ADVERTISEMENT

How much will Alabama want to take Franklin?

His name is already being mentioned, how much is it worth to us to get rid of CJF? It would be kind of a reverse buy out.
Then what? Name someone who wants the PSU job? Make sure they have a winning record vs the top 10. Rhule, golden, schiano and jay Paterno have 0 wins combined vs the top ten . Saban, urban, Kirby, harbaugh are not coming. Franklin had a better record than dabo this year. You won't be happy until joes corpse is propped up on the sideline.

Then what? Name someone who wants the PSU job? Make sure they have a winning record vs the top 10. Rhule, golden, schiano and jay Paterno have 0 wins combined vs the top ten . Saban, urban, Kirby, harbaugh are not coming. Franklin had a better record than dabo this year. You won't be happy until joes corpse is propped up on the sideline.
Liepold, Diaz, Rhule.

• Haha
Reactions: Strick73
Seeing Butch Jones' name mentioned by a few down South close to the Alabama program.

His name is already being mentioned, how much is it worth to us to get rid of CJF? It would be kind of a reverse buy out.

I think Dan Lanning (Oregon head coach), would be high on the list. There is a likely a preference for prior SEC experience which he has with Georgia. Other plusses as well. Franklin's name being mentioned for the Alabama role, IMHO, is clickbait.

Reactions: franklinman
I think Dan Lanning (Oregon head coach), would be high on the list. There is a likely a preference for prior SEC experience which he has with Georgia. Other plusses as well. Franklin's name being mentioned for the Alabama role, IMHO, is clickbait.
I would wager that Lanning is #1 on their list of candidates

God no to Rhule and Diaz isn't going to leave Duke that quick.
DeBoer and Lanning should be the first two calls now that Elko isn't an option
I do like Liepold though and would be thrilled if that happened.
Rhule has made an immediate impact at Nebraska. They were more competitive this year than the past few seasons and their recruiting class is ranked 18th (vs 14th for PSU).

Reactions: hoflane
Rhule has made an immediate impact at Nebraska. They were more competitive this year than the past few seasons and their recruiting class is ranked 18th (vs 14th for PSU).
The West is always weak but was even worse this year and there was minimal impact. The class is ranked high because a former Nebraska player gave his son very bad advice to help his old school. You can want Rhule. I don't. I think people only want him because of his ties to our program when they know there's better options. He's not even the best Big Ten West option let alone the best overall option

Jimmy's cousin once again failing to allow a thread to happen without invoking the late Coach Paterno for no apparent reason!

Reactions: blair10 and AvgUser
I would take Deboer in a hot minute…after Leipold. PacNW’ers have zero taste for the East sadly. I don’t think he would come. Leipold would and would never leave.

I would guess that Dan Lanning is their number one target. Just depends if Lanning wants to follow a legend. If I were him, I would stay put in Oregon.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
CJF has a better chance of flapping his wings and flying to the moon. That said, it's a riot seeing this unfold. There are plenty of NFL coaches and assts who would bite. Rivera, Del Rio. all these guys who never won anything. How long are the Jags going to give Dougie Pete? Patricia? Get him out of Philly.

Jimmy's cousin once again failing to allow a thread to happen without invoking the late Coach Paterno for no apparent reason!
Just making a point.

The joebits complain about 10 wins a year and then want a 6 win coach like Matt rhule with 0 top 10 wins.

Yeah from clueless people making up stuff typing on a keyboard just like many of the posters on this board.

Diaz left Temple after three weeks to jump to Miami.

Franklins agent sure is earning his money but this time no one is falling for it - him to "Bama yeah right.

Franklin at Bama? He would not make it to October.
Yeah, he's 6-29 against top 15 and 6-18 against top 25. Franklin is a fine coach but he's never beaten anyone with superior talent and never seems to win a big game. I'm done worrying about this guy leaving and I doubt bama is salivating to get him.

Liepold had 0 top 10 wins last 3 years. 17 -21 at kansas. . Rhule and Diaz have 0 top 10 wins in their careers. Rhule is a career .500 coach. Are you impressed?
Saban was 34-24-1 at Sparty.
Sometimes a good coach isn't enough to raise up an average school. That's why coaches leave for "better" jobs. If Saban thought he could win a natty at MSU, he would have probably stayed.
The question you should be asking is how any coach's team performs against opponents of comparable/better talent.

You may remember Chris Petersen at Boise St. His rosters of 2-3* players competed well with teams of 4* players. He was a good coach who made sound football players and put them in positions to be successful through strategy and play calling.
JF, while he does so many things right (recruiting, comms, politics) wins games on talent, and has throughout his time at PSU, struggled against teams of comparable talent. I think his lone upset may be OSU in 2016 that featured the infamous FG block and Grant Haley return for a TD. JF has also struggled at times against average, but well-coached teams.

Rhule performed well at Temple. I think most would say his time at Baylor was successful, but I'm not in a position to judge the quality of his roster vs the losses to OK, etc. With Carolina in the NFL, who the heck knows. COVID + a franchise in disarray. It's possible that Rhule is a successful mid-level HC (See Schiano) but is not capable of winning at the upper echelon.

I'm not a Franklin hater, but do offer an honest assessment and criticism of his performance over the last 10 seasons. @voltz99 , tell us all this, since you are an enthusiastic defended of JF and take a condescending tone with anyone that points out his record against his peer/near peer coaches/schools - Are you satisfied with JF's performance? Are you okay with generally not being competitive against teams with similar rankings? Many on this board used to mock Harbaugh for making $8M and finishing 3rd in the east every year. That comment hasn't aged well. So let's be real. It seems like you are content. 9-10 win seasons. Low expectations of beating OSU-Mich (and probably USC, Oregon, Washington) and moving forward, a likely away game in the CFP where we are also not very competitive. Is that it? Is that contentment for you? Do you not think PSU is capable of more? Honest questions.

And since you like to bring up Paterno, let's discuss - Joe Paterno certainly had his faults, but he was capable of getting over the hump ... 2-2 in MNC games (and obviously robbed in '94), and 5 undefeated seasons, so he gets some grace. Even in his 70s, and after the dark years, he managed B1G titles in 2005(#3 ranking) and 2008(#8 ranking). Honest question - Do you see anything from JF that indicates he is likely to have 1 undefeated season, let alone multiple?

Appreciate the conversation.

I was always a Franklin supporter - he is a good recruiter but if he doesn't get us into the CFP next year I think he needs to go. We have the talent to be better than we have been on game day - winning the games you should but never beating teams you may only be slightly worse than get's old since almost very other program is able to do this once in a while - rinse wash repeat with him.

I doubt Alabama would be interested someone like Franklin that has demonstrated lack of success getting to the next level. His approach does not align one bit with that program's goals. Their athletic department seems way to smart to fall for his bullshit.

Franklin will probably use this opportunity to negotiate a 20 year extension.

I doubt Alabama would be interested someone like Franklin that has demonstrated lack of success getting to the next level. His approach does not align one bit with that program's goals. Their athletic department seems way to smart to fall for his bullshit.

Franklin will probably use this opportunity to negotiate a 20 year extension.
And you certainly used the news about Saban retiring to find a new way to rip Franklin. Speaking of BS, do you stay up at night to come up with it?

Saban was 34-24-1 at Sparty.
Sometimes a good coach isn't enough to raise up an average school. That's why coaches leave for "better" jobs. If Saban thought he could win a natty at MSU, he would have probably stayed.
The question you should be asking is how any coach's team performs against opponents of comparable/better talent.

You may remember Chris Petersen at Boise St. His rosters of 2-3* players competed well with teams of 4* players. He was a good coach who made sound football players and put them in positions to be successful through strategy and play calling.
JF, while he does so many things right (recruiting, comms, politics) wins games on talent, and has throughout his time at PSU, struggled against teams of comparable talent. I think his lone upset may be OSU in 2016 that featured the infamous FG block and Grant Haley return for a TD. JF has also struggled at times against average, but well-coached teams.

Rhule performed well at Temple. I think most would say his time at Baylor was successful, but I'm not in a position to judge the quality of his roster vs the losses to OK, etc. With Carolina in the NFL, who the heck knows. COVID + a franchise in disarray. It's possible that Rhule is a successful mid-level HC (See Schiano) but is not capable of winning at the upper echelon.

I'm not a Franklin hater, but do offer an honest assessment and criticism of his performance over the last 10 seasons. @voltz99 , tell us all this, since you are an enthusiastic defended of JF and take a condescending tone with anyone that points out his record against his peer/near peer coaches/schools - Are you satisfied with JF's performance? Are you okay with generally not being competitive against teams with similar rankings? Many on this board used to mock Harbaugh for making $8M and finishing 3rd in the east every year. That comment hasn't aged well. So let's be real. It seems like you are content. 9-10 win seasons. Low expectations of beating OSU-Mich (and probably USC, Oregon, Washington) and moving forward, a likely away game in the CFP where we are also not very competitive. Is that it? Is that contentment for you? Do you not think PSU is capable of more? Honest questions.

And since you like to bring up Paterno, let's discuss - Joe Paterno certainly had his faults, but he was capable of getting over the hump ... 2-2 in MNC games (and obviously robbed in '94), and 5 undefeated seasons, so he gets some grace. Even in his 70s, and after the dark years, he managed B1G titles in 2005(#3 ranking) and 2008(#8 ranking). Honest question - Do you see anything from JF that indicates he is likely to have 1 undefeated season, let alone multiple?

Appreciate the conversation.
I'll play.

I am content with 10 win seasons. It is better than joes career average. There have also been two 11 win seasons. They can get over the hump just like Harbaugh who you were mocking.

Peterson was beating teams with 4*talent? 4* talent in tge WAC? 0-1 vs psu.

Honest question using YOUR question. Was Joe beating teams with equal talent? Did Temple, rutgers, wvu, army, navy, airforce, bc, Maryland, random Mac school. EVER have equal telent? Did you use your lame talent level comparison then? Why did Joe have a losing record vs osu and um?

You need a couple 4-8 , 5-7 seasons with a new coach for a reality check. Get back to me when rhule wins his first top 10 game.

Liepold had 0 top 10 wins last 3 years. 17 -21 at kansas. . Rhule and Diaz have 0 top 10 wins in their careers. Rhule is a career .500 coach. Are you impressed?
Leipold? You should look in on his successes and remember he IS at Kansas.

Any coach who can coach undefeated teams is on my list. It takes concentration and discipline at whatever level. His teams are every bit that, and but for running out of players at Buffalo, they would have beaten us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT