ADVERTISEMENT

How do we finish? @OSU, @MD, UM, Rutg, @MSU

What will Penn State's record be over the final five regular season games?

• 0-5

Votes: 22 10.5%
  • 1-4

Votes: 49 23.4%
  • 2-3

Votes: 97 46.4%
  • 3-2

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • 4-1

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • 5-0

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

SaquonCappelletti

Dec 3, 2016
Don't get me wrong, I will be rooting like heck for us to beat Ohio State. But it would just be so comical if we finally beat the Buckeyes and it doesn't factor into us playing for a Big 10 or national title.

Reactions: psu00
I said it in the game thread -- the downward spiral to this season began in the 3rd quarter. They won't be competitive next week in Columbus and I'd expect losses to Michigan and Michigan State. A healthy Clifford changes many things, of course. But it says a ton about how bad Roberson is if they thought a 1/2-dimensional Clifford was the answer today.

Even worse, there's nothing to play for now. All of the goals are shot. I bet that's gonna eat at the motivation of a lot of players.

Michigan is a horrible match up. Illinois with good players
Actually, MSU, UM, and OSU are terrible matchups after watching Illinois pound the ball for well over 300 yards on the ground. All 3 of those teams have bigtime running attacks especially MSU with Walker

Reactions: JDale83
I said it in the game thread -- the downward spiral to this season began in the 3rd quarter. They won't be competitive next week in Columbus and I'd expect losses to Michigan and Michigan State. A healthy Clifford changes many things, of course. But it says a ton about how bad Roberson is if they thought a 1/2-dimensional Clifford was the answer today.

Even worse, there's nothing to play for now. All of the goals are shot. I bet that's gonna eat at the motivation of a lot of players.
That's really puzzling since CJF has had recruiting success at almost all the other positions

A healthy Clifford changes many things, of course.
He actually looked like he did last season. No confidence whatsoever. I know he was playing injured but he was holding the ball way too long not trusting what he was seeing.

I see only one potential win - Rutgers. But at this point I would call that a toss up.

He actually looked like he did last season. No confidence whatsoever. I know he was playing injured but he was holding the ball way too long not trusting what he was seeing.
You're right. And the fact that he couldn't take off running made him a statue back there. Offensive line being a sieve and no running game meant that he didn't have the time that he's used to and Illinois knew he was handicapped back there.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I can’t see us winning another game unless Clifford and some other dinged up contributors can get healthier, which is asking a lot, given our schedule. We’ve painted ourselves into a corner with this offense and the demands and deficiencies on our roster.
Next year also looks pretty bleak unless we can find a decent transfer QB or two. The OL issues look like they are going to need a coaching change. Hiring Trautwein to replace Limegrover looks like the worst assistant coaching decision of JF’s PSU tenure.

Reactions: jabba2
9OT loss is tough to overcome but I think Franklin will get them ready.
I mean no disrespect to Franklin's parents if they have passed away. But only his parents could say that given what we all saw for 4 hours today.........

If you have seen Lawrence of Arabia, the phrase "take no prisoners!" is a more likely scenario.

OSU, MSU and UM are not looking good. The majority of plays Illinois used today would have been just as effective on the front seven if PJ were not hurt. This weakness has been there all season. 17 and 40 are major liabilities against the run as are their backups. Iowa was able to pop quite a few runs against them two weeks ago. Prior to that, nobody had the backs to do it. We have several coming up and Iowa wrote the script on how to attack. We need Clifford back at full strength. Perhaps we need to think about sitting next week if it means he is closer to 100% for the following game.

Rutgers is our best shot but my expectations are tempered because we are their super bowl.

As it was when the season began- it all hinges on Clifford. If he's 100%, we win 3 of those games- if not, we might win one- might.

At this point it’s likely time to tell Roberson to move on after this year and get someone else in. If he’s not capable of putting up a competent performance after 3 years in the program and with 2 weeks to prepare for a 2-5 team that required playing the injured starter (who was then reinjured) then he’ll never be ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuluvr1
Great question

@ OSU 99.9 percent loss
@Marlyand toss up maybe lean towards an W
Vs Michigan - 75 percent loss
Vs Rutgers - 75 percent win but Rutgers could pull it out
@Mich state - Odd feeling we win this one but yeah idk

I’ll go sunshine positive and say 8-4 and maybe if they win that mich state game they will get a outback bowl bid but more likely headed for music city

Great question

@ OSU 99.9 percent loss
@Marlyand toss up maybe lean towards an W
Vs Michigan - 75 percent loss
Vs Rutgers - 75 percent win but Rutgers could pull it out
@Mich state - Odd feeling we win this one but yeah idk

I’ll go sunshine positive and say 8-4 and maybe if they win that mich state game they will get a outback bowl bid but more likely headed for music city
It’s all going to hinge on Sean’s health.

At this point it’s likely time to tell Roberson to move on after this year and get someone else in. If he’s not capable of putting up a competent performance after 3 years in the program and with 2 weeks to prepare for a 2-5 team that required playing the injured starter (who was then reinjured) then he’ll never be ready.
Your giving the coaches too much credit. To beat Illinois today if we 'needed' Clifford the verdict was already in .

It’s all going to hinge on Sean’s health.
If you were to assume that his health never improves by playing, what are your expectations? I am not sure we see any improvement in his health for the rest of the year.

That's really puzzling since CJF has had recruiting success at almost all the other positions

Not really, there are lots of hole out there. WR was one last year and we ended up having to start 2 TR FR WR since the talent wasn't there. LBs the same last year. This year it's DTs, we have two young kids taking a ton of snaps, two of our starters on the DL are transfers. DEs is weak without our transfer DE, relying on two guys who were LBs coming into the program. OL we are still trying to dig ourselves out of a hole. RG is a transfer, not sure if our center would play for most better B10 offensive lines. We have some really good OL that are a bit young, maybe next year things will get better.

Actually, MSU, UM, and OSU are terrible matchups after watching Illinois pound the ball for well over 300 yards on the ground. All 3 of those teams have bigtime running attacks especially MSU with Walker
The ONLY bright side to the stats is that in spite of the atrocious run defense it only produced 10 points.

Almost any game I’d take whatever offensive stats the opponent can put up if it results in only 10 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT