ADVERTISEMENT

How is everyone hanging in on the board. This week is tough on me....was...........................

Working from home I've been able to get the yard looking better earlier than I would have normally. I also have about three quarters of an acre at the back of my property that was overgrown with all sorts of trees and brush that I've been able to take out a fair amount of and create next winter's woodpile.
Working in education has obviously been harder especially with two toddlers running around the house with me. Though they've quietly become stars of my class recordings.
I feel bad for my kids not being able to go to daycare and play with other toddlers or go to a playground but we do get in the car and take a ride most days just so they can get out of the house and see some things.

Doing OK. But I have had great weather most of the time so using the pool a lot. For cardio I have been hitting the Nordic Track.

I have built an Explorer style guitar and 4 guitar effects pedals (actually all fuzzes and fixed another fuzz pedal). Now I am working on designs for other effects pedals including overdrive and boost pedals.
GbN6G4K.jpg
2IA2vH5.jpg
cFapPhq.jpg
mbhH298.jpg
5nFyIu6.jpg

Stay at Home has been a bit inconvenient, but it’s really not much different from being an everyday retiree.

The best consequence is that it has forced wife and I to set the alarm for 5:15 am so that we can get our 5 mile walk in before the socially-inconsiderate Millenial joggers emerge from their parent’s basements. I’ve come close to pepper spraying a couple of the pesky twits.

The best consequence is that it has forced wife and I to set the alarm for 5:15 am so that we can get our 5 mile walk in before the socially-inconsiderate Millenial joggers emerge from their parent’s basements. I’ve come close to pepper spraying a couple of the pesky twits.
That’s the reason I have stuck to my Nordic Track indoors. I have never seen so many people walking or jogging in my entire life and most of them have no clue about what social distancing is.

Reactions: HazletonLion
bored to tears, but compared to my parent's generation's sacrifices this is very small potatoes
Businesses shut down, people forced to stay home, a crippled economy, the worst unemployment in the history of the country...yeah, small potatoes.

Reactions: bdgan
Businesses shut down, people forced to stay home, a crippled economy, the worst unemployment in the history of the country...yeah, small potatoes.
Maybe of you get it you wouldn't think it really is small potatoes.

Maybe of you get it you wouldn't think it really is small potatoes.
The poster doesn’t believe it is small potatoes at all...he/she is using sarcasm. Just because someone doesn’t believe wrecking an economy and causing families to struggle to feed their family and provide for basic needs is small potatoes does not mean they concurrently believe death is no big deal. It is possible to recognize 2 truths at the same time

Reactions: CattyGuy51
Overall I’ve done well. However, last Saturday was the nicest day of the spring and I agreed to scrub the garage floor on the first warm day we had. I scrubbed the hell out of that thing followed by mowing the lawn, drinking IPAs for the first time in 4 months all along while forgetting to stop to eat lunch. At 5:45 my wife left with the girls for a photo shoot (all 4 were teenagers for one month) and I agreed to grill burgers for dinner. Alas, a friend walked by and stayed for 2 hours. Yadda, yadda, yadda....... my wife had to run out and pick up some takeout while I slept in the recliner.
it wasn’t until my friend stopped by that I realized just how much I’ve missed people.

Stay at Home has been a bit inconvenient, but it’s really not much different from being an everyday retiree.

I think you should take a look at the big picture----at least the Millenials are attempting excercise instead of playing some nonsensical video game.

That said - pepper spray them anyway - it will be good for them.

Not suggesting what we're encountering isn't bad. But a person born in 1900 saw WW1 as a young adult, the Spanish Flu pandemic, a decade of the Great Depression as adults in their 30's, and WW2 in their 40's. The Greatest Generation saw the Great Depression as children and WW2 as adults.
I don't think it's possible nor productive to compare catastrophes, but some historical perspective isn't going to hurt either.

Not suggesting what we're encountering isn't bad. But a person born in 1900 saw WW1 as a young adult, the Spanish Flu pandemic, a decade of the Great Depression as adults in their 30's, and WW2 in their 40's. The Greatest Generation saw the Great Depression as children and WW2 as adults.
I don't think it's possible nor productive to compare catastrophes, but some historical perspective isn't going to hurt either.
And we’ve had 911, two wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the only pandemic in the history of the world that has shut almost everything down. And depending how far you go back, we had Vietnam. We also now have unemployment at unprecedented levels. I’d say we’re pretty even.

And now we have legislatures and lawyers looking to pass laws and get court decisions that would bankrupt our country based on Business Interruption coverage that is not in the contract. So this could get waaayyyy worse than anything we’ve ever seen.

And we’ve had 911, two wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the only pandemic in the history of the world that has shut almost everything down. And depending how far you go back, we had Vietnam. We also now have unemployment at unprecedented levels. I’d say we’re pretty even.

And now we have legislatures and lawyers looking to pass laws and get court decisions that would bankrupt our country based on Business Interruption coverage that is not in the contract. So this could get waaayyyy worse than anything we’ve ever seen.
So to answer Potter’s question, ... It’s a pandemic that’s killed 80,000 Americans and those who haven’t yet been floored by the disease itself are at varying levels of not doing so well at home.

bored to tears, but compared to my parent's generation's sacrifices this is very small potatoes
Don’t count your chickens on it being small potatoes yet. If things don’t turn around soon, we will be facing a “Greater” Depression with accompanying civil unrest that could lead to who knows what.

Reactions: AWS1022
I'm ok. I'm a good cook, so that's not a problem. I do miss going out for breakfast or an occasional sit down dinner. Our neighborhood is great, so on a decent day, you can sit out and talk at a distance. But the weather has not been very warm the last week, so not a lot going on.

I've been retired for 16 yrs so my routine of getting up late and not having to go to work hasn't changed. I do miss immensely the social interaction with my friends at the coffee shop. The thing that I miss the most, however, is not being able to give my 7 yr. old Granddaughter and my two daughters a hug. It breaks my heart. I will never be able to get that time back.

The wife started her new job yesterday. So now she can't watch the 6 month old all day while I work.
So it is going to be a tough few weeks! But good problems to have!

Reactions: Connorpozlee
I retired last fall, so being at home is the norm. The hardest thing for me is the impact on my son, nephews, and their friends. There is no repeating youth and you only get to be a high school kid once; a lot of opportunities are vanishing and won't be replaced. I get it; this is first world stuff. I was reared by parents who grew up in houses that didn't have central heat, and neither had a week's change of clothes. At the same time, I feel for the kids. For me, it's hard not to see friends in person. It's also hard to not have anything to really look forward to. Our vacation plans are pretty well shot, and I will believe there will be sports and other activities for my son in the fall along with CFB when I see it.

Last edited:
I’m semi-retired and work a couple/three days a week from home. My wife has been able to work from home, so this has been a bit of a preview for full retirement. We’re doing just fine with it.
I miss not seeing my kids as much as normal. I miss an evening out for dinner and drinks once a week or so. And I miss seeing the kids I help coach at off-season workouts.
I’m surprised I don’t miss sports on TV like I thought I would. I’m making better use of that time.
My heart goes out to those who have been sick or have lost family members and friends. I don’t have much patience for those who can’t (or are too selfish) to do the things required to slow the spread of this virus.
I feel bad for the young people losing out on their only opportunities for graduations, sports seasons, proms, etc. But I struggle to find empathy for people in $50,000 SUVs sitting in food pantry lines. I’m surprised by the large number of people unprepared to handle two months of economic trouble.
While I hope and pray things return to close to normal soon, I can see it taking another year or so before that happens.

Reactions: CattyGuy51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT