ADVERTISEMENT

Home Depot or Lowe's

Lowe’s and hd are 45 minutes away. Use local mainly. Longs outpost and guys hardware 10 minutes away.

Home Depot is my first choice. I do go to Lowe’s for special purchases I cannot find at HD. I bought some great Larsen Storm Doors at Lowe’s that HD did not carry and I have been very satisfied with them.

Hardware stores? They evoke thoughts of dirt and work. I pay people to do that, so what do I care where they buy their supplies?

offset_854618.jpg

I find HD has better supply and options for major projects while Lowe’s has better DIY options, but either will do.

if they were side by side in a strip mall, I would head to HD first for project. The quality of wood sucks in both places and like BW Lion said you may have better options for lumber by looking around. I swear there is not a straight pine 2x4 in either place.
The wood mostly sucks because it is not sufficiently kiln dried. I buy wood from Home Depot but always take my moisture meter with me to check it out before buying. FWIW, I have purchased wood from lumber speciality stores and have found crappy and not sufficiently dried wood there too but not nearly as much. Yeah the people at the store kind of give you a strange look when you test the wood for moisture content but hey, it's my money. A good moisture meter will run around two to three hundred bucks and comes in handy too when purchasing firewood. Home Depot hands down easily over Lowes for variety of items stocked but there are smaller HD stores and larger ones with the larger ones with bigger stocks. Full disclosure - I am invested in HD and no investment in Lowes.

Of the two I lean towards HD because i find it easier to find stuff. Also - I don't know what it is but if I ask for help or direction in Lowes, the associate never knows the answer and I usually end up waiting while they try to look it up on their phone. I am lucky enough to live 2 minutes from a local well stocked hardware store, and less than 10 for a quality lumber yard based store that has very good pricing on most items.

Thank you for all the responses. I was curious and share similar thoughts. A Lowe's store is much closer to me than a Home Depot (I wish it was the reverse) and I have found the associates in Home Depot (some of them anyway) knowledgeable and more willing to help answer any questions I may have. I have heard in the past too that Lowe's was for women and Home Depot for men.

The Service Hardware store closest to me went out of business.

Thank you for all the responses. I was curious and share similar thoughts. A Lowe's store is much closer to me than a Home Depot (I wish it was the reverse) and I have found the associates in Home Depot (some of them anyway) knowledgeable and more willing to help answer any questions I may have. I have heard in the past too that Lowe's was for women and Home Depot for men.

The Service Hardware store closest to me went out of business.
Lowes because of the 10% military discount. Basically same products but different manufacturers for tools. Menards is coming to the area and from what I've seen, they will put a major hurting on the earnings of both Lowes and HD.

Reactions: 4theglory54
Lowes because of the 10% military discount. Basically same products but different manufacturers for tools. Menards is coming to the area and from what I've seen, they will put a major hurting on the earnings of both Lowes and HD.
HD will give you the military discount too

A few years ago someone opened a Lowe’s card in the wife’s name and proceeded to purchase $24000 in Lowe’s gift cards throughout stores in OR and WA over a 3 day period and Lowe’s didn’t catch on so I guess it’s Home Depot for us though identify theft can happen anywhere.
At least she made her boyfriends happy and you never caught on.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Check the stock ownership records...
Also.. check out the companies that are listed as having the most federally subsidized hourly workers since the 1980s.
Stock ownership by insiders is less than 1% for both Lowes and Home Depot.

The federal government subsidizes people with low incomes, not the companies they work for.

Lowes & Home Depot stores in my area pay more that $15/hr for low skilled labor. I don't see how they're screwing people over. Alternatives like Ace Hardware and Harbor Freight pay comparable wages.

HD is geared more to contractors with cell phone, insurance, uniforms and more a available.

After the HD founder, Ken Langone, retired the bean counters took over and got rid of the high paid old timers with experience and replaced them with people with no experience in construction/remodeling. That was pretty bad and that was when Lowe’s rapidly expanded.

About fifteen years ago, Langone came and straightened out the company. Me@nwhile, the bean counters took over at Lowe’s and now their people on the floor are pretty worthless......if you can find any.

In Hillsboro, Oregon, there is a Lowe’s and Home Depot that are side-by-side, sharing the same parking lot.

At least she made her boyfriends happy and you never caught on.
I can commiserate. Several years ago someone opened 21 checking accts. in our name and then 13 saving accts. and the big bank never noticed until we began receiving multiple account statements and made an inquiry. It took us the better part of a year to clean up that criminal activity. The easy out is even more prevelant today than at that point so I expect more criminal activity on our accounts. We just cut up our main card last Sunday and got the new one today, will it ever end? This is at least a yearly event for decades.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT