ADVERTISEMENT

Hope Matt Zollers stays home

PA college fan

Jun 26, 2001
Big announcement at 3pm tomorrow— prob between GA or PSU.

Like his approach— toughness and no hype— would be a Penn State and Pennsylvania legend if he stays home.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Big announcement at 3pm tomorrow— prob between GA or PSU.

Like his approach— toughness and no hype— would be a Penn State and Pennsylvania legend if he stays home.

Link below says Alabama, Missouri, and Pitt are also in the mix:

Reactions: NedFromYork
ive heard Mizzou is in with a lot of NIL money. GA has told him that he is their one and only this cycle.

My advice would be to follow your heart. For a PA kid, staying close to home pays dividends with family and comfort. But I don't know how much he may need to money. I guess, once he gets in as a true frosh and if he can prove himself, he can go anywhere in the country to get NIL money.

Wouldn’t get my hopes up here. Sounds like the Nits are running third or fourth in the race.

MIZ is offering an NIL bag, Georgia is Georgia (although he could get buried behind the ‘26 #1 QB, and now Bama is making a push. Always feels negative when an in-state kid takes his time and flirts with the big programs into the spring/summer.

Somewhat related - I’ve read he’s not excited about his eventual choice taking another QB in his class. Is Kritza the guy? Seems like mixed reviews on him + his early commitment seems to have pushed away Zollers and Montgomery. Sounds like there’s still a shot with Washington though.

If he doesn’t pick PSU, he’ll eventually end up here or Pitt in 2 years. You know how this works nowadays. UGA will go QB shopping for a top of the line starter every year. You don’t go to these schools to get development anymore.

Pay to play or playing for pay? NIL has turned off my passion for college football, Penn State football in particular. Maybe if one or two big-time programs folded something might get done to remove this turd from the punchbowl.

Pay to play or playing for pay? NIL has turned off my passion for college football, Penn State football in particular. Maybe if one or two big-time programs folded something might get done to remove this turd from the punchbowl.
Nil has had a bad effect on the program. Jay and Lubrano have been worse.

Reactions: voltz99
If he doesn’t pick PSU, he’ll eventually end up here or Pitt in 2 years. You know how this works nowadays. UGA will go QB shopping for a top of the line starter every year. You don’t go to these schools to get development anymore.
Pitt. Psu will fill the spot.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ive heard Mizzou is in with a lot of NIL money. GA has told him that he is their one and only this cycle.

My advice would be to follow your heart. For a PA kid, staying close to home pays dividends with family and comfort. But I don't know how much he may need to money. I guess, once he gets in as a true frosh and if he can prove himself, he can go anywhere in the country to get NIL money.
The twitterverse is saying Mizzou. I guess Wiltfong CB to Mizzou according to tweets

Georgia absolutely still develops guys--not once have they done what you're saying here.
Bennett and now Beck
He might leave because they recruit a better kid but why are you trying to say Georgia chases portal QBs?

He took the money. Hard to blame him. I'll predict he won't spend his full four years there.
He took the money and what appears to be fun, productive offense that Eli runs. Makes sense.

Will probably get a lot of playing time early. And that’s huge for kids these days.
I agree. but if I were playing QB, that wouldn't be my motivation. Four of the top QB picks in the NFL draft were xfers and 3 played for five years. (Daniels, Nix and Penix). Williams and Maye only played for three.

Regardless, QBs rarely get hurt in a way that stunts their draft status especially if they are pocket passers.

years ago, I read a scouts report that said few NFL QBs make it who have less than two full years as a starting college QB and factored that into his analysis. he felt that they didn't have the football maturity to handle the NFL starting job that would almost certainly happen for first round picks.

I agree. but if I were playing QB, that wouldn't be my motivation. Four of the top QB picks in the NFL draft were xfers and 3 played for five years. (Daniels, Nix and Penix). Williams and Maye only played for three.

Regardless, QBs rarely get hurt in a way that stunts their draft status especially if they are pocket passers.

years ago, I read a scouts report that said few NFL QBs make it who have less than two full years as a starting college QB and factored that into his analysis. he felt that they didn't have the football maturity to handle the NFL starting job that would almost certainly happen for first round picks.

For the life of me, I can't understand the rush to push rookie QBs into the game, often behind terrible OLs. For every C.J Stroud, there are probably 20 "busts". It certainly takes some patience, but the model the Packers have employed, of letting young QB sit, has served them well. I firmly believe that QB play in the NFL would be better if these guys weren't thrown to the wolves and their confidence shattered.

For the life of me, I can't understand the rush to push rookie QBs into the game, often behind terrible OLs. For every C.J Stroud, there are probably 20 "busts". It certainly takes some patience, but the model the Packers have employed, of letting young QB sit, has served them well. I firmly believe that QB play in the NFL would be better if these guys weren't thrown to the wolves and their confidence shattered.
agreed. but it is about ticket sales. If you pick a kid early, fans get excited and want to see him. Also, like in Green Bay, if you pick a kid early and sit him, it is really tough on the starter. But I agree, the team puts a lot of pressure on the kid at a critical time in his career when he needs to gain confidence and get used to the NFL game (which is substantially different than college).

Better he go there than Georgia, ‘bama or any perennial power. I like seeing more parity and other teams move up. And far less likely we face in any future playoffs.
Actually in an odd way, Nil might end up helping us out more than hurting us. It looks like what's beginning to happen is instead of all the portal and high school talent ending up with the 2 teams that always beat us, and the other 3 or 4 that always out rank us, it's starting to level out to the highest bidder, and all sorts of second level programs are getting who they want selectively by ponying up the money for those particular kids.

It's still no excuse for how Jay and Lubrano continue to sabotage the program in the name of Jay's father

Actually in an odd way, Nil might end up helping us out more than hurting us. It looks like what's beginning to happen is instead of all the portal and high school talent ending up with the 2 teams that always beat us, and the other 3 or 4 that always out rank us, it's starting to level out to the highest bidder, and all sorts of second level programs are getting who they want selectively by ponying up the money for those particular kids.

It's still no excuse for how Jay and Lubrano continue to sabotage the program in the name of Jay's father
Actually like the portal better. Those big powerhouses stock up on a ton of top players that never get to start. The portal allows them to move to other schools for a second chance. This leaves the big shots with less depth if they have injury problems. Coupled with guys leaving after three and leads to a lot of continuity- busting shuffling around.

Just need to better limit open time periods and how many times they can move.

I'm in agreement here. Ordinarily I don't like losing out on kids we want, but in this case I don't think it's the end of the world.
Agree it's not the end of the world but we're certainly not dominating the state this year. I wonder if Mizzou was able to make a bigger NIL commitment.

He was never going to play here.

24: Drew
25: Beau
26: Beau
27: Grunk
28: Grunk

He can portal back if it doesn't play out like that.
There's no guarantee Beau or Grunk ever start...nor should there be.
There's a very good chance he'd have started had he came here which is why many care that he didn't.

Agree it's not the end of the world but we're certainly not dominating the state this year. I wonder if Mizzou was able to make a bigger NIL commitment.
Missouri Definitely made a bigger NIL commitment.

Must be something to this crazy rise over the past few months. Saw some of the MT and CBS games on web, both losses. Football is a team sport, but I'd expect a little more O with a sure-fire D1 prospect.

No shame in losing to a solid MT squad away, but looked a bit overwhelmed at times.
SF 28
MT 63

CBS won D1, so they were solid. But, only putting up 19 at home doesn't align with an all-world QB prospect.
CBS 35
SF 19

Lost to PJPII (AAAA) in a close one at home. 28-27

Missouri Definitely made a bigger NIL commitment.
And yet they'll still finish behind Bama, UGA, LSU, Texas, OU and, if they get their act together, Florida in the SEC in almost every season, if not a few other schools like maybe Ole Miss and TA&M.

And yet they'll still finish behind Bama, UGA, LSU, Texas, OU and, if they get their act together, Florida in the SEC in almost every season, if not a few other schools like maybe Ole Miss and TA&M.
So they shouldn't try? What's your point? It's the equivalent of saying players shouldn't come here because we can't beat Michigan or Ohio State and adding the Pac XII teams might push us further down. Who says Mizzou isn't going to improve and contend? They looked good last year.

So they shouldn't try? What's your point? It's the equivalent of saying players shouldn't come here because we can't beat Michigan or Ohio State and adding the Pac XII teams might push us further down. Who says Mizzou isn't going to improve and contend? They looked good last year.
I’m not saying that they shouldn’t try, and actually hope that they can compete with the big boys on a consistent basis. In the SEC. However, based on that program’s track record, even when they played in the Big 12, they have periods of good football and followed by several mediocre at best for seasons Did you see their recent records before 2023; they were totally mediocre? My bet is that they’ll consistently finish in the middle tier of the SEC. They’re the SEC equivalent of K- State in the Big 12.

I’m not saying that they shouldn’t try, and actually hope that they can compete with the big boys on a consistent basis. In the SEC. However, based on that program’s track record, even when they played in the Big 12, they have periods of good football and followed by several mediocre at best for seasons Did you see their recent records before 2023; they were totally mediocre? My bet is that they’ll consistently finish in the middle tier of the SEC. They’re the SEC equivalent of K- State in the Big 12.
Pinkel had some success then Odom was a disaster. Drinkwitz basically had to start from the bottom when he took over. If they keep him, which will be tough, maybe they have a shot. But, regardless, if I was a young QB I'd want to play for him and he's using their NIL money wisely. Good luck to them. Teams like Missouri, Michigan State, Kansas State, TCU, etc are all decent mid-majors with the right coach. No one is expecting them to be Georgia but Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, A&M, etc aren't exactly consistent either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT