ADVERTISEMENT

Hockey Team Struggling Tonight

MSU controlling the 3rd period so far too.

MSU goal. It was just a matter if time. They've been in complete control this period but fortunately PSU got one right back. Maybe a wakeup call.

Why do they have to wait to go behind before playing some offense? They were in sleep mode for 48 minutes after three minutes into the game.

I'm listening to the radio broadcast and just heard that Penn State took a penalty on their own power play. The announcers questioned the penalty call against Sturtz (boarding).

4 penalties, 2 on each team. PSU scores on an abbreviated power play.

Bad call on DeRosa. He pushes the guy down and gets a holding penalty!!
It looked like the right call. DeRosa had his arm around the guy. It's not the refs, the players need to stop committing penalties at crucial times at the end of games.

Last edited:
Can't complain much about this game. Any win on the road this time of year (especially against a team playing spoiler) when you're in the hunt for a post season bid is quality.

Looking at the goals against, can't even say it was a problem of the D either. First Sparty goal was another whiff on a poke check (this one by Sucese, I believe) but their second goal was just an outstanding play by the primary assist.

The general flow of these games, PSU is playing like a team still battling through its issues and slump. Passing is still off and not generating the quality chances.....but they got a W. Win tomorrow and I think that confidence rolls into the Wisconsin series.

Good win. Wish I could say the same for my Gophers. Lost to those stinking Badgers.:(
It seems that PSU doesn't match up well with Minnesota, Minnesota doesn't match up well with Wisconsin, and Wisconsin doesn't match up well with PSU... still one more game and a series to see it play out, but interesting nonetheless. Without looking at points, it seems like Minnesota/Wisconsin have 1/2 locked up and the best PSU can hope for is 3rd in conference (again).

Reactions: STPGopherfan
It seems that PSU doesn't match up well with Minnesota, Minnesota doesn't match up well with Wisconsin, and Wisconsin doesn't match up well with PSU... still one more game and a series to see it play out, but interesting nonetheless. Without looking at points, it seems like Minnesota/Wisconsin have 1/2 locked up and the best PSU can hope for is 3rd in conference (again).

Agree, kind of a three way hostage situation. If PSU wins out, I think your team will have bigger things to worry about than BigTen tourney seeding. Still have a chance at the NCAA's.

Agree, kind of a three way hostage situation. If PSU wins out, I think your team will have bigger things to worry about than BigTen tourney seeding. Still have a chance at the NCAA's.

Seems to be a lot of jostling in PW and no dominant teams so can't really count locks, but barring one of those 15th-20th ranked teams getting really hot, 3-2 at worst in the last 5 for PSU should get the NCAA bid, as long as one of those wins is over Wisky.

not the same PSU team as early in the year. cannot put my finger on it but the offense movement is just not there. some really ugly power plays time for PSU last night. Need to get the offense back and going for this team to make a run.

not the same PSU team as early in the year. cannot put my finger on it but the offense movement is just not there. some really ugly power plays time for PSU last night. Need to get the offense back and going for this team to make a run.

I could put 2 fingers on it:

1 - Schedule from last week of October through start of B1G play featured an extremely soft underbelly to this schedule. Based on current Pair Wise, PSU's 10 games following a good showing in South Bend:

Canisius 25th
Niagara 60th (dead last)
Alaska Ankorage 55th
Arizona State 43rd
Michigan 42nd

Offense flourished in this stretch, and it should have....but along with that I think PSU got a bit too over-confident. You can beat these teams with the the fire wagon style Gadowsky loves and never really have to make adjustments.

2 - For some reason I'm not sure we've ever learned, PSU took an entire month off in the middle of the season from the Michigan series the first weekend of December through the first weekend of the New Year in Columbus. My assumption when learning we would not be doing the Three Rivers Classic this year was we'd be doing another holiday tournament. Maybe something fell through...who knows.

Regardless, I think this down time severely impacted the growth of this team. It was bad enough that they went 2 months of game action w/out being consistently tested thanks to the opposition mentioned above, but to add another 30 days to that with no opposition whatsoever, it's probably no wonder why the team seems to have hit a wall in its development and has had trouble with the tougher opposition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT