ADVERTISEMENT

I'm done with Beav. My streak will stop at 50 years.

The stadium is horrendous for those with any mobility issues. The ramps going up to the row 40 level are bad enough, but it's even worse going down. There are no railings at all and someone can easily lose their balance and tumble down the ramp. Also there are no railings in the middle of the outside aisle steps, nothing to hold onto going up or down.
This is one the biggest reasons to build a new stadium. It simply impossible to renovate and make it remotely accommodating for those with disabilities. The stadium is horrible for those who struggle with mobility. The fact there is only one escalator in a 100k stadium is pathetic.

They replaced the sound system when they replaced the scoreboards back in 2013. One of the designers son was on the team. The group who did it is the best in the country and have done major venues all over the country. Much more knowledgeable then the message board know it alls who say we need more speakers.

With capacity of more than 106,000, Beaver Stadium, home to the Penn State Nittany Lions in University Park, PA, is the second-largest stadium in the Western hemisphere, the fourth-largest in the world. A recent off-season upgrade brought in a new HD sound system that relies on Danley Sound Labs’ Jericho horns to throw sound from the south end zone clear across to the north end zone — and everywhere in between — using a point-source, horn-loaded system. Coverage is ±2 dB across that huge expanse, and eight Danley TH-812 subwoofers support the full-range content with a low end that shakes the stands.

The system hangs from three levels on the new scoreboard, and each side is a mirror image of the other. At the top level, two Danley J4 Jericho horns hit the stands beyond the opposite end zone. Below that level, four J3 Jericho horns cover the far half of the east and west stands. At the lowest level, two J3 Jericho horns cover the near half of the east and west stands, and two SH95-HO speakers provide near fill. Eight TH-812 subwoofers, four on the top and four on the bottom, provide abundant bass.

Lab.gruppen FP-Series amplifiers with NLB-60E controller provide system power as well as network control and monitoring. “Everything worked out very well,” says Clair Solutions Senior Systems Designer Jim Devenney. “Coverage is excellent: ±2 dBA throughout the stadium. The system has good articulation, nice fullness, great dynamics, and impressive vocal clarity.”

Hummm, much more knowledgeable than many people who don’t like it? Interesting , so maybe it’s operating error or copying and pasting doesn’t mean a whole lot.

It seems most people like to complain if you read through this rather long thread. The reality is nearly 107k still show up for a game.

The bottom line is that attendance is falling around the country but PSU is doing great regardless of the issues in design. I, for one, love the stadium even though renovations should take place. Spending a few billion dollars on a new stadium will not help attendance and in fact the disruption during construction may cause attendance to drop.

The sound system upgrade is minor cost and less than or equal to the cost for the same system in a new stadium. Accessibility in a new stadium would not be universal. Replacing the press box side in a similar design but larger would resolve much of the accessibility issues in the stadium by concentrating HC seating on that side of the stadium. Even in a new stadium full accessibility would be concentrated. The increased seating on the press box side would allow a bit wider spacing on the bench seating areas.

Yes Wi-Fi needs to be improved but that is not exclusive to a new stadium. Bathrooms should be added and there is plenty of room inside ghe “erector set”. Concessions need to come into the 21st century, let alone the 20th century. Follow the ordering and delivery system that modern fast food services utilize with online ordering and paying while standing in line and a pick up system at the counter. You would double the output ( and income) of the concessions. Design the menu for fast production.

implement the construction over a couple of years the biggest project being the new press box side which can be accomplished for the most part between two seasons. The rest can be done incrementally without game disruption.

Price tag? $400MM? We shall see but it is not $2-3 billion. Improve the parking and exiting along with adding back the overnight RV parking that was taken away by increasing the size of the RV parking spaces.

The result will be a much improved game day experience, keep the stadium full, (win baby win) while making the second best stadium in the size catagory the best in the country.

Reactions: mcpat and wilbury
I was raised in the 60's, to me good music died around the mid 70's. You can have what they call music today.
Everyone's taste is music differs but I would wager that 99% (or higher) of the stadium each Saturday thinks that good music has been created later than 1975.

• Haha
Reactions: mcpat and wilbury
Sorry to hear that Mainer. Sadly, the stadium was built when nobody cared about accessibility. We tried to remodel but all kinds of stuff happened (JS scandal and COVID). Today's trend is smaller but much nicer stadiums so 110,000-person crappy stadiums are no longer needed. I am not sure where PSU goes with the stadium, to be honest. I'd try to build stuff under the seats and make it multi-purpose. And, as you say, have a few elevators installed for those that require it. (or escalators)
I think it was more like a few influential people were not listening.
A young designer, Pat Moore decided to leave the of design house of legendary Raymond Loewy because she was told in so many words 'we don't design for people like that'.
In something like over the next 20 years, 60+% of the population will have some sort of 'disability'...which includes temporary (sickness, etc) or situational (having a distraction or kids, etc).

Reactions: Obliviax
It seems most people like to complain if you read through this rather long thread. The reality is nearly 107k still show up for a game.

The bottom line is that attendance is falling around the country but PSU is doing great regardless of the issues in design. I, for one, love the stadium even though renovations should take place. Spending a few billion dollars on a new stadium will not help attendance and in fact the disruption during construction may cause attendance to drop.

The sound system upgrade is minor cost and less than or equal to the cost for the same system in a new stadium. Accessibility in a new stadium would not be universal. Replacing the press box side in a similar design but larger would resolve much of the accessibility issues in the stadium by concentrating HC seating on that side of the stadium. Even in a new stadium full accessibility would be concentrated. The increased seating on the press box side would allow a bit wider spacing on the bench seating areas.

Yes Wi-Fi needs to be improved but that is not exclusive to a new stadium. Bathrooms should be added and there is plenty of room inside ghe “erector set”. Concessions need to come into the 21st century, let alone the 20th century. Follow the ordering and delivery system that modern fast food services utilize with online ordering and paying while standing in line and a pick up system at the counter. You would double the output ( and income) of the concessions. Design the menu for fast production.

implement the construction over a couple of years the biggest project being the new press box side which can be accomplished for the most part between two seasons. The rest can be done incrementally without game disruption.

Price tag? $400MM? We shall see but it is not $2-3 billion. Improve the parking and exiting along with adding back the overnight RV parking that was taken away by increasing the size of the RV parking spaces.

The result will be a much improved game day experience, keep the stadium full, (win baby win) while making the second best stadium in the size catagory the best in the country.
You are completely ignoring the complete infrastructure that in many parts of the stadium is steel that is 115 years old. Even the north upper deck is 32 years old and has required remediation due to cracking. Most of the steel is in the 76+ years old.

You are completely ignoring the complete infrastructure that in many parts of the stadium is steel that is 115 years old. Even the north upper deck is 32 years old and has required remediation due to cracking. Most of the steel is in the 76+ years old.
I am not ignoring the age of the steel. It has been reasonably well maintained otherwise they could not use the stadium. While I have not closely inspected the steel it sure isn’t Franklin field of 30 years ago when we played Temple.

I am sure that additional maintenance is required and possibly selective replacement. The most vulnerable portion of the steel structure is at the outer edges much of which has been enclosed. The remainder can be serviced and encased. So the question is do we spend a few billion or a few hundred million.

I don't care what music they play, just turn it down. The volume is ridiculous and it's constant between every play right up to the snap. I like to believe that some people still actually go to watch the game.

It sounds like a lot of you guys should not only stay away from Beaver stadium, but from live sports venues in general. The music is loud, people are packed together in tight spaces, it can be tough to get to your seat, and yes, sometimes the people in front of you will stand up, particularly when they are excited. Some people just age out of going to games. Seems like the kids and most people under the age of 60 are having a blast at the stadium. Maybe they are not the problem.

It seems to be that even if everything was perfect, some people would still b×tch and find something to complain about. They'd be upset if there was nothing to complain about.

Like the fans that don't want to see Franklin succeed so they can say I told you so.

Some people aren't happy unless they're miserable.

Everyone's taste is music differs but I would wager that 99% (or higher) of the stadium each Saturday thinks that good music has been created later than 1975.
Neil Diamond released Sweet Caroline in May 1969.

I’m ambivalent about the song, but nearly everyone sings when it’s on, hmmm!
They sing it because it's a borrowed tradition. I prefer Penn States ORIGINAL traditions. We are not Boston College. It's a Boston thing, not a Pennsylvania thing.

Reactions: Ski
They sing it because it's a borrowed tradition. I prefer Penn States ORIGINAL traditions. We are not Boston College. It's a Boston thing, not a Pennsylvania thing.
Again, if they got rid of it, I wouldn’t care, but nearly everyone enjoys it (for a ding that stinks).

I’m curious what you would consider Penn States original traditions?

Neil Diamond is awesome. He literally has written probably 100 great songs, but Sweet Caroline ain't one of em.
Again, music tastes differ. But I would say all of Neil Diamond is crap and even if it isn't it certainly doesn't belong at a football game.

• Haha
Reactions: Parkerdam555
I say build a new stadium. Seems like the most recent stadiums in the NFL were in the $1.5 Billion range, but that was a few years ago pre-inflation so probably more in the $2.0 Billion range.

Now to pay of a couple billion dollars, going to triple ticket pricing, double the contribution (seat license fee) and double parking pricing. Food pricing will also be doubled. Blue White game will now be a flat $100 per ticket and parking $20.

Yes and that is BY FAR the worst song played in Beaver Stadium.
I can tell by how few people sing along while swaying side to side, arms around the people around them when it’s played. Whole stadium just sits quietly until it’s done being played. And they never continue to sing it after the music stops.

I can tell by how few people sing along while swaying side to side, arms around the people around them when it’s played. Whole stadium just sits quietly until it’s done being played. And they never continue to sing it after the music stops.
You confuse popularity and mob mentality with good music. "Zombie Nation" (which isn't even the name of the song) isn't a particularly good song either, but people chant along just the same.

If Neil Diamond is good enough to get invited to play in The Band's farewell concert, he's good enough for me.

(Plus, my mother loves him!)

I really can't stand it at the games, but I'll take Neil's worst song over anything by Bon Jovi.

If Neil Diamond is good enough to get invited to play in The Band's farewell concert, he's good enough for me.

(Plus, my mother loves him!)

I really can't stand it at the games, but I'll take Neil's worst song over anything by Bon Jovi.
Haha that is a great story. Robbie Robertson invited Neil to play at the last waltz over the strenuous objections of the rest of The Band, particularly Levon Helm.

After Neil played, Bob Dylan was up. Before he went to the mike, he leaned over to Levon and said, “How in the hell am I supposed to follow that?” Levon could not stop laughing.

Personally, I enjoy Neil Diamond. But the last waltz story is a classic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT