ADVERTISEMENT

I'm done with Beav. My streak will stop at 50 years.

Thus Spoke Mainer

Mar 6, 2012
The stadium is horrendous for those with any mobility issues. The ramps going up to the row 40 level are bad enough, but it's even worse going down. There are no railings at all and someone can easily lose their balance and tumble down the ramp. Also there are no railings in the middle of the outside aisle steps, nothing to hold onto going up or down. Add the incessant rap or hip-hop or whatever it is blaring from the south end zone and this has to be the worse experience in college football. No wonder why the south end zone seats are only half full. Have been to at least one game every year since 1972 but this is it.

The stadium is horrendous for those with any mobility issues. The ramps going up to the row 40 level are bad enough, but it's even worse going down. There are no railings at all and someone can easily lose their balance and tumble down the ramp. Also there are no railings in the middle of the outside aisle steps, nothing to hold onto going up or down. Add the incessant rap or hip-hop or whatever it is blaring from the south end zone and this has to be the worse experience in college football. No wonder why the south end zone seats are only half full. Have been to at least one game every year since 1972 but this is it.
While complaining about the type of music might make you sound like a grumpy old man (would it be better if it were country music or Elvis or something?), I hear you about the mobility issues. My father is in his mid-70s and I feel like I can’t take him to a game because of it.

• Sad
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Sorry to hear that Mainer. Sadly, the stadium was built when nobody cared about accessibility. We tried to remodel but all kinds of stuff happened (JS scandal and COVID). Today's trend is smaller but much nicer stadiums so 110,000-person crappy stadiums are no longer needed. I am not sure where PSU goes with the stadium, to be honest. I'd try to build stuff under the seats and make it multi-purpose. And, as you say, have a few elevators installed for those that require it. (or escalators)

While complaining about the type of music might make you sound like a grumpy old man (would it be better if it were country music or Elvis or something?), I hear you about the mobility issues. My father is in his mid-70s and I feel like I can’t take him to a game because of it.
The problem is the design and volume. With all of the sound coming from only the South Endzone, they feel the need to crank it at ridiculous levels, which causes the speakers to distort and sound harsh and horrible.

It’s not so much the volume as the clipping of the speakers. Either dial the volume back a bit, redesign the speaker layout, or get better quality speakers and amplification.

New music is absolutely horrible, the second half of your post is why I don’t bother going anymore . It’s not just the genre, but volume and intensity .
It’s akin to an announcer who doesn’t know when to shut up and who’s always saying something stupid.

This is most “Ok Boomer” thread in the history of threads.

Of course the music isn’t going to geared for people in their 70’s who need railings and wheelchairs to watch the game. I’m Gen X and hardly young anymore and I like rap music. The music is what the students, players, and recruits want to hear. Your time has passed.

Your point about mobility issues is a good one.

However, regarding the music, please keep in mind that the games are really for the students (who are nice enough to let the alumni/fans attend as well). So if they like the game atmosphere (music, etc) that's what matters.

Reactions: bison13 and NJPSU
I agree. The football stadium was designed to pack in as many paying customers as possible so that PSU would make lots of $$. The designers didn't care at all about mobility issues or the comfort of attendees. The design is much like high school stadiums from the 1950s.

The music is ridiculous. It is a football game not a fricken hip hop music fest. There should be no music whatsoever.

Years ago I would volunteer to do first aid at the Arnold Classic , it got you in for free and you saw some pretty cool athletic stuff. Made for a fun trip .
Unless you got competitive cheerleading . The mothers were insane and grade school girls doing stripper moves to that space jam kind of music that changed every 3-4 seconds to a different song was horrible .
Last time I went to the game it reminded me of that . Too much music and too loud. It distracted me from actually watching the game.

Your point about mobility issues is a good one.

However, regarding the music, please keep in mind that the games are really for the students (who are nice enough to let the alumni/fans attend as well). So if they like the game atmosphere (music, etc) that's what matters.
Again, too much , too often. The game is the show , not the hype .

Again, too much , too often. The game is the show , not the hype .
I would argue that in today's entertainment market (i.e. geared towards the students) the entire experience is the show, not just the game. And I think to some extent that's always been true -- otherwise, you wouldn't have bands, cheerleaders, coordinated cheers, halftime shows, etc. People complaining just don't like *this* version of the experience (I'm almost 50 and don't know a lot of the songs they play, but I don't hate them).

I would argue that in today's entertainment market (i.e. geared towards the students) the entire experience is the show, not just the game. And I think to some extent that's always been true -- otherwise, you wouldn't have bands, cheerleaders, coordinated cheers, halftime shows, etc. People complaining just don't like *this* version of the experience (I'm almost 50 and don't know a lot of the songs they play, but I don't hate them).
First, is this how it is at all games ? Osu? Michigan? ND? USC? I’m guessing no. There are issues at psu like others mentioned such as cell service , mobility , and the in game stuff.

First, is this how it is at all games ? Osu? Michigan? ND? USC? I’m guessing no. There are issues at psu like others mentioned such as cell service , mobility , and the in game stuff.
I don't think much can be done about mobility until the stadium overhaul. I will confess that I don't often notice mobility access (beyond obvious wheelchair accommodations) but I've been to a bunch of other stadiums and other than the escalators at Alabama, everywhere I've been involves ramps and crowded staircases.

Regarding cell service, three of your examples (USC, OSU, UM) are in much more populated areas than State College. This means more cell towers and better cell coverage. It's not clear to me why people are on their phone during the game anyway. I get it for meeting up pre-game or post-game, but I've never had a problem with service for that purpose.

Reactions: NJPSU

Send a note to Franklin. He deserves to hear about your experience - you’ve earned that right after so many years of patronage.

• Haha
Reactions: Ezcheez
I don't think much can be done about mobility until the stadium overhaul. I will confess that I don't often notice mobility access (beyond obvious wheelchair accommodations) but I've been to a bunch of other stadiums and other than the escalators at Alabama, everywhere I've been involves ramps and crowded staircases.

Regarding cell service, three of your examples (USC, OSU, UM) are in much more populated areas than State College. This means more cell towers and better cell coverage. It's not clear to me why people are on their phone during the game anyway. I get it for meeting up pre-game or post-game, but I've never had a problem with service for that purpose.
The same reason people have phones. Texting your wife , maybe an emergency , maybe making a reservation .

Of course the music isn’t going to geared for people in their 70’s who need railings and wheelchairs to watch the game. I’m Gen X and hardly young anymore and I like rap music. The music is what the students, players, and recruits want to hear. Your time has passed.
Careful there. Those "Boomers" are the ones who give money.

The same reason people have phones. Texting your wife , maybe an emergency , maybe making a reservation .
Why are you texting your wife or making a reservation DURING the game?

For emergencies, if someone cannot get through to you, there is still (I think) the old school paging system at the stadium ("Will Bourbon n Blues, please report to the security office under the south endzone"). But the larger point is that if people WEREN'T constantly on their phones (live streaming or whatever), there would be plenty of bandwith for emergencies.

Years ago I would volunteer to do first aid at the Arnold Classic , it got you in for free and you saw some pretty cool athletic stuff. Made for a fun trip .
Unless you got competitive cheerleading . The mothers were insane and grade school girls doing stripper moves to that space jam kind of music that changed every 3-4 seconds to a different song was horrible .
Last time I went to the game it reminded me of that . Too much music and too loud. It distracted me from actually watching the game.
I attended the Auburn game and they were not pumping the same tired music during every break in play and their field announcer was not trying to be a cheerleader. It was refreshing.

I attended the Auburn game and they were not pumping the same tired music during every break in play and their field announcer was not trying to be a cheerleader. It was refreshing.
Exactly , imo at psu I think the hype people are making it about them. Look at us and our show. The game is number one and engaging the crowd to pump them up is great.
But you need to know when. It’s like an attentive waiter interrupting your dinner every few minutes asking how things are? I ate at Momma Leonie’s in nyc once. The waiter was amazing, he knew just when to come over and ask you if you need another drink or how things were?
Timing is important in these things .

I'm in my mid fifties and consider myself a music lover. I personally have a hard time finding new music to enjoy. That said, I can tolerate what they play at the stadium for the students and team. I agree with Petch, above. It's more the sound quality than the song selection.

It's interesting that people ARE outspoken about not attending due to the annoying music, but you never hear anybody say they stopped attending because the "show" was boring. With the new MC, the game day experience is becoming over-produced. They feel the need to keep you engaged for every second you're in the stadium.

At the same time, are we the only fanbse that still does the wave? No, not the Iowa thing.

It's interesting that people ARE outspoken about not attending due to the annoying music, but you never hear anybody say they stopped attending because the "show" was boring. With the new MC, the game day experience is becoming over-produced. They feel the need to keep you engaged for every second you're in the stadium.
This, I can handle any kind of music , I don’t have to love it, but it’s that constant , annoying attempt at keeping you engaged.
I always found the game day experience better until recently due to the little things you see that the tv production might miss.
Now it seems they want you going nuts the whole game and with HD and dvrs I can watch at my leisure on a big screen with an incredible picture without dealing with the stadium hassles .

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Why are you texting your wife or making a reservation DURING the game?

For emergencies, if someone cannot get through to you, there is still (I think) the old school paging system at the stadium ("Will Bourbon n Blues, please report to the security office under the south endzone"). But the larger point is that if people WEREN'T constantly on their phones (live streaming or whatever), there would be plenty of bandwith for emergencies.
Several years ago pre-COVID, at a B/W game there was a family emergency in the parking lot right before the game started after I had entered. No phone calls could get through and it wasn’t until right at halftime that a text was delivered. By that time I had to drive straight to the hospital.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Several years ago pre-COVID, at a B/W game there was a family emergency in the parking lot right before the game started after I had entered. No phone calls could get through and it wasn’t until right at halftime that a text was delivered. By that time I had to drive straight to the hospital.
Yep, and that’s the issue.

Did they attempt to have you paged at the stadium? If not, then your family didn't use all of their options.

Sorry to hear that Mainer. Sadly, the stadium was built when nobody cared about accessibility. We tried to remodel but all kinds of stuff happened (JS scandal and COVID). Today's trend is smaller but much nicer stadiums so 110,000-person crappy stadiums are no longer needed. I am not sure where PSU goes with the stadium, to be honest. I'd try to build stuff under the seats and make it multi-purpose. And, as you say, have a few elevators installed for those that require it. (or escalators)
SoFi Stadium cost $5.5 billion. I bet Buffalo's new stadium will cost $2 billion. My point is I don't think a new stadium is feasible.

I bet you could nicely renovate Beaver Stadium for $400 million. That would include structural enhancements, improved concessions, improved bathrooms, and improved accessibility.

Did they attempt to have you paged at the stadium? If not, then your family didn't use all of their options.
Only one person was in the parking lot and the ambulance did not attempt to contact the stadium pagers. Mom (the injured party was alone) and was calling and texting. So no, she didn’t have the ability to go into the stadium and have us paged.

Only one person was in the parking lot and the ambulance did not attempt to contact the stadium pagers. Mom (the injured party was alone) and was calling and texting. So no, she didn’t have the ability to go into the stadium and have us paged.
No one would have had to go into the stadium to have you paged. The stadium could be called by the EMTs or the hospital.

Anyway, it's odd to me that you (and others) thinks the stadium experience:

a) revolves around them
b) should be just as convenient as watching the game at home.

I usually only go to one game per year because it is a pretty huge effort for me to do so (travel time, lodging logistics, less desire as I age to sit in a 33 degree rainstorm). But that doesn't mean I think "State College is broken" it just means I know one game per year is the correct number of games FOR ME to attend. So I adapt my behavior to the conditions, not expect the conditions to adapt to me.

No one would have had to go into the stadium to have you paged. The stadium could be called by the EMTs or the hospital.

Anyway, it's odd to me that you (and others) thinks the stadium experience:

a) revolves around them
b) should be just as convenient as watching the game at home.

I usually only go to one game per year because it is a pretty huge effort for me to do so (travel time, lodging logistics, less desire as I age to sit in a 33 degree rainstorm). But that doesn't mean I think "State College is broken" it just means I know one game per year is the correct number of games FOR ME to attend. So I adapt my behavior to the conditions, not expect the conditions to adapt to me.
These folks paid for admission and many support the program with other dollars. Their opinions matter.

Reactions: 81b&w and KCLion
Exactly , imo at psu I think the hype people are making it about them. Look at us and our show. The game is number one and engaging the crowd to pump them up is great.
But you need to know when. It’s like an attentive waiter interrupting your dinner every few minutes asking how things are? I ate at Momma Leonie’s in nyc once. The waiter was amazing, he knew just when to come over and ask you if you need another drink or how things were?
Timing is important in these things .
This, and if that restaurant is playing music and the speakers suck it just adds to the annoyance. The other posters are correct about the experience in SAU to SHU. I look for other places to sit because you cannot have a conversation with the person next to you.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Check out this link...there are elevators and the club seats escalator: https://gopsusports.com/sports/2021/1/4/ada-information-beaver-stadium

As for music ... I find it a bit annoying as well, but I actually think they've toned down the volume from a few years ago.

I reserve my cranky-old-man-bitching primarily for electronic ticketing (which still sucks, primarily b/c last minute handoffs are nearly impossible).

64380647.jpg

This, and if that restaurant is playing music and the speakers suck it just adds to the annoyance. The other posters are correct about the experience in SAU to SHU. I look for other places to sit because you cannot have a conversation with the person next to you.
I get it.

Other than the music, the stadium hasn't changed, you have changed. Some of the things you want with respect to accessibility are about impossible to do without huge, huge costs involved. Have you thought about changing your ticket location to an easier spot to access? Wouldn't that be the most simple solution.

As for the music, can understand how you don't like the selection and too loud. But reality is that is what anybody in college right now and about through their mid 30's wants to hear.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT