ADVERTISEMENT

If O$U and PSU are now both running the same Offense and Defense... Who wins?

PeetzPoolBoy

Sep 24, 2013
It appears to me, based on viewing the “Scar & Ghey” game, that OSU is attempting to woefully “mimic” a JoeMo offense.

While both Joes might be gone from PSU, their individual and combined “influences” on college football cannot be mistaken. “Imitation” is not only is the most sincerest form of of “flattery”, it definitely represents the most telling sign of “institutional envy”.

Thank you, OSU, for signaling that PSU is now your ......“Big Brother”.

Last edited:
PSU should beat OSU by 10 this year at home. There two QB's and Webber looked really good though.

It appears to me, based on viewing the “Scar & Ghey” game, that OSU is attempting to woefully “mimic” a JoeMo offense.

While both Joes might be gone from PSU, their individual and combined “influences” on college football cannot be mistaken. “Imitation” is not only is the most sincerest form of of “flattery”, it definitely represents the most telling sign of “institutional envy”.

You jelly?

The arrogance on this board over OSU football is mind boggling sometimes

Wait so OSU didnt run a read option before psu and their multi nc winning head coach didnt run it before a division 2 oc came to psu?

Ldn

Reactions: tbux
Meyer has always run an offense based on the skill set of his QB. If Haskins is the QB, then he won’t run the offense he ran with Barrett and Miller. Then again, OSU has never actually beat PSU in a football game, so does it really matter?

A lot of trash talk from the fan base of the team that has won exactly 1 of the 6 previous games. 4 -12 in the previous 16 games.

A lot of trash talk from the fan base of the team that has won exactly 1 of the 6 previous games. 4 -12 in the previous 16 games.

Do you really see a lot of trash talk here? I only see a little.

Perhaps in your Podunk town that's considered a lot.

LdN

What you saw was the same offense he's been running forever. Coach Meyer has been running some version of the spread option offense since his first head coaching job at Bowling Green in 2002. He is acknowledged by most informed observers as one of the many innovators in the evolution of the scheme. Coach was running and fine-tuning the scheme well before JoeMo came along the scene.....it is quite likely and almost a certainty that JoeMo employed several of the concepts of Meyer's version of the spread option.

While obviously heavily dependent on the skill set of his QB, his "offense" doesn't change with the QB, but will focus on different elements that place more or less emphasis based upon any one QB's particular strengths. In 2014, when first Braxton Miller went down, then JT in the last regular season game of the year, Cardale Jones - with completely different strengths than either of the two prior - ran the same "offense" but the focus was on different play sets within the scheme that Cardale could execute with greater success. It seemed to have worked out well for us.

Reactions: PS4814

And your fans rushed the field after beating such a non worthy team.. we're back on a level playing field. Should be fun the next few years. Michigan's your rival and we're your most important game.

Team with the fewer turnovers, Going to be a very even game with a huge home field advantage that helps our defense. Can’t wait.

What you saw was the same offense he's been running forever. Coach Meyer has been running some version of the spread option offense since his first head coaching job at Bowling Green in 2002. He is acknowledged by most informed observers as one of the many innovators in the evolution of the scheme. Coach was running and fine-tuning the scheme well before JoeMo came along the scene.....it is quite likely and almost a certainty that JoeMo employed several of the concepts of Meyer's version of the spread option.

While obviously heavily dependent on the skill set of his QB, his "offense" doesn't change with the QB, but will focus on different elements that place more or less emphasis based upon any one QB's particular strengths. In 2014, when first Braxton Miller went down, then JT in the last regular season game of the year, Cardale Jones - with completely different strengths than either of the two prior - ran the same "offense" but the focus was on different play sets within the scheme that Cardale could execute with greater success. It seemed to have worked out well for us.

I pretty much agree with what you said. I do think JoeMo emphasizes RPO's a bit more than Meyer but, that's probably nit picking.

Reactions: tbux

Yeah, OSU has been better than PSU. Also better than most of the rest of the Big Ten.

But, I think we are slowly starting to catch up, and I also think we have a tremendous upside. We Trust the Process.

Wondered what the OP was talking about then I realized who the OP was. If anything we've mimicked OSU in terms of the read option with additional RPO built in as SR108 said.

Instead of comparing to OSU let's just all be thankful that we're long removed from the John Donovan days.

He does make a good point. We do owe a lot of payback to them.

Well PSU is set at QB position for awhile. Going to be hard to beat this team with kind of QBs Franklin keeps bringing in.

While obviously heavily dependent on the skill set of his QB,
Tbux, the Toledo news had the story about the three Q's and that (apologies going forward on the name) Bowerman, Bowers (?) will likely transfer if not #1 or backup. Curious what that leaves the team depth at Q and number of scholarship Q's on the team.

Thanks,

OL

Tbux, the Toledo news had the story about the three Q's and that (apologies going forward on the name) Bowerman, Bowers (?) will likely transfer if not #1 or backup. Curious what that leaves the team depth at Q and number of scholarship Q's on the team.

Thanks,

OL

There is some speculation that if Joe Burrow does not win the job, he will transfer. He is set to graduate in May so he would qualify as a grad transfer. Great kid, smart, son of a coach, been in the system several years, had the backup locked up last year before breaking his hand in practice. That enabled Haskins - likely starter - to jump ahead and make a name for himself by leading us from behind to win against the stripeheads. It's really close between Burrow and Haskins - Burrow more of a dual threat, JT Barrett type, Haskins more of a thrower - Cardale Jones like, tho not without the ability to escape the pocket. I think either can get the job done esp with virtually every 2 deep skill position player returning.

If he transfers, that leaves us with 3 scholarship QB's Dwayne Haskins - RS Soph, Tate Martell - RS - FR and Matthew Baldwin, true FR.

Reactions: OhioLion
Tbux, the Toledo news had the story about the three Q's and that (apologies going forward on the name) Bowerman, Bowers (?) will likely transfer

OL Both Burrow and Haskins are really good passers with likely NFL careers ahead of them. Two years ago in mop-up duties, Burrow completed 75% of his passes. It looked like magic as to how much better the offense moved when the quarterback hit receiver's in stride. (JT Barrett could pretty much only be relied on to hit receivers running curls. Last year's PSU game was an outlier.)

Of course, Haskins won the Michigan game last year when Barrett was injured. It is a really bad situation for the 2 qbs, but I would give Haskins the nod based upon his performance in a really big game. If Burrow is not named starter, I think he should look after himself and transfer. (he is free to transfer because he will have graduated by the spring) There will be a lot of interest in him if he does go.

On the other hand, if I was Haskins and didn't win the job, I would also transfer. He is too good to sit on the bench and needs reps for what is probably going to be an NFL career.

I believe that OSU had a better chance of winning a national championship last year if either Haskins or Burrow had started because both can throw the long ball, which Barrett couldn't do. Barrett was a safer choice for most games, but Burrow or Haskins would give OSU a better chance of winning against the really top teams like Alabama or Georgia.

OL Both Burrow and Haskins are really good passers with likely NFL careers ahead of them. Two years ago in mop-up duties, Burrow completed 75% of his passes. It looked like magic as to how much better the offense moved when the quarterback hit receiver's in stride. (JT Barrett could pretty much only be relied on to hit receivers running curls. Last year's PSU game was an outlier.)

Of course, Haskins won the Michigan game last year when Barrett was injured. It is a really bad situation for the 2 qbs, but I would give Haskins the nod based upon his performance in a really big game. If Burrow is not named starter, I think he should look after himself and transfer. (he is free to transfer because he will have graduated by the spring) There will be a lot of interest in him if he does go.

On the other hand, if I was Haskins and didn't win the job, I would also transfer. He is too good to sit on the bench and needs reps for what is probably going to be an NFL career.

I believe that OSU had a better chance of winning a national championship last year if either Haskins or Burrow had started because both can throw the long ball, which Barrett couldn't do. Barrett was a safer choice for most games, but Burrow or Haskins would give OSU a better chance of winning against the really top teams like Alabama or Georgia.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the QB's UM has been recruiting since they all have been great athletes who can run the RPO with the best of them. Barrett's QB play last year against us in the 4th quarter was extremely impressive, with some deep throws right on their mark.

I think with Rahne calling the offense, we will see less and less of the RPO with a superior RB "stopped at the LOS" waiting for the handoff, all the while the OSU DT's and LB's have penetrated our OL for a no gain. 1st down from the 7YL last year against the Bucks and we run 3 RPO for no gain. With the WR"S we had in the game, and not even try one pass was pathetic.

Not exactly the choice of words I used in my living room in Archbold!

You guys were really unlucky. It was by far his best passing game. He followed it with his worst against Iowa. If he had played against PSU the way he played against Iowa, PSU would have won 55-7.

And to be honest, that 4-12 is more like 3-12. We won the 2011 game, but that was a battle between 2 thoroughly mediocre teams that both had various "issues" at the time. The games that really "count" are those where at least one of us is above average.

I said this last fall --- last year was a HUGE missed opportunity for us in terms of getting respect from the Buckeye fanbase (if respect from the OSU fanbase is something that we necessarily want - it does seem important to many of us in terms of them viewing us as a "rival" and "quasi-equal".)

If you win 2 games in a row against somebody, they can't really say "oh, that one win they got was random, it was a one-off, we still win the vast majority of the time." 2 games in a row has the potential to be the start of a "trend." Winning 2 games in a row can sort of force them to start thinking "hmmm, maybe these guys may reach the level we're aleady at."

I saw this was U-M/MSU. Michigan fans didn't take MSU football seriously --- AT ALL --- for the entirety of the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. That despite MSU having some very good teams in that era. MSU's wins over U-M were viewed as "one-offs" and "random occurrences with explanations that wouldn't carry over to the longer term." For example: the 1990 loss was "only because Desmond was tripped." The 1999 loss was "only because that dummy Lloyd Carr played Drew Henson instead of Tom Brady most of the 1st half." The 2001 loss was "only because of the MSU timekeeper." Et cetera.

There's not many U-M fans who think that way any more, of course. MSU going 8-2 over the last 10 years has completely changed the narrative. U-M fans don't like it, but MSU deserves consideration of being at least their equal.

Unfortunately, we still do not have back-to-back wins against OSU during the B1G era. The Buckeye fanbase still has "superiority" over us. Our trash-talk is kind of dumb.

Last edited:
Which Q was in the state championship game recently and is from southern Ohio? I

Pretty sure you are talking about Burrow who was from Athens. He had ridiculous numbers in HS, but wasn't that highly rated by the rating services. (I think a low 4 star)

OSU still has more talent and it’s usually not the X’s and O’s its the Jimmys and Joes.

And your fans rushed the field after beating such a non worthy team.. we're back on a level playing field. Should be fun the next few years. Michigan's your rival and we're your most important game.

I can not disagree with a word that you said. You hit the nail on the head. scUM will always be OSU's rival but at least for now PSU is clearly the biggest threat to OSU in the B10

And to be honest, that 4-12 is more like 3-12. We won the 2011 game, but that was a battle between 2 thoroughly mediocre teams that both had various "issues" at the time. The games that really "count" are those where at least one of us is above average.

I said this last fall --- last year was a HUGE missed opportunity for us in terms of getting respect from the Buckeye fanbase (if respect from the OSU fanbase is something that we necessarily want - it does seem important to many of us in terms of them viewing us as a "rival" and "quasi-equal".)

If you win 2 games in a row against somebody, they can't really say "oh, that one win they got was random, it was a one-off, we still win the vast majority of the time." 2 games in a row has the potential to be the start of a "trend." Winning 2 games in a row can sort of force them to start thinking "hmmm, maybe these guys may reach the level we're aleady at."

I saw this was U-M/MSU. Michigan fans didn't take MSU football seriously --- AT ALL --- for the entirety of the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. That despite MSU having some very good teams in that era. MSU's wins over U-M were viewed as "one-offs" and "random occurrences with explanations that wouldn't carry over to the longer term." For example: the 1990 loss was "only because Desmond was tripped." The 1999 loss was "only because that dummy Lloyd Carr played Drew Henson instead of Tom Brady most of the 1st half." The 2001 loss was "only because of the MSU timekeeper." Et cetera.

There's not many U-M fans who think that way any more, of course. MSU going 8-2 over the last 10 years has completely changed the narrative. U-M fans don't like it, but MSU deserves consideration of being at least their equal.

Unfortunately, we still do not have back-to-back wins against OSU during the B1G era. The Buckeye fanbase still has "superiority" over us. Our trash-talk is kind of dumb.

And to be fair that 4-12 could just as easily been 6-10 as any objective fan of either team knows that the officials played a big part in the 2003 and 2014 games.

You are right about 2011. That was the Fickle year and many OSU fans believe that that year shouldn't count. LOL

Last edited:
And to be fair that 4-12 could just as easily been 6-10 as any objective fan of either team knows that the officials played a big part in the 2003 and 2014 games.

You are right about 2011. That was the Fickle year and many OSU fans believe that that year shouldn't count. LOL

I think you're a Buckeye fan --- apologies if not. But it's 4-12 in my book. 2003 was the game with the more egregious officiating mistakes in OSU's favor, but I do think that in the big picture OSU also deserved both of those victories.

As a PSU fan, I'd also like to erase 2011 from the history books. Nope, nothing --- NOTHING AT ALL! --- happened as regards PSU football in that year. Most boring year ever. :)

Big Brother..... I'm getting those superstitious shakes again.

I fear that term.... or maybe it's just the hubris. Whatever it is, it's THAT plus the look in D'Antonio's eyes [after Hart's comment] when he just kept saying "pride comes before the fall."

PSU has been doing great and still trending up in my book. Let's knock OSU off as top dog in the B1G before we go here.... A nice thrashing of the Buckeyes in 2018 may ease my comfort...

I think you're a Buckeye fan --- apologies if not. But it's 4-12 in my book. 2003 was the game with the more egregious officiating mistakes in OSU's favor, but I do think that in the big picture OSU also deserved both of those victories.

As a PSU fan, I'd also like to erase 2011 from the history books. Nope, nothing --- NOTHING AT ALL! --- happened as regards PSU football in that year. Most boring year ever. :)

You are correct. i am a Buckeye fan but I do have much respect for the PSU program and I do try to be respectful on the PSU board

Big Brother..... I'm getting those superstitious shakes again.

I fear that term.... or maybe it's just the hubris. Whatever it is, it's THAT plus the look in D'Antonio's eyes [after Hart's comment] when he just kept saying "pride comes before the fall."

PSU has been doing great and still trending up in my book. Let's knock OSU off as top dog in the B1G before we go here.... A nice thrashing of the Buckeyes in 2018 may ease my comfort...
PSU pretty much "owns" O$U in every sport, but seeing as how our athletes aren't "paid" we're not quite on the same level playing field when it comes to football.

How much will it bother you BuckNuts when PSU regularly beats O$U with a roster of football players who haven't been given "O$U handshakes"?

How else do you explain Tyrelle Pryor and his "white Corvette"?

P.S. Cael says hola :)

Last edited:
as how our athletes aren't "paid" we're not quite on the same level playing field when it comes to football

This post is substantially below the standard of what you post on the politics board.

Having gone to OSU law school, I have had some interactions with OSU athletics. First, when I was in law school (a good while back), the main tutor for the football team was a law student. If something funny was going on, it would have leaked out. It didn't. Second, a friend of mine taught a history class as a grad student. He flunked a scholarship basketball player (highly recruited, but honestly not doing that well at the time.), and he heard absolutely nothing from anyone.

Finally, the tattoogate scandal of 2010 showed that OSU football players were not on the take. They were doing so poorly financially that some of them exchanged the gold pants they won for beating Michigan (highly respected and prized by most people affiliated with OSU but sometimes not by 19-year-olds) for frigging tattoos. (Also, their jerseys and championship rings) Even though the items were their OWN property and were sold (they did not receive free services), they got penalized because they sold them before they graduated. Although, OSU, and particularly Tressel, broke the rules and Tressel appropriately lost his job, the underlying basis of the scandal was Mickey Mouse.

Of course, Tressel knew he was playing ineligible players, so he told a major lie and deserved what he got.

But the bigger picture is that if they were really receiving improper benefits they wouldn't have had to sell their gold pants and championship rings for frigging tattoos.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT