ADVERTISEMENT

IF we win out, very well might be playing Alabama or Oklahoma for the NC

deja vu all over again!
I hate this non sensible talk concerning involvement in the CFP. We still have positions over the spectrum of our team that are still young. Playoff speculations are media produced. Let the youngsters play and corrections made from week to week. THEN, WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE. I'm an engineer, I don't care too much for speculations. You have too look at the material you have available to work with, and "create" from there.

I hate this non sensible talk concerning involvement in the CFP. We still have positions over the spectrum of our team that are still young. Playoff speculations are media produced. Let the youngsters play and corrections made from week to week. THEN, WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE. I'm an engineer, I don't care too much for speculations. You have too look at the material you have available to work with, and "create" from there.
Fair enough, but as a PSU history buff, gotta say that seeing us listed just behind Alabama & Oklahoma; teams we played in #1 vs #2 NC Games after '78 & '85 seasons makes me smile a bit... considering where we were just two years ago

I hate this non sensible talk concerning involvement in the CFP. We still have positions over the spectrum of our team that are still young. Playoff speculations are media produced. Let the youngsters play and corrections made from week to week. THEN, WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE. I'm an engineer, I don't care too much for speculations. You havte too look at the material you have available to work with, and "create" from there.
Expectations here, both for the Pitt game and the season, have been unrealistic. The defense is not of championship caliber and the offense showed yesterday it can be contained. We could win them all, but we could just as easily finish 9-3.

Yes, Step, I completely agree (except for the knucklehead engineer part:)). How'd all that talk about a 60-0 stomping of Pitt work out? Let them play the bloody games one at a time; exist in the moment.

Expectations here, both for the Pitt game and the season, have been unrealistic. The defense is not of championship caliber and the offense showed yesterday it can be contained. We could win them all, but we could just as easily finish 9-3.
Agreed. Although I would say that we have at least as good a shot as I think we seemed to at this point in 1978 (having only beaten Temple 10-7 and Rutgers 26-10 with highly ranked Ohio State looming), 1982 (with a killer schedule ahead of us), and 1985 (we barely beat teams like Temple, East Carolina & Rutgers)...

As they say, THAT'S WHY WE PLAY THE GAMES

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
Joe dreamed of one win at a time and a reporter asking him about a possible game three months away would've gotten his/her ass chewed out:mad::).
Joe also used to talk about making a run for the National Championship all the time. But, my comment was more reflecting on the past since Bama & OSU are two teams with whom we have particular NC Game history.

Joe also used to talk about making a run for the National Championship all the time. But, my comment was more reflecting on the past since Bama & OSU are two teams with whom we have particular NC Game history.
A comment which would be better suited for December.:)

Reactions: psu skp
Was that the Pitt QB?:confused:

The name? Brown, Max Brown.
1129299607_8477.jpg

If we, or any team, "wins out" they will be MNC!!
Not exactly true.... It's not likely that any undefeated P5 conference winner would get left out of the playoffs, but what if each conference had an undefeated conference champion? That would be 5 undefeated teams and only 4 playoff slots. Also, what if a group of 5 team goes undefeated and there are plenty of deserving P5 teams... I would guess that the group of 5 team doesn't get invited to the playoffs.

That being said, If Penn State does manage to win out somehow, I would be shocked if they don't get invited to the playoffs. They started the season ranked in the top 10, and would have beaten tOSU, Michigan, MSU, MD, and a couple of very good teams from the Big Ten West division.

Not exactly true.... It's not likely that any undefeated P5 conference winner would get left out of the playoffs, but what if each conference had an undefeated conference champion? That would be 5 undefeated teams and only 4 playoff slots. Also, what if a group of 5 team goes undefeated and there are plenty of deserving P5 teams... I would guess that the group of 5 team doesn't get invited to the playoffs.

That being said, If Penn State does manage to win out somehow, I would be shocked if they don't get invited to the playoffs. They started the season ranked in the top 10, and would have beaten tOSU, Michigan, MSU, MD, and a couple of very good teams from the Big Ten West division.

Dan, I don't see the possibility of a team going undefeated (and therefore winning all their conference games) and getting left out of the playoffs. Even in the B12, if a team is undefeated they will make the playoff. Same in the P10, ACC, SEC and B10..... Any team that is undefeated in the P10 would have to have beaten the next best team, as well as everyone else in their conference, as they would also have had to win their conference championship game. And with the parity since the 85 scholarship limit was imposed, has there ever been an undefeated team in each P5 conference? No. And now especially with the conference championship, won't happen.

When it happens otherwise, let me know.

Dan, I don't see the possibility of a team going undefeated (and therefore winning all their conference games) and getting left out of the playoffs. Even in the B12, if a team is undefeated they will make the playoff. Same in the P10, ACC, SEC and B10..... Any team that is undefeated in the P10 would have to have beaten the next best team, as well as everyone else in their conference, as they would also have had to win their conference championship game. And with the parity since the 85 scholarship limit was imposed, has there ever been an undefeated team in each P5 conference? No. And now especially with the conference championship, won't happen.

When it happens otherwise, let me know.
I think you should get a dictionary and look up the meaning of possible and probable... :)

For example:
Clemson is undefeated and doesn't play Alabama, Penn State, Oklahoma, or USC
Alabama is undefeated and doesn't play Clemson, Penn State, Oklahoma, or USC
Penn State is undefeated and doesn't play Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, or USC
Oklahoma is undefeated and doesn't play Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, or USC
USC is undefeated and doesn't play Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, or Oklahoma

That is just one of the possible scenarios where a P5 team could go undefeated and get left out of the playoffs.

I'm not saying that it's likely, but it is POSSIBLE.

I think you should get a dictionary and look up the meaning of possible and probable... :)

For example:

That is just one of the possible scenarios where a P5 team could go undefeated and get left out of the playoffs.

Thank good gravy! I've been praying for this day to come!

For example:

Instead of a dictionary, try a college football results history. Let me know when you find a year since the 85 scholarship rule was enacted that there were 5 Power 5 teams undefeated. And it's even less likely now that conferences are playing championship games.

It's possible for the moon to fall into the Atlantic ocean as well.

When it happens let me know.

Last edited:
deja vu all over again!
Wouldn't be surprised if all of the top 5 lose this year. If PSU is undefeated after OSU I'll start to consider the possibility. But PSU didn't look like a playoff team to me last Saturday. Good chance they improve, but you never know.

Wouldn't be surprised if all of the top 5 lose this year. If PSU is undefeated after OSU I'll start to consider the possibility. But PSU didn't look like a playoff team to me last Saturday. Good chance they improve, but you never know.

This^^. It's too early to be too focused on the playoffs. You never know what will happen but after the Ohio St game things will be more in perspective at PSU and nationally.

The Penn St Defense was far short of a playoff team last week IMO. It was an issue last year and appears to still be an issue this year as well. There needs to be serious improvement before Ohio St and Michigan weeks are here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT