ADVERTISEMENT

Hummingbirds and Swallows

Any body seeing either in SWPA?
I have a few (2) maybe at my feeders (balto) but not nearly as many as last year.
I was told they didn't like the sound of the cicada's so there weren't as many around. I have no idea if thats
the reason or not. However the Cicada invasion has pretty much ended for us so maybe more will appear.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Hummingbird(s) on my wife's honeysuckle like Norm on cheers all day long. Neatest thing is it is less than 3' from the powder room window so I get a "birds eye" (no pun intended) view!

Reactions: odshowtime
I am in the Poconos and our humming bird feeders have lines waiting to eat. Almost constant use. I am going through about 10 oz per day. We do have some aggressive birds but when they chase off one the others quickly jump in. We are in the woods which is not good for swallows, but my one friend who lives on a lake has a lot of nesting birds this year.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Lots of swallows but the hummingbirds have not been hitting my feeder in Huntingdon county very hard. Maybe the cicadas are affecting them like an earlier poster mentioned.

We have both is south central PA. Hummingbirds were late to show up, but are hitting our feeder pretty regular. We have tree swallows. Seem to be plenty around. Follow me around when cutting the lawn late in the day, scarfing on the bugs I kick up.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
I haven’t seen a swallow in a long time, but of course, I’ve been married for nearly twenty years. I guess that’s what the internet is for.
28 years here. I'd just settle for a verbal these days.

Reactions: cment
Our neighbor a few doors down has a hummingbird feeder in their backyard. They rarely see the birds but the birds hang out a lot in my backyard. I didn't know they came in different colors but their is a spectacular lime green one that I see the most.

I'm in SW Pa. and we have plenty of both. Pretty much, to se hummers, you have to feed them 1 way or another.

Swallows. The bird of true love.
and what is the Spitz?
GettyImages-872401712-bd326b640f7d43b68620fd25d7b44071.jpg

Hummingbirds here per usual. No feeders, but plants they like around the house and against the woods.
We never see swallows here. I think they like more open habitat.
Saw a rare sight yesterday - - an Indigo Bunting.

I am in the Poconos and our humming bird feeders have lines waiting to eat. Almost constant use. I am going through about 10 oz per day. We do have some aggressive birds but when they chase off one the others quickly jump in. We are in the woods which is not good for swallows, but my one friend who lives on a lake has a lot of nesting birds this year.
How so many? I only get a couple.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT