ADVERTISEMENT

In thinking about the cfb playoffs, how many more NCs would Paterno had if the playoffs existed then

Ok, but you do realize today in the playoff time it’s all about who you have beaten and how many style points you got. That PSU team beat I believe beat 2 ranked team (Ohio State and Wisky), lost to a pretty average Michigan team, and outside of sucky Illinois and Minny at home, who was 7-5 average didn’t really blown anyone out. Even the MSU game they only won by 9. You imagine if Clemson only beat Pitt by 9 today. Everyone would want them to drop in the playoff poll.

That PSU team with their resume prob would have been 5-6.
That's possible, but they were #3 in the polls even before the bowl games and the other teams had 2 losses, including Ohio State who lost head-to-head.

You have an issue with Penn St alums referring to our football team as “we”?

1) You can't assume everyone on this board is an alum. Some of the most frequent posters on this board have no connection to PSU.
2) "We" is defined as "I and the rest of a group that includes me". I was simply asking if he is actually one of the student athletes, the 2005 PSU football team, that worked very hard to be a part of that group.

Have you never done the We Are cheer? Should we change it to They Are to suit your sensibility?

Apples and Oranges. When you do the "we are" cheer, you aren't saying, "We are... Penn State Football players". Do you think that when they do the "we are" cheer at a basketball game, or Hockey game, etc., that it is referring to football? How about when it's done at a graduation? How about when you are in some random city with a PSU hat on and someone says "We are" to you? I suggest you do a little research into the phrase:

"At its core, the phrase instills a sense of community and connection to one university, geographically dispersed. In fact, the phrase resounds in Penn State’s freshman convocations, serving as the official welcome for the incoming freshmen class, and at many of the graduation ceremonies signifying that as alumni, you are still a part of Penn State. At the heart of the Penn State values is community, or the fact that we work together for the betterment of our University, the communities we serve, and the world."

Obviously he won in '82 and '86.
He lost a national championship game in '78 and '85.
I think Penn State would have been in the playoffs in '68, '69, '94 and '05. I think in '73 we would have been left out.
I think we would have won it all in '69 and '94 giving Joe four national titles.
Thoughts?

https://johnbaranowski.wordpress.co...e-won-if-he-had-the-college-football-playoff/

Agree with your assessment with one exception 1968. Eastern football didn't have the respect it deserved so Joe would have been written off that season but having won something like 30 in a row by the end of 1969 could no longer be ignored. Interestingly he may have been the Boise State / UCF of the 1960s. 1973 was all Cappaletti. Overall the offense was not that great beyond John's contributions.

We were up 31-14 on MSU before a late score. Never in danger. They had been 9-1 against Top 10 teams heading into that one and needed a win for a Bowl. I think FSU's record was deceptive. If I remember, they had some players out who returned for the Bowl Game. In any event they had 3 first-rounders in the front 7 on that D. USC should have beaten Texas if they didn't get cute.

That was a great season. Team was just as good or better than Texas or USC. USC needed the Bush push to survive Notre Dame and they needed a huge second half to beat Fresno State. Texas might've been a better matchup for our defense. They had to dumb down the offense for Vince Young. I have to think we would've had a good defensive game plan to stop him and that offense.

I agree, they shut down Dan Marino and Marcus Allen in back to back games and they are two of the all time greats.
That was a great team but getting spanked by Bama at home and losing to Jim Kelly’s Hurricane team at the Orange Bowl didn’t help.
They had a brutal schedule that year though.
Jim Kelly was two years earlier

Jim Kelly was two years earlier
Jim Kelly started at QB against PSU in 1981. Mark Richt also played some. Kelly threw for an 80-yard TD and 2-point conversion. Kelly also was the QB when we lost to Miami 26-10 at home in 1979 - the first game I got to see in person. Coincidentally the next one I saw in person was the 1981 West Virginia game the week before the Miami loss. We were #1 that week.and I got a foam #1 finger on the way in to the game. Curt Warner was held out for that one. He started against Miami, but didn't play the second half. Brian Franco couldn't buy a field goal in that one. 0-for-4. Miami made 3. Probably because of that, trailing 14-0 PSU went for a TD instead of a field goal at the end of the half and Blackledge was stopped at the 1. That was a Halloween game that turned into a nightmare. Still had a chance to pull it out at the end, but just too many mistakes.

We will soon. Have an 8 team playoff....had that been around we’d be National Champions in 1968, 1969,1973, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1991, 1994, 2005, 2008, 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT