ADVERTISEMENT

If you were asked, "What's the best baseball team in your lifetime?" What would you say?

I'm going with the '76 Reds because of their starting eight, four HOF careers*

Bench - HOF, greatest catcher ever
Perez - HOF
Morgan - HOF, NL MVP 1976, 27 HR, 60 SB and hit .320 OPS 1.020
Concepcion - 9x All-Star, 5x Gold Glover, 21 SB
Rose - All-time hit king, hit .320 and finished 4th in NL MVP Voting in '76
Foster - Finished second in NL MVP voting to Joe Morgan, 5x All-Star
Geronimo - 4x Gold Glover, hit .307 in 1976, 22 SB.
Griffey - Hit .336 and finished eighth in NL MVP balloting in '76

Every starter stole more than 10 stolen bases that year, except Rose who stole nine. As Mel Allen would say, "How about that." The Reds hit .280 as a team that year, .291 minus the pitchers at-bats.

I know the Reds starting pitching doesn't jump out at you like some other great teams, but that starting everyday lineup was fantastic and the Reds bullpen was solid with Eastwick, Borbon and McEnaney. .
In 1976, I had four Phillies season tickets. Section 245, Row 6, Seats 3-6. The best teams I saw that season were the Phillies, 101 wins, and the Reds, 102 wins. In the playoffs, it was no contest. The much more experienced Reds broomed the Phillies. They then broomed the New York Yankees to win it all. They had it all. Hitting, power, speed, DEFENSE, adequate starting pitching, and a real good bullpen. Add in 4 Hall of Fame players, including Rose. Plus, they were defending Champions.
The best team I’ve seen.

Reactions: john4psu

Perez - HOF

Every starter stole more than 10 stolen bases that year, except Rose who stole nine. As Mel Allen would say, "How about that." The Reds hit .280 as a team that year, .291 minus the pitchers at-bats.

I know the Reds starting pitching doesn't jump out at you like some other great teams, but that starting everyday lineup was fantastic and the Reds bullpen was solid with Eastwick, Borbon and McEnaney. .

1927 Yankees - all of these are HOFers.
Earle Combs
Dagger-14-plain.png
CF
Mark Koenig SS
Babe Ruth
Dagger-14-plain.png
RF
Lou Gehrig
Dagger-14-plain.png
1B
Bob Meusel LF
Tony Lazzeri
Dagger-14-plain.png
2B
Joe Dugan 3B
Pat Collins C

1980 Philadelphia Phillies

Phillies.team_.jpg

Team Members: Owner - Ruly Carpenter General Manager - Paul Owens Manager - Dallas Green Pitchers - Warren Brusstar, Marty Bystrom, Steve Carlton, Larry Christenson, Mark Davis, Nino Espinosa, Lerrin LaGrow, Dan Larson, Randy Lerch, Sparky Lyle, Tug McGraw, Scott Munninghoff, Dickie Noles, Ron Reed, Dick Ruthven, Kevin Saucier, Bob Walk Catchers - Bob Boone, Don McCormack, Keith Moreland, Ozzie Virgil Infielders - Luis Aguayo, Ramon Aviles, Larry Bowa, Jay Loviglio, Tim McCarver, Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Manny Trillo, Del Unser, John Vukovich Outfielders - Bob Dernier, Greg Gross, Orlando
Isales, Greg Luzinski, Garry Maddox, Bake McBride, Lonnie Smith, George Vukovich
Definitely the all time best Phillies team.

Perez - HOF

th

Case closed.

Love the photo Cosmos. Cards were my second favorite teams to the Phillies growing up in the late 60s. Read Bob Gibson’s book “From Ghetto to Glory” like 10 times.

1976 Reds were better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT