ADVERTISEMENT

I'm this old..... can you relate?

I remember getting 3 channels on our black and white TV.
1 telephone in the house with a party (3) line.
No one I knew had air conditioning....virtually unheard of in a home or auto
No power steering or windows and everyone learned to drive with 3 speeds on the column

Last edited:
No power steering or windows and everyone learned to drive with 3 speeds on the column
Yes my friend, those were the good old days I'd like to experience again one more time before i die.

Reactions: m48tank
Actually had to get up off the couch to change the channel..

I remember my dad testing and changing the tubes in the T.V. :oops:

Remember these?

d3c2f0233da36681d0c30a92cb88c71a.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Nittany Security2
LOL, I remember those days. We would get ABC and CBS out of Pittsburgh and NBC out of Johnstown. And in the summer both stations from Pittsburgh would try and come in over the same channel effectively cancelling both stations. My Grandmother was the first in our area that had a rotory antenna and a color TV. Its where I watched all my cartoons and was able to see old Star Treks on CH. 13 out of Pittsburgh along with Chiller Theater.
And yea I remember the "3 on the tree".
My friends family car had vice grips as the window handle.🤦‍♂️

Reactions: odshowtime
LOL, I remember those days. We would get ABC and CBS out of Pittsburgh and NBC out of Johnstown. And in the summer both stations from Pittsburgh would try and come in over the same channel effectively cancelling both stations. My Grandmother was the first in our area that had a rotory antenna and a color TV. Its where I watched all my cartoons and was able to see old Star Treks on CH. 13 out of Pittsburgh along with Chiller Theater.
And yea I remember the "3 on the tree".
My friends family car had vice grips as the window handle.🤦‍♂️
Living just outside of Shamokin, Pa....we got WPIX. They broadcast most of the Yankee Games and all the NYG games. It was the glory years for both teams. So close to Philly and no Phillies or Eagles....LOL. A Yankee and Giant fan to this day.

Living just outside of Shamokin, Pa....we got WPIX. They broadcast most of the Yankee Games and all the NYG games. It was the glory years for both teams. So close to Philly and no Phillies or Eagles....LOL. A Yankee and Giant fan to this day.
I remember that too. I was in Lewistown and got WOR-TV and watched the Mets.

Another one to age us, I remember when the neighborhood got together to watch the MLB All Star gm, guy rolled tv onto porch, people brought food etc.. great time, in a more simple time..

We had a black and white VHF only TV. Only station we could get was channel 10 out of Altoona. At least it had programing from two networks. I believe it was ABC and CBS.

Sounds like we grew up in a similar time/place except I only got 2 channels. One of them was ABC and one was NBC. I couldn't watch any shows on CBS or any of the sports that were on CBS. When ESPN and MTV started broadcasting then I really felt out of the loop as we couldn't get cable where we lived either but we probably wouldn't have been able to afford it even if they were willing to come that far out.

I guess automobile AC is the reason wing vents went away (remember them?)
Wing-VentWindow-223x300.jpg

I remember getting ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS only. And we had a black and white TV when I was really young, but also a color TV. I don't remember only having black and white.

I remember having 3 phones, connected to the wall, with cords that meant you talked within about 6 feet of the phone. No party line. But dad worked for the phone company and got free phones (if you recall, you didn't own the phones, you rented them).

Didn't have AC until I was about 10. Then it was only in one room of the house -- the TV room. No car AC until I was 14.

I learned to drive a 1980 Buick Century, with automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes. But I learned to drive manual in an old GMC pickup truck -- no power brakes (I'm pretty sure no disc brakes either), no power steering and the three on the tree configuration. Felt like that truck drove me instead of the other way around.

I remember getting ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS only. And we had a black and white TV when I was really young, but also a color TV. I don't remember only having black and white.

I remember having 3 phones, connected to the wall, with cords that meant you talked within about 6 feet of the phone. No party line. But dad worked for the phone company and got free phones (if you recall, you didn't own the phones, you rented them).

Didn't have AC until I was about 10. Then it was only in one room of the house -- the TV room. No car AC until I was 14.

I learned to drive a 1980 Buick Century, with automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes. But I learned to drive manual in an old GMC pickup truck -- no power brakes (I'm pretty sure no disc brakes either), no power steering and the three on the tree configuration. Felt like that truck drove me instead of the other way around.
You're still a spring chicken.

Maybe compared to some of you. But I have definitely noticed that the spring doesn't spring like it used to.
The first car i remember was a 30s something with suicide doors, mechanical brakes, hand choke and vacuum wipers that were attached to the roof.

I didn’t have AC until I was in my late 20’s.

Just to add a data point, I grew up without dial telephones. You’d pick up the phone and wait (sometimes for many seconds or even minutes) till an operator came on and said “numba pleeze”! Thankfully we did not have a party line.

Speaking of Party Line, do any of you remember listening to Ed and Wendy King on KDKA radio?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT