ADVERTISEMENT

How precisely does the bushleague b1g not make a comment about the BLATANT result-changing non-call in scUM-Illinois game?

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Especially given the public comments made by BB. I would demand an explanation on that BLATANT non-call given the situation - 4th-&-3 at ILL 45, no timeouts remaining for scUM and only 47 seconds remaining after play (i.e., scUM is 4th-&-18 at their own 40 and 47 seconds remaining with no timeouts if the BEYOND OBVIOUS patently illegal OPI is called). That beyond egregious non-call was clearly result changing, how does this homer bushleague Conference remain silent??? Look at how many National Media stories there are on the topic - just embarrassing that this corrupt Conference has not said a word or issued an apology to Illinois.

Especially given the public comments made by BB. I would demand an explanation on that BLATANT non-call given the situation - 4th-&-3 at ILL 45, no timeouts remaining for scUM and only 47 seconds remaining after play (i.e., scUM is 4th-&-18 at their own 40 and 47 seconds remaining with no timeouts if the BEYOND OBVIOUS patently illegal OPI is called). That beyond egregious non-call was clearly result changing, how does this homer bushleague Conference remain silent??? Look at how many National Media stories there are on the topic - just embarrassing that this corrupt Conference has not said a word or issued an apology to Illinois.
Now you listen to the media lmao

Reactions: PSU_Nut
I see three stories about BB whining about it but otherwise nothing.

I see three stories about BB whining about it but otherwise nothing.
Big Ten Network actually pointed out two obviously blown calls and a third questionable one on the Final Drive show.

(the OPI, the non-catch and the DPI).

The catch that wasn't a catch would have hurt Michigan (not a first down, no timeouts) but they stopped the clock to review it, so it probably helped them more than if it had been called correctly on the field (and it was still called incorrectly after review).

The missed OPI was bad. Really bad.

Big Ten Network actually pointed out two obviously blown calls and a third questionable one on the Final Drive show.

(the OPI, the non-catch and the DPI).

The catch that wasn't a catch would have hurt Michigan (not a first down, no timeouts) but they stopped the clock to review it, so it probably helped them more than if it had been called correctly on the field (and it was still called incorrectly after review).

The missed OPI was bad. Really bad.
If called correctly, the catch that was not a catch would have been incomplete stopping the clock, so no, that was actually a worse situation for Michigan since the clock ran for a few extra seconds. This is not the play to make the point / there was a lot more that was far worse.

Reactions: LandoComando
Great rant. Bushwood Comment of the Week Nominee!👐👐👐

The Apology will come with the 60 million dollar check they get at the end of the year like every other Big10 school, welcome to the club Burt.

If called correctly, the catch that was not a catch would have been incomplete stopping the clock, so no, that was actually a worse situation for Michigan since the clock ran for a few extra seconds. This is not the play to make the point / there was a lot more that was far worse.
They effectively got a time out though, because the review took 60+ seconds.

I think a timeout is more valuable at that point to the few extra seconds they lost.

They effectively got a time out though, because the review took 60+ seconds.

I think a timeout is more valuable at that point to the few extra seconds they lost.
They didn’t need a TO - they were going to kick a FG in a play or two anyway. Come on - you are better than this. There were several other plays to make your point, this one cheapens your argument.

BTW / I hate Michigan, but in this case I was pulling for them hoping that things fall into place for a Rose Bid.

Reactions: LandoComando
BTW / I hate Michigan, but in this case I was pulling for them hoping that things fall into place for a Rose Bid.
This is the part I don't understand--Michigan winning was good for Penn State--why is anyone mad?

Cro
Crooked to the core…nothing new here.

I watched some of the game up until about halftime. Illinois was flagged for holding on a big play for them not long before halftime. After watching the replay I did not see holding and the announcers said they didn’t see it either. At that point, I quit watching.

This is the part I don't understand--Michigan winning was good for Penn State--why is anyone mad?
Because we know these types of calls are still being made. I don't believe it will benefit PSU. I know the Rose Bowl argument, but I havent see one of these Big10 things ever benefit PSU. Next time it will be a call against us, again.

Reactions: PSU Soupy and Jerry
If michigan needed referee help to beat Illinois, I doubt they will beat Ohio state.

The ball hitting the ground reminded me of the referee gift catch ohio state got against us.

No one benefits from illinois winning that game.

Not even Illinois.

LdN

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I completely disagree with this take. PSU will NEVER rise above its current 3rd place status with UM and OSU winning games. When will we learn!?!? Those two teams are the ENEMY of Penn State in every sport, but especially football. We need them to LOSE, always, every game, every season! Them winning is never “good for Penn State“, except when they play each other, and we hope for the team whose victory would benefit PSU (like OSU beating UM in 2016, which enabled us to win the conference).

We want UM and OSU to go into their damn “Game” 0-11!

It is not just the Big 10. The combination of system of 4 play off spots for 5 conferences. the money involved and each conference having their own officials has corrupted the entire game.

Look at the TCU Baylor game where TCU was gifted a TD in an third and goal end zone PI call on a pass that was at least 5 yards out of bounds if not more.

Go back a few weeks to the Clemson Syracuse game and how Syracuse got hosed by the ACC officials.

Don't even get me started on the SEC.

These are not all coincidental. It is a product of the current system.

Yeah, cheering on cheating and fixing games is good for Penn State. No need to publicize this outright theft. No need to reform the corrupt league. Just let them keep cheating for years as long as it helps our strength of schedule and get into one bowl game this year.

I completely disagree with this take. PSU will NEVER rise above its current 3rd place status with UM and OSU winning games. When will we learn!?!? Those two teams are the ENEMY of Penn State in every sport, but especially football. We need them to LOSE, always, every game, every season! Them winning is never “good for Penn State“, except when they play each other, and we hope for the team whose victory would benefit PSU (like OSU beating UM in 2016, which enabled us to win the conference).

We want UM and OSU to go into their damn “Game” 0-11!
This is the mindset of someone that still thinks we're an independent honestly

Yeah, cheering on cheating and fixing games is good for Penn State. No need to publicize this outright theft. No need to reform the corrupt league. Just let them keep cheating for years as long as it helps our strength of schedule and get into one bowl game this year.
This is where we disagree. If everyone truly believes that is "cheating" or "outright theft" they're blind.
And it's not about our SOS--it's about 2 Big Ten teams being in the playoff sending us to the Rose
Literally Michigan and Ohio State winning unless they're playing us is good for us. Just like Michigan and Ohio State are thrilled we have 10 wins (or will have 10)

This is where we disagree. If everyone truly believes that is "cheating" or "outright theft" they're blind.
And it's not about our SOS--it's about 2 Big Ten teams being in the playoff sending us to the Rose
Literally Michigan and Ohio State winning unless they're playing us is good for us. Just like Michigan and Ohio State are thrilled we have 10 wins (or will have 10)
So you don’t see any neEd to reform and improve the officiating?

Reactions: sdwcpa
I think officiating needs to improve at all levels of football
I think the NCAA should have officials and not the conference
But you said "cheating" and "outright theft" which is false. Calls are going to be missed. The speed of the game is too fast in all honesty and that contributes to some missed calls.
I still have no issue at all with any call in the Michigan-Illinois game. None. And I still believe people are just mad about 2019 against Minnesota and aren't being rational.

This is the mindset of someone that still thinks we're an independent honestly
Respectfully disagree, and intensely. I want PSU to OWN this conference, as we do in wrestling. There are 2 ways for that to happen:

1., the preferred way, is to beat UM and OSU;

2. Is for UM and OSU to LOSE more games.

a combo of 1 and 2 would be ideal. Since Franklin is incapable of engineering 1, I’ll take 2. Never hope for good things to happen for UM and OSU. Their success is at PSU’s expense. Embrace that concept, or accept 3rd place in perpetuity.

Respectfully disagree, and intensely. I want PSU to OWN this conference, as we do in wrestling. There are 2 ways for that to happen:

1., the preferred way, is to beat UM and OSU;

2. Is for UM and OSU to LOSE more games.

a combo of 1 and 2 would be ideal. Since Franklin is incapable of engineering 1, I’ll take 2. Never hope for good things to happen for UM and OSU. Their success is at PSU’s expense. Embrace that concept, or accept 3rd place in perpetuity.
Focus on 1. Needing teams to be worse isn't making us better. The goal is for us to improve and be on their level not for them to fade and the Big Ten becomes the ACC. That's the last thing we want

I won't even get into wrestling

Reactions: maypole
I focus on 1 like a laser - but Nittany Nation does not. “We could go 10-2”! Sure, but 0-2 in the first 2 success metrics - again.

I want PSU to be King of this conference; as history teaches us, when the current occupant of the throne has no intention of abdicating, they must be weakened, and then when vulnerable, overthrown. UM and OSU losing more games weakens them. PSU then may actually start beating them, and take the throne.

that is the objective, and I’m not going to care how it is achieved. We get better, they get worse, Conference turns into the ACC, whichever and in whatever order. End result: PSU rules the BIG!

Reactions: CbusLion10
I focus on 1 like a laser - but Nittany Nation does not. “We could go 10-2”! Sure, but 0-2 in the first 2 success metrics - again.

I want PSU to be King of this conference; as history teaches us, when the current occupant of the throne has no intention of abdicating, they must be weakened, and then when vulnerable, overthrown. UM and OSU losing more games weakens them. PSU then may actually start beating them, and take the throne.

that is the objective, and I’m not going to care how it is achieved. We get better, they get worse, Conference turns into the ACC, whichever and in whatever order. End result: PSU rules the BIG!
So you want to be the smartest kid on the short bus instead of being able to win national titles...cute

They didn’t need a TO - they were going to kick a FG in a play or two anyway. Come on - you are better than this. There were several other plays to make your point, this one cheapens your argument.

That pass was completed to the Illini 49 yard line. They were not yet in FG range (even for their good kicker).

This was not the worst of the calls -- that occurred 3 plays later when the OPI on 4th and 3 was missed. If that is called it becomes 4th and 18. Very unlikely UM converts that.

So you want to be the smartest kid on the short bus instead of being able to win national titles...cute
We aren’t able to win national titles, and there is no guarantee we ever will, expanded playoffs or not. We control if we win the conference. That is the objective, because that is up to us. I have no faith in the selection for the playoffs, no matter how they are constructed. Clemson is example one where your focus is suboptimal. Their conference sux compared to the BIG, and they’ve made the playoffs numerous times. Why wouldn’t the same apply to a BIG conference champ even if the BIG was weak?

Im a PSU alum, and a fan since the mid 70s. I hope for PSU success, not our enemies’ success. If you can’t understand that, we’ll, I can’t help you. Each to his own, I suppose.

That pass was completed to the Illini 49 yard line. They were not yet in FG range (even for their good kicker).

This was not the worst of the calls -- that occurred 3 plays later when the OPI on 4th and 3 was missed. If that is called it becomes 4th and 18. Very unlikely UM converts that.

Are you ready to admit you are absolutely wrong about the play we are discussing??

The play that was reviewed that should have been incomplete was a couple of plays after the pick play and was 2nd down snapped from the Illinois 22 yard line with 40 seconds left to play. It was incomplete with approx 34 seconds left to play. The next snap (3rd down) from the 17 yard line with about 16 seconds left. So the review error, not only being wrong, actually cost MI about 17 seconds of game time. They were going to spike the ball at that point anyway, but the review allowed them to line up and, “stupidly” throw a risky pass that was deflected and fell incomplete.

We are in agreement about the pick play that occurred 3 or 4 plays EARLIER.

Edit: Puck to Pick

It is not just the Big 10. The combination of system of 4 play off spots for 5 conferences. the money involved and each conference having their own officials has corrupted the entire game.

Look at the TCU Baylor game where TCU was gifted a TD in an third and goal end zone PI call on a pass that was at least 5 yards out of bounds if not more.

Go back a few weeks to the Clemson Syracuse game and how Syracuse got hosed by the ACC officials.

Don't even get me started on the SEC.

These are not all coincidental. It is a product of the current system.

Agreed, but it's particularly bad in the Big-10 and pre-dates the current playoff system.

Beyond the CFP, which as you point out creates a clear conflict of interest between the principle of fair officiating and the fact that the zebras are paid by a conference which has a big financial stake in the outcome of certain games late in the year, our league has the added long-time factor of two Sacred Cows and their Sacred Game.

I really think the answer here is a national system of refs not affiliated with conferences who are paid well every season to travel as necessary to call games in which they don't have any interest other than fair and accurate officiating. This won't eliminate bad calls. Just look at the NFL. But it will greatly reduce the suspicions and tensions associated with the inherent conflicts of interest in the current system.

Yeah, I know, a pipedream...

Yes, but don't see it happening in the BIG. This is why Penn State should leave the BIG10 and go to the ACC. In the ACC you would get the absolute best officiating and Penn State I feel, would absolutely dominate the conference even in basketball. Penn State has to think about the future and the cheating BIG10 is not it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT