ADVERTISEMENT

I'm done with Beav. My streak will stop at 50 years.

In my day…. we didn’t have:

loud music
seats with back support
male cheerleaders
cellular phones
NIL
scholarship limits
Title IX
RPO offense

In my day… we ran the i-formation. We had a fullback and 75 offensive lineman on scholarship. We didn’t throw it unless it was 3rd down and at least 10.

We played Pitt. And Syracuse. And West Virginia. And Boston College.

In my day, no player started until their 5th year. No matter how much better they were than the starter.

And we liked it. We loved it.
Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Hey NJ…My time will have passed when I’m dead. Until then…feel free to GFY.

And by the way…as I said earlier. It’s not the music…It’s the shitty, distorted sound system. You must not have the money in your pocket to afford decent quality audio in your life, so I guess it doesn’t bother you.
Well I never said your time has passed so there’s that. You sound triggered.

This is most “Ok Boomer” thread in the history of threads.

Of course the music isn’t going to geared for people in their 70’s who need railings and wheelchairs to watch the game. I’m Gen X and hardly young anymore and I like rap music. The music is what the students, players, and recruits want to hear. Your time has passed.
I bet you’re a riot at the games with your wife beater, gold chain and spiked hair with highlights

As far as the ramps to the upper level, if mobility is an issue there is an escalator at the south end of the stadium.
Someone can correct if I’m wrong but the escalator only goes to the middle level concourse between the lower and upper decks. The escalator that continues on is only for the club seating in the South end zone. (Though I wouldn’t be surprised if the staff would allow a more elderly and/or less mobile patron to use it.)

adding another escalator or an elevator doesn’t seem like a big ask for a stadium of this size.

Also with expanded playoffs on the horizon with expected home field games in December, the school needs to consider making sure the Beav is prepared for colder weather.

Reactions: bison13
Someone can correct if I’m wrong but the escalator only goes to the middle level concourse between the lower and upper decks. The escalator that continues on is only for the club seating in the South end zone. (Though I wouldn’t be surprised if the staff would allow a more elderly and/or less mobile patron to use it.)

adding another escalator or an elevator doesn’t seem like a big ask for a stadium of this size.

Also with expanded playoffs on the horizon with expected home field games in December, the school needs to consider making sure the Beav is prepared for colder weather.
True but you can get a pass to use it. Same for the elevators. Also there is an Ada gate that will drive you up the ramp. I walk by it on my way to our section on west side.

The stadium is horrendous for those with any mobility issues. The ramps going up to the row 40 level are bad enough, but it's even worse going down. There are no railings at all and someone can easily lose their balance and tumble down the ramp. Also there are no railings in the middle of the outside aisle steps, nothing to hold onto going up or down. Add the incessant rap or hip-hop or whatever it is blaring from the south end zone and this has to be the worse experience in college football. No wonder why the south end zone seats are only half full. Have been to at least one game every year since 1972 but this is it.
I am very sorry to hear that Mainer. I went to 2 games last year and the 1st one I had to walk up 40 rows at 77 years old. I walk about a 1000 miles per year and it was still difficult for me but even worse coming down. You don't have great balance when you get past 70. My 2nd game I paid $200 for a seat in a club section and it was worth it if I go back next year I'll get seats in the club section every time and pay whatever it costs.
They should have rails in the middle of each aisle. It would make it much safer.

I don't think much can be done about mobility until the stadium overhaul. I will confess that I don't often notice mobility access (beyond obvious wheelchair accommodations) but I've been to a bunch of other stadiums and other than the escalators at Alabama, everywhere I've been involves ramps and crowded staircases.

Regarding cell service, three of your examples (USC, OSU, UM) are in much more populated areas than State College. This means more cell towers and better cell coverage. It's not clear to me why people are on their phone during the game anyway. I get it for meeting up pre-game or post-game, but I've never had a problem with service for that purpose.
Auburn had a elevators to the upper deck.

I agree about the elevator and escalator idea. I've watched some physically challenged fans going up and down the stairs and without a railing it is an accident waiting to happen. It's not just for older fans but there are younger fans bringing small children that also presents a challenge.

..and facemasks.

4520720396_c411825396_o.jpg
True story: my great uncle was one of the monsters of the midway and among the last not to wear a mask. Years later when he coached the rams, the team was getting pushed around a fair bit. Do he came into the locker room and said, “you know what your problem is? You got too god damn many of these!” And he he took his teeth out and threw them on the training table.

I understand that people love the experience of being there but the gameday experience is pretty awful once you get past about 30 lol.
It's not just football either. Concerts, games, all of it. Bloody hell. Let the kids play. I'm out.

One way to address the noise issue is an OSHA complaint. My bet is the noise exceeds permissible OSHA limits. While OSHA had no jurisdiction over the general public, they do enforce their standards if employees are exposed to noise violations. An employee can file a formal complaint. Anyone can file a non-formal complaint. The Harrisburg OSHA office handles the State College area. Their number is (717) 782-3902.

• Haha
Reactions: NJPSU and Ski

The OPs complaint was the ramps. Use the escalator, problem solved.

The only thing I get tired of is the guy shouting "make some noise" for some reason I just find his voice irritating and it seems like the seems voice very year - I can't see where is comes from but i assumed it was one of the cheerleaders.

I am very sorry to hear that Mainer. I went to 2 games last year and the 1st one I had to walk up 40 rows at 77 years old. I walk about a 1000 miles per year and it was still difficult for me but even worse coming down. You don't have great balance when you get past 70. My 2nd game I paid $200 for a seat in a club section and it was worth it if I go back next year I'll get seats in the club section every time and pay whatever it costs.
They should have rails in the middle of each aisle. It would make it much safer.
Going on 50 years for me and I still try to make 3 games a year. Speaker system is lousy. I like to hear the band and the cowbell guy. The parking problems seem to have been solve somewhat. It was frustrating driving 3 hours to a game and being stuck exiting the lot for another 3 hours. Made for a hell of a long day. I guess at some point in time we all hang it up. Best of luck and hope you can still enjoy PSU sports from your home.

The only thing I get tired of is the guy shouting "make some noise" for some reason I just find his voice irritating and it seems like the seems voice very year - I can't see where is comes from but i assumed it was one of the cheerleaders.
It's a recording. Geez.

It's not just football either. Concerts, games, all of it. Bloody hell. Let the kids play. I'm out.
Agreed--I loved going to Penn State and Steelers games in my 20s--it was just a great experience but I have no interest in games, concerts, etc either. NHL games are the only thing I go to at this point and I haven't regretted it for a second. The viewing experience is better at home with family or with friends at someone's house.

Agreed--I loved going to Penn State and Steelers games in my 20s--it was just a great experience but I have no interest in games, concerts, etc either. NHL games are the only thing I go to at this point and I haven't regretted it for a second. The viewing experience is better at home with family or with friends at someone's house.
Must be terrible getting old. I turned 63 in June. I’m going to see the Killers next week. Have been to 5 other concerts so far this year and can’t image not going to watch my beloved Nittany Lions in the Beav or on the road. Oh, looking forward to bball season in the BJC. I guess age is just a number.

New music is absolutely horrible, the second half of your post is why I don’t bother going anymore . It’s not just the genre, but volume and intensity .
It’s akin to an announcer who doesn’t know when to shut up and who’s always saying something stupid.
Well its the need to f'n entertain every second -- even the timeouts with he stupid on field games or runs or whatever. The game is the entertainment let it be that way

One way to address the noise issue is an OSHA complaint. My bet is the noise exceeds permissible OSHA limits. While OSHA had no jurisdiction over the general public, they do enforce their standards if employees are exposed to noise violations. An employee can file a formal complaint. Anyone can file a non-formal complaint. The Harrisburg OSHA office handles the State College area. Their number is (717) 782-3902.
muppets GIF

Reactions: PSU_Nut and NJPSU
Nope its sample from Let me clear my throat-- by dj kool, particularly the 3:40 mark

now if they had any sense the sax and bass line is something that could be used to pump the crowd if you had someone that actually knew what a good hook is and played at the right time

There are literally 1000's of hooks out there and we do same crap week in week out...at least do something different each game

Must be terrible getting old. I turned 63 in June. I’m going to see the Killers next week. Have been to 5 other concerts so far this year and can’t image not going to watch my beloved Nittany Lions in the Beav or on the road. Oh, looking forward to bball season in the BJC. I guess age is just a number.
Everyone is different--there's nothing wrong if enjoying crowds to see live music or for sporting events. It could be a generational thing as well. I'm not even 50 and have been over it since I was in my early 30s. Also, honestly, "the Beav" isn't the best venue to watch a game. The atmosphere can be great but the stadium itself leaves a lot to be desired.

The stadium is horrendous for those with any mobility issues. The ramps going up to the row 40 level are bad enough, but it's even worse going down. There are no railings at all and someone can easily lose their balance and tumble down the ramp. Also there are no railings in the middle of the outside aisle steps, nothing to hold onto going up or down. Add the incessant rap or hip-hop or whatever it is blaring from the south end zone and this has to be the worse experience in college football. No wonder why the south end zone seats are only half full. Have been to at least one game every year since 1972 but this is it.
I was raised in the 60's, to me good music died around the mid 70's. You can have what they call music today.

I agree. The football stadium was designed to pack in as many paying customers as possible so that PSU would make lots of $$. The designers didn't care at all about mobility issues or the comfort of attendees. The design is much like high school stadiums from the 1950s.

The music is ridiculous. It is a football game not a fricken hip hop music fest. There should be no music whatsoever.
The stadium was never "designed" and that is the major problem. It was pieced together with no consistency or planning. The literally said hey we need more seats were can we put them? We need a bathroom lets throw one here. I seen my 7 year design a lego house with better flow and planning. It a joke when people suggest it hold events like NHL, World Cup or NFL events. No professional is going to host a major event in a dump.

Reactions: Thus Spoke Mainer
I had seats in the south upper deck 10-15 yrs ago and remember the volume being way too loud. Like harmful to the hearing of the people up there loud. It was one reason I changed sections. This past Saturday I went up there to see what it was like now and thought it was a lot more reasonable. I seem to remember they did some work on the speakers in the last few years?

Put me down as not a fan of the PA guy. I’d prefer someone just giving the facts and not trying to be a cheerleader.
They replaced the sound system when they replaced the scoreboards back in 2013. One of the designers son was on the team. The group who did it is the best in the country and have done major venues all over the country. Much more knowledgeable then the message board know it alls who say we need more speakers.

With capacity of more than 106,000, Beaver Stadium, home to the Penn State Nittany Lions in University Park, PA, is the second-largest stadium in the Western hemisphere, the fourth-largest in the world. A recent off-season upgrade brought in a new HD sound system that relies on Danley Sound Labs’ Jericho horns to throw sound from the south end zone clear across to the north end zone — and everywhere in between — using a point-source, horn-loaded system. Coverage is ±2 dB across that huge expanse, and eight Danley TH-812 subwoofers support the full-range content with a low end that shakes the stands.

The system hangs from three levels on the new scoreboard, and each side is a mirror image of the other. At the top level, two Danley J4 Jericho horns hit the stands beyond the opposite end zone. Below that level, four J3 Jericho horns cover the far half of the east and west stands. At the lowest level, two J3 Jericho horns cover the near half of the east and west stands, and two SH95-HO speakers provide near fill. Eight TH-812 subwoofers, four on the top and four on the bottom, provide abundant bass.

Lab.gruppen FP-Series amplifiers with NLB-60E controller provide system power as well as network control and monitoring. “Everything worked out very well,” says Clair Solutions Senior Systems Designer Jim Devenney. “Coverage is excellent: ±2 dBA throughout the stadium. The system has good articulation, nice fullness, great dynamics, and impressive vocal clarity.”

I have seats in the north end zone. I had been wondering whether the seat backs in the south end zone might be more appealing. This thread has informed me that I should stay where I’m at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT