ADVERTISEMENT

If we win the toss, take the ball or defer?

sss

Jun 5, 2001
I know what we predict here doesn't matter. All in fun as we put on our coaching hats, because we always have the right answers (after the plays that didn't work).

I think field position in this game is going to be big. We have had great field position to start many of our offensive drives because of good punting and kick coverage. So why not defer, hoping we stop them on D, and start our offense with good field position?

I assume Michigan would defer if they win the toss for the same reasons.

The tendency has been to get the offense on the field early to get Saquan involved as quickly as possible, and I think that would hold true on Saturday.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I agree. I think that PSU had opted to go on offense when winning the toss, but this is a game where field position feels critical. Starting on D with hopefully a 3-and-out and good starting field position would be a great way to start the first offensive drive.

I would rather that the team has the choice to begin the 2nd half but my preferences won't be considered. Go figure.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Defense, unless we know for sure SB will return opening kickoff 100 yards for at TD. ;)

I would like to see them defer- maybe that would calm Trace down to sit and watch the defense do its thing initially?

Always go on D first ;)

If we would have done that in the BigTen Championship game...woulda been bit different at the beginning...

Agree with the sentiment that I always want the ball first to start the 3rd quarter and AFTER necessary halftime adjustments have been made. Also (as posted) can give you 2 consecutive possessions at times, which helps.

When you clearly outmatch your opponent, I don't mind getting the O out to start the game, but when the competition improves, defer, defer, defer.

I know what we predict here doesn't matter. All in fun as we put on our coaching hats, because we always have the right answers (after the plays that didn't work).

I think field position in this game is going to be big. We have had great field position to start many of our offensive drives because of good punting and kick coverage. So why not defer, hoping we stop them on D, and start our offense with good field position?

I assume Michigan would defer if they win the toss for the same reasons.
Defer. Go on D and either turn them over or get a 3 and out immediately.

It seems to me that Penn State would be best suited to defer. Start the game with UM’s (very) bad offense on its own side the field with 100k+ hyped up fans raining noise down on them.

It seems to me that Penn State would be best suited to defer. Start the game with UM’s (very) bad offense on its own side the field with 100k+ hyped up fans raining noise down on them.
Yeah Anison, I think you're correct. I'd play it that way too. And conversely, if Michigan wins the toss, I'm pretty sure they'll defer as well.

Reactions: Anison
Yeah Anison, I think you're correct. I'd play it that way too. And conversely, if Michigan wins the toss, I'm pretty sure they'll defer as well.
Yep. Michigan would be foolish to put the ball in the hands of its offense first. If we win the toss, kick the ball to Penn State hoping our defense can limit the first drive and get decent field position for the offense. But in any event that Michigan offense isn’t marching on any sustained drives against you.

I am thinking defer. scUM defense is supposed to be good but so is our defense. This could be a low scoring defensive battle where field position is key. Defer and go on D first. Will get the white out crowd and loud right from the get go.

Put the defense on the field and let them rattle UM's already shaky offense. Set the tone for the night with a 3 and out and let that offense keep questioning and second guessing themselves with that noise.

After the 3 and out, PSU will get great field position. Play action on the first play with a post by JJ and wheel route by Barkley out of the back field. Calling it now.

Defer. I don't think UM's offense is all that powerful so get the ball to start the second half. However, I think we've lost a lot of the coin flips this year so it likely won't be our choice anyhow.

And that would be a penalty if you can remember when. Who can forget Michigan's first visit to Happy valley in 1993 when the Big Ten refs set the tone for our welcome in to the Big Ten for football! I can still see Todd Collins looking at the refs and throwing up his hands, claiming he couldn't hear. It still feels like we've always been on the outside looking in, but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Would there be a way to ensure that the Michigan O is driving towards the student section in the fourth quarter? Gotta admit, I don't know the specifics of the coin toss results well enough to answer that.

Hopefully we have the game well in hand by then, but if it's close I'd like to see Michigan have to deal with the extra noise in the fourth.

Would there be a way to ensure that the Michigan O is driving towards the student section in the fourth quarter? Gotta admit, I don't know the specifics of the coin toss results well enough to answer that.

Hopefully we have the game well in hand by then, but if it's close I'd like to see Michigan have to deal with the extra noise in the fourth.
The only way is if Michigan wins the toss and defers. They choose to receive 2nd half kickoff and we would then pick which end of the field to defend.

Michigan's Offense has been struggling alot...defer...get a 3 and out then go on offense and still get the first possession of the 2nd half

if you take the ball, wouldnt you have the same chance to score twice in a row?
The only way you can have two consecutive possessions without a turnover is to defer. Last possession of the first half and first possession in the second half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT