ADVERTISEMENT

I don't know why Mark Emmert escapes this

Totally agree. As one writer stated, the feds are doing the job of the NCAA. And what about the head coaches and AD's at these schools? They have either been aware and turned their heads to this or have been totally incompetent.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Given our basketball history, and lack of 5-star recruits, Penn State & Pat Chambers are as clean as baby lambs. On a different note, does this scandal bleed into college football?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Given our basketball history, and lack of 5-star recruits, Penn State & Pat Chambers are as clean as baby lambs. On a different note, does this scandal bleed into college football?

Possibly. But, with what we are seeing right now, this is far more prevalent to hoops.

We can usually tell from early on if a kid is going to be a star in the NBA. When you look at players like LeBron, Simmons, etc; they're as close to a sure thing as it gets. I remember seeing something like 87% of top 10 recruits end up playing in the NBA. That's a far more likely thing to invest in than say, a top QB recruit where you have no idea where they'll project 3 to 5 years down the road, or if they will even go pro.

With shady, fraudulent transactions like these ones, they probably thought it would be best to have them come and go as quickly as possible. A lot of these kids are at their universities for 2 semesters, gone, and everyone's hands are clean (or so they thought). With college football, the player is at the school at least 3 years. If the original payment money runs out, they might come looking for more.

Last edited:
It will either directly or indirectly impact college football. No question.

Everything I've heard is directly related to shoe companies, which is a much bigger problem in college basketball than football. I'd love to see it bleed into football but I don't think it will, unless they stumble up on it while investigating someone for basketball (a coach might start singing about the football program at his own school to save his own hide).

Reactions: masterbaker65
He runs the NCAA. He knows everything that is going on and just had to know so many schools were on the take.

He turned his back to this for no other reason than to protect his legacy.
Emmert had to know!! And if he didn't, he's a totally incompetent boob. Well, we knew that didn't we? And corrupt too.

So now we know why Emmert and company went so hard after the false PSU narrative... it was cover for all of this. PSU with it's history of success with honor was the perfect target.

He runs the NCAA. He knows everything that is going on and just had to know so many schools were on the take.

Well he's known about North Carolina being Institutionally Corrupt in regards to "Academic Fraud" to gain an advantage on the field of play for a long, long, long time at this point and has routinely looked the other way.....or even worse, used the NCAA as "shield" and offensive weapon in support of the NC's Institutional Cheating. Why should we believe it is any different with these schools? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what USC was accused of in regards to Reggie Bush? Isn't it well known that Auburn has been allowing agents to play players for a long, long time at this point, etc.....

Hell, Oklahoma State was shown and proven to have been hosting recruiting parties with hookers and call-girls in attendance (the hookers and call-girls are the ones who turned them in and the assistant coach was shown to have been texting with them or some such thing) AND THE NCAA DID NOTHING!?!? And that fat piece of red-faced, whino $hit Emmert did nothing, but PSU has a "Football Culture Problem" while having one of the highest graduation rates consistently over the last 50 years of FBS Football - go figure!?!?

Reactions: nits74 and john4psu
Hell, Oklahoma State was shown and proven to have been hosting recruiting parties with hookers and call-girls in attendance (the hookers and call-girls are the ones who turned them in and the assistant coach was shown to have been texting with them or some such thing) AND THE NCAA DID NOTHING!?!? And that fat piece of red-faced, whino $hit Emmert did nothing, but PSU has a "Football Culture Problem" while having one of the highest graduation rates consistently over the last 50 years of FBS Football - go figure!?!?
The hookers and call girls and madams were Louisville's act, but aside from that you are exactly right.

The NCAA makes all their money from the D-1 basketball tournament. They are not going to do anything that would upset their own gravy train. You expect Emmert to do anything that would lessen the opportunity for him to slurp up some gravy?

NCAA = sanctimonious pigs. Looks like I'll be wearing my National Communist Athletic Association T-shirt on Saturday.

Reactions: denniskembala

I don't think Emmert has a legacy worth protecting but he sure as hell would do anything to protect the six figure salary gravy train he's been riding.

Don't think so..the recruiting payment game I believe is just different...Footwear companies see greater $$$ with basketball endorsed shoes , yes?

Don't really know many football players endorsing football/cleats?

Market size has to be vastly different in size and scale...

I would love to see if T. Boone Pickens is involved somehow with this since one of their assistants was caught. As much money as he poured into OSU, he had to have some knowledge of what was going on because he basically owns the campus.

Don't think so..the recruiting payment game I believe is just different...Footwear companies see greater $$$ with basketball endorsed shoes , yes?

But recruits/families wanting to get paid is no different in football than basketball.

Was just watching The Paul Finebaum show. He was opining that college football is "virginal" in comparison to college basketball, which he labeled a "sleazepit." Finebaum admittedly has a persona interest and bias in this, and is not necessarily an expert, but I think he is probably correct. The whole shoe company and AAU team thing is a much bigger deal in basketball than it is in football.

It would not surprise me if a whole bunch of schools get caught up in this. Cal's new head coach, Wyking Jones, was an assistant under Pitino a few years ago. I am holding my breath. Hopefully, Cal's traditional mediocrity, combined with our institutional hatred of athletic success, saves us from all of this.

Basketball is where the money is for the NCAA, can't shoot my cash cow can I...............Emmert!

Someone today speculated that the NCAA tipped off the Feds since they were too powerless to do anything about it themselves. Either way it's not a good look for an organization that comes across looking like security guards at the mall trying to stop a shootout on the level of Heat.

I liked the analogy I heard on the radio today, the NCAA is like a mall cop to these schools compared to the Fed jumping in now.

Someone today speculated that the NCAA tipped off the Feds since they were too powerless to do anything about it themselves. Either way it's not a good look for an organization that comes across looking like security guards at the mall trying to stop a shootout on the level of Heat.
I don't buy that for a second. It makes the NCAA look ridiculous, and if there is one thing the corrupt, self-serving Emmert Empire cannot afford, it is to be made look ridiculous. Much like Jack Woltz could not afford to be made to look ridiculous.

But recruits/families wanting to get paid is no different in football than basketball.
I was reading something about this that makes sense... with football, it's more about boosters wanting a player to attend their school. The agents, shoe companies, etc don't really get involved in high school because they know they have at least 3 years to identify talent before they go pro.

However, with basketball and the one and done rule, everyone is trying to get their hooks into them early, since they're only in school one or two years. Many top players are only in school as a formality because the NBA says they have to, otherwise they'd be playing in the league already. Which opens it up to corruption in the recruiting process.

True but "who" is paying them? If it's the footwear companies...they do it for a reason...they want the guys ultimately wearing their shoes , yes?

Just think the $$ size of the basketball show market is vastly different from football cleats.

What I find interesting...is how much the Ball Family knew about all of this ( of course I assume a lot)...he wanted to cut out the middle man...family makes their own money off their own shoe deals...

I have no respect for Laval Ball for a number of reasons...but he was clearly onto something...and he was/is no worse than Adidas right now ( we don't know about NIKE yet in this scandal)...

Emmert knew everything that was going on in the NCAA just like Joe knew everything that was happening at PSU. The only question is if the NCAA board of directors plans to cover their own butts by throwing Emmert under the bus

There's some money in jerseys--but I expect you are correct.

I would love to see if T. Boone Pickens is involved somehow with this since one of their assistants was caught. As much money as he poured into OSU, he had to have some knowledge of what was going on because he basically owns the campus.
I expect that *if* he did something, he was too smart to do it directly or traceably. Or too smart to play that game at all.

I think the AAU basketball teams are a big part of the problem in hoops.

Don't look now but these 7 on 7 summer HA football teams are heading down that same path. Just look at what happened to the QB who committed to PSU and then decommitted after someone got in his ear.

Reactions: NC2017
I've heard the opposite. That the FBI didn't inform the NCAA that an investigation was even going on. Think about that one for a minute, and possible reasons why NCAA HQ wouldn't be informed that there was huge investigation going on involving several of its member schools.

Then think about this: FBI investigation, NCAA kept in the dark.
Freeh's "internal, independent investigation" of Penn State, NCAA is informed every step of the way, and its input is welcomed, even requested.

I've heard the opposite. That the FBI didn't inform the NCAA that an investigation was even going on. Think about that one for a minute, and possible reasons why NCAA HQ wouldn't be informed that there was huge investigation going on involving several of its member schools.

Freeh's "internal, independent investigation" of Penn State, NCAA is informed every step of the way, and its input is welcomed, even requested.
It's pretty obvious the FBI suspects leaks/moles within the ncaa. It's the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

Why would the Feds EVER leak this to the NCAA based on how inept it has been as an organization handling its own affairs.

This... is an embarrassment.Period. They will try and spin it... but you can bet their phones were ringing off the hook when this went down.

Imagine the FBI doing this to any other organization ... well... there is FIFA which has turned about to be one of the most corrupt sporting organizations ever.

This is bad... if the NCAA new about it... Ass Clown Emmett would have had a much more thorough response...and he didn't...

There's no way football is impacted in any way by this. I distinctly remember the pronouncement of Pavarotti here:

12161188-large.jpg

(Sing this line to an appropriate tune, like Pavarotti Emmert appears to be here) “Football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people."

So no, football is obviously not going to be in the discussion here.

Last edited:
Let's see if I understand this. Adidas and financial agents give $ to an "asst coach" (wink, wink) to urge players to go to X University, and to sign with certain agents when they go pro.

The FBI says this is fraud, b/c it puts kids at XU whom the coaches and shoe cos. know are not eligible, because they took $$. So the indicted coach gets 91k (Person) down to one schlub who got like 13k, and this is the crime spree? This is your big federal case?

If NCAA Basketball is crooked, then somebody's making more than 91k. Other than the head coaches, that has to be the NCAA itself, which gets a billion bux from its tourney each year.

The NCAA is also in charge of making sure college bb is clean, which I can't even type without laughing. The NCAA has a terrible, structural conflict since the day it started collecting that billion, since if the NCAA actually investigates the stuff itself, it will discredit college bb and cut it's own financial throat.

But if these speculations bear scrutiny, then isn't the NCAA the beneficiary of these fraudulent schemes even more than the coaches? How can you be both the lead investigator AND receive a billion dollars from the scheme?

No wonder Marky Mark knew nothing about this FBI sting. Maybe the target is the NCAA.

"Mark" Emmert. Perfect.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT