ADVERTISEMENT

How big is the Lion win over Iowa now?

Iowa will get more votes this week. I don't know if they will make it into the top 25 though on Monday. If the Hawkeyes were in the SEC, they would be around 18th.
It will be close. A lot of teams at the bottom of the top 25 lost (picking up 2 losses) and Iowa will be placed above them. They will probably be like 26 or 27 and able to get in next weekend with a win.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
This is the biggest complaint about the Big Ten nationally and it’s pretty much true. The top 3 are very good. The rest- not so much.
when you start hearing that it's usually a set up for telling us how the sec is such a gauntlet, and has such speedy players, that they deserve all four playoff spots

I still think MD is #4. They are scary. Taulia and the WRs will get some scores on just about everyone. Their D has been generally good this year too.

This is the biggest complaint about the Big Ten nationally and it’s pretty much true. The top 3 are very good. The rest- not so much.
The SEC has somewhat of the same problem. Ga, Ala and Tenn so far appear to be the best this year. Unfortunately their next three are much better than the corresponding three in the BIG.

I still think MD is #4. They are scary. Taulia and the WRs will get some scores on just about everyone. Their D has been generally good this year too.
Possibly but Maryland just can't avoid the dumbass mistakes and coaching miscues. That 2nd half opening onside kick by their coach yesterday was STUPID and came back to bite them. They are dangerous though

Reactions: dswartz
when you start hearing that it's usually a set up for telling us how the sec is such a gauntlet, and has such speedy players, that they deserve all four playoff spots
Ehhh---I think everyone agrees on the Pac XII is truly deep this year and that could even be false at this point.

The SEC has its bottom feeders too but top to bottom they do have more ‘name’ programs. That allows them more flexibility. When Florida and Auburn are down, Georgia and LSU take their spot so there’s always a bunch of good teams there. The Big Ten has the big 3 and then maybe 1 of Wisconsin, Iowa, or Michigan State are decent. So when Penn St and Michigan go through some down years (as all teams do) there’s not much to backfill the gaps.

That’s where the SEC has the advantage on the Big Ten in terms of perception. Well, that and winning most of the national titles in football the past 2 decades, (14/20).

That’s where the SEC has the advantage on the Big Ten in terms of perception. Well, that and winning most of the national titles in football the past 2 decades, (14/20).
that would be a compelling argument, except for the fact that college football is only marginally better than professional wrestling in terms of determining which opponents will face off for championships

Reactions: johnmpsu
that would be a compelling argument, except for the fact that college football is only marginally better than professional wrestling in terms of determining which opponents will face off for championships
True, and the expanded playoff will help to fix that problem somewhat.

That said, how many times the past 2 decades has an SEC team won the national title and you thought ‘they’re not the best team- it’s Penn St/ Ohio St/ or Michigan that should have that title’?

Reactions: Conemaugh
True, and the expanded playoff will help to fix that problem somewhat.

That said, how many times the past 2 decades has an SEC team won the national title and you thought ‘they’re not the best team- it’s Penn St/ Ohio St/ or Michigan that should have that title’?
I don't know if I have ever really thought about it like that, and some of those years Alabama was clearly better than anyone, but the way college football determines champions is just a farce and has been forever.

I thought the four-team playoff was going to be a huge change, but somehow they made it boring and it does not feel like that much of a change

I agree that 12 will be better

I don't know if I have ever really thought about it like that, and some of those years Alabama was clearly better than anyone, but the way college football determines champions is just a farce and has been forever.

I thought the four-team playoff was going to be a huge change, but somehow they made it boring and it does not feel like that much of a change

I agree that 12 will be better
I agree. I thought the old poll system was frustrating enough but when they went to the BCS/ playoff it did seem to get stale with more group think on who got in each year and at least 2 reserved spots.

The expanded playoff will help. My only concern is that they still will screw it up by reserving spots for G5 teams etc rather than putting the best teams in.

I agree. I thought the old poll system was frustrating enough but when they went to the BCS/ playoff it did seem to get stale with more group think on who got in each year and at least 2 reserved spots.

The expanded playoff will help. My only concern is that they still will screw it up by reserving spots for G5 teams etc rather than putting the best teams in.
I can almost guarantee they will screw it up and quickly find a way to put in six sec teams, two G5 teams, and then four from anywhere else. which leaves us almost exactly where we are now

Reactions: psu00
I can almost guarantee they will screw it up and quickly find a way to put in six sec teams, two G5 teams, and then four from anywhere else. which leaves us almost exactly where we are now
All the at large teams should come from the SEC and Big Ten.

All the at large teams should come from the SEC and Big Ten.
should, but I guarantee we will see dumb stuff like ND in the playoff every single year, even if they win 8 games, and either FSU or Clemson getting in every year. along with 3-loss SEC teams like Arkansas and South Carolina being considered "consensus" picks for the lower seeds

should, but I guarantee we will see dumb stuff like ND in the playoff every single year, even if they win 8 games, and either FSU or Clemson getting in every year. along with 3-loss SEC teams like Arkansas and South Carolina being considered "consensus" picks for the lower seeds
Not 8 maybe 9 lol
We likely will see 3 loss teams from the SEC but also the Big Ten.

Not 8 maybe 9 lol
We likely will see 3 loss teams from the SEC but also the Big Ten.
SEC, definitely. but i will believe it when i see it with the B1G (for any team not named OSU, Michigan or USC). also I will believe it when i see it that they don't give ND the 12-seed after a totally unremarkable season

I’m waiting for a team ranked 8- 10 to get left out because we have too many ‘reserved’ spots for lower conference champs and G5 teams etc.

What are they going to do with the PAC 2? If they combine with the Mountain West to try and keep P5 status you could literally have Colorado St ranked #18 get in as a conference champ and a top 10 team left out.

We’ll also run into the issue of 2 or 3 teams from the P5 who didn’t win their conference championship fighting for who gets the last spot or 2. It’ll be like the March madness debates on certain teams being left out. ;)

Reactions: bison13
I’m waiting for a team ranked 8- 10 to get left out because we have too many ‘reserved’ spots for lower conference champs and G5 teams etc.

What are they going to do with the PAC 2? If they combine with the Mountain West to try and keep P5 status you could literally have Colorado St ranked #18 get in as a conference champ and a top 10 team left out.

We’ll also run into the issue of 2 or 3 teams from the P5 who didn’t win their conference championship fighting for who gets the last spot or 2. It’ll be like the March madness debates on certain teams being left out. ;)
I think we agree on how this is going to play out. An SEC-fest with some weird forced selections for the 10 and 11 seeds

Reactions: psu00
SEC, definitely. but i will believe it when i see it with the B1G (for any team not named OSU, Michigan or USC). also I will believe it when i see it that they don't give ND the 12-seed after a totally unremarkable season
Fair enough...those are the 3 Big Ten teams I think get in with 3 losses

We’ll also run into the issue of 2 or 3 teams from the P5 who didn’t win their conference championship fighting for who gets the last spot or 2. It’ll be like the March madness debates on certain teams being left out.
Better to argue that problem than champions sitting home

They are.... #24 AP, #23 Coaches' Poll.
Bit on that one, even with the emoji so you knew you were being teased for the out on a limb statement of “almost definitely”. I even equated it to the ridiculously overused redundant “may or may not”.

Beer on you if we ever cross paths. ;)

Possibly but Maryland just can't avoid the dumbass mistakes and coaching miscues. That 2nd half opening onside kick by their coach yesterday was STUPID and came back to bite them. They are dangerous though

Maryland can't compete with physical teams in the trenches. They don't have the size or the depth. The onside kick was Locksley saying he REALLY didn't want to have his defense on the field for the start of 2nd half. They were worn out from playing Ohio State the week before and didn't have enough gas in the tank. Maryland might lose another playing at Northwestern this week because NW isn't very good but they are physical.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT