ADVERTISEMENT

I’ve been hesitant to post this, but thought I would anyway...

psufanatic03

Gold Member
Jan 27, 2006
First of all, I realize these coaches are extremely busy people...so I get it, so please don’t reply to my post with the usual snide comments that head coaches of football programs have better things to do than appease nobody’s like myself and other obsessed fans of a football programs by signing autographs.

So, I know some of you on here think I really don’t like Franklin, which I’ve stated numerous times is very untrue. I really like Franklin. I think he’s a great ambassador to the football program and a tireless recruiter. Of course there are things I’d love to see him improve on as a HC (like closing out games and clock management), but Dan Mullin and James Franklin were my #1 and #1a dream picks of succeeding Bill O’Brien. I was ecstatic that we got Franklin. Anyway...with all of this preliminary niceties and caveats out of the way, I recently have developed somewhat of an internal or personal resentment/disappointment/confusion toward Franklin. Let me explain. As many of you on here know I have a 7-month old son. When he was born, we hired a photographer for a photo shoot. Naturally, being the obsessed Penn State fan I am, for a portion of the shoot, my infant son was in PSU gear from head to toe. Anyway, I mailed one of those photos of my son to Coach Franklin for his autograph. I thought it would be a neat momento to my son as he grows. I accompanied the photo with a nice hand written letter that probably could get Franklin elected to Congress and a self addressed return envelope back with the sufficient postage affixed. This was back in January...it’s now July and I’ve got nothing back.

Now I know these guys are swamped and being pulled in a million different directions, but to not sign an autograph for an infant?...I don’t know, it’s kinda has left somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth regarding Franklin’s character. I used to send Joe Paterno things to autograph all the time, and they would always come back to me signed. With Franklin, I’ve sent one thing on my infant son’s behalf and it’s been over 7 months and nothing. Have any of you guys tried doing something similar and have had any success? I find it hard to believe that Franklin has a “no autograph” policy. Anyway...just wanted to share this because my disappointment in Franklin has been festering somewhat. I know it’s something small, but from a personal standpoint it wasn’t all that small...especially since I made it a very easy and simple process so that it would only be a 2 second gesture on Franklin’s part with no hassle. Just thought I’d share.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News