ADVERTISEMENT

I guess the age of legally buying college players has begun

Also, I can imagine that the boobirds are going to come out in college venues now. I realize that there is some booing - but nothing like pro sports. The argument has always been something to the effect that you shouldn't boo amateurs. Even if the players aren't on average compensated nearly as well as their professional counterparts, it's the change in perception that matters.
And they should if the players are demanding money or expecting to get paid more to play. You can’t pick and choose what parts of being a professional you get to apply to yourself and leave out the parts you don’t like. You gotta take the bad with the good.

And they should if the players are demanding money or expecting to get paid more to play. You can’t pick and choose what parts of being a professional you get to apply to yourself and leave out the parts you don’t like. You gotta take the bad with the good.
I can see that. Players have never been called out by name as ineffective. Can imagine this gate swings both ways.

The great KK wrote "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"...

Careful what you wish for - everyone - from player to Governor.

Last edited:
Reactions: rudedude
IMO, there are a lot of questions and craziness out there now. Once things settle down a bit, we will find most players monetizing through various social media platforms.

IMO, there are a lot of questions and craziness out there now. Once things settle down a bit, we will find most players monetizing through various social media platforms.
And what happens when the heads of these social media platforms don’t like certain schools and demonetize certain athletes? They do it now with certain political leanings, so what’s going to stop them from doing it to certain schools they don’t like?

And what happens when the heads of these social media platforms don’t like certain schools and demonetize certain athletes? They do it now with certain political leanings, so what’s going to stop them from doing it to certain schools they don’t like?
True. The world won’t be right until Fat Donnie gets his orange ass back to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Newsflash: Businesses of all sizes and all types could do the exact same thing. And Facebook/Twitter aren’t going to be where kids make money.

Reactions: Sproul
What i'm having trouble wrapping my head around is just why is this SO problematic. Explain it like i'm 5. Sorry to be a dunce, but we known dozens of B list celebs and I would require payment to watch THEM! Save for 3-6 players every year across the country..... who would I spend money on the 3rd string OG? There are thousands of players in the CFB and dont you think 99% wouldn't see a an Indian head nickel? Does this mean that FEMALE athletes can make money doing cam shows and other awesomely questionable events/services for money? Gratefully appreciated IF one or two could clarify for me. Thanks in advance!

Are you all still going to pretend that there is "college" football?

Are you all still going to pretend that there is "college" football?
Let's see how it shakes out. I think there will be some opportunities to do very well for a small percentage. I think there will be perhaps 60 or 70 per squad that will be like the kid that gets coal in his stocking on Christmas.
I don't see the 3rd team OT getting anything more than chump change.

What i'm having trouble wrapping my head around is just why is this SO problematic. Explain it like i'm 5. Sorry to be a dunce, but we known dozens of B list celebs and I would require payment to watch THEM! Save for 3-6 players every year across the country..... who would I spend money on the 3rd string OG? There are thousands of players in the CFB and dont you think 99% wouldn't see a an Indian head nickel? Does this mean that FEMALE athletes can make money doing cam shows and other awesomely questionable events/services for money? Gratefully appreciated IF one or two could clarify for me. Thanks in advance!
You do know that kids with ratings in the 1000-1200 nationally choose their final 8 schools? Hold elaborate signing ceremonies and are cock sure they are NFL bound?
Try telling those kids once they move in that no one knows their name and could care less about making them $$$. Some of these kids come from high schools where they have dominated (small) and families that are financially strapped and often dysfunctional. The youngsters think that they are mining for gold and will support the extended family.......imagine when the payday doesn't arrive. Someone made mention of MLB baseball and the disparity in pay. These are guys generally hitting MLB 4 to 6 years older, who have survived the minor league grind. They have agents and union representation to help them understand the landscape. I think this could make the culture very difficult for coaches to build a team. (not that its easy now).

Thanks for the plug! We are still putting our 5 star package together, but it will include a year membership in the pierogi of the month club and a 2 week stay at my timeshare in the Gobi Desert. More details later!!!

Gambit enterprises has cornered the NIL market on urinal trough ads in Beaver Stadium. Now you can enjoy a player staring at you while you urinate in close proximity to dozens of others!

5230aef81c6f0.image.jpg

The concept may be just. But with no limits in place it will be literally paying for the best players. Their offers to go to a school will be as much financial as anything. Their agent will get them the best deal and present it to them because the player will default to them knowing more. These are high school kids making these big financial decisions. Meanwhile most kids get nothing. There is nothing now stopping them from unionizing as well and forcing schools to offer financial packages beyond a free ride. Remember the school is “making millions off these kids”.

Pardon the thread slide, but after all these years I still have no idea what Kris Kristofferson was trying to say.
It's certainly up for debate. My take is that he was saying that none of us are really free, regardless of how much we may think we are. Other than the off grid folks in Alaska, I think that is even more true in today's world. Just my take, mind you.

I'm old enough to remember when Curtis Enis got bounced for getting a suit. Today he would get a $ million endorsement deal from Brooks Brothers and consider transferring if he could get a better deal at another school.

True. The world won’t be right until Fat Donnie gets his orange ass back to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Newsflash: Businesses of all sizes and all types could do the exact same thing. And Facebook/Twitter aren’t going to be where kids make money.
Still haven’t gotten over your TDS….what a shame.

Reactions: bison13
Been predicted for a long time. Amateur college football is coming to an end. It will now be players paid with a wink and a nod and a huge check. Alumni, car dealers, shoe and cloth companies, any major corporation that wants the publicity.

Who knows, eventually maybe college football will become the farm system of pro ball. Maybe the Steelers sponsor Pitt, Eagles sponsor PennState, Cowboys sponsor Texas and so on. It would seem fair for the pro leagues to finally pay up for the free development of college kids the have enjoyed.
College football has been the NFL’s farm system for a long time.
What % of these players do you think are thinking of anything other than the NFL.
My bet is most see themselves in the nfl and most of them are and will be disappointed.

Gambit enterprises has cornered the NIL market on urinal trough ads in Beaver Stadium. Now you can enjoy a player staring at you while you urinate in close proximity to dozens of others!

5230aef81c6f0.image.jpg
This not the 30 yard stainless steel trough. However, I would expect nothing less than falsely advertising overpriced trinkets, junk and undesirable destinations from Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises

What % of these players do you think are thinking of anything other than the NFL.
My bet is most see themselves in the nfl and most of them are and will be disappointed.
I think the vast majority of these players know they’re never going to see the NFL and they use football as a way to get an education. The percentage that make it to the NFL is so small that the majority of players are smart enough to realize they’re not going to make it.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I'm really curious to see what this does for the recruitment of walk-on players. If a player is faced with the prospect of taking a full ride at a lower level P5 or MAC school, or walking on at a top 25 program with the ability to earn enough to cover more than tuition, you may see them pass up the full ride.

Being able to make money in college may change some of that thinking? Is it more profitable to go to Alabama and find space on a crowded roster or go to a less crowded situation where you may be in the spotlight for longer without needing to share it? Different kids will come to different conclusions but it is going to shake up the status quo.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Here's something I haven't seen discussed.

What happens with regards to NIL when 2 players have the same number. Ellis (DB) and Roberson (QB) both wear No. 2. Especially if one is a star and the other is a walk on.
I'd think loyalty to a particularly jersey number will quickly wane and players will be quite willing to change numbers if that's what it takes to make some money. But in PSU's case I'm not sure jerseys amount to anything unless we start putting names on the back, which players might start pressuring for especially if players start banking jersey sales money at other programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAgeologist
I'm really curious to see what this does for the recruitment of walk-on players. If a player is faced with the prospect of taking a full ride at a lower level P5 or MAC school, or walking on at a top 25 program with the ability to earn enough to cover more than tuition, you may see them pass up the full ride.
Who’s going to pay walk on players for anything?

Reactions: marshall23
I imagine this will not put BAGMEN. o_O out of business. There still should be room for shenanigans in recruiting.

With the family environment in our locker room, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a player or two do something like this.

With the family environment in our locker room, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a player or two do something like this.

” A percentage” to be shared.
Wonder if that’s like American Express card pitch at Christmas time.
As I recall, the. % was 1.

ditto for “ smile.Amazon.com.” We have used this site for Amazon purchases for several years. It benefits a charity of your choice. Small % but better than nothing.

I think the vast majority of these players know they’re never going to see the NFL and they use football as a way to get an education. The percentage that make it to the NFL is so small that the majority of players are smart enough to realize they’re not going to make it.
I dont know about that. Not all but more than you think. Otherwise there wouldn't be 1000 kids in the portal. Plus every kid I ever coached who went d1, other than to the naval academy or west point, thought they would be in the pros, even d2 kids thought they would. I was invited to a draft party for a kid who didn't start at Bowie state until senior year, he wasnt even given a free agent deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT