ADVERTISEMENT

how come Mark Allen and Nick Scott also got leapfrogged by Barkley?..

I'd be a bit peeved if I were those two.
I think they all know who is gonna get the job done best in a situation like today. I saw some post-game comments by Lynch that lead me to believe that it was a given that Barkley would be the man. Everybody is gonna get their chance, imho.

Edit: Our radio team is very high on SB based on what they have seen in practice. This came as no surprise to them. Their comments were very similar to the comments they were making about Redd when he first appeared in games for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Why should they be Peeved when the most talented RB plays? Allen has not shown much as a punt returner or during his limited carries at RB (in B/W game and so far through 2 games), whereas a blind man can see that Barkley is our best RB since at least Tony Hunt. And Allen was ahead of Scott.

If you watched the game, you wouldn't have to ask the question. Scott could be a contributor, but Allen isn't quick enough to make up for his lack of size...never have been a fan of watch charm RB's.

SB is clearly our best back. too bad we didn't realize this during the Temple game. IMO it is SB #1 and Scott #2, then Akeel probably - although we have not seen some of the other guys like JT and AR. Scott showed a ton on the kick return. I am not sure we would have won today if SB was not inserted.

Like this.
penn-state-saquon-barkley-hurdle.jpg

So, you propose that we give out playing time based upon seniority? My god, I hope you are kidding...

He posted from the perspective of the players, not the coaches. Football players are competitive. They all want to play. They all think they are "The Guy". It wouldn't surprise me if Allen and Scott are peeved that they got passed by Barkley yesterday. I'm sure they wouldn't deny the great performance by Barkley, but they all want the chance.

Barkley is better. If they are peeved, then they need to work harder. Lynch hits the holes way too slow. Don't know what they will do next year when Miles Sanders arrives. Where is Jonathan Thomas? Franklin said that no one wanted to tackle him in practice last year.

James Franklin post game on Barkley's hurdle:
"Saquon Barkley, who I thought gave us a spark, came in as a freshman and did some exciting things. Had 15 yards, most for a true freshman since Silas Redd [in 2011]. Before Saquon got here he used to hurdle people all the time in high school and he said I’m not going to do that in college. I said that doesn’t make sense because in high school it’s illegal to hurdle people and it’s legal in college. I’m glad that he brought that back out of his bag of tricks."

I would simply say SB made everyone else look like they were in slow motion.

Remember last season when we were all for Lynch taking over for Belton because Akeel was bigger and faster. Now, the bar has been set a bit higher. Lynch will continue to start, at least for awhile, But Barkley is our best back with Nick Scott behind him. With Sanders coming in next year, look for 1 or 2 of this year's RS freshmen to transfer.

I hope he played because he's better than they are. If they do get peeved, it might inspire them to work even harder, get better and really be ready if they are needed.

Remember last season when we were all for Lynch taking over for Belton because Akeel was bigger and faster. Now, the bar has been set a bit higher. Lynch will continue to start, at least for awhile, But Barkley is our best back with Nick Scott behind him. With Sanders coming in next year, look for 1 or 2 of this year's RS freshmen to transfer.
Nothing but admiration for Lynch and all he has and continues to do for this program with all it has been through since November, 2011, but Barkely and Robinson became the top 2 RBs the day they enrolled. This situation mirrors the situation with many of the other position groups, the main difference being that skill players can sometime contribute as freshmen or redshirt freshmen whereas with offensive linemen it usually take 2 or 3 years for talented offensive lineman to mature enough physically to play in this league.

The way SB hit the corner and turned up field on one of his first few plays had me sitting up to watch. The hurdle and power running brought smiles to my face and my sons. If my 15-year old states SB has a great burst of speed and doesn't back down from contact, I am guessing others, including the other RB's on the team, see that as well.

OL

Exactly. If you recall, Pitts pretty much rode the pine, then in the Snow Bowl against UM in '95 he ran wild. Yesterday was SB's turn, there will be a game in the future where he is having an off day, and one of the other guys will step up and surprise.

I don't see Barkley ever having a game "off" enough that anyone will believe Lynch or Allen would be a better option. I haven't seen enough of Scott yet. I have seen Sanders in H.S. games, and when he gets to PSU we will have two legit RB's that can perform at the level necessary to win against top 20 competition. Then once the trenches talent matures and is able to perform at the same level, kattie bar the door..............

Of course workers should be rewarded for the number of years they have spent in the labor force. That's how pensions work. My guess is you don't have one and are envious of those who do.

So in your analogy, which player is getting a pension? That's a rhetorical question that shows how terrible your analogy is. We are talking about getting a promotion and that it should be due to performance, not seniority. So your post was a complete waste of everyone's time. Please read more carefully before posting next time.

BTW, I have a great pension and I've never been in a union. Terrible assumption by you.

Back to the original question:

Because Barkley must have proven in practice, and has now proven in a game, that he is the best RB on the team. And since the object is to win games, CJF is playing the best players.

Pretty simple, really.

Of course workers should be rewarded for the number of years they have spent in the labor force. That's how pensions work. My guess is you don't have one and are envious of
those who do.

1. Test Board
2. WTF is this doing on a thread about football?
3. Here is a history lesson for you: It was THIS mentality that led to 40+ years of decline in Detroit and American auto makers getting surpassed in both quality and reliability by Japan, Germany, Britain, and South Korea. Pensions do nothing but drain company's future revenues where they are better put in R&D and hiring and retaining younger skilled workers. Don't believe me... look at how many pension funds are vastly under funded. Companies that did away with them and forced their staff to invest in their own futures and retirements are the ones that are succeeding today.

Reactions: pandaczar12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT