ADVERTISEMENT

I'm this old..... can you relate?

Living just outside of Shamokin, Pa....we got WPIX. They broadcast most of the Yankee Games and all the NYG games. It was the glory years for both teams. So close to Philly and no Phillies or Eagles....LOL. A Yankee and Giant fan to this day.
Channel 11 was the Yankees, Channel 9 the Mets. I must have caught 120 Nets games in 1969.

Reactions: marshall23
Just to add a data point, I grew up without dial telephones. You’d pick up the phone and wait (sometimes for many seconds or even minutes) till an operator came on and said “numba pleeze”! Thankfully we did not have a party line.

Speaking of Party Line, do any of you remember listening to Ed and Wendy King on KDKA radio?

Holy crap? I have antique phones -- the type that you talk into the phone while holding the ear piece up to your ear. Those all have rotary dials on them.

The first car i remember was a 30s something with suicide doors, mechanical brakes, hand choke and vacuum wipers that were attached to the roof.

I had to look up what all of that means.

Holy crap? I have antique phones -- the type that you talk into the phone while holding the ear piece up to your ear. Those all have rotary dials on them.

I think we had General Telephone Company back in WPA, not part of Bell. We got dial somewhere in mid 50’s. Our phone number was 912-A. Do you remember, because of expensive long distance calls, when you would travel, call home, let it ring twice, hang up and your parents would know you got there OK?😂

Reactions: psu1969a
I think we had General Telephone Company back in WPA, not part of Bell. We got dial somewhere in mid 50’s. Our phone number was 912-A. Do you remember, because of expensive long distance calls, when you would travel, call home, let it ring twice, hang up and your parents would know you got there OK?😂

I don't remember doing that but it's definitely possible. I remember calling collect, mom would decline then just call me back on the pay phone in the dorms.

I remember long distance had different meanings. Calling from Carlisle to Mechanicsburg was a toll call just like calling Pittsburgh (although different rates).

Reactions: psu_1294
I used to call home collect and ask to speak with Joe Paterno. My folks would say that Joe wasn't home at the moment. And yes it was our code that I was back to SC safely, after my ride I got from the ride boards.

Channel 11 was the Yankees, Channel 9 the Mets.

Same when I lived in Jersey in the mid-‘80s. SportsChannel on cable, too. Tim McCarver and Ralph Kiner doing Mets games.

And TBS broadcast Braves games nationally. “America’s Team.” 🙄

Our first phone was a crank phone. You spoke into the piece attached to the phone and listened with the piece attached to a cord. Three party line. You cranked a combination of longs and shorts to call the two other parties on the same line and one long to get the operator for all other calls. Problem with party lines was the other parties on the same line could hear your ring and listen in.

I don't remember doing that but it's definitely possible. I remember calling collect, mom would decline then just call me back on the pay phone in the dorms.

I remember long distance had different meanings. Calling from Carlisle to Mechanicsburg was a toll call just like calling Pittsburgh (although different rates).

I used to call home collect and ask to speak with Joe Paterno. My folks would say that Joe wasn't home at the moment. And yes it was our code that I was back to SC safely, after my ride I got from the ride boards.
Ah, the old ride boards. Bet they are no longer posted in The HUB or in the dining commons boards! Yep, I hooked up with rides from the ride boards.

Cable? You are just a puppy! I'll bet I have shirts in my closet older than you!

Fair enough, no insult here, but I must say, it was really crappy cable. I can't believe they even ran it out to our neighborhood back then. Harrisburg was no modern metropolis.

Reactions: marshall23
Fair enough, no insult here, but I must say, it was really crappy cable. I can't believe they even ran it out to our neighborhood back then. Harrisburg was no modern metropolis.

Cable was originally designed for areas that received weak or no over-the-air signals.

I suspect that a high % of we BWI posters still do not use the internet...

;)

LOL, I remember those days. We would get ABC and CBS out of Pittsburgh and NBC out of Johnstown. And in the summer both stations from Pittsburgh would try and come in over the same channel effectively cancelling both stations. My Grandmother was the first in our area that had a rotory antenna and a color TV. Its where I watched all my cartoons and was able to see old Star Treks on CH. 13 out of Pittsburgh along with Chiller Theater.
And yea I remember the "3 on the tree".
My friends family car had vice grips as the window handle.🤦‍♂️
Chiller Theater trivia: Terminal Stare attended my wedding.

• Haha
Reactions: BBrown
LOL, I remember those days. We would get ABC and CBS out of Pittsburgh and NBC out of Johnstown. And in the summer both stations from Pittsburgh would try and come in over the same channel effectively cancelling both stations. My Grandmother was the first in our area that had a rotory antenna and a color TV. Its where I watched all my cartoons and was able to see old Star Treks on CH. 13 out of Pittsburgh along with Chiller Theater.
And yea I remember the "3 on the tree".
My friends family car had vice grips as the window handle.🤦‍♂️
WJAC - Ron Stephenson. Bill Wilson on sports. Al Julius on Pittsburgh’s KDKA.

Reactions: BBrown
WJAC - Ron Stephenson. Bill Wilson on sports. Al Julius on Pittsburgh’s KDKA.
Marty Radovanic doing pretty much everything on the weekend. LOL.
Don Cannon on WTAE. The Burns family on KDKA.
I used to love watching WTAE and Bill Hillgrove after we would beat pitt.

Do you speak from personal experience?

I can relate my personal experience of waiting like 45 minutes for a picture to download from these crappy compuserve forums and hoping a nip would show up as the image slowly appeared.

I'm a Asimov fan and it's fun to think about using robots to explore the solar system. Robots doing the dangerous jobs humans can't; resisting the vacuum of space and cosmic rays, and extreme heat and pressure inside the gas giants. The freezing cold and rugged terrain of an atmosphereless moon.

Meanwhile back in reality the best robots they've made so far are the f#ckbots.

I remember getting 3 channels on our black and white TV.
1 telephone in the house with a party (3) line.
No one I knew had air conditioning....virtually unheard of in a home or auto
No power steering or windows and everyone learned to drive with 3 speeds on the column
My grandparents had the first TV I ever saw: B&W of course. I must have been really young because I have very vague memories of being afraid of it. When I was little older, they would babysit for me on Saturday nights. They always watched Lawrence Welk and my grandfather and I watched studio wrestling. I preferred the wrestling. My grandfather loved watching Happy Humphrey (750 lbs), Haystacks Calhoun (>600 lbs), and the midgets. I think I enjoyed my grandfather's commentary more than the wrestling. It was a very different era.

I remember sitting on the front seat of the Packard between my parents on a plywood box my Dad made. My seat belt was my Mom's left arm.

My grandparents had the first TV I ever saw: B&W of course. I must have been really young because I have very vague memories of being afraid of it. When I was little older, they would babysit for me on Saturday nights. They always watched Lawrence Welk and my grandfather and I watched studio wrestling. I preferred the wrestling. My grandfather loved watching Happy Humphrey (750 lbs), Haystacks Calhoun (>600 lbs), and the midgets. I think I enjoyed my grandfather's commentary more than the wrestling. It was a very different era.

I remember sitting on the front seat of the Packard between my parents on a plywood box my Dad made. My seat belt was my Mom's left arm.
Lawrence Welk and the ever present Lennon Sisters were big favorites of my parents as well.

Reactions: We Are . . .
I remember getting 3 channels on our black and white TV.

And this was a real thing

R57d760a6bc75f34d456a62f292db099f

Reactions: We Are . . .
I can relate my personal experience of waiting like 45 minutes for a picture to download from these crappy compuserve forums and hoping a nip would show up as the image slowly appeared.

I'm a Asimov fan and it's fun to think about using robots to explore the solar system. Robots doing the dangerous jobs humans can't; resisting the vacuum of space and cosmic rays, and extreme heat and pressure inside the gas giants. The freezing cold and rugged terrain of an atmosphereless moon.

Meanwhile back in reality the best robots they've made so far are the f#ckbots.
Paragraph one pretty funny. I, too, remember those days although I don't recall looking for nips. Oh, well. Paragraph three pretty funny, too.
Regarding paragraph two, space is fascinating but I'm just one of these earthlings who wishes more time would be spent researching ways to save our planet. We are not going in a good direction, and I don't know how anyone can possibly dispute that. But I'm sure there are those would would try. BY the way, the moon is brilliant tonight. Looking at it right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT