ADVERTISEMENT

I VOTED AGAINST THE $49 MILLION LASCH EXPANSION— THIS IS THE EXPLANATION FOR MY VOTE

lubrano

Sep 28, 2005
These are the comments I made prior to my decision to vote AGAINST the proposed $49 million Lasch Building renovations.

My fellow Trustees, I stand opposed to this resolution at this time. My reasons are twofold. The first financial while the second is more philosophical.

As Pennsylvania's only land grant university, Penn State has a broad mission of teaching, research, and public service. Our duty as university fiduciaries is, among other responsibilities, to ensure the affordable attainment of a PSU education.

No question but that athletics serves as the window through which our great University is seen by many. No doubt football occupies the largest pane. It is the engine that allows all 31 varsity sports to run.

However, as all of you know, we have a myriad of headwinds and uncertainties facing us over the next year.

First, and primarily, we have the challenge of the pandemic. Last year we lost ~$38 million in football ticket revenues not to mention the loss of gameday revenues. We filled some of that gap by allowing season ticket holders to roll their 2020 ticket purchases into 2021. Consequently, we have a large issue facing us this fall. How do we replace those revenues this year?

In addition, we seemingly lost 10% of our season ticketholder base by virtue of the way we handled the refund of 2020 season ticket purchases.

Finally, what happens if we can’t play football this fall in front of a a capacity crowd in Beaver Stadium?

Second, we don’t yet know the impact of recent image and likeness legislation on colleges and universities. What if the result of this is a drag on athletics revenues?

Finally, we seem to be deviating from our policy of philanthropic commitments in writing in hand before commencing. Instead, we intend to utilize $48.3 million of borrowings from a February 4, 2020 taxable bond offering. Moreover, does this approach not create a gender equity problem for us given our direction to the Women’s Field Hockey team?

Women’s Field Hockey would like to spend $9 million on a new venue. To date, they have received $7 million in committed gifts yet they have been told they cannot break ground without the full $9 million in hand.

Additionally, the Student Food Pantry has been told that they must raise the $250,000 required for expansion that is so desperately needed. In a time when we have homeless students living in the HUB and showering in Rec Hall, what message are we sending with this decision?

With respect to my philosophical concerns, I have heard some of you as well as University leadership refer to an arms race as it pertains to football. Let me suggest that such a race is unwinnable and frankly, in my opinion, a fools errand.

Let me remind all of you that Penn State, between 2014-2018, ranked 7th in football related expenditures, averaging almost $41 million. In 2018, the spend in football was $48 million.

Alabama was #1 at almost $60.5 million, Florida State followed at almost $50 million. Ohio State was 4th at almost $43 million while Michigan was 5th at ~$41 million. Clemson followed at just under $40 million.

Interesting to note that Notre Dame (~$39.5 million), Georgia (~$39 million) and Oklahoma (~$37 million) all spent less on football than us yet all have reached the final four.

Parenthetically, Alabama is the 143rd ranked school in the most recent US News and World Report whereas Clemson ranks 73rd.

A very wise man many of us knew liked to quote a line from the poet Robert Browning.

“Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?”

In my opinion, we would be wise to delay this project.

These are the comments I made prior to my decision to vote AGAINST the proposed $49 million Lasch Building renovations.

My fellow Trustees, I stand opposed to this resolution at this time. My reasons are twofold. The first financial while the second is more philosophical.

As Pennsylvania's only land grant university, Penn State has a broad mission of teaching, research, and public service. Our duty as university fiduciaries is, among other responsibilities, to ensure the affordable attainment of a PSU education.

No question but that athletics serves as the window through which our great University is seen by many. No doubt football occupies the largest pane. It is the engine that allows all 31 varsity sports to run.

However, as all of you know, we have a myriad of headwinds and uncertainties facing us over the next year.

First, and primarily, we have the challenge of the pandemic. Last year we lost ~$38 million in football ticket revenues not to mention the loss of gameday revenues. We filled some of that gap by allowing season ticket holders to roll their 2020 ticket purchases into 2021. Consequently, we have a large issue facing us this fall. How do we replace those revenues this year?

In addition, we seemingly lost 10% of our season ticketholder base by virtue of the way we handled the refund of 2020 season ticket purchases.

Finally, what happens if we can’t play football this fall in front of a a capacity crowd in Beaver Stadium?

Second, we don’t yet know the impact of recent image and likeness legislation on colleges and universities. What if the result of this is a drag on athletics revenues?

Finally, we seem to be deviating from our policy of philanthropic commitments in writing in hand before commencing. Instead, we intend to utilize $48.3 million of borrowings from a February 4, 2020 taxable bond offering. Moreover, does this approach not create a gender equity problem for us given our direction to the Women’s Field Hockey team?

Women’s Field Hockey would like to spend $9 million on a new venue. To date, they have received $7 million in committed gifts yet they have been told they cannot break ground without the full $9 million in hand.

Additionally, the Student Food Pantry has been told that they must raise the $250,000 required for expansion that is so desperately needed. In a time when we have homeless students living in the HUB and showering in Rec Hall, what message are we sending with this decision?

With respect to my philosophical concerns, I have heard some of you as well as University leadership refer to an arms race as it pertains to football. Let me suggest that such a race is unwinnable and frankly, in my opinion, a fools errand.

Let me remind all of you that Penn State, between 2014-2018, ranked 7th in football related expenditures, averaging almost $41 million. In 2018, the spend in football was $48 million.

Alabama was #1 at almost $60.5 million, Florida State followed at almost $50 million. Ohio State was 4th at almost $43 million while Michigan was 5th at ~$41 million. Clemson followed at just under $40 million.

Interesting to note that Notre Dame (~$39.5 million), Georgia (~$39 million) and Oklahoma (~$37 million) all spent less on football than us yet all have reached the final four.

Parenthetically, Alabama is the 143rd ranked school in the most recent US News and World Report whereas Clemson ranks 73rd.

A very wise man many of us knew liked to quote a line from the poet Robert Browning.

When the women's field hockey team draws 110,000 to its games, we can talk about gender equity.

I agree. Question - When is football spending enough?? Answer - Never. It's always a game of one-upmanship. Team A builds a cool new toy in the football only rec facility. Team B has to outdo Team A. Team C has to outdo Team B, etc. If we want to play that game we'll need to be OK with increased NLC donation levels and higher ticket prices.

It's weird because my guess is the new toys set idle after the novelty wears off. But they look cool to recruits who visit. Are they worth the expenditure?

PSU and the BIG are absolutely screwed if there are limits on fans in the fall.

$49m is nothing to get the necessary facility upgrades. Most of it was supposed to funded by donors, but that seemingly fell short of expectations. Maybe you should be looking into why the shortfall within ICA fundraising?

Reactions: bmw199 and 91Joe95
I agree. Question - When is football spending enough?? Answer - Never. It's always a game of one-upmanship. Team A builds a cool new toy in the football only rec facility. Team B has to outdo Team A. Team C has to outdo Team B, etc. If we want to play that game we'll need to be OK with increased NLC donation levels and higher ticket prices.

It's weird because my guess is the new toys set idle after the novelty wears off. But they look cool to recruits who visit. Are they worth the expenditure?

Inclined to agree that the toys aren't going to make the football team a championship contender. Question though: should the surplus earned by the football program be plowed back into the program or spent on tennis teams, golf teams, gymnastics teams, jackwagon administrators, etc?

PSU and the BIG are absolutely screwed if there are limits on fans in the fall.

$49m is nothing to get the necessary facility upgrades. Most of it was supposed to funded by donors, but that seemingly fell short of expectations. Maybe you should be looking into why the shortfall within ICA fundraising?

If $49mm is "nothing," what's $105mm because that will be the amount spent over years?

Rather than look into the fundraising shortfall, perhaps there should be a review og how ICA spends its money. Perhaps Brandon Short can lead? Watch your wallet.

Inclined to agree that the toys aren't going to make the football team a championship contender. Question though: should the surplus earned by the football program be plowed back into the program or spent on tennis teams, golf teams, gymnastics teams, jackwagon administrators, etc?
I have always had the question of what value does fielding a men's and women's golf/tennis/swimming/gymnastics/fencing team provide to any school? I see no benefit to the school fielding non-revenue generating sports with the exception of the possibility of a few more meaningless trophies in the hallway that no one cares about.

I have always had the question of what value does fielding a men's and women's golf/tennis/swimming/gymnastics/fencing team provide to any school? I see no benefit to the school fielding non-revenue generating sports with the exception of the possibility of a few more meaningless trophies in the hallway that no one cares about.

I have the same questions. Problem is that the people who should be aren't asking them.

Therein lies the debate. We all can recall the days when ICA bragged about self-funding all those programs. If the money is there I say share the wealth. The gravy train days are coming to an end. Nothing against tennis, for example, but is the sport popular enough to sponsor a team in central PA with it's unfriendly seasonal weather? Is it worth building a suitable indoor facility to attract talented players, most of whom rarely play college tennis anyway?

Reactions: psu00
Yet they have raised 77% of the cost of their project vs what..20%? for football? If you can't see the issue there you aren't looking.
I hear you but the reality is probably less than 1000 people give two seconds of thought about field hockey on an annual basis while hundreds of thousands think about it weekly for about 10 months out of the year. Football is a major part of the schools brand.

Therein lies the debate. We all can recall the days when ICA bragged about self-funding all those programs. If the money is there I say share the wealth. The gravy train days are coming to an end. Nothing against tennis, for example, but is the sport popular enough to sponsor a team in central PA with it's unfriendly seasonal weather? Is it worth building a suitable indoor facility to attract talented players, most of whom rarely play college tennis anyway?

My concern is that the financial wall between ICA and the University will soon become a thing of the past. Don't be surprised to see an announcement that PSU will break ground on the Anne Saunders Barbour Swimming Hole. That will be the tip of the iceberg, foreshadowing the appearance of another student fee line on the semester bills.

Reactions: 91Joe95
My concern is that the financial wall between ICA and the University will soon become a thing of the past. Don't be surprised to see an announcement that PSU will break ground on the Anne Saunders Barbour Swimming Hole. That will be the tip of the iceberg, foreshadowing the appearance of another student fee line on the semester bills.
They should just fill.in the pools and build a parking garage. Cheaper and will actually generate revenue.

With this thinking, you need to eliminate all sports with perhaps the exception of football and basketball. Take it all the way back to high school. The only sports that charge admission in my district are football and basketball. Swimming. Golf. Field hockey. Lacrosse. Volleyball. Baseball. Water polo. Track and field. Cross country. Soccer. Softball. None of them generate any revenue.

That viewpoint seems very short-sighted

I will never understand why the Big Ten screwed our institutions by allowing ZERO fans into the stadium while the SEC/Big12 allowed 25%. They could have gotten 50% of the normal ticket revenue if they allowed 25% capacity. Now, if the Big Ten applies limitations again in 2021, the athletic budgets may not be able to recover.

It was a wise call to pump the brakes on such a large capital improvement given these uncertain times.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I would love to see someone within leadership have the guts to suggest it is time for Penn State to drop down from 31 sports. Will it be tough? Yes in some cases because teams that could get cut are normally ranked programs. In other cases it should be cutting of teams before there are cascading costs such as building a new nat. for swimming or diving or building a new tennis center that will benefit community tennis players more than our varsity athletes. I know soccer wants to create a state of the art soccer center on the south end of Jeffery Field. Where does it stop?

Reactions: bison13 and psu00
With this thinking, you need to eliminate all sports with perhaps the exception of football and basketball. Take it all the way back to high school. The only sports that charge admission in my district are football and basketball. Swimming. Golf. Field hockey. Lacrosse. Volleyball. Baseball. Water polo. Track and field. Cross country. Soccer. Softball. None of them generate any revenue.

You are talking apple and oranges.
What's the annual budget for a central PA swim team compared to PSU swim team?

I am very surprised, and encouraged, to see the strong opposition to this vote. I did not expect the reaction.

Sandy better pray that the fight against Covid does not continue to damage revenue. If it does, or if one of the other valid issues hits, she might not get to retire on her terms.

Nope. Football is the engine that drives the entire athletic department and you people lived on the cheap relative to football for decades. I toured Lasch in 2011 and it was a run down dump. If you people had kept with the times you wouldn't have to play so much catch-up. That being said I support the renovations 100% and the minute I feel the administration wants to win on the cheap is the minute I give up my tickets.
Treat your cash cow with the respect it deserves. The 60s, 70s, and 80s are over.

No you don't. You just remove budget responsibility for all of the money losing sports (except for women's basketball which is a sacred cow) from ICA and transfer into an orgnaization/process that is responsible for student/recreation/cultural activities and fund it accordingly. Much better transparency and accountability.

Nope. Football is the engine that drives the entire athletic department and you people lived on the cheap relative to football for decades. I toured Lasch in 2011 and it was a run down dump. If you people had kept with the times you wouldn't have to play so much catch-up. That being said I support the renovations 100% and the minute I feel the administration wants to win on the cheap is the minute I give up my tickets.
Treat your cash cow with the respect it deserves. The 60s, 70s, and 80s are over.

Why should football revenue underwrite the remainder of the Athletic Department?

Lasch is not rundown any longer. Many areas have been completely renovated within last 5 years. Most of the areas that have been done are the areas where the student athletes hangout/use. This would address the other areas of Lasch. Maybe you need to do a tour in 2021 instead of spouting off how it looked in 2011.

Why should football revenue underwrite the remainder of the Athletic Department?
Good question. I've been trying to understand that scenario for decades.
And speaking of cheap - if the university gave a damn about basketball the past 40 years perhaps it would be generating more than a coin drop compared to other similar programs.

You voted to choke an asset, the football program, that produces both intangibles like school pride and actual profit for the university. One of the core tenants in business is investing in that which produces margin so as to protect and grow that margin. My friend, you have failed. If you cannot recognize simple tenants of finance, you don’t belong in the position.

Lasch is not rundown any longer. Many areas have been completely renovated within last 5 years. Most of the areas that have been done are the areas where the student athletes hangout/use. This would address the other areas of Lasch. Maybe you need to do a tour in 2021 instead of spouting off how it looked in 2011.
You're not to bright. My point was prior to the renovations Lasch was a dump. The film room was an embarrassment to most highschools hence the need to renovate the building in its entirety including expansions such as the ones just approved.

You're not to bright. My point was prior to the renovations Lasch was a dump. The film room was an embarrassment to most highschools hence the need to renovate the building in its entirety including expansions such as the ones just approved.

I’m not too bright yet you are the one who acts like it still looks like it did in 2011. 🙄🤦‍♂️

You voted to choke an asset, the football program, that produces both intangibles like school pride and actual profit for the university. One of the core tenants in business is investing in that which produces margin so as to protect and grow that margin. My friend, you have failed. If you cannot recognize simple tenants of finance, you don’t belong in the position.

What an absolute load of shit.

I have no dog in this fight but I do question the purpose of this quote:

Reactions: PSU Mike and BBrown
Good question. I've been trying to understand that scenario for decades.
And speaking of cheap - if the university gave a damn about basketball the past 40 years perhaps it would be generating more than a coin drop compared to other similar programs.

If you look at it the right way, what Tony voted against was to borrow to subsidize a bunch of money-losing sports.

Reactions: step.eng69

That viewpoint seems very short-sighten
Yes, intercollegiate athletics were not created to be a revenue source for the schools, it just happened to work that way for a few. By the way even most NCAA D1 football and basketball programs lose money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT