football Hall of Fame, Canadian Football Hall of Fame, and Iowa Sports Hall of Fame. Individual Hawkeyes have won many prestigious national awards, including the Outland Trophy, the Davey O'Brien Award, Doak Walker Award, and the Heisman Trophy. 92 Hawkeyes have been named a first-team or second-team All-American, and 22 have been named consensus first-team All-Americans.

The Iowa Hawkeyes have had ten players win the Big Ten Most Valuable Player Award, and 219 Hawks have earned All-Big Ten recognition. Iowa has had 229 NFL draft picks, and several former Hawkeye players have gone on to become NFL head coaches or Division I college head coaches.

Only two numbers have ever been retired by the Hawkeye football program, Nile Kinnick's #24 and Cal Jones' #62. Kinnick won the University of Iowa's only Heisman Trophy in 1939, while Jones was the first African-American to win the Outland Trophy in 1955.

Their schedule is such that it probably doesn’t matter much. That said, Purdue has had Iowa’s number lately…maybe the worst team to play after such a big, emotional win.
Either them or Northwestern. Both are dangerous for Iowa. There isn't a team left that can't beat us.

Info is interesting-

Bowl games​

Iowa has appeared in 25 bowl games, including 23 bowl games the past 30 seasons. In bowl games, Iowa has a 14-10-1 record:

DateBowlW/LOpponentPFPA
January 1, 1957Rose BowlWOregon State3519
January 1, 1959Rose BowlWCalifornia3812
January 1, 1982Rose BowlLWashington028
December 31, 1982Peach BowlWTennessee2822
December 30, 1983Gator BowlLFlorida614
December 16, 1984Freedom BowlWTexas5517
January 1, 1986Rose BowlLUCLA2845
December 30, 1986Holiday BowlWSan Diego State3938
December 30, 1987Holiday BowlWWyoming2019
December 31, 1988Peach BowlLNorth Carolina State2328
January 1, 1991Rose BowlLWashington3446
December 30, 1991Holiday BowlTBYU1313
December 31, 1993Alamo BowlLCalifornia337
December 29, 1995Sun BowlWWashington3818
December 29, 1996Alamo BowlWTexas Tech270
December 31, 1997Sun BowlLArizona State717
December 29, 2001Alamo BowlWTexas Tech1916
January 2, 2003Orange BowlLSouthern California1738
January 1, 2004Outback BowlWFlorida3717
January 1, 2005Capital One BowlWLSU3025
January 2, 2006Outback BowlLFlorida2431
December 29, 2006Alamo BowlLTexas2426
January 1, 2009Outback BowlWSouth Carolina3110
January 5, 2010Orange BowlWGeorgia Tech2414
December 28, 2010Insight BowlWMissouri2724
Total25 Bowl Games14-10-1627574

Individual honors​

Main article: List of Iowa Hawkeyes football honorees
Over the course of the team's history, individual Hawkeye players of exceptional ability have received many accolades. Iowa has had several players inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, College Football Hall of Fame, Canadian Football Hall of Fame, and Iowa Sports Hall of Fame. Individual Hawkeyes have won many prestigious national awards, including the Outland Trophy, the Davey O'Brien Award, Doak Walker Award, and the Heisman Trophy. 92 Hawkeyes have been named a first-team or second-team All-American, and 22 have been named consensus first-team All-Americans.

The Iowa Hawkeyes have had ten players win the Big Ten Most Valuable Player Award, and 219 Hawks have earned All-Big Ten recognition. Iowa has had 229 NFL draft picks, and several former Hawkeye players have gone on to become NFL head coaches or Division I college head coaches.

Only two numbers have ever been retired by the Hawkeye football program, Nile Kinnick's #24 and Cal Jones' #62. Kinnick won the University of Iowa's only Heisman Trophy in 1939, while Jones was the first African-American to win the Outland Trophy in 1955.
Missing the past decade. We had a rough patch in bowl games after winning the Orange bowl in 2009 --- but have turned it around since 2017.

2011Insight BowlOklahoma SoonersLost14-31
2013Outback BowlLSU TigersLost14-21
2014TaxSlayer BowlTennessee VolunteersLost28-45
2015Rose BowlStanford CardinalLost16-45
2016Outback BowlFlorida GatorsLost3-30
2017Pinstripe BowlBoston College EaglesWon27-20
2018Outback BowlMississippi State BulldogsWon27-22
2019Holiday BowlUSC TrojansWon49-24

They won a football game , at home, ranked number three by beating the number 4 team fair and square .
Don’t be dramatic, injuries are part of the game ,
Still reminds me of white trash....
What head football coach do you know that has a lawsuit against him by many of his ex players of color?

• Haha
For the Iowa fans…. Why doesn’t anyone want to join the Big Ten East instead of staying in the ACC’s version of the coastal division? Your biggest game every year is your cross division game against Osu, Psu, Um, or MSu (if you get one at all and it’s usually at home) Why not join and play them all every year? At least you would get the respect of this free board that has been around since 1994. Why not step up and suggest playing in the big boy division? We are all ears ;-) !

They won a football game , at home, ranked number three by beating the number 4 team fair and square .
What part of Iowa are you from? I'm a Penn State alum and that's my team, but I also follow the Hawkeyes. I wanted something to make me think this wasn't the 2015 Iowa team all over again. That this team was for real. I didn't get that. Sure, they won because we didn't do a good job of managing the backup QB position. But if you're an Iowa fan you can't assume you'll get a QB knockout anytime you need one. Most teams will probably do a better job of having QB2 ready to go.

I agree. If Iowa gets behind we could be in trouble. We are a tempo/ball control team. Nothing flashy - just fundamentals. PSU is a great team and could run the table if Clifford is back in two weeks. This bump in the road could end up being exactly what was needed to catapult you. But like I mentioned before - going 12-0 is always going to be extremely difficult and a loss early to midseason sometimes isn't such a bad thing. Your destiny is still in front of you.

I wonder if Iowa would have been better off losing this game so that the pressure would have been off. Now the spotlight is on the team and so is the pressure. Iowa not used to this...

But, I think it helps that many are doubting them and claiming they don't deserve to be where they are. Helps the team keep a chip on its shoulder.
No one is doubting Iowa is #2. Rather people KNOW that Iowa isn't the #2 the in the nation. If Indiana and ISU were not ridiculously overrated preseason, you're ranking would not be what is right now.

Name me another game of this magnitude (top 5 teams) where the starting QB was playing this well then got knocked out of the game? I can't think of one. It's also rare for our starting QB to get knocked out of a game, even though we've had some seemingly patchwork OLs in recent years. Clifford went down with a leg injury at Ohio State in 2019, but he generally has been durable. This was just totally unexpected which is why I'm so frustrated by it.

Neil Rudel makes a good point, looking at it from another standpoint....Penn State QB depth exposed.

Name me another game of this magnitude (top 5 teams) where the starting QB was playing this well then got knocked out of the game? I can't think of one. It's also rare for our starting QB to get knocked out of a game, even though we've had some seemingly patchwork OLs in recent years. Clifford went down with a leg injury at Ohio State in 2019, but he generally has been durable. This was just totally unexpected which is why I'm so frustrated by it.

Neil Rudel makes a good point, looking at it from another standpoint....Penn State QB depth exposed.

Players get confidence from game experience Levis left because the only way to get on the field was as a FB and never a qb... so here we are.

Players get confidence from game experience Levis left because the only way to get on the field was as a FB and never a qb... so here we are.
Even though it will help Iowa, I am pulling for Levis to upset the Dawgs on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT