ADVERTISEMENT

Saquon Barkley 'disappointed' with Giants deal, signed after 'epiphany'

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
He remains a class act and a great representative of Penn State

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Running back Saquon Barkley said he was seriously considering sitting out games into the regular season because of his contract dispute with the New York Giants. Then he had an epiphany.

Barkley signed an adjusted franchise tag and reported with the rest of his teammates Tuesday. It was a one-year deal for $10.1 million with close to an additional $1 million in available incentives, sources told ESPN. It also included a $2 million up-front signing bonus.

"I can sit here and lie to you and be like, 'I wasn't disappointed,' or 'I wasn't this and that or a third.' That would just be a flat-out lie," Barkley said. "But I am mature enough to understand that it's a business. Understand that deals don't get done every year.

"Specific to my position, we didn't get a deal done. Me and my team felt we were in good faith trying to get a deal done. The Giants felt they were in good faith trying to get a deal done. That's life. Sometimes you don't come to an agreement. I had to come to a decision and, like I said, I had an epiphany. I had a mindset of what I was going to do. I changed my mind."

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
He remains a class act and a great representative of Penn State

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Running back Saquon Barkley said he was seriously considering sitting out games into the regular season because of his contract dispute with the New York Giants. Then he had an epiphany.

Barkley signed an adjusted franchise tag and reported with the rest of his teammates Tuesday. It was a one-year deal for $10.1 million with close to an additional $1 million in available incentives, sources told ESPN. It also included a $2 million up-front signing bonus.

"I can sit here and lie to you and be like, 'I wasn't disappointed,' or 'I wasn't this and that or a third.' That would just be a flat-out lie," Barkley said. "But I am mature enough to understand that it's a business. Understand that deals don't get done every year.

"Specific to my position, we didn't get a deal done. Me and my team felt we were in good faith trying to get a deal done. The Giants felt they were in good faith trying to get a deal done. That's life. Sometimes you don't come to an agreement. I had to come to a decision and, like I said, I had an epiphany. I had a mindset of what I was going to do. I changed my mind."
At least he was smart enough to not do what Bell did with the Steelers, which effectively destroyed his career.

At least he was smart enough to not do what Bell did with the Steelers, which effectively destroyed his career.
Bell's situation was different in that he was offered a very reasonable deal by the Steelers and the Steelers offense was absolutely perfrect for Bell's skill set. The Steelers had a great offensive line that enabled Bell to dance around and use his elite vision to find holes. Bell did not have a skill set that enabled him to succeed regardless of talent surrounded him. Thus, in addition to not accepting a reasonable deal with the Steelers, after sitting out a year, Bell accepted the highest offer that he received and went to a team (Jets) whose talent did not fit his skill set. The Jets exposed Bell's inability to perform without a great offensive line which is what really doomed his career.

Saquon's situation is different than Bell's situation because Saquon has proven that his skill set enables him to perform at a high level regardless of the talent that surrounds him (See PSU's weak OL and Giant's weak OL). Further, Saquon wasn't being offered nearly what Bell was offered by the Steelers. If Saquon would have sat out and signed with another team next year, it is possible that he could have been financially better off with the new team and, IMO it is likely he would perform at the same level or better with his new team regardless of the talent that surrounds him.

I just hope he remains healthy at least until he is able to test what the open market is willing to pay him. Saquon Barkley is one of the athletes in the NFL who deserve to get paid.

Last edited:
Saquon had a very reasonable deal as well. He's just not realistic regarding the value of his position. Saquon did the right think and he'll be tagged next year as well...and probably the year after if they can't reach a deal. Basically RBs should always be tagged. None are worth a long term deal with guaranteed money. Not even elite backs like Saquon.

Saquon had a very reasonable deal as well. He's just not realistic regarding the value of his position. Saquon did the right think and he'll be tagged next year as well...and probably the year after if they can't reach a deal. Basically RBs should always be tagged. None are worth a long term deal with guaranteed money. Not even elite backs like Saquon.
You can only be tagged unless I am mistaken.

Barkley going to have a monster year if he stays healthy, hopefully someone pays him next year.

Barkley going to have a monster year if he stays healthy, hopefully someone pays him next year.
The Giants will tag him next year. 100% will tag him. He'll make slight over 12M unless he agrees to a contract with 26M guaranteed over the next two years to cover the third tag.

That article says he may tagged next year. Doesn’t say a word about anything at all for the following year.
It doesn't need to...and I provided the article to refute the nonsense that his contract prevented the Giants from tagging him next year. When they said "only one tag" they meant this tag. They'll tag him next year and then again in 2025 if he's healthy and producing at a high level. RBs aren't worth long term guaranteed money in today's NFL. Not when the tag exists.

It doesn't need to...and I provided the article to refute the nonsense that his contract prevented the Giants from tagging him next year. When they said "only one tag" they meant this tag. They'll tag him next year and then again in 2025 if he's healthy and producing at a high level. RBs aren't worth long term guaranteed money in today's NFL. Not when the tag exists.
Wrong again. Post said ‘this deal’ so poster meant the new contract would allow only one tag…..meaning next season.

I have no idea what the contract reads but I am pretty damned sure what that post meant.

Wrong again. Post said ‘this deal’ so poster meant the new contract would allow only one tag…..meaning next season.

I have no idea what the contract reads but I am pretty damned sure what that post meant.
No it did not. He posted this wrong info before very specifically stating they can't tag him in 2024. And the contract doesn't prohibit any tags. You're intentionally misinterpreting what was stated.

No it did not. He posted this wrong info before very specifically stating they can't tag him in 2024. And the contract doesn't prohibit any tags. You're intentionally misinterpreting what was stated.
No, he was talking about the new contract…..’deal’. He stated that he thought the new deal allowed for only one tag. And a contract for this year doesn’t count as a tag. Therefore, they pay him for this under the new contract contract and can tag him next year…..2024.

No, he was talking about the new contract…..’deal’. He stated that he thought the new deal allowed for only one tag. And a contract for this year doesn’t count as a tag. Therefore, they pay him for this under the new contract contract and can tag him next year…..2024.
You're not this stupid

They'll tag him next year and then again in 2025 if he's healthy and producing at a high level. RBs aren't worth long term guaranteed money in today's NFL. Not when the tag exists.

2nd tag would put him between 12 and 13.2 million. I'm unsure how it works with this new deal, but it's probably based on what they pay him after incentives.

3rd tag has some caveats. 1. 144% of 2nd tag (17-19 million) or top 5 average of top paid players (regardless of position).

2nd tag will be interesting. It's borderline what they offered so it'll probably happen.

No way the 3rd occurs. Otherwise, you just pay him this season before the deadline passes.

2nd tag would put him between 12 and 13.2 million. I'm unsure how it works with this new deal, but it's probably based on what they pay him after incentives.

3rd tag has some caveats. 1. 144% of 2nd tag (17-19 million) or top 5 average of top paid players (regardless of position).

2nd tag will be interesting. It's borderline what they offered so it'll probably happen.

No way the 3rd occurs. Otherwise, you just pay him this season before the deadline passes.
They offered 23M guarantees which is 2 tags. 2024 is a foregone conclusion if they don't reach a deal. After the 24 season there's no reason not to tag him for a final season. They'll have the cap room. It's a one year deal...the cash isn't a problem at that point.

He has a good year in the NYC TV market and his endorsement income will be more than his contract with the Giants. I just hope the Giants can field a more respectable O-line so Barkley doesn't get pounded the way he has so far playing for that team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT