ADVERTISEMENT

Hulu is awful

Custerdome

Aug 5, 2018
After one month of sling, which offered very little even in it's best package, I made the switch to hulu tv and GOOD GOD is it awful: Constant connection problems. It peters out after five minutes no matter what event is playing, live or otherwise. I reset my firestick from amazon, twice, to no avail as the constant connection issues continue. Also, the "live" sports are about 45 seconds BEHIND the actual action on any radio or cable tv setup.

So far I have eliminated the following:
-Sling
-Hulu

The search continues...any suggestions?

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and to one of the kids I gave a Roku. I hate to say neither alone can replace my Xfinity.

I would love to cut the cord, but am stuck with a monthly car payment for friggin TV. Hopefully someone responds with a way I don't simply replace one outrageous cable bill with a half dozen smaller bills that end up about the same in the end.

How did we ever live with a half dozen channels and no remote? Oh yeah I remember, my mom kicked us out of the house at 8:00 a.m. and we weren't seen again until dinner time.... and it was awesome. Times have changed.

You know, If you get ALL the apps available through amazon firetv, you actually don't need hulu or sling, if all you want are sports and movies. I get the ESPN app, the NBC sports app, the Fox sports go app, and a few other sports apps, and that covers all of them really. For example, this week I gotta sell my Pitt tix due to commitments, but will watch the game on the ESPN app, rather than live hulu, which will cut out every 2.2 minutes.

Get an Amazon device with PlayStation vue. Then upgrade your fire box (Google it). I still use Spectrum Internet, but Verizon will launce 5g soon. So that will eliminate the need for internet service through another source, cause your house will be a hot spot. I pay 100 for internet, plus PlayStation Vue, I use to pay 240+ for netflix, Hulu and hbo to go along with my cable, internet pacage

After one month of sling, which offered very little even in it's best package, I made the switch to hulu tv and GOOD GOD is it awful: Constant connection problems. It peters out after five minutes no matter what event is playing, live or otherwise. I reset my firestick from amazon, twice, to no avail as the constant connection issues continue. Also, the "live" sports are about 45 seconds BEHIND the actual action on any radio or cable tv setup.

-Sling
-Hulu

Just started a trial with YouTube TV, and the jury is still out. Connectivity has been pretty good but has needed to be re-established a couple times. Overall the stream for the PSU-App State game was pretty good, though for some reason I initially was fed the Iowa-NIU game and missed the first few minutes of the PSU game. That was annoying. Lag time relative to real time was maybe 30 seconds or so. I then semi-watched the Michigan-ND game and the stream was low quality (fuzzy) for much of the game. The non-live content (TV shows, etc) has had fewer issues.

So far i'd say it beats the outrageous cable bill I was paying, but it's not perfect. Depending on how things go, I may give DirectTV Now a try.

Just started a trial with YouTube TV, and the jury is still out. Connectivity has been pretty good but has needed to be re-established a couple times. Overall the stream for the PSU-App State game was pretty good, though for some reason I initially was fed the Iowa-NIU game and missed the first few minutes of the PSU game. That was annoying. Lag time relative to real time was maybe 30 seconds or so. I then semi-watched the Michigan-ND game and the stream was low quality (fuzzy) for much of the game. The non-live content (TV shows, etc) has had fewer issues.

So far i'd say it beats the outrageous cable bill I was paying, but it's not perfect. Depending on how things go, I may give DirectTV Now a try.

I'm heading to playstation vue next. I have crossed out Sling and Hulu, they failed.

I have tried Sling TV....overall I was pleased. It did not have a lot of sports channels nor local but I was able to supplement with apps and antenna for local channels (that was while I lived in the northern KY area/Cincinnati).

I have also tried Direct TV....it was ok. I had more frequent buffering issues. By this point we had moved to the southern tip of Ohio area (FYI....the girls softball team that won the little World Series is only 15 minutes from we now live). Direct TV had two local channels and some sports....comparable to Sling. Also, I was able to supplement with apps and local antenna.

We are now trying the free You Tube TV trial. Many more sports options!!! I have not had any buffering issues or fuzzy screens. Thus far, I have been very pleased with the You Tube TV.

Reactions: lionlover
Many of these services vary due to the area and the contracts they get.

I have used almost every cord cutting service available, and in my area, for a sports fan, youtubeTV is by far the best.
I have 22 channels that are dedicated to sports.

You can use your account on more than one machine/phone at a time. You can have 5 total people with their own accounts all with Unlimited DVR.
I have all my local programming.

Try the free trial, see if it is as good in your area.

As I said above it varies depending on area but I'll respond with a couple things.
PSU-App did the same to me, I think it was a BTN error not YoutubeTV.

The quality for me is always superb. I watch most of my sports on a 1080p projector, so if it's a poor feed it's very obvious. My internet speed though, is probably better than most. 500/500
Sometimes there is a live lag, sometimes it's ahead of cable. I had both for awhile due to a contract, and noticed this.
I was paying $160 for combo
now $89+ Youtube I think $30 and I have my TV everywhere I go.

I'm not a salesperson :p I just enjoy the service so far.

Edit: My ranking of services I have tried.

1. YoutubeTV
  2. Playstation Vue
  3. Cable
  4. DirectTV Now
  5. Sling
  6. Hulu
...99. Flowrestling

Last edited:
After one month of sling, which offered very little even in it's best package, I made the switch to hulu tv and GOOD GOD is it awful:?
I found it to be an amazing experience. I mean yeah, at first I was nervous, maybe even a bit uncomfortable .... but after a few drinks it was beautiful. I’d certainly recommend any couple to consider it.

Oh wait.....you said Sling....

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
As I said above it varies depending on area but I'll respond with a couple things.
PSU-App did the same to me, I think it was a BTN error not YoutubeTV.

The quality for me is always superb. I watch most of my sports on a 1080p projector, so if it's a poor feed it's very obvious. My internet speed though, is probably better than most. 500/500
Sometimes there is a live lag, sometimes it's ahead of cable. I had both for awhile due to a contract, and noticed this.
I was paying $160 for combo
now $89+ Youtube I think $30 and I have my TV everywhere I go.

I'm not a salesperson :p I just enjoy the service so far.

Edit: My ranking of services I have tried.

1. YoutubeTV
  2. Playstation Vue
  3. Cable
  4. DirectTV Now
  5. Sling
  6. Hulu
...99. Flowrestling
Thanks for the input.

I think that some of my streaming problems may be related to the internet service/speed, vice YouTube TV, as I had the legacy Time-Warner service, which I just learned is slower (30 Mbps) than the newer Spectrum service (100 Mbps) (just don't ask me why). Of course those speeds are what is coming into the house, while speeds at the wireless router are probably much less. Anyway, I'm about to "upgrade" to the 100 Mbps service and see how it goes.

Many of these services vary due to the area and the contracts they get.

I have used almost every cord cutting service available, and in my area, for a sports fan, youtubeTV is by far the best.
I have 22 channels that are dedicated to sports.

You can use your account on more than one machine/phone at a time. You can have 5 total people with their own accounts all with Unlimited DVR.
I have all my local programming.

Try the free trial, see if it is as good in your area.

Youtube TV best for me for sports. Unlimited DVR storage and flawless streaming sports at 60fps. Has BTN. Has all my locals. Cant be more excited about this great service.

Who possibly has more experience and expertise streaming high quality video online? Who possibly has the most leverage to maintain and procure the best programming value? The answer is Google (You Tube).

If your spouse whines or you want a fuller channel package, add Philo’s 16.00 per month package. You’ll have it all for 56.00 per month.

Last edited:

-Sling
-Hulu

I used to have Sling too. That was amatuer hour. Youtube TV is the best value in terms of:
  1. Stability of platform (Very few interruptions, if any) in delivering content
  2. Content option is good if you like sports
  3. Cost: $40.00 (plus taxes) per month
  4. Strong DVR (Unlimited recordings for 9 months)
  5. I access on higher end ROKU device which gives me the highest speed transfer rate (99 bucks? I don't exactly remember)
Direct TV NOW is interesting if you bundle with your AT&T phone there are some additional cost savings and usage flexibility. However, their DVR is a Beta program and significantly less robust than Youtube TV.

I also got the Iowa game at first. That was the only time that happened to me. I don't know if that was strictly youtube's fault.

The quality of my youtube has been terrific. Then again, my Roku device is qualified to obtain 4k content. I don't have a 4K TV. But, the end result is that:

1) I rarely get buffering.
2) The quality of video is better than it was when I was using my cable box. I am thinking that the higher end ROKU device is "upscaling" the content I am receiving.
3) I was going to try DirectTV Now but the "Beta DVR" was a show stopper for me.

If you do go DirectTV Now, please check in and let me know how you like it. I value your input more than most.

what is a high end roku device? Could you pinpoint it so I can buy it on amazon? I mean, what is the name and brand of the device?

I used to have Sling too. That was amatuer hour. Youtube TV is the best value in terms of:
  1. Stability of platform (Very few interruptions, if any) in delivering content
  2. Content option is good if you like sports
  3. Cost: $40.00 (plus taxes) per month
  4. Strong DVR (Unlimited recordings for 9 months)
  5. I access on higher end ROKU device which gives me the highest speed transfer rate (99 bucks? I don't exactly remember)
Direct TV NOW is interesting if you bundle with your AT&T phone there are some additional cost savings and usage flexibility. However, their DVR is a Beta program and significantly less robust than Youtube TV.
Do you happen to know your upload and download speeds in your house? And, are you hard-wired to all devices you are running YT tv on?

I would guess he is referring to the Roku Ultra. I have the standard Roku, and two Chromecast Ultras.
Chromecast Ultra is also 4k and is $69 vs $99 for Roku Ultra

Edit:
Each person's setup is unique, if you only use a single TV perhaps switching to a device with Roku built in is better.
For those interested, here is a great deal on a 49" 4K with Roku Promo code EE50 = $269

Last edited:
Do you happen to know your upload and download speeds in your house? And, are you hard-wired to all devices you are running YT tv on?
Excellent questions.

1) I have standard Comcast/Xfinity internet. But, I have never gauged the actual speed.

2) My TV is hardwired. But, I also watch TV on my Tablet which is wireless. I experience no difference with respect to buffering/lag time, etc.

Excellent questions.

1) I have standard Comcast/Xfinity internet. But, I have never gauged the actual speed.

2) My TV is hardwired. But, I also watch TV on my Tablet which is wireless. I experience no difference with respect to buffering/lag time, etc.
If you get a chance, this is super easy at www.speedtest.net. Go to the site, click Go and wait 30 seconds. It'll run a download, then an upload and give the results. I'm interested because my ISP choices and speeds are limited, but am thinking I might want to try out YT TV.

If you get a chance, this is super easy at www.speedtest.net. Go to the site, click Go and wait 30 seconds. It'll run a download, then an upload and give the results. I'm interested because my ISP choices and speeds are limited, but am thinking I might want to try out YT TV.

That was easy! Thanks.

Download: 72.25 MPS
Upload: 6.06 MPS

On a scale from 1-10 with one (1) being the worst, how would you rate those speeds? Thanks again!

what is a high end roku device? Could you pinpoint it so I can buy it on amazon? I mean, what is the name and brand of the device?

That was easy! Thanks.

On a scale from 1-10 with one (1) being the worst, how would you rate those speeds? Thanks again!
Hard to measure 1-10.
Your Down speed is above average I would say, which is what you use to stream Netflix or Youtube.tv. As long as they don't throttle those services (Net Neutrality) and I believe Comcast is guilty of that.
Your Up speed is below average but many people don't care about that unless you play video games or run Plex server.

That was easy! Thanks.

Yeah, so that's good for you, but doesn't help me. :(

Unfortunately, in my area, I am limited to two ISPs and they both max out at 25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. So, on a scale of 1-10, compared to mine, you get a 10. I think most people would consider residential service at 72 to be pretty good.

I can stream movies and sporting events across my wifi to my laptop and not suffer any ill effects (yes, even Flo). I just don't know if YT TV sucks up any more bandwidth and would create issues if we had four or five devices on the internet at one time. Then, again, I guess I could just tell the family to get off their devices, because I've got stuff to watch.

Thanks for checking!

Hard to measure 1-10.
Your Down speed is above average I would say, which is what you use to stream Netflix or Youtube.tv. As long as they don't throttle those services (Net Neutrality) and I believe Comcast is guilty of that.
Your Up speed is below average but many people don't care about that unless you play video games or run Plex server.
Thanks!

Yeah, so that's good for you, but doesn't help me. :(

Unfortunately, in my area, I am limited to two ISPs and they both max out at 25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. So, on a scale of 1-10, compared to mine, you get a 10. I think most people would consider residential service at 72 to be pretty good.

I can stream movies and sporting events across my wifi to my laptop and not suffer any ill effects (yes, even Flo). I just don't know if YT TV sucks up any more bandwidth and would create issues if we had four or five devices on the internet at one time. Then, again, I guess I could just tell the family to get off their devices, because I've got stuff to watch.

Thanks for checking!
Hmmm, that's odd. 25 mbits isn't going to win any races, but it is the low end of 4K for my Plex.
My dad is in a small rural town and highest speed available is 5 mbit, he streams Netflix, Youtube.tv, and Prime. It takes awhile for the video to begin, but once it does he has very few issues.
As I said in an earlier post, it's possible that you are being throttled to youtube. If a service doesn't pay the ransom your ISP demands they could be throttling speeds to the service. This is why so many people fought to keep Net Neutrality....
Have you tried a couple browsers? Firefox or Chrome? Try hard line and see if that improves anything?

Hmmm, that's odd. 25 mbits isn't going to win any races, but it is the low end of 4K for my Plex.
My dad is in a small rural town and highest speed available is 5 mbit, he streams Netflix, Youtube.tv, and Prime. It takes awhile for the video to begin, but once it does he has very few issues.
As I said in an earlier post, it's possible that you are being throttled to youtube. If a service doesn't pay the ransom your ISP demands they could be throttling speeds to the service. This is why so many people fought to keep Net Neutrality....
Have you tried a couple browsers? Firefox or Chrome? Try hard line and see if that improves anything?
I think you have answered my question, despite the confusion I created.

My point about "doesn't help me" wasn't that I can't currently stream with my 25 Mbps. It was that knowing he has good internet speed didn't answer my question. I can stream Netflix, Flo or other internet content without any issue. My question was more along the line of whether Youtube TV sucks up more bandwidth than those do, and whether that might create issues. But, if your Dad can run Youtube TV at 5 Mbps, then at 25, it shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, as to your browser question. The only time I had/have browser issues is with Flo. Trying to run Firefox, with Adblocker+ in the background was a painful experience. I switched to Chrome or IE and both run fine.

Thanks!

I think you have answered my question, despite the confusion I created.

My point about "doesn't help me" wasn't that I can't currently stream with my 25 Mbps. It was that knowing he has good internet speed didn't answer my question. I can stream Netflix, Flo or other internet content without any issue. My question was more along the line of whether Youtube TV sucks up more bandwidth than those do, and whether that might create issues. But, if your Dad can run Youtube TV at 5 Mbps, then at 25, it shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, as to your browser question. The only time I had/have browser issues is with Flo. Trying to run Firefox, with Adblocker+ in the background was a painful experience. I switched to Chrome or IE and both run fine.

Thanks!

I often hoped, asked, wondered out loud if flo, BTN, etc should put out repeated PR about how to optimize their service.

So many people have crappy ISPs, crapping equipment they are using, arent in the know about tech, and on and on. That Flo, track, etc get a lot of undeserved crap. But i have yet to see PR on this level and so I guess they get what they earn so to speak.

I often hoped, asked, wondered out loud if flo, BTN, etc should put out repeated PR about how to optimize their service.

So many people have crappy ISPs, crapping equipment they are using, arent in the know about tech, and on and on. That Flo, track, etc get a lot of undeserved crap. But i have yet to see PR on this level and so I guess they get what they earn so to speak.
There as SO many variables. Such a campaign would have many folks saying "WTF, why is this so complicated, I'm not paying." Instead, people pay, then realize it isn't working and get mad.

For what it's worth, speedtest.net is underwritten by the major ISPs, and often yields more optimistic than reality results, in my experience. If you live in Pennsylvania, you can get more accurate results while simultaneously helping Penn State researches map broadband speed statewide, by going to broadbandtest.us

Broadbandtest gave me download of 95.67 and upload of 11.32

Speedsmart app gave me 296.89 and 12.96, pretty much the same with the speedtest app.

Pretty different...

There as SO many variables. Such a campaign would have many folks saying "WTF, why is this so complicated, I'm not paying." Instead, people pay, then realize it isn't working and get mad.

For what it's worth, speedtest.net is underwritten by the major ISPs, and often yields more optimistic than reality results, in my experience. If you live in Pennsylvania, you can get more accurate results while simultaneously helping Penn State researches map broadband speed statewide, by going to broadbandtest.us
I just ran each five times.
Broadbandtest.us gave me 1.68, 19.52, 3.03, 2.10 and 4.55
Speedtest gave between 23 and 25 each time.

What would cause a ten-fold difference within the five tests? Can I get any money back from my ISP since I'm paying for 25Mbps?

What would cause a ten-fold difference within the five tests? Can I get any money back from my ISP since I'm paying for 25Mbps?

You could but after net neutrality was ended they all died

#soiwastold
#soitmustbe

I've learned over the years to take any speed test worth a grain of salt. Speeds can vary greatly for many reasons, routing being a large one in the international scheme. One server in your route can cause slow speeds. When testing the true speed of any of the servers I have used/rented I download a large file with several threads. This will maximize the servers download speed.
However, this doesn't help with throttling, throttling is becoming more common and is difficult to pinpoint.
My cellular provider (US cellular) throttles me, and not my wife, I am on the unlimited plan she is not. They didn't clarify this, but there isn't anything we can do. Except switch to another carrier that does even worse crap.

Your issue with Youtube.tv could be bad routing in your area to youtube's servers. Could be a memory issue.
I don't use Windows all the time, but if I do, the first thing I do is hide anything and everything related to IE.

Reactions: nerfstate

I also just learned that they're working on rolling out upgrades to broadbandtest.us, and the last day or two has impacted it's performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT