ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Illinois

Anybody watching this one? Chertow strikes me as the Tony Romo of wrestling announcing. Talking constantly throughout the match, actually using wrestling terminology and telling us the names of moves. I find it such a great upgrade from Gibbons earlier, great energy. Even Sparks can't get too many words in!
I liked Chertow. He brought a little more to the table than you usually get.

Last edited:
whats with all these Illini guys busting on the iowa wrestlers and coaches....its almost like people enjoy giving it back to them :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
This^^, in spades. The behavior of the Illinois guys was, in large part, a direct result of the repeated punk-like actions of the Iowa coaches and certain Iowa wrestlers over the years. This is even understand and recognized on HR, at least by the more astute/objective posters there.

Anybody watching this one? Chertow strikes me as the Tony Romo of wrestling announcing. Talking constantly throughout the match, actually using wrestling terminology and telling us the names of moves. I find it such a great upgrade from Gibbons earlier, great energy. Even Sparks can't get too many words in!
Chertow is a huge upgrade over Gibbons, though that is a low standard to exceed. But, yeah, Chertow provided a bunch of good insight. Also liked his candor, statements like "the Illinois wrestler is broken", "not much effort there trying to escape from wrestler XYZ", and "they're not hand-fighting, they're playing patty-cake".

Chertow did misspeak a few times (e.g., misunderstood a reference to Caleb Young's recent winning counter-throw in the Iowa-Minnesota dual, called someone a true freshman who is really a RS freshman), but overall a very refreshing upgrade over Gibbons, who sometimes doesn't even know the score in the match he is watching.

So all you guys can bitch about is Murin crying..Why no bitching about the way the Ill guy made fun of it.? If Desanto does that to some one holy crap you all would want him dq and miss some matches..Nice you can really hate us that much when you beat us all the time right now. When Gable was wining every one hated us and all we would say thats ok as long as we win.
Hey man, I think you're a little mixed up. Don't you play mean, slanderous cop toward us over on HR, and good cop here?

Chertow is a huge upgrade over Gibbons, though that is a low standard to exceed. But, yeah, Chertow provided a bunch of good insight. Also liked his candor, statements like "the Illinois wrestler is broken", "not much effort there trying to escape from wrestler XYZ", and "they're not hand-fighting, they're playing patty-cake".

Chertow did misspeak a few times (e.g., misunderstood a reference to Caleb Young's recent winning counter-throw in the Iowa-Minnesota dual, called someone a true freshman who is really a RS freshman), but overall a very refreshing upgrade over Gibbons, who sometimes doesn't even know the score in the match he is watching.

Yeah, that’s all well and good, but did Kenny bring his hips to the party?

I'm guessing Desanto missed because of his unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in back to back matches? If so, this is definitely something to watch for in the future.

Quit ducking tosu michigan and psu? Youre an idiot
No he has a point. Penn State and Iowa are not wrestling this year simply because Tom Brands refused to bring his team to State College for a match. No other. In other words, yes Tom Brands chose to duck Penn State in wrestling just as clearly as he forced Stoll to duck Snyder even with the dual outcome in doubt.

No he has a point. Penn State and Iowa are not wrestling this year simply because Tom Brands refused to bring his team to State College for a match. No other. In other words, yes Tom Brands chose to duck Penn State in wrestling just as clearly as he forced Stoll to duck Snyder even with the dual outcome in doubt.
Always see people say that iowa choose not to wrestle psu this year, but have never seen any sources on the matter. And he had stoll duck snyder because he wasnt trying to risk injury. My god stoll is one of the most broken wrestlers in the NCAA right now. Everyone knew iowa wasnt going to beat tosu last year. So why start him?

Always see people say that iowa choose not to wrestle psu this year, but have never seen any sources on the matter. And he had stoll duck snyder because he wasnt trying to risk injury. My god stoll is one of the most broken wrestlers in the NCAA right now. Everyone knew iowa wasnt going to beat tosu last year. So why start him?

Here's the problem. A wrestler stands as good a chance of getting injured in any match he/she wrestles. Please show me some data that indicates you are more likely to get hurt in a match against an opponent with a reasonable chance to beat you than in one against someone who isn't as good.

Therefore, if a wrestler is wrestling matches in which he is just as likely to get hurt but more likely to win as opposed to those in which he stands a better chance of losing, the rationale is clearly to preserve his record/seed.

The fact that the selection decision is based on the quality of the opponent belies the sham that it is done for health reasons. It's a much different story if one is held out until healthy enough to wrestle and stays in the lineup after that. But the pick and choose approach based on the quality of the opponent is farcical.

I am pretty sure Cael came out and said it was Iowa’s turn to come to PSU for a non conference bout but they chose not to.

Here's the problem. A wrestler stands as good a chance of getting injured in any match he/she wrestles. Please show me some data that indicates you are more likely to get hurt in a match against an opponent with a reasonable chance to beat you than in one against someone who isn't as good.

Therefore, if a wrestler is wrestling matches in which he is just as likely to get hurt but more likely to win as opposed to those in which he stands a better chance of losing, the rationale is clearly to preserve his record/seed.

The fact that the selection decision is based on the quality of the opponent belies the sham that it is done for health reasons. It's a much different story if one is held out until healthy enough to wrestle and stays in the lineup after that. But the pick and choose approach based on the quality of the opponent is farcical.

For a wrestler as broken as stoll clearly the coaches had a plan and were not just ducking him to duck. I wrestled with a knee injury and last thing you want is face some one as physical as snyder. Notice how he didnt duck coon last year

Reactions: PrairieHawk24
For a wrestler as broken as stoll clearly the coaches had a plan and were not just ducking him to duck. I wrestled with a knee injury and last thing you want is face some one as physical as snyder. Notice how he didnt duck coon last year
Brands and Cael have acknowledged multiple times in the past Penn State and Iowa should wrestle annually. The first time the Big10 did not schedule the two the two coaches made a big presentation in announcing the match and the BTN changed things around to televise the match.
Yes, I know for a fact the last two times the Big10 did not schedule the two programs they both agreed to meet, but the match did not get scheduled because Brands refused to travel his team to State College. You figure out the source.

Stoll and Snyder. The reason for the flack is Stoll was healthy last year, Stoll almost certainly was never going to beat Snyder unless he somehow caught him and pinned him, and Stoll is supposed to be a thrower. Not that I recall ever seeing him initiate any upper or lower body offense, but still a pinner's chance. Right? With the dual still a pin away Tom threw in the towel. The fear of a Gwiz repeat was greater than the belief in the kid.
Just like the fear of a televised beatdown from PSU was greater than the belief in his team to step up caused Tom to duck Penn State.

And Connell had no chance agains Moore last year.

yes, well worth the listen! think he said he's doing the psu match next week
But does Kenny know what happens if the laces are on the mat?? Lol.

Kenny is a massive upgrade over Gibbons. I actually turned off the sound to just watch the Mich/OSU match. Then made the mistake of turning it back on for National Champion Myles Martin....which must mean Gibbons is in a time warp.

Reactions: Creek Side
But does Kenny know what happens if the laces are on the mat?? Lol.

Kenny is a massive upgrade over Gibbons. I actually turned off the sound to just watch the Mich/OSU match. Then made the mistake of turning it back on for National Champion Myles Martin....which must mean Gibbons is in a time warp.
I also love the Myles Martin gets so much better every year trope. Yeah, he’s very good, but it’s as if they want to throw past years’ results out when they say that. Like if he and Bo wrestled this year, he’d clearly win because he’s gotten so much better.

The undersized 184 thing is funny too. He looked fine that year - certainly as big as noodle arms did who only beat Gabe Dean that year.

Note to self. Don't play with firearms.

Reactions: Ski
I also love the Myles Martin gets so much better every year trope. Yeah, he’s very good, but it’s as if they want to throw past years’ results out when they say that. Like if he and Bo wrestled this year, he’d clearly win because he’s gotten so much better.

The undersized 184 thing is funny too. He looked fine that year - certainly as big as noodle arms did who only beat Gabe Dean that year.
No sh**. What wrestler doesn't get better every year?

Such a dumb and tired cliche. Then again, Gibbons is fluent in them. Maybe someday he can find an ESL class.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
it meets our criteria- so it's a duck

So all you guys can bitch about is Murin crying..Why no bitching about the way the Ill guy made fun of it.? If Desanto does that to some one holy crap you all would want him dq and miss some matches..Nice you can really hate us that much when you beat us all the time right now. When Gable was wining every one hated us and all we would say thats ok as long as we win.
There's a lot here I agree with. The mocking of the wrestler was total bush league. Let's not pretend, however, that you or your board have a leg to stand on. The mocking and accusations on HR are ridiculous. Personally, I don't get it. Joking around is one thing, mocking and derogatory comments are another. I respond every once in a while over there, usually in response to Ironbird or Vodka, but only because they constantly insinuate and accuse with zero facts. I wonder if y'all ever get tired of debating whether Cael can coach. You have to be a special kind of stupid to claim that when Cael has won as much as he has. That goes for the Brands as well. I get the rivalries. I don't get the stupid.

Did he really cry? He cried when he lost in the PIAA finals to Courtney so I wouldn’t be surprised.
I think he did out of frustration. He had the match won and is obviously putting his heart and soul into it. Max always seemed like a good kid.

I love that Marinelli is definitely going to beat Joseph because he's so much improved.

And doesn’t VJ have more pins this year than his first two years combined? But he probably hasn’t improved... ;)

And doesn’t VJ have more pins this year than his first two years combined? But he probably hasn’t improved... ;)

Throw in his redshirt year and he has more pins this year than his first three years combined.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT