ADVERTISEMENT

Important test for the coaching staff

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
So hard to get back in the groove after a loss like that. The 1999 team fell apart after the heartbreak upset to Minnesota. The 2008 team came back strong after losing at Kinnick -- but they had Indiana at home and then MSU at home.

This is a really challenging game at East Lansing against another team that takes it personally that the PSU program is rising. MSU would really like to smack PSU down.

I think the team has great leadership and Franklin seems to handle psychological preparation very well so I anticipate they'll come out fighting. But this is a very dangerous game and MSU is, needless to say, not even faintly resembling the crippled team that came to the Beav last year.

Why is it hard to get in a groove?
I expect PSU to be full of piss and vinegar and kick MSU's ass!
If not, will be disappointing.

So hard to get back in the groove after a loss like that. The 1999 team fell apart after the heartbreak upset to Minnesota. The 2008 team came back strong after losing at Kinnick -- but they had Indiana at home and then MSU at home.

This is a really challenging game at East Lansing against another team that takes it personally that the PSU program is rising. MSU would really like to smack PSU down.

I think the team has great leadership and Franklin seems to handle psychological preparation very well so I anticipate they'll come out fighting. But this is a very dangerous game and MSU is, needless to say, not even faintly resembling the crippled team that came to the Beav last year.
agreed, we can not let OSU beat us twice!!

1999 Team and this 2017 Team have vastly different leadership and chemistry...I think 1999 were a bunch of headaches... talented of course but still headcases.

2017 has really seen it all...

Reactions: Nitt1300
Why is it hard to get in a groove?
I expect PSU to be full of piss and vinegar and kick MSU's ass!
If not, will be disappointing.
Dream crusher effect. Teams often come out flat the week after a loss crushes their hopes for a championship (whether it's conference or national). We'll see if Franklin can convince them that they still have a chance for the playoffs, or at least a really good bowl game. I think this game will say a lot about JF as a motivator.

1999 Team and this 2017 Team have vastly different leadership and chemistry...I think 1999 were a bunch of headaches... talented of course but still headcases.

2017 has really seen it all...

Agree. Leadership on this team is outstanding. Gesicki's post-game words were so great. These players are really there for each other.

And really they're in a good place. If in September you'd offered me 7-1 at this point in the season with the only loss a 1-pointer at the Shoe, I would have gladly taken the deal. They can win out and it's a great, great season even if they end up just outside the playoff again (which would be a shame, but they don't control that).

Dream crusher effect. Teams often come out flat the week after a loss crushes their hopes for a championship (whether it's conference or national). We'll see if Franklin can convince them that they still have a chance for the playoffs, or at least a really good bowl game. I think this game will say a lot about JF as a motivator.
Or how about for Moorehead learning that going by what the chart says all the time instead of actually seeing whats going on and just for once dictate terms on your conditions not what the defense looks like they might be giving you

Or how about for Moorehead learning that going by what the chart says all the time instead of actually seeing whats going on and just for once dictate terms on your conditions not what the defense looks like they might be giving you
I love you guys complaining about Moorhead. Guy has dramatically PSU offense.
Maybe he should work on those plays where the offensive can't block sh!t.

Reactions: PearlSUJam

I agree. This game can go 1 of 2 ways- come out on fire looking to prove a point or flat on the road in a noon game and have a tight game or loss #2. Hopefully the team is focused and angry. We should know pretty soon after kickoff.

The fans have certainly been distracted this week. ;) Most of the talk here (myself included) was on the Ohio St game, bad loss, and first set of rankings by the selection committee.

True. The offense is much more dynamic than in years past but at the same time worse in blocking and running game than years ago.

The inability to grind out first downs with the running game, especially on 3rd and short, has been an issue all year. It was not really addressed/ fixed since the team was winning big over lesser teams but once they hit Ohio St....

As we enter worse weather over the next few weeks the running game will be more important than ever. IMO these end of season games may be closer and more nerve racking than some think.

Yeah it's pretty funny. Why don't we bring back that committee system where one guy was calling passing plays, one guy was calling running plays, a third guy was chiming in and meanwhile the head coach would grab the clipboard and take over when he was in the mood. Those were the days.

If Penn State plays bad it won't have anything to do with getting beat by OSU, or in a groove. They are missing two of the best players on the team in Buchholz and Bates. This team is not as good without them. The best teams at the end of the year are usually the most healthy ones

Reactions: jiml25
If Penn State plays bad it won't have anything to do with getting beat by OSU, or in a groove. They are missing two of the best players on the team in Buchholz and Bates. This team is not as good without them. The best teams at the end of the year are usually the most healthy ones

i agree - missing those two players changes the game substantially. not sure we would have won Iowa without them.

Reactions: ralphster

Silly. Why can't we appreciate the amazing impact Moorhead has made while at the same time question why he seemingly can't scheme to allow arguably the greatest RB in school history to have more success running the football? Is Moorhead completely immune from criticism? He's a big boy, I think he can take it.

Silly. Why can't we appreciate the amazing impact Moorhead has made while at the same time question why he seemingly can't scheme to allow arguably the greatest RB in school history to have more success running the football? Is Moorhead completely immune from criticism? He's a big boy, I think he can take it.

precisely... some of these posters are drones and imagine the coaches to be their personal queen bees..... :rolleyes:

Reactions: PSU&Trout

But the hopes for a championship are not crushed.

No it comes down to how many points we have when Franklin stops running the offense and let's msu back in the game

Reactions: PSUChicago
If Penn State plays bad it won't have anything to do with getting beat by OSU, or in a groove. They are missing two of the best players on the team in Buchholz and Bates. This team is not as good without them.

Great teams, top 5 teams, can overcome the loss of two great players. Whether that's PSU this year, I guess we find out tomorrow.

PSU's depth is not what it will be (hopefully) in two years. Where I think Franklin is taking this program, they will have the kind of depth Ohio State has. But not yet obviously. If PSU wants to be one of the superprograms again, they have to keep recruiting like they have the last year -- and do it for the next four years, and then four years more after that....

I do not think that OSU was a depth issue in total, I think it was at least in part a deployment issue as well. I think that was the case more so on the DL than with the OL. Somehow PSU seems to have the great misfortune of late to have multiple injuries at the same position. with the OT and DT position for example... when you are 3rd man deep..... it's not a depth issue with an 85 man scholarship limit it's bad luck.

I do not think that OSU was a depth issue in total, I think it was at least in part a deployment issue as well. I think that was the case more so on the DL than with the OL. Somehow PSU seems to have the great misfortune of late to have multiple injuries at the same position. with the OT and DT position for example... when you are 3rd man deep..... it's not a depth issue with an 85 man scholarship limit it's bad luck.
I appreciate your commentary regarding "on field" matters very much but, (you knew that word was coming, didn't you?) our 3rd deep on the OL and DL is much weaker due to the sanctions no matter how you want to characterize it.

Are you for real or just inherently stupid? o_O

CJF agrees with me... So, you decide genius :confused:
What are the chances? Two notorious deflectionists at their best. :rolleyes:

If you are incapable of (a) seeing and (b) comprehending the differences between O$U’s OL and DL lines vs. PSU’s, then I want some of that home-stilled “homer hooch” you seem to like.

I appreciate your commentary regarding "on field" matters very much but, (you knew that word was coming, didn't you?) our 3rd deep on the OL and DL is much weaker due to the sanctions no matter how you want to characterize it.

85 / 24 and three deep hurts any program at a single position. Will you weenies will still be decrying the sanctions 25 years from now? Probably.

Suppose the injuries on the OL were not all at the tackle positions. (Nelson/Wright/Bates) Two DE's also went down (Brown,Buchholz). Distribution of injuries by position is statistically irrelevant to some of you but not to me.

What are the chances? Two notorious deflectionists at their best. :rolleyes:

If you are incapable of (a) seeing and (b) comprehending the differences between O$U’s OL and DL lines vs. PSU’s, then I want some of that home-stilled “homer hooch” you seem to like.

WTF are you talking about? Above all I see the difference between OSU's 300lb OL and our staff playing a 218 lb DE against them for a ton of snaps. There were other choices. What is it that you are saying.... that Brown and Buchholz are the same as Shaka Toney. I love Toney and think he has a bright future here..... But to expect him to match up with OSUs starting OL for that many snaps was lame, there were other choices and the coaching staff has admitted as much....

Otherwise, Fries is 3 deep at his position from the start of the season. I certainly expect #3 to be a step down and a mismatch against a seasoned OSU DL. Next man up only works so many times at the same position...

Why am I wasting my time.....You must not be familiar with things like statistics.....

I think this group realizes there's only a handful of opportunities left to play with each other. It's a tight group. I think they rally around each other and their coaches and take care of business. I remember the worries in 2005 after the loss to Michigan.. the next week they were up 56-3 at half at Illinois. I think this team has similar leaders and that will show tomorrow. Full month of football left.. only halfway through the conference schedules. Nobody has won or earned anything yet.

If his offense was half as good as the Spread HD or when one guy called running plays and the other guy called passing plays we’d have put 65 on OSU last sat.

This team has been through a lot- and learned from players and coaches who had been through a lot. The 1999 team just flat out quit- there has been no sign of quit from this team since CJF has been here, and I don't expect to see any today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT