ADVERTISEMENT

HS girls basketball coach suspended after winning a game 92-4.

I assume Sacred Heart is private. Anyone know if the other school is? Stories like this make me so mad. The other coach should be suspended for the season for their team sucking so bad.

Reactions: unclewill
This is high school coaching gone too far. Places the have "Academy" in the name typically recruit. High school athletics has wildly large swings in talent levels, any coach worth a damn will know this and act accordingly.

Here is the drill:
High School Level = It's the coaches job to not run it up on clearly inferior opposition.
College Level = It's your job to stop the other team, but running it up shouldn't be rewarded.
Pro Level = Anything goes.

Running it up is about talent levels. When your team is clearly far superior to the opposition you are gaining nothing by running it up. If you think it's great to shut your 8 year old out in a game of hoops in the driveway, then you're kind of a lowlife. Anyone in coaching at any level should understand this basic fundamental or they shouldn't coach.

I assume Sacred Heart is private. Anyone know if the other school is? Stories like this make me so mad. The other coach should be suspended for the season for their team sucking so bad.
Agree---wonder if they have a mercy rule. I know PA is now 30 in the 2nd half. Here are scores from a single A team that 2 years ago was a district runner up- 61-, 48-6, 48-5,51-6.... all losses---oh they beat someone 42-9. Its hard to tell kids to stop playing. And when a JV squad is still beating another varsity that bad what can you do. I mean if you are still pressing you need to be fired but other then that what can you do. Hold the ball?

Reactions: bison13
Agree---wonder if they have a mercy rule. I know PA is now 30 in the 2nd half. Here are scores from a single A team that 2 years ago was a district runner up- 61-, 48-6, 48-5,51-6.... all losses---oh they beat someone 42-9. Its hard to tell kids to stop playing. And when a JV squad is still beating another varsity that bad what can you do. I mean if you are still pressing you need to be fired but other then that what can you do. Hold the ball?
whoever does the schedules should be the ones under the microscope.

whoever does the schedules should be the ones under the microscope.
Its a good point. However, i will say that a lot of teams are scrambling for opponents with the outbreak of COVID. I know my daughter's teams have been moving opponents in and out of their schedule due to cancellations. Secondly, it could be the league. These teams play each other once a year and this year represents a huge imbalance. Finally, it takes two to tango. If approached about a game, nobody has to take that game.

Reactions: bison13
High school sports is too dynamic and their isn't enough information on opponents from week to week like higher level sports.
Coaches and AD's have to act on the fly a lot of times including understanding the level of competition you are playing 5 minutes into the game. AD's aren't trying to build schedules like a college football team, there are trying to fulfill the requisites to complete a schedule per the league they are a part of.

If you and your team go home feeling good about beating a team 92-4, it might not be the opponent that is the problem. Nobody wins in that scenario.

High school sports is too dynamic and their isn't enough information on opponents from week to week like higher level sports.
Coaches and AD's have to act on the fly a lot of times including understanding the level of competition you are playing 5 minutes into the game. AD's aren't trying to build schedules like a college football team, there are trying to fulfill the requisites to complete a schedule per the league they are a part of.

If you and your team go home feeling good about beating a team 92-4, it might not be the opponent that is the problem. Nobody wins in that scenario.
I agree. When you are winning 80-0 at halftime, you've got to check yourself. No need to run a full-court press. Just dribble the ball until the shot clock is running out and take a shot.

I agree. When you are winning 80-0 at halftime, you've got to check yourself. No need to run a full-court press. Just dribble the ball until the shot clock is running out and take a shot.

This was the game where the superior team should never have pressed one time, played a passive 5-in-the-paint D, walked the ball up-the-court and given their 5 worst players the majority of playing time…..and it still would seem they could / would have won in a blowout score.

To the extent that someone should be fired, it is the AD for scheduling a team like this. If you are going to run this kind of program, be judicious in your scheduling.

This was the game where the superior team should never have pressed one time, played a passive 5-in-the-paint D, walked the ball up-the-court and given their 5 worst players the majority of playing time…..and it still would seem they could / would have won in a blowout score.
Why even play the game. It does no good for anyone doing that except playing bench players. Game should never be scheduled.

A friend of mine that coached girls basketball stopped pressing once they were up by 20 points. I could live with that being a rule.

I have seen this happen in the distant past-someone very close to me was given the task of coaching a girls team that was in transition from having lost all their starters. Got whacked by the best team in the league 92-11 or thereabouts! Not much was said as this was back in the 1970s but I have never forgotten the feelings associated with that experience!

Reactions: Obliviax
In SEPA a number of years ago we had a very successful basketball program that had a very successful coach who decided to go to Nolan Richardson's "40 minutes of hell" style. He played his core rotation as much as he could for the full game to "get them in shape" for the state tourney. They were leading our team by 40 points in the 4th quarter and we had our end of the bench scrubs in. One of their top players- who would end up playing both football and basketball at a PSAC school- went in for a dunk and their team/ crowd and his parents especially were cheering like mad. If I were our 6'5 baseball pitcher/ back up to the back up center who saw him coming down the lane I would've flattened his ass for being such a show off prick- if not on the dunk- certainly on the next opportunity. Luckily our player had more sense than me.

After the game their coach "apologized" to ours saying "sorry for running it up but I'm just getting my boys ready." I rooted against him and his program ever since- and was glad they lost in the state tourney. I'm all for trying to win- but in this case his players- three of which played college sports- could've been injured by inferior players either intentionally or unintentionally. To me- his decision to keep up the press was inexcusable- and if a player got hurt- it would be on him. That coach is retired now- and the program has not been up to his standard since- so obviously he was good at what he did- but in my opinion put his kids during that era at undue risk.

In SEPA a number of years ago we had a very successful basketball program that had a very successful coach who decided to go to Nolan Richardson's "40 minutes of hell" style. He played his core rotation as much as he could for the full game to "get them in shape" for the state tourney. They were leading our team by 40 points in the 4th quarter and we had our end of the bench scrubs in. One of their top players- who would end up playing both football and basketball at a PSAC school- went in for a dunk and their team/ crowd and his parents especially were cheering like mad. If I were our 6'5 baseball pitcher/ back up to the back up center who saw him coming down the lane I would've flattened his ass for being such a show off prick- if not on the dunk- certainly on the next opportunity. Luckily our player had more sense than me.

After the game their coach "apologized" to ours saying "sorry for running it up but I'm just getting my boys ready." I rooted against him and his program ever since- and was glad they lost in the state tourney. I'm all for trying to win- but in this case his players- three of which played college sports- could've been injured by inferior players either intentionally or unintentionally. To me- his decision to keep up the press was inexcusable- and if a player got hurt- it would be on him. That coach is retired now- and the program has not been up to his standard since- so obviously he was good at what he did- but in my opinion put his kids during that era at undue risk.
There was a time long ago I refereed. There were times where if a coach was pressing with starters in up a lot in the 4th qtr my whistle went crazy.

Last edited:
I had posted a similar case with the PSU Women's team earlier this season. The other team had 6, yes 6, girls in the gym for the game. I don't want to be mean but let's just say the talent level wasn't there. The game was out of hand by the first quarter, but the PSU women kept the press on and the starters in until almost the fourth quarter. I don't remember what the final score was, but I think it was something like a 60 point difference. I don't blame the players, they were just doing what they were told to do but I really thought that showed a lack of class on the part of the PSU coach.

He actually wasn't getting his boys ready he was doing them more harm than good. I coached basketball for almost 20 years and won a lot of games and when you get to the Elite 8 final four or whatever all of those teams are good enough to rip through your press no matter how good you are. I had a team that made it to the state championship game a few years back and we were full court pressing for the first half of just about every game in the regular season but we always played at least some part of the game where are we played a zone or just solid half court man-to-man because when you get far enough in the playoffs that's what you have to do.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT