ADVERTISEMENT

If you were asked, "What's the best baseball team in your lifetime?" What would you say?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
I'm going with the '76 Reds because of their starting eight, four HOF careers*

Bench - HOF, greatest catcher ever
Perez - HOF
Morgan - HOF, NL MVP 1976, 27 HR, 60 SB and hit .320 OPS 1.020
Concepcion - 9x All-Star, 5x Gold Glover, 21 SB
Rose - All-time hit king, hit .320 and finished 4th in NL MVP Voting in '76
Foster - Finished second in NL MVP voting to Joe Morgan, 5x All-Star
Geronimo - 4x Gold Glover, hit .307 in 1976, 22 SB.
Griffey - Hit .336 and finished eighth in NL MVP balloting in '76

Every starter stole more than 10 stolen bases that year, except Rose who stole nine. As Mel Allen would say, "How about that." The Reds hit .280 as a team that year, .291 minus the pitchers at-bats.

I know the Reds starting pitching doesn't jump out at you like some other great teams, but that starting everyday lineup was fantastic and the Reds bullpen was solid with Eastwick, Borbon and McEnaney. .

1998 Yankees, who compiled an overall record (counting playoffs) of 125-50. They won 5 of 7 games on average, an amazing record.

Derek Jeter in his prime, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill, and Tino Martinez with excellent years, great production off the bench.
Great starting pitching with David Wells, David Cone, Hidaki Irabu, and Andy Pettite. Best closer ever with Mariano Rivera.

In the post-season, they swept Texas in the ALDS, got a tough 6-game series with Cleveland in the ALCS, and then swept San Diego in the World Series.

Such an adaptable team with so many pieces and they could figure out a way to win, whether it be timely hitting, power, defense, or pitching.

Perez - HOF

Every starter stole more than 10 stolen bases that year, except Rose who stole nine. As Mel Allen would say, "How about that." The Reds hit .280 as a team that year, .291 minus the pitchers at-bats.

I know the Reds starting pitching doesn't jump out at you like some other great teams, but that starting everyday lineup was fantastic and the Reds bullpen was solid with Eastwick, Borbon and McEnaney. .
Best offense, yes. But the starting pitching was the Achilles Heel.

Perez - HOF

I liked the early ‘70s Athletics- pitching differentiates them from the Reds teams.

Reactions: PSU Soupy

Perez - HOF

Yup, the Big Red Machine and the mic drop...

Perez - HOF

I’m with you. Loved big red machine

Oakland A’s 1972 thru 1974. 3 straight World Series championships.

Reggie Jackson
Phíl Garner
Bert Campenaris
Gene Tennis
Vida Blue
Catfish Hunter
Rollie Fingers
Sal Bando
plus others I can’t remember.

Last edited:
Team is the operative word and that would be the 1960 Pirates. The weren't the best group of individual players, but they were a team in the truest sense and that's why they became World Champions. As Gino Cimoli said after game 7 of the Series, "They broke all the records but we won the game".

Reactions: lionroar88

Perez - HOF

2018 Baltimore Orioles

77-1978 Yankees. 1996 Yankees 1998 Yankees
1977- 1978 because I was a kid. Rivers Jackson pinella nettles dent rivers chambliss Randolph Munson Guidry hunter gossage Lyle. Can still name them today. Billy Martin bob lemon. Wow
1996 team was the team that could just hit singles all day and would beat you. 1998 was amazing.

1998 Yankees
1976 Reds
1974 A's
1984 Tigers

All great teams. But I would take the 1969 or 1970 Orioles over all of them. Their starting rotation was sick. In 1970, Palmer won 20, but Cuellar and McNally both won 24. I realize they had a four man rotation back then, but three 20-game winners?!

Then they had Frank and Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Paul Blair, Don Buford, Mark Belanger, et al. They were really good. Stiil don't know how the Amazins' ever beat 'em in '69.

Last edited:
1956 Yankees. Great starting lineup. Great pitching. Mick won the triple crown.

1960 Pirates
1970 Orioles
1974 A's
1976 Reds
1979 Pirates
1980 Phillies (they just won, the stats were not impressive, their Top SPs had 24, 17, and 11 wins - the three behind them we're as dominant, but they were solid)
1984 Tigers
--- can't believe none of the 90's Braves aren't in here. Their SP was absolutely sick.
1998 Yankees
2008 Phillies

1998 Yankees, who compiled an overall record (counting playoffs) of 125-50. They won 5 of 7 games on average, an amazing record.

Derek Jeter in his prime, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill, and Tino Martinez with excellent years, great production off the bench.
Great starting pitching with David Wells, David Cone, Hidaki Irabu, and Andy Pettite. Best closer ever with Mariano Rivera.

In the post-season, they swept Texas in the ALDS, got a tough 6-game series with Cleveland in the ALCS, and then swept San Diego in the World Series.

Such an adaptable team with so many pieces and they could figure out a way to win, whether it be timely hitting, power, defense, or pitching.
It was el Duque not Irabu. I think this was an all around great team. I was lucky enough to go to the two World Series games at Yankee Stadium. That place was so loud.

The answer is either 75-76 Reds or the 98-99 Yankees. Any other answers are going to be biased due to personal connection or nostalgia (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Reactions: razpsu
1998 Yankees
1976 Reds
1974 A's
1984 Tigers

All great teams. But I would take the 1969 or 1970 Orioles over all of them. Their starting rotation was sick. In 1970, Palmer won 20, but Cuellar and McNally both won 24. I realize they had a four man rotation back then, but three 20-game winners?!

Then they had Frank and Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Paul Blair, Don Buford, Mark Belanger, et al. They were really good. Stiil don't know how the Amazins' ever beat 'em in '69.

The '71 Orioles had FOUR 20-game winners and Frank & Brooks, Blair, Powell, Buford, Belanger, et al., and they couldn't stop The Great One.

1995 Braves, Best staff I have seen in my life with Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, and Avery.

1980 Philadelphia Phillies

Phillies.team_.jpg

Team Members: Owner - Ruly Carpenter General Manager - Paul Owens Manager - Dallas Green Pitchers - Warren Brusstar, Marty Bystrom, Steve Carlton, Larry Christenson, Mark Davis, Nino Espinosa, Lerrin LaGrow, Dan Larson, Randy Lerch, Sparky Lyle, Tug McGraw, Scott Munninghoff, Dickie Noles, Ron Reed, Dick Ruthven, Kevin Saucier, Bob Walk Catchers - Bob Boone, Don McCormack, Keith Moreland, Ozzie Virgil Infielders - Luis Aguayo, Ramon Aviles, Larry Bowa, Jay Loviglio, Tim McCarver, Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Manny Trillo, Del Unser, John Vukovich Outfielders - Bob Dernier, Greg Gross, Orlando
Isales, Greg Luzinski, Garry Maddox, Bake McBride, Lonnie Smith, George Vukovich

Reactions: psu ironman
ADVERTISEMENT