ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical regarding PAC 12?

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
With the early start their teams have shown and the fact that there "seem to be" more quality teams in their league than they've had in several years, is it possible that one of the media companies like FOX or ESPN reconsider a deal? Or is it too late?

I believe it would be better for college football to maintain more regionalization.

Just a thought, might be a crazy one.

What say you?

1) How do we know in week 1 when like 10% or less of all power 5 teams have played another power 5 team?
2) The decisions aren't based on this season's performance.

Reactions: doctornick
1) How do we know in week 1 when like 10% or less of all power 5 teams have played another power 5 team?
2) The decisions aren't based on this season's performance.
That's why I said hypothetical. What if Colorado continues to do well and one of the PAC 12 teams goes undefeated and is in the CFP, is there a reconsideration by media?

Why would there be? The new leagues the team are in would want them even more.

The better question I have is who retains all the money and media rights to the PAC-12?

Do wazzu and Oregon st get to keep it??

The better question I have is who retains all the money and media rights to the PAC-12?

Good question. Have not read anything regarding that. Lawyers are probably discussing the distribution.

That’s part of the debate of Wazzu and the Beavs joining the Mountain West conference or having some Mountain West teams join Wazzu and OSU in a new reconstituted PAC. I haven’t heard anyone go into depth at what PAC assets are left and who gets them. IIRC the PAC is also in debt to Comcast with prior overpayments that need to be returned.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
From what I’ve read, it sounds like a probable scenario is a “reverse merger” where most/all of the Mountain West joins the Pac-12 and takes on its IP. If that happens, I’m wondering if the Mountain West TV deal would carry over as well? They have deals in place with CBS and FOX through 2026.

Reactions: katchthis and psu00
First, one week of solid performance is hardly a predictor for the remainder of the season and in the end this is inconsequential as tv eyeballs rule this equation . The schools already signed contracts with their new conferences, so no way does this hypothetical happen. And I cannot imagine that the different contingents of these schools want to have anything to do with each other anytime soon. Hell, USC reportedly wanted to get leave Oregon behind to bury them in recruiting. The schools themselves no longer operate in a regional manner.

With the early start their teams have shown and the fact that there "seem to be" more quality teams in their league than they've had in several years, is it possible that one of the media companies like FOX or ESPN reconsider a deal? Or is it too late?

I believe it would be better for college football to maintain more regionalization.

What say you?
these decisions were based on money, not competitiveness. The B1G has been able to negotiate the best TV deals. Go back and check ratings for top B1G games (PSU, UM, tOSU) and SEC games. Then check the Pac12. The west coast has never been a great sports area. They are really spoiled by perennial championship teams like the Lakers, Dodgers, Giants, 49ers and Warriors. Those schools came to the B1G for money from the TV contracts.

From what I’ve read, it sounds like a probable scenario is a “reverse merger” where most/all of the Mountain West joins the Pac-12 and takes on its IP. If that happens, I’m wondering if the Mountain West TV deal would carry over as well? They have deals in place with CBS and FOX through 2026.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Maybe a few schools are left behind but the MWC being dissolved (relieves any need for exit fee payments) and most if not all of the MWC going to a new PAC-12 (or whatever number) makes the most sense. Especially as that would retain the PAC-12 autobid - and revenue - for the CFP at least initially.

The TV deal as mentioned would be the biggest issue as the PAC-12 does not have anything after 2023-24. I think however that they could work out a deal with CBS/FOX for the (new/reconstituted) PAC-12 to take over the obligations of the current MWC deal and may even get a small bump in payments for that given a relatively stronger brand. There's pretty much no downside for CBS/FOX in that case and they might even be able to work out a favorable contract extension if the networks want it in exchange for retaining the deal.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I can't see any reversal of the expansion happening. It's not the PAC12 kicking out its members.

The schools are leaving on their own for greener pastures. And that is both money and being a part of the 2 super conferences (SEC and B1G).

On the conference side, it's all about TV deals. More big markets means bigger deals.

This is still looking to become an NFL style playoffs, in my opinion, between the SEC and B1G. Everyone else will be scrambling for the scraps.

I'm sure the big ACC schools would time warp to 2035 or whenever they can reasonably get out of their GOR contract to get in on this. Or go back and not sign the GOR.

What say you?
It's way too late. Why would they want to stay?
I think this is about you wanting it to be regional than anything
Crazy is an understatement. The Big 4 aren't abandoning the Big Ten lol

What say you?

I think regionalization is an out of date concept for today’s college football.

Due to the enormous amount of TV money, the expectations are to get matchups based on ratings regardless of geographic location.

Bottom line, it’s over for the PAC 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT