ADVERTISEMENT

I guess the age of legally buying college players has begun

I dont know about that. Not all but more than you think. Otherwise there wouldn't be 1000 kids in the portal. Plus every kid I ever coached who went d1, other than to the naval academy or west point, thought they would be in the pros, even d2 kids thought they would. I was invited to a draft party for a kid who didn't start at Bowie state until senior year, he wasnt even given a free agent deal.
Not every kid that goes into the portal does it for NFL purposes. Many go into the portal so they can end up at a school where they will get more playing time which is why many take a step down to a lower tier school. I know a lot of kids that went D1 and knew they were never going to make it to the pros. I don’t think college football has become quite the NFL farm system that some think it has.

The name image likeness thing does not appear to have any limits. They will be allowed to have agents and sign any endorsement deal starting July 1. So what’s to stop Ohio state and the likes from just throwing dollars in endorsements to players on official visit. Does an official visit even exist anymore? Is it just pay for a player. How can it not be? A five star athlete will just go wherever offered them the highest de-facto salary. Their agent will work out the details I imagine.
Going forward how does this not destroy college football? Elites will cash in but what about the rest of the team?If big dollars are made what about scholarships ?I am sorry but this appears to be a huge mess.

Reactions: trz103
So, Nebraska volleyball star Lexi Sun partnered with REN Athletics (a volleyball apparel company) to design/promote athletic apparel. This is how you do NIL.

E5OFVN0VcAAe7e_.png

5bbd4c200f6a6.image.jpg

The name image likeness thing does not appear to have any limits. They will be allowed to have agents and sign any endorsement deal starting July 1. So what’s to stop Ohio state and the likes from just throwing dollars in endorsements to players on official visit. Does an official visit even exist anymore? Is it just pay for a player. How can it not be? A five star athlete will just go wherever offered them the highest de-facto salary. Their agent will work out the details I imagine.
Kinda funny, head coaches will have to compete with athletes for endorsements. 😂

Doesn't need to be in a bag anymore.
Now the bag man is stupid for not getting something in return for his money.
Before, his "return" was clout among fellow boosters who knew he was paying player X and keepin him happy...which might help team Z on the field this year.

Again, this whole thing levels the playing field for PSU, who didn't engage in paying players, like Ohio State, Alabama, USC, etc.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Reactions: Midnighter2
Is PSU at a disadvantage because they offer so many sports? Trying to get $$$ for so many athletes would seem to run the well dry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT