ADVERTISEMENT

How James Franklin is attracting blue-chip talent to Penn State

I hate your family. Merry Hatemas. :eek:
giphy.gif

Pet Peeve alert!

I've heard so many leaders pull the "we are family" card that it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. I hate that, including the mustered up tear perfectly timed with the voice crack. I fell for that crap once, and I will never fall for it again.

CJF should be telling kids and parents that he is a teacher and a coach. Kids need to come to be prepared to play; and if they do they will be rewarded. They won't be cut and will be able to realize their full scholarship. But he isn't their mom or dad. he's not going to wipe their noses and tuck them in at night. His love is not unconditional. He has an obligation to teach and coach and he will do the best he can for each and every one of them.

The next time I see a car dealership commercial where they call their customers "one of the family"...well, lets just say when I hear a company say that, I avoid them at all costs.

CCF1ZS4XIAIGIXf.jpg
I think one of the things recruits love an about CF is he doesn’t feed them a bunch of BS and promise them the world. And they will have to work hard to earn their roster spots and work hard in the classroom to stay on the team.
And he also tries to develop a personal relationship with all his players and wants Penn State to be more than just a football team. Instead they are a part something special that they can carry with pride for the rest of their days.

As a parent of a D-1 athlete, I would very much like the family part of his message. When you’re handing your kid over to someone they will spend more time with than their family for the next four years, you want to feel like they care about them as more than just an athlete. But that’s just me.

I think the kids Franklin is recruiting buy into the notion of family. However, they also have to know that there are expectations they must live up to and that there are consequences if they do not live up to them. It’s not all puppies and rainbows.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
As a parent of a D-1 athlete, I would very much like the family part of his message. When you’re handing your kid over to someone they will spend more time with than their family for the next four years, you want to feel like they care about them as more than just an athlete. But that’s just me.
I understand.

I got that crap from an emerging company I was with. Family, family, family. I blew away all expectations and then they fired me. I spend 2.5 years fighting them. I was lucky. The moment they fired me, they wiped my phone and laptop. I was able to recover my inbox and sent messages. Fortunately, I end every email conversation with a "thank you" so had every meaningful email. Over the years of litigation, I deposed five of them. Every-time they lied, my lawyer pulled up an email. I also had them sending documents from their former employers that were protected by NDA's and an email with my female boss calling a co-worker "biggens" (slang for well endowed) when she hit "reply all" with me CCed by mistake. I also had to defend almost four years of expense reports. In the end, they folded and I got paid, plus damages, my attorney's fees plus a little for lost stock options. Two executives were also fired, which I negotiated as part of me agreeing to an NDA. They were trying to manipulate their bonuses and I got a bit of that discussion in their emails in discovery when I was able to get some back and fourth on my annual review when they were plotting how to get rid of me. The final savings grace was they tried to send me an email with an attachment as evidence. it was clear that the email was written by someone who did not write attachment. They tried to slide it in two weeks before trial and I hired an email forensic expert to assure that this was, indeed, the attachment on the server and not just a document made with the same name and printed off. I never got that far as they were going to challenge it at trial and then settled.

So, that is why this is a pet peeve of mine.

I think one of the things recruits love an about CF is he doesn’t feed them a bunch of BS and promise them the world. And they will have to work hard to earn their roster spots and work hard in the classroom to stay on the team.
And he also tries to develop a personal relationship with all his players and wants Penn State to be more than just a football team. Instead they are a part something special that they can carry with pride for the rest of their days.
maybe....but if he gets "hit by a bus" he cannot fulfill that promise. So this promise, in and of itself, is BS.

I understand.

I got that crap from an emerging company I was with. Family, family, family. I blew away all expectations and then they fired me. I spend 2.5 years fighting them. I was lucky. The moment they fired me, they wiped my phone and laptop. I was able to recover my inbox and sent messages. Fortunately, I end every email conversation with a "thank you" so had every meaningful email. Over the years of litigation, I deposed five of them. Every-time they lied, my lawyer pulled up an email. I also had them sending documents from their former employers that were protected by NDA's and an email with my female boss calling a co-worker "biggens" (slang for well endowed) when she hit "reply all" with me CCed by mistake. I also had to defend almost four years of expense reports. In the end, they folded and I got paid, plus damages, my attorney's fees plus a little for lost stock options. Two executives were also fired, which I negotiated as part of me agreeing to an NDA. They were trying to manipulate their bonuses and I got a bit of that discussion in their emails in discovery when I was able to get some back and fourth on my annual review when they were plotting how to get rid of me. The final savings grace was they tried to send me an email with an attachment as evidence. it was clear that the email was written by someone who did not write attachment. They tried to slide it in two weeks before trial and I hired an email forensic expert to assure that this was, indeed, the attachment on the server and not just a document made with the same name and printed off. I never got that far as they were going to challenge it at trial and then settled.

Well that escalated quickly. o_O

Reactions: Obliviax
I understand.

FOOTBALL. :eek:

No, he doesn’t promise them a roster spot, only a scholarship. And Franklin would not pull the scholarship from a kid who gets hit by a bus.
i never said he promised them a roster spot. he is promising them that they will be "treated like family". he cannot be certain that this promise can be kept....if for no other reason, than he isn't the coach (by act of God or any other way).

i never said he promised them a roster spot. he is promising them that they will be "treated like family". he cannot be certain that this promise can be kept....if for no other reason, than he isn't the coach (by act of God or any other way).
I think he means they will always be a part of the Penn State family, no matter if they are a bench warmer or the starting QB they always always be welcomed at Penn State.

Plus, CJF negotiated his salary to just under $6m per year. As a business person, that is just fine by me. he's worth every penny. that's the way it works. But if you were truly in it "for the kids" you could do this for a hell of a lot less, set yourself and your kids up for the rest of their lives, and let the rest work for other charitable things. CJF may give most of it away, IDK. But he negotiated this like a bandit. But, sorry, if my kid was a blue chipper, I'd stop him mid sentence and say "please get back to telling me about the educational programs and plans to develop my son into a football player. I'll handle the "family" part. Thank you."

What specifically has Franklin done that contradicts his sincerity in caring for his players? He seems as engaged and legitimately interested in his players as any coach.

@Obliviax brings up a good point. What exactly constitutes "family" in college football, if anything at all? For certain, it's a popular buzzword that most major programs throw around to sell recruits on their culture. But do some programs embrace family values more than others? Do any, at all?

I present to you this example of family values:

Save-An-Eye banquet offers impassioned tribute to Milne

BY JOHN DUDLEY

An emotional Brian Milne listened to speeches and watched a video Thursday celebrating his improbable journey from high school football star to cancer survivor to NFL starter.john.dudley@timesnews.com
s77314330862476

Then the former Fort LeBoeuf running back delivered a pair of stirring tributes of his own to former coaches Joe Shesman and Joe Paterno.

Milne, a retired NFL fullback now working as a police officer in suburban Cincinnati, was the keynote speaker at the Save-An-Eye banquet at the Zem Zem Shrine Club. Tonight's game, set for 7 p.m. at Veterans Stadium, is the 75th in the history of the City-County all-star series.

After thanking Shesman for helping him become one of the state's best players as a high school junior, Milne turned his attention to Paterno, the late Penn State coach who stood by his scholarship offer after Milne was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease and missed his senior season.

In his first public comments about Paterno's role in the scandal that sent former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky to prison for child sex crimes, Milne refused to address Sandusky by name, calling him "a wolf in sheep's clothing" on the Penn State sideline.

Milne defended Paterno's actions, saying he notified superiors about what he knew, and blamed Penn State officials for failing to act.

"At the worst moment of my life, Joe Paterno said come to Penn State regardless of whether you play or not -- just get here," Milne said.

Of the NCAA sanctions against Paterno and Penn State, he added, "You can claim to strip away the wins and take down the statue, but you can't take away what Coach Paterno has meant to me and so many other people." ...story continues...

How would James Franklin handle a similar situation? It's not fair to compare the two, however I have a feeling that Joe Paterno would be extremely proud to see his program in James Franklin's hands.

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere in the thread, but it's interesting that Caeden Wallace's FATHER was coached by PSU (and Allentown Dieruff) grad Jeff Bleamer. The blue-and-white connection started with Dad. How 'bout that?

no, helping old ladies is finite...the four greatest lies of all time (that are not sexual in nature)
  1. I am from the government and I am here to help you
  2. Communism will make all people equal
  3. You need to fully commit to the Word of the Lord (at least, my interpretation of the word)
  4. We are family (when we are not)

If #1 is true, why do citizens request government help after hurricanes, floods, fires and other disasters?

Does anyone else here subscribe to The Athletic? I’m about the last person on earth that would get a subscription to anything, but I got a deal for 1 year for $29.99.
I must admit, it’s worth every penny. Clean looking articles with no ads or pop ups and very in-depth.

It seems their mission is to pilfer all of the sports writers from their local newspapers and get them on staff at The Athletic.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
I understand.

I get it. I understand many businesses and organizations that preach family don’t really mean it, but some do. I have been very fortunate to work for the same company for 30 years and they preach family but I also feel strongly that they mean it. I feel very fortunate to work for them and they have treated me well. There’s some that preach family but don’t really mean it just like there are some coaches who preach it but don’t really mean it. I feel that Franklin is one that really means it.

I think the kids Franklin is recruiting buy into the notion of family. However, they also have to know that there are expectations they must live up to and that there are consequences if they do not live up to them. It’s not all puppies and rainbows.
It’s not all tongs and lattes.

@Obliviax brings up a good point. What exactly constitutes "family" in college football, if anything at all? For certain, it's a popular buzzword that most major programs throw around to sell recruits on their culture. But do some programs embrace family values more than others? Do any, at all?

BY JOHN DUDLEY

An emotional Brian Milne listened to speeches and watched a video Thursday celebrating his improbable journey from high school football star to cancer survivor to NFL starter.john.dudley@timesnews.com
s77314330862476

Then the former Fort LeBoeuf running back delivered a pair of stirring tributes of his own to former coaches Joe Shesman and Joe Paterno.

Milne, a retired NFL fullback now working as a police officer in suburban Cincinnati, was the keynote speaker at the Save-An-Eye banquet at the Zem Zem Shrine Club. Tonight's game, set for 7 p.m. at Veterans Stadium, is the 75th in the history of the City-County all-star series.

After thanking Shesman for helping him become one of the state's best players as a high school junior, Milne turned his attention to Paterno, the late Penn State coach who stood by his scholarship offer after Milne was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease and missed his senior season.

In his first public comments about Paterno's role in the scandal that sent former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky to prison for child sex crimes, Milne refused to address Sandusky by name, calling him "a wolf in sheep's clothing" on the Penn State sideline.

Milne defended Paterno's actions, saying he notified superiors about what he knew, and blamed Penn State officials for failing to act.

"At the worst moment of my life, Joe Paterno said come to Penn State regardless of whether you play or not -- just get here," Milne said.

Of the NCAA sanctions against Paterno and Penn State, he added, "You can claim to strip away the wins and take down the statue, but you can't take away what Coach Paterno has meant to me and so many other people." ...story continues...

How would James Franklin handle a similar situation? It's not fair to compare the two, however I have a feeling that Joe Paterno would be extremely proud to see his program in James Franklin's hands.
And the four other schools recruiting Milne pulled his scholarship offer including Lou Holtz.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I wish you peace and happiness in the New Year. Sorry to hear about your experience.
I know - we're not family, mine is fairly messed up.

I wish you peace and happiness in the New Year. Sorry to hear about your experience.
I know - we're not family, mine is fairly messed up.
Thank you. In the end, totally worth it. Those people will never try that trick again. And I was made whole, and more skeptical/cautious

Let the facts speak for themselves:
Players graduate
We win football games
Players are not getting into trouble(remember Jopa’s last 7 years, it was really bad the amount of problems we had with trouble and I love joe- he came to my grandmas house in the 50’s and said she made the best pasta)

We are so lucky to have Franklin, almost too good to be true and the family aspect is legit.

The family concept is great for recruiting but it’s also huge while on the field. Teams that are playing for each other are generally more successful than guys playing for themselves. I feel like the PSU players genuinely care about each other. I loved that KJ Hamler publicly had Franklin’s back after the OSU loss. Franklin has fostered that environment and it’s a sign of a very good leader. Franklin believes in what he’s doing. The only fake you might see is in a press conference and that’s true of all coaches except Mike Leach.

Reactions: sigchip_a_yahoo.com
Plus, CJF negotiated his salary to just under $6m per year. As a business person, that is just fine by me. he's worth every penny. that's the way it works. But if you were truly in it "for the kids" you could do this for a hell of a lot less, set yourself and your kids up for the rest of their lives, and let the rest work for other charitable things. CJF may give most of it away, IDK. But he negotiated this like a bandit. But, sorry, if my kid was a blue chipper, I'd stop him mid sentence and say "please get back to telling me about the educational programs and plans to develop my son into a football player. I'll handle the "family" part. Thank you."

You're a strange bird.

I think he means they will always be a part of the Penn State family, no matter if they are a bench warmer or the starting QB they always always be welcomed at Penn State.
Exactly. Was this not the path blazed by JVP? That is why most of his ex-players stood by him through the very worst of the 2nd Mile crisis.

Reactions: indynittany

BY JOHN DUDLEY

s77314330862476

Winner!

I understand.

I can understand your emotional reaction to it, but I also hope you can recognize that your position is akin to saying if a spouse cheats on you, it means every person who ever tells someone they love them is lying.

Maybe. Just don't like people blowing smoke up my skirt. It's not a family. It never will be a family. It can't be a family, because it is not. It is a business. I love CJF, but I don't like this 'family' BS.

FAMILY. :eek:

I can understand your emotional reaction to it, but I also hope you can recognize that your position is akin to saying if a spouse cheats on you, it means every person who ever tells someone they love them is lying.
Hmmm...no

Business isn't family (unless Mafia). And, as an attorney, you know that this'arrangement' cannot be sustained or enforced. As great as CJF is, it will not survive him if he is no longer HC.

Let me be more clear: CJF isn't in charge. The BOT is. So CJF can say a lot of things, but if he is overruled, means nothing. Was Joe Paterno treated as family in 2011? Were the players "treated like family" when BO'B left? Was John Donovan "Treated like Family" when he was fired in the locker room after the last game? Was DC Shoop treated like family during his law suit? I could go through several players but I don't know their specific one-on-one situations so will not address them.

Last edited:
Pet Peeve alert!

I've heard so many leaders pull the "we are family" card that it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. I hate that, including the mustered up tear perfectly timed with the voice crack. I fell for that crap once, and I will never fall for it again.

CJF should be telling kids and parents that he is a teacher and a coach. Kids need to come to be prepared to play; and if they do they will be rewarded. They won't be cut and will be able to realize their full scholarship. But he isn't their mom or dad. he's not going to wipe their noses and tuck them in at night. His love is not unconditional. He has an obligation to teach and coach and he will do the best he can for each and every one of them.

The next time I see a car dealership commercial where they call their customers "one of the family"...well, lets just say when I hear a company say that, I avoid them at all costs.

CCF1ZS4XIAIGIXf.jpg
Merry Christmas!

I understand.

Good job, Obli. It sure sounds like you "nailed that coon skin to the wall."

Hmmm...no

Business isn't family (unless Mafia). And, as an attorney, you know that this'arrangement' cannot be sustained or enforced. As great as CJF is, it will not survive him if he is no longer HC.

Let me be more clear: CJF isn't in charge. The BOT is. So CJF can say a lot of things, but if he is overruled, means nothing. Was Joe Paterno treated as family in 2011? Were the players "treated like family" when BO'B left? Was John Donovan "Treated like Family" when he was fired in the locker room after the last game? Was DC Shoop treated like family during his law suit? I could go through several players but I don't know their specific one-on-one situations so will not address them.

You are grossly over-interpreting his comments. He is saying that his motivation is not entirely football but also to help them in other areas, such as academics or social/life aspects, that have little direct bearing on the outcome of football games. The BOT has no bearing on whether he treats people like family or not. He isn’t promising that BOT or admin or prof will treat them like family only that him and his staff will care deeply about the players. That doesn’t mean there aren’t disagreements, squabbles, or even separations, all of which happen in real families by the way, so the outrage over him not meeting some an ideal concept of family in your head is a bit pretentious.

By the way, Shoops son was still on the football team as of this year, so I think that speaks volumes about the family vs business approach.

Hmmm...no

A college football team isn’t really a business. There is certainly a business side to it but in many ways it isn’t.
For example, if you quit your job at Apple to go work for Google, you can’t go back onto the Apple campus and hang out with your former coworkers.
I think what Franklin tells kids is that as a member of the Penn State Football team they will be a part of something special. A member of an elite club that dates back more than 100 years and it’s a place where they will always be welcome long after he is gone.
I tend to agree with you when it comes to businesses. For-profit businesses are there to make a profit and if you don’t make them money, you are probably not going to be kept around.
But a college football team isn’t a for-profit business.
Is Franklin going to keep a kid in the starting lineup if he doesn’t help him win games, no, but he’s not going to kick him off the team either, like the pros.
Now the kid may want to transfer to get more playing time and that’s fine. But there are a lot of kids who will stay all four or five years and rarely play in an actual game.

Hmmm...no

So basically, f*ck us.

Reactions: odshowtime
You are grossly over-interpreting his comments. He is saying that his motivation is not entirely football but also to help them in other areas, such as academics or social/life aspects, that have little direct bearing on the outcome of football games. The BOT has no bearing on whether he treats people like family or not. He isn’t promising that BOT or admin or prof will treat them like family only that him and his staff will care deeply about the players. That doesn’t mean there aren’t disagreements, squabbles, or even separations, all of which happen in real families by the way, so the outrage over him not meeting some an ideal concept of family in your head is a bit pretentious.

By the way, Shoops son was still on the football team as of this year, so I think that speaks volumes about the family vs business approach.
Fair enough. I just disagree. CJF has bosses and he cannot speak for those bosses. Also, he can't speak for when he is no longer coach, for whatever reason this comes to pass. I've stated, countless times, that I believe his words are sincere. But we saw how Penn State treated other people when push came to shove. If you expect the University to act any differently should the time come, you are naive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT