ADVERTISEMENT

How much will Alabama want to take Franklin?

And you certainly used the news about Saban retiring to find a new way to rip Franklin. Speaking of BS, do you stay up at night to come up with it?
The truth hurts, eh?

Alabama has had its share of coaching failures, they just haven't been stupid enough to extend them for 10 years. They know the difference between a pretender and a performer.

Bad enough that PS is stuck with pretender, you go out of your way to defend him.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Consider the ripple effect of someone like Sark or Lanning going to Bama. Bama probably has no interest in Franklin but other schools might.
I think when you finally get to the schools that would have interest in Franklin he would not be interested in them because the PSU gig is better or relatively equal. I think he punches way below his pay grade. These ADs doing the hiring are not dumb and they see Franklin tends to do less with better talent than most schools.

All these schools if there was an opening would pass on him....Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon. Washington. USC, Bama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, Tennessee. I think the best programs where he would get a consideration are FSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss. UCLA, Iowa, Florida.

I'll play.

I am content with 10 win seasons. It is better than joes career average. There have also been two 11 win seasons. They can get over the hump just like Harbaugh who you were mocking.

Peterson was beating teams with 4*talent? 4* talent in tge WAC? 0-1 vs psu.

Honest question using YOUR question. Was Joe beating teams with equal talent? Did Temple, rutgers, wvu, army, navy, airforce, bc, Maryland, random Mac school. EVER have equal telent? Did you use your lame talent level comparison then? Why did Joe have a losing record vs osu and um?

You need a couple 4-8 , 5-7 seasons with a new coach for a reality check. Get back to me when rhule wins his first top 10 game.
Joe bested the toughest schedule in the nation during his long tenure. He won more games against top competition, on the road in one year than Frankin did in his entire career. So there is that.

I'll play.

I am content with 10 win seasons. It is better than joes career average. There have also been two 11 win seasons. They can get over the hump just like Harbaugh who you were mocking.

Honest question using YOUR question. Was Joe beating teams with equal talent? Did Temple, rutgers, wvu, army, navy, airforce, bc, Maryland, random Mac school. EVER have equal telent? Did you use your lame talent level comparison then? Why did Joe have a losing record vs osu and um?

You need a couple 4-8 , 5-7 seasons with a new coach for a reality check. Get back to me when rhule wins his first top 10 game.
Joe won big games. He was the best coach in college football for at least a decade and a half and won two nattys. He did it without ever breaking any rules and producing teams who had real student athletes that had strong academic records. Many of his contemporaries were doing NIL before it was legal and didn't care if all their players took basket weaving and never graduated.

By the time he got in the B10 he was getting old and by the late 90s he was over 70 and should have retired so stop comparing the Joe of the late 90s into the 2000s and saying "see Joe wasn't any better." He was old and not what he was. In his prime he would coach circles around Franklin and you know it.

Franklin does not win big games. Period. He just does not. How many years do we have to sit here and watch him do an 0 fer vs OSU and Michigan yet sure as stink on sh## his fat ass paycheck of roughly $350K every 2 weeks gets deposited into his account. Think about how much money that is.. every 2 weeks his paycheck is $350K!! For what? So we can lose all of our critical games? What a joke! Talk about grossly overpaid.

Saban was 34-24-1 at Sparty.
Sometimes a good coach isn't enough to raise up an average school. That's why coaches leave for "better" jobs. If Saban thought he could win a natty at MSU, he would have probably stayed.
The question you should be asking is how any coach's team performs against opponents of comparable/better talent.

You may remember Chris Petersen at Boise St. His rosters of 2-3* players competed well with teams of 4* players. He was a good coach who made sound football players and put them in positions to be successful through strategy and play calling.
JF, while he does so many things right (recruiting, comms, politics) wins games on talent, and has throughout his time at PSU, struggled against teams of comparable talent. I think his lone upset may be OSU in 2016 that featured the infamous FG block and Grant Haley return for a TD. JF has also struggled at times against average, but well-coached teams.

Rhule performed well at Temple. I think most would say his time at Baylor was successful, but I'm not in a position to judge the quality of his roster vs the losses to OK, etc. With Carolina in the NFL, who the heck knows. COVID + a franchise in disarray. It's possible that Rhule is a successful mid-level HC (See Schiano) but is not capable of winning at the upper echelon.

I'm not a Franklin hater, but do offer an honest assessment and criticism of his performance over the last 10 seasons. @voltz99 , tell us all this, since you are an enthusiastic defended of JF and take a condescending tone with anyone that points out his record against his peer/near peer coaches/schools - Are you satisfied with JF's performance? Are you okay with generally not being competitive against teams with similar rankings? Many on this board used to mock Harbaugh for making $8M and finishing 3rd in the east every year. That comment hasn't aged well. So let's be real. It seems like you are content. 9-10 win seasons. Low expectations of beating OSU-Mich (and probably USC, Oregon, Washington) and moving forward, a likely away game in the CFP where we are also not very competitive. Is that it? Is that contentment for you? Do you not think PSU is capable of more? Honest questions.

And since you like to bring up Paterno, let's discuss - Joe Paterno certainly had his faults, but he was capable of getting over the hump ... 2-2 in MNC games (and obviously robbed in '94), and 5 undefeated seasons, so he gets some grace. Even in his 70s, and after the dark years, he managed B1G titles in 2005(#3 ranking) and 2008(#8 ranking). Honest question - Do you see anything from JF that indicates he is likely to have 1 undefeated season, let alone multiple?

Appreciate the conversation.
Post of the year!! Starting rankings right now #1 Objective-Pragmatic-Insightful

Joe won big games. He was the best coach in college football for at least a decade and a half and won two nattys. He did it without ever breaking any rules and producing teams who had real student athletes that had strong academic records. Many of his contemporaries were doing NIL before it was legal and didn't care if all their players took basket weaving and never graduated.

By the time he got in the B10 he was getting old and by the late 90s he was over 70 and should have retired so stop comparing the Joe of the late 90s into the 2000s and saying "see Joe wasn't any better." He was old and not what he was. In his prime he would coach circles around Franklin and you know it.

Franklin does not win big games. Period. He just does not. How many years do we have to sit here and watch him do an 0 fer vs OSU and Michigan yet sure as stink on sh## his fat ass paycheck of roughly $350K every 2 weeks gets deposited into his account. Think about how much money that is.. every 2 weeks his paycheck is $350K!! For what? So we can lose all of our critical games? What a joke! Talk about grossly overpaid.
Yep, 1000%. But, u know Voltz, he is a total JF fanboy who can't take any criticism of his guy. Must be on JF's payroll or something.

Reactions: Psubiomed
The truth hurts, eh?

Alabama has had its share of coaching failures, they just haven't been stupid enough to extend them for 10 years. They know the difference between a pretender and a performer.

Bad enough that PS is stuck with pretender, you go out of your way to defend him.
Bama’s coaching “failures” were quite different than what you’re saying ours is…three coaches in 10 years with multiple losing seasons and 6-6 seasons isn’t exactly like what you consider a failure is for us.

Franklins agent sure is earning his money but this time no one is falling for it - him to "Bama yeah right.
+1. He was high on the "short list" for USC and LSU during his last contract negotiation. Believed by some.

Franklins agent sure is earning his money but this time no one is falling for it - him to "Bama yeah right.
There is absolutely not one sliver of evidence that Franklin’s agent is doing anything, but keep making stuff up to fit your narrative.

Yep, 1000%. But, u know Voltz, he is a total JF fanboy who can't take any criticism of his guy. Must be on JF's payroll or something.
These JF fanboys are ridiculous. Every excuse under the sun for sweeping all these big game losses under the rug. Name of the game is to deliver results.

Reactions: scrivener
I'll play.

Thank you for confirming you are content with being 2nd tier and hoping for an annual miracle (or maybe a 25yo with a video camera?)

Your dismissal of my assertions is eyeroll inducing. Your cherry picking of Paterno's record is the end of career when he was depressed over George's death, a period referred to as the dark years. Respectfully, Boise under Petersen played competitive football against P5 opponents when they had the opportunity and yes, Paterno coached teams played competitive football and won many games against comparable/better talent.

Now, FTR, I have never once once said that JF is terrible. Just the opposite in fact. He is everything you want in a CFB coach, except the actual FB coaching. I don't think he makes his players better, and relative to his peer coaches, I don't he puts them in the best position to succeed. I think JF is 2nd tier, and I don't see anything he has changed in a decade..no growth as a coach - ie making better game decisions, adapting to player strengths, etc.

So, I don't see anything to suggest that JF will get over the hump. I'd like to see the University try to excel and be "elite" as JF talks about instead of managing it as merely a profit center. 🤷🤷

These JF fanboys are ridiculous. Every excuse under the sun for sweeping all these big game losses under the rug. Name of the game is to deliver results.
How dare people support the coach of the program they follow…what a horrible thing to do in life. Real fans spend all their time trashing the coach and degrading him as much as possible. That’s what being a true fan is all about.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
How dare people support the coach of the program they follow…what a horrible thing to do in life. Real fans spend all their time trashing the coach and degrading him as much as possible. That’s what being a true fan is all about.
When you don't win or succeed in critical games then you are criticized. It is not all kittens and rainbows. This is a results business. Same thing in business. Think about it...If JF was a VP of Marketing at a company and he had 12 new product launches to oversee in a given year. With the two most important launches he screwed them up and they lost money which significantly hurt the bottom line of the company. Do you think the Board of Directors would be happy with his performance? Hell No!! In fact, he would be canned yet this guy has a guaranteed $70 million on the way no matter how he performs. Ridiculous.

Shall we revisit how you talk about the basketball coaches?

To be fair, Penn State hasn't had any failures as HCs in football since. O'Brian and Franklin were both successful enough give circumstances. The only question is can James take us to the next level...

When you don't win or succeed in critical games then you are criticized. It is not all kittens and rainbows. This is a results business. Same thing in business. Think about it...If JF was a VP of Marketing at a company and he had 12 new product launches to oversee in a given year. With the two most important launches he screwed them up and they lost money which significantly hurt the bottom line of the company. Do you think the Board of Directors would be happy with his performance? Hell No!! In fact, he would be canned yet this guy has a guaranteed $70 million on the way no matter how he performs. Ridiculous.
Unless successfully getting 10 out of 12 was far better than the majority of other marketing VP’s we’re getting and was equal to or better than your previous VP got for the past 30 years and the company was thriving and pulling in big bucks because of the VP. And I’m not sure how you can say losing those two games seriously hurt the bottom line of the university.

Shall we revisit how you talk about the basketball coaches?
Please, let’s do that. Please find me one negative thing I ever posted about Bruce Parkhill, Jerry Dunn, Ed DeChellis, Jim Ferry, Micah Shrewsberry or Mike Rhoades….I’ll wait. As far as Pat Chambers, my criticism with him was more of a criticism of other posters who talked about how great he was and how much better he was than Dunn or DeChellis when both Dunn and DeChellis had better results in terms of getting us to the tournament. I don’t expect much out of our basketball team…a tournament appearance every five years or so….Chambers wasn’t doing that, but once he would have made it in 2020, I was fine with him staying, but he got fired. Much of my criticism about the basketball team has been and usually does revolve around how the players are playing….unlike posters on here, I realize the players have far more to do with winning and losing than the coach. So if I criticize how the team played, it’s not a criticism of the coach.

Leipold? You should look in on his successes and remember he IS at Kansas.

Any coach who can coach undefeated teams is on my list. It takes concentration and discipline at whatever level. His teams are every bit that, and but for running out of players at Buffalo, they would have beaten us.

Look it up! He is 17-21 in three years. What success? He is was playing lesser teams and is not lighting it up. What undefeated team are you talking about?

At Buffalo starting in 2015. 5-7, 2-10, 6-6, 10-4, 8-5 and 6-1(covid) 37-33.

Almost beat penn state ? A as that the 13-45 loss or the 14-27 loss?
54 -54 in 9 seasons. That is your Franklin replacement?

Last edited:
Please, let’s do that. Please find me one negative thing I ever posted about Bruce Parkhill, Jerry Dunn, Ed DeChellis, Jim Ferry, Micah Shrewsberry or Mike Rhoades….I’ll wait. As far as Pat Chambers, my criticism with him was more of a criticism of other posters who talked about how great he was and how much better he was than Dunn or DeChellis when both Dunn and DeChellis had better results in terms of getting us to the tournament. I don’t expect much out of our basketball team…a tournament appearance every five years or so….Chambers wasn’t doing that, but once he would have made it in 2020, I was fine with him staying, but he got fired. Much of my criticism about the basketball team has been and usually does revolve around how the players are playing….unlike posters on here, I realize the players have far more to do with winning and losing than the coach. So if I criticize how the team played, it’s not a criticism of the coach.
Come on man. We had a whole conversation about a BB game where PSU was up 12 pts early and you made a post trashing chambers.

Within an hour you would make posts that said the FB coaches were above criticism because they made X dollars, and then trash the BB coaches as totally incompetent, despite them making far more than you have ever been paid to coach BB.
You'll need to do better. Either it's okay to criticize the coaches or it's not. You can't have it both ways. Just stop being so condescending toward anyone that criticizes JF and I'll never bring it up again.

Unless successfully getting 10 out of 12 was far better than the majority of other marketing VP’s we’re getting and was equal to or better than your previous VP got for the past 30 years and the company was thriving and pulling in big bucks because of the VP. And I’m not sure how you can say losing those two games seriously hurt the bottom line of the university.
No, the company was expecting all 12 to hit and bare minimum was 11 of 12 and all the key competitors did that so the Marketing VP failed. PSU's bottom line would be improved by halving Franklin's salary.

Understand your analogy but that's assuming overall profit and PM have not improved within the athletic department...I hate losing . But my bet is that our athletic department's financial success and security..while funding so many non revenue generating sports ( let alone a basketball program that is not close to contributing to what others in the Big 10 do) ...has improved YOY ( sans covid ) mainly through the success of our football program and James Franklin within the last 10 years. Again I hate losing these big games..frustrating as hell...but something is working...

Thank you for confirming you are content with being 2nd tier and hoping for an annual miracle (or maybe a 25yo with a video camera?)

Your dismissal of my assertions is eyeroll inducing. Your cherry picking of Paterno's record is the end of career when he was depressed over George's death, a period referred to as the dark years. Respectfully, Boise under Petersen played competitive football against P5 opponents when they had the opportunity and yes, Paterno coached teams played competitive football and won many games against comparable/better talent.

Now, FTR, I have never once once said that JF is terrible. Just the opposite in fact. He is everything you want in a CFB coach, except the actual FB coaching. I don't think he makes his players better, and relative to his peer coaches, I don't he puts them in the best position to succeed. I think JF is 2nd tier, and I don't see anything he has changed in a decade..no growth as a coach - ie making better game decisions, adapting to player strengths, etc.

So, I don't see anything to suggest that JF will get over the hump. I'd like to see the University try to excel and be "elite" as JF talks about instead of managing it as merely a profit center. 🤷🤷
Truly excellent post, agree with it all. And, Voltz always refers back to Joe as a comparison of JF. I mean what a myopic and dumb way to make comparisons -- and that applies to any sport, franchise, program, etc. The game changes, schedules are different, the whole structure of a given sport is vastly different than decades ago. But, that's all he knows how to argue.

Truly excellent post, agree with it all. And, Voltz always refers back to Joe as a comparison of JF. I mean what a myopic and dumb way to make comparisons -- and that applies to any sport, franchise, program, etc. The game changes, schedules are different, the whole structure of a given sport is vastly different than decades ago. But, that's all he knows how to argue.

E-e-ee-e-ee-ee-e-e!!!

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Saban and Smart drastically changed what expectations are in this era. Joe was fortunate to coach when he did because down seasons wouldn't have been tolerated.

Look it up! He is 17-21 in three years. What success? He is was playing lesser teams and is not lighting it up. What undefeated team are you talking about?

At Buffalo starting in 2015. 5-7, 2-10, 6-6, 10-4, 8-5 and 6-1(covid) 37-33.

Almost beat penn state ? A as that the 13-45 loss or the 14-27 loss?
54 -54 in 9 seasons. That is your Franklin replacement?
Yup. Several national championships and undefeated seasons at Wisconsin Whitewater. He’s the top of my list….snd make no mistake….many, many other teams. We just took his long time OC. Not a surprise.

Reactions: Obliviax
Yup. Several national championships and undefeated seasons at Wisconsin Whitewater. He’s the top of my list….snd make no mistake….many, many other teams. We just took his long time OC. Not a surprise.
Agreed. It is much harder to grow a program than to sustain a successful program. Buffalo and Kansas don't have the fan base, resulting in lacking facilities, to sustain. So it takes several years, if not decades, to move a program up. Even Harbaugh (and Franklin) didn't have shitty fan bases and/or facilities. They both enjoy 100k+ every home game and substantial TV revenues.

Lance is a big time coach that will be rewarded. I understand that Kansas has committed a ton of revenue to facilities to accommodate him and help him build a program. He's doing that yet lost his long time successful OC to Penn State in a lateral move. So there you go.

Understand your analogy but that's assuming overall profit and PM have not improved within the athletic department...I hate losing . But my bet is that our athletic department's financial success and security..while funding so many non revenue generating sports ( let alone a basketball program that is not close to contributing to what others in the Big 10 do) ...has improved YOY ( sans covid ) mainly through the success of our football program and James Franklin within the last 10 years. Again I hate losing these big games..frustrating as hell...but something is working...
He does a lot of things right and I don't doubt the athletic department financials are fine because of football which he is accountable for.

My issue is his on field performance and specifically winning big games. My analogy was if he was a business CEO or whatever position in business and was handed a set of priorities or initiatives to get accomplished and he failed at the two most important ones then he would be fired. The analogy in JF's world is those priorities are football games and the two most important ones were Michigan and Ohio State and he lost those games hence failed at delivering results on those two key priorities/football games.

I understand that if 108,000 people still show up year after year that is obviously a good thing for the financials of the athletic department and I guess Franklin is responsible for that so give him credit for fielding teams that still draw high levels of interest and engagement. However, a football coach is paid to win and at Penn State in my mind this means win key, big games. He doesn't need to sweep every big game, that is unrealistic, but how about winning one versus a top 10 opponent more than once a decade.

Reactions: Psubiomed
The truth hurts, eh?

You better believe it. Alabama was 113-80 in the previous 17 years before Saban - that's a 59% ratio

He does a lot of things right and I don't doubt the athletic department financials are fine because of football which he is accountable for.

My issue is his on field performance and specifically winning big games. My analogy was if he was a business CEO or whatever position in business and was handed a set of priorities or initiatives to get accomplished and he failed at the two most important ones then he would be fired. The analogy in JF's world is those priorities are football games and the two most important ones were Michigan and Ohio State and he lost those games hence failed at delivering results on those two key priorities/football games.

I understand that if 108,000 people still show up year after year that is obviously a good thing for the financials of the athletic department and I guess Franklin is responsible for that so give him credit for fielding teams that still draw high levels of interest and engagement. However, a football coach is paid to win and at Penn State in my mind this means win key, big games. He doesn't need to sweep every big game, that is unrealistic, but how about winning one versus a top 10 opponent more than once a decade.
I truly believe a more than average portion of our fan base has been conditioned to defend coaches, regardless of performance, as a result of the Paterno era, while others are not this way.

I truly believe a more than average portion of our fan base has been conditioned to defend coaches, regardless of performance, as a result of the Paterno era, while others are not this way.
Not sure why they defend him so vehemently. It's not like he's their son or related to them. Gotta look at his performance objectively.

Not sure why they defend him so vehemently. It's not like he's their son or related to them. Gotta look at his performance objectively.
I don't quite understand it either but it's there. Our fan base disproportionately supports what most other elite programs disdain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT