ADVERTISEMENT

Impressive win, Nittany Lions. Next three games are brutal

This is the Penn State team I expected to watch all season. Good luck on the rest of the season.

Nov. 7 at Northwestern 12:00pm
Nov. 21 Michigan TBA
Nov. 28 at Michigan State TBA

Take a look at my weekly power rankings for more Big Ten football discussion.
Don't think either the coaches or the players were expecting a Temple team that well coached or motivated and approached the game accordingly. Wartman's injury also hurt big time in terms of both his absence and team morale. He was the Hack of our defense.

We needed to play a perfect game to win in the 'Shoe and we didn't.

I wouldn't use the term "brutal" to describe the next three games. Yeah they will be some of our tougher games but winnable for the Lions. Certainly we will have to play better that our average play in this season, but our average play has been improving making these next three games winnable.

I wouldn't use the term "brutal" to describe the next three games. Yeah they will be some of our tougher games but winnable for the Lions. Certainly we will have to play better that our average play in this season, but our average play has been improving making these next three games winnable.

Yeah, I'd say the next 3 opponents have changed their outlook on facing PSU. They're all well-coached so I doubt they would have been over-confident, but they should be taking notice. I'm fine with the underdog role in these games.

This is the Penn State team I expected to watch all season. Good luck on the rest of the season.

Nov. 21 Michigan TBA

I really think the toughest one is NW because they have a "mobile" QB. We have REALLY struggled against those : Temple, Indiana, OSU, Maryland.
As for Michigan I think we win that one. The MSU game on the road will be big if PSU wins the NW and Michigan games. Which will be great fun if the planets aline :) actually I meant the OL :)

I really think the toughest one is NW because they have a "mobile" QB. We have REALLY struggled against those : Temple, Indiana, OSU, Maryland.
As for Michigan I think we win that one. The MSU game on the road will be big if PSU wins the NW and Michigan games. Which will be great fun if the planets aline :) actually I meant the OL :)

Yeah, that's a good point, but the NW QB Thorson is not on the same level certainly as J.T. Barrett running an option with Zeke Elliott and Braxton Miller along side. Nor does he have the numbers that Perry Hills of MD has on the ground:
Hills -- 517 yards; 6.4 yds/carry
Thorson -- 297 yards; 4.6 yds/carry

Thorson is big but not as quick or fast.
This is a manageable problem IMO.

Yeah, that's a good point, but the NW QB Thorson is not on the same level certainly as J.T. Barrett running an option with Zeke Elliott and Braxton Miller along side. Nor does he have the numbers that Perry Hills of MD has on the ground:
Hills -- 517 yards; 6.4 yds/carry
Thorson -- 297 yards; 4.6 yds/carry

Thorson is big but not as quick or fast.
This is a manageable problem IMO.
Think Hills with less running ability or Lunt with less passing ability.
Thorson passes more than Hills but is not really more effective:
Hills 67/128, 52.3%, 738 yards,5.77/attempt, 7TD 10INT.
Thorson 107/203, 52.7%, 1119 yards, 5.51/attempt, 6 TD 5 INT.
Nor is their running attack all that much: Their stats (4.1 per carry) are similar to Maryland's (5.2) without Hills (4.2).
Statistically, their D is better than MD's and similar to PSU's.

MSU will be the toughest game.

Nov. 21 Michigan TBA

With PSU digging out from the sanctions, I figured on 7 - 8 wins this year. IMO, any win going forward is gravy. We got 7 wins, & the extra bowl practices will be valuable for all the young talent on this team.

Reactions: BBrown
With PSU digging out from the sanctions, I figured on 7 - 8 wins this year. IMO, any win going forward is gravy. We got 7 wins, & the extra bowl practices will be valuable for all the young talent on this team.

Yep. I said a while back that I'd be satisfied (not happy, but satisfied) with the direction of the team with seven wins this season. Now, of course, I want one more! And if it happens this week vs NW, I'll want yet another one!!

PSU wins are like football crack to me!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT