ADVERTISEMENT

Herbie rants about 'despicable lunatic' Nole fans daring to question his Bama playoff preference

Herbie, to stay relevant, has to reach younger generations who want to see this reaction
Herbie feels they "deserve hatred or contempt" such as they feel he deserves apparently
Again, you're making something out of nothing here. Herbie's job to get attract attention as it helps ratings. Look at everything he does. Remain critical if you want but this won't hurt him.
And, again, you only care because you think he's wrong. He wasn't wrong. Once Travis went down FSU should have been out. They weren't impressive with him let alone without him. He's not alone in his take nor did he determine who was in the field. If he influenced them that further illustrates the power he has and why he can respond in this manner.
Have you actually read some of the things said about him? You're just blindly going against him because it's what you do.

Again, the point of my post was not to argue the playoff merits of Florida State but rather laugh at Herbie's over-the-top reaction to the heat he's taken from Nole fans.

No, I don't think Herbie feels Nole fans "deserve hatred or contempt." Rather, I think he doesn't know what the word "despicable" means.

I think Herbie's an excellent commentator. I also think and have seen that he brings his own biases to the job, and I therefore don't appreciate him posing as somebody above such things.

If FSU should have been out once Travis went down, then why did the committee have them ranked #4 going into conference-championship weekend?

Reactions: 91Joe95
Yeah Herbie got bent out of shape a little. He has to realize FSU fans are going to be pissed. Does he think they are all going to meekly understand and accept? Give me a break.

The selection of Bama and the criteria of the best teams can get squirrelly. So what would have happened if Bama played GA to a stand off but lost? A quadruple OT death fight or they lose on a fluke play or on a horrible call by the ref (think Saints vs Rams a few years ago). My point is that people would think they are still one of the 4 best teams but now had 2 losses. I know what the answer is, they don't make it because of two losses. But wait, you don't count the 0 losses as positive for FSU but then would penalize Bama for 2 losses. Oh then the excuse is well FSU would make it if their QB was not hurt. Okay what if Bama won but lost their starting QB? I think this subjective "best teams" criteria really is a slippery slope. Remember last year Saban was advocating Bama was one of the best teams and should have gotten in. People laughed at him then but now it seems to be the criteria. It is a way of rewarding traditional powers who have had close losses.....well they are really better than so and so but their loss was a fluke. Maybe just let the teams with the top 4 recruiting classes just play each other. They should be the best. Who cares what happens on the field. I know that is far fetched but we are introducing all this subjectivity which ironically the sport has been dogged by for decades....Texas is better than Penn State because Nixon said so; Nebraska is better than Penn State because a #1 team would not let Indiana make the game somewhat close. etc, etc.

Here's an even better question: what would have happened if Alabama hadn't beaten a so-so Auburn team the week before on a miraculous, fluke, 4th-and-31 TD throw into the end zone on the game's last play?

How would the committee have tortured itself into justifying Florida State's exclusion in favor of an SEC team (either Georgia having lost to Alabama or the 2-loss Tide) in that scenario?

Here's an even better question: what would have happened if Alabama hadn't beaten a so-so Auburn team the week before on a miraculous, fluke, 4th-and-31 TD throw into the end zone on the game's last play?

How would the committee have tortured itself into justifying Florida State's exclusion in favor of an SEC team (either Georgia having lost to Alabama or the 2-loss Tide) in that scenario?
They'd have put in GA. In your scenario, the two clear attendees would be undefeated UM and Washington. So it then comes down to the 1-loss teams. IMHO, they'd have gone with GA and TX.

The event that happened that no one seems to be talking about regarding Florida State is that a 5 loss Kentucky team beat Louisville the week before the ACC Championship. That weakened Florida State's case even more especially when Alabama beat Kentucky with ease in Lexington the second week of November.

It's not just about money though. I don't think anyone believes FSU is a better team than any of the P5 one-loss teams.

We've never had a P5 undefeated champ with a SOS in the 50s, that lost their QB, looked like Iowa offensively without him being compared to one-loss P5 programs with the resumes of Bama and Texas.

Fair or not, the SEC has proven since the playoff began that they're the best conference. They were never getting left out. For competitive and financial reasons.

Playoffs aren't about what is "believed," its about settling it on the field. FSU earned the opportunity to settle it on the field with their undefeated season in a P5 conference. They were cheated out of the opportunity.

He's right. Not sure why any of this is funny to you. Everything he said is true. You should want to believe in conspiracies

Lots of teams are better than FSU. I'd argue Penn State Ole Miss and Mizzou are better with two losses.
Prove it.

He specifically said it's not about "deserves". Did you even read it?
If it is not about "deserves", then why even play the season? Honestly asking.

"Yeah, I know Team X beat everyone else, but I don't think they are really better. Let's put team A, B, and C ahead of them. They throw the ball a lot and score a lot of points!!!"

Reactions: Jerry
It only makes him more relevant to idiots...of whom, granted, there is no shortage.

The definition of "despicable" is: "deserving of hatred or contempt."

If you believe that a football fan's garden-variety anger over his team's controversial exclusion from the playoffs makes him deserving of hatred and contempt, particularly on the part of a supposedly professional commentator, then you're worse than the Nole fans in question. And so is Herbie.

That said, in fairness to Herbie, he probably doesn't know what the word "despicable" means. Apparently you don't either, Lando.
Yeah but he knows what physicality means since he says it every 5 f'ing seconds.

• Haha
The event that happened that no one seems to be talking about regarding Florida State is that a 5 loss Kentucky team beat Louisville the week before the ACC Championship. That weakened Florida State's case even more especially when Alabama beat Kentucky with ease in Lexington the second week of November.
Yet the committee still thought highly enough of Louisville to have them ranked above Okie St after that UK game. So on CCG weekend the committee had:
#4 beat #14
#6 beat #18

#6 jumps #4. If the committee was going to do what they did, they F’d up their earlier rankings.

I don’t care that Texas blew out Okie St., so did SOUTH Alabama.

Reactions: Jerry and 91Joe95
That same day Alabama played Auburn. Am I the only one in the country that saw that game?? They needed a hail mary to beat a bad Auburn team, and everyone is acting like it didn't happen! If FSU needed a hail mary to beat that Auburn team with their backup QB, they may have fallen out of the polls altogether!

The irony of course is that he supported his Buckeyes in 2016. I didn't hear him running his cake hole about the better team getting in in 2016.

So if FSU and ‘bama play next week on a neutral field….. winner goes to playoffs….. bookies say it is a pick ‘‘em game……and you will bet $1000….. who will bet on?

90% of people would bet ‘bama. 10% diehard’noles fans would bet FSU.

Again, the point of my post was not to argue the playoff merits of Florida State but rather laugh at Herbie's over-the-top reaction to the heat he's taken from Nole fans.

No, I don't think Herbie feels Nole fans "deserve hatred or contempt." Rather, I think he doesn't know what the word "despicable" means.

I think Herbie's an excellent commentator. I also think and have seen that he brings his own biases to the job, and I therefore don't appreciate him posing as somebody above such things.

If FSU should have been out once Travis went down, then why did the committee have them ranked #4 going into conference-championship weekend?
I don't understand why you think it was over-the-top? Because of the word despicable? Which I do think he knows what it means.
You believe he brings biases because you disagree with him
Because the committee was giving them one more chance to demonstrate what they could do without Travis.

Playoffs aren't about what is "believed," its about settling it on the field. FSU earned the opportunity to settle it on the field with their undefeated season in a P5 conference. They were cheated out of the opportunity.
You can't "earn" a spot in the current set up. There's no auto bids. It's all opinion. As has always been true in college football. It was in 82 and 86. It was in 94. All opinion.

If it is not about "deserves", then why even play the season? Honestly asking.

"Yeah, I know Team X beat everyone else, but I don't think they are really better. Let's put team A, B, and C ahead of them. They throw the ball a lot and score a lot of points!!!"
Because it was a 4 team playoff with 5 power conference. You can't take the winner of each. The committees job is the best not the most deserving.
No one thinks FSU is better. If they do they're lying.

Yet the committee still thought highly enough of Louisville to have them ranked above Okie St after that UK game. So on CCG weekend the committee had:
#4 beat #14
#6 beat #18

#6 jumps #4. If the committee was going to do what they did, they F’d up their earlier rankings.

I don’t care that Texas blew out Okie St., so did SOUTH Alabama.
Texas jumped because the Bama win became elite
FSU doesn't have a great win let alone an elite one.

Who wins if Bama and FSU play tomorrow?
There you go
No one knows.

If someone asked you the day before the Bama-Texas game this season who wins if they played tomorrow, you would have said Alabama, and you would have been wrong.

But I can prove that FSU didn't lose any games this season, and it didn't matter who played QB.

I can also prove that while FSU "struggled" with their backup/3rd string QB to beat Florida and Louisville (both 2 score wins), Alabama needed a Hail Mary to beat a 6-6 Auburn team that got blown out by New Mexico State the week before.

You can't "earn" a spot in the current set up. There's no auto bids. It's all opinion. As has always been true in college football. It was in 82 and 86. It was in 94. All opinion.

Then its not really a playoff, is it. Yet they keep calling it a playoff. If its a playoff, then FSU got cheated out of its spot.

Reactions: GSPMax
The irony of course is that he supported his Buckeyes in 2016. I didn't hear him running his cake hole about the better team getting in in 2016.
What happened to us in 2016 was a different version of the same thing that happened to FSU this year. No one thought we were one of the 4 best and I think they looked at our OSU win as a fluke. Of course they flipped the script with the losses, 2 losses (PSU 2016) is why you didn't get in but with 0 losses (FSU 2023) we won't let you in either.

Who wins if Bama and FSU play tomorrow?
There you go

Are you asserting that there is no way a backup, having been given a full month of reps instead of a few each week, cannot improve, and improve in significant ways? As a long time football fan, I have seen many great teams bomb out in a bowl, and vice versa, oftentimes for no apparent reason. I've seen many backups stink and then finally make significant strides when given the additional reps.

Ohio State was the better team in 2016
Our argument was against Washington
No one knows.

If someone asked you the day before the Bama-Texas game this season who wins if they played tomorrow, you would have said Alabama, and you would have been wrong.

But I can prove that FSU didn't lose any games this season, and it didn't matter who played QB.

I can also prove that while FSU "struggled" with their backup/3rd string QB to beat Florida and Louisville (both 2 score wins), Alabama needed a Hail Mary to beat a 6-6 Auburn team that got blown out by New Mexico State the week before.
The goal of the committee is the best teams not deserving. Bama would be favored by double digits

Yes Bama struggled with Auburn like FSU struggled with BC and Clemson but the Georgia win carries weight.

FSU had a SOS of 55...they should be penalized for that
Bama shouldn't be penalized for scheduling an elite OOC games. Hopefully this encourages teams to schedule better.

Then its not really a playoff, is it. Yet they keep calling it a playoff. If its a playoff, then FSU got cheated out of its spot.
Call it whatever you want. There's no auto bids. I'm fine saying it's an invitational

Are you asserting that there is no way a backup, having been given a full month of reps instead of a few each week, cannot improve, and improve in significant ways? As a long time football fan, I have seen many great teams bomb out in a bowl, and vice versa, oftentimes for no apparent reason. I've seen many backups stink and then finally make significant strides when given the additional reps.
I'm saying they didn't demonstrate it like Cardale Jones did and therefore the committee had to use what they saw. Which was horrific offense.

The goal of the committee is the best teams not deserving. Bama would be favored by double digits
Guessing Georgia would be a slight favorite over Alabama, so I assume you'd have no issue with Georgia being in the playoff, and Bama out?

I'm saying they didn't demonstrate it like Cardale Jones did and therefore the committee had to use what they saw. Which was horrific offense.
Well, they beat an SEC team in a rivalry game (or does that only benefit Alabama?), and a top 15 team in the country with this "horrific offense".

And they'd have their backup QB back for the bowl game and wouldn't be playing the 3rd stringer. AND he'd have nearly a month to prepare. Oh, and they didn't lose to anyone...

Because it was a 4 team playoff with 5 power conference. You can't take the winner of each. The committees job is the best not the most deserving.
No one thinks FSU is better. If they do they're lying.
The problem with your argument is it introduces a dangerous precedent but thankfully it should not be a factor in a 12 team playoff.

When you start concentrating on "who is better" you basically default to SEC lead dogs (Bama, Georgia), scUM and OSU and to hell with anyone else.

In any given year you could argue Georgia and Alabama are 2 of the best teams. The last few years just throw scUM and OSU in there and just auto stamp them in. Why play a season or scrutinize on field results??

I can argue OSU is better than both Washington and Texas. They lost a close game on the road to the #1 team. Washington plays in a easier conference and got lucky not to lose at home to Oregon. Texas had a worse loss than OSU. Why is OSU not in??

The problem with your argument is you start ignoring or dismissing actual results on the field and going by who you "think is best".

And we know for sure FSU if they were a 3 seed would get crushed by Washington?? No doubt about it???

What if Alabama, Georgia or LSU lost their QB for the first two games and they lose then he comes back and they reel off 10 straight wins of 30+ to win the SEC championship? They clearly are one of the 4 best now. Are they in??? No. Oh, why not? Well, they lost 2. Wait, losses matter?? They didn't have their QB so that was really not the team they are now. You see it can work the other way.

And yes what if Alabama lost to Auburn because they lost their QB for that game? Then they boat race Georgia to win the SEC. Well they are one of the 4 best gotta let them in.

I meant to ask you.....how did Georgia not make it???? There is NO WAY the committee will drop a two time defending champion and #1 team five spots from #1. Georgia will make it even if they lose to Alabama in the SEC cg. That didn't age well. LOL!!

Well, they beat an SEC team in a rivalry game (or does that only benefit Alabama?), and a top 15 team in the country with this "horrific offense".

And they'd have their backup QB back for the bowl game and wouldn't be playing the 3rd stringer. AND he'd have nearly a month to prepare. Oh, and they didn't lose to anyone...
Did you watch those games?
Michigan would have beat them like they beat Iowa. It would have been awful

I think Georgia should have been 3...yes I'd have been fine with that
Ok, there you have it. We have this guy saying he'd be fine with Georgia getting in over Alabama even though:
  • The two teams are in the same conference
  • Alabama won the conference
  • Alabama won the head to head.
I think we can ignore this guy's arguments going forward. We are all dumber for having read them.

Reactions: summitlion1
The problem with your argument is it introduces a dangerous precedent but thankfully it should not be a factor in a 12 team playoff.

When you start concentrating on "who is better" you basically default to SEC lead dogs (Bama, Georgia), scUM and OSU and to hell with anyone else.

In any given year you could argue Georgia and Alabama are 2 of the best teams. The last few years just throw scUM and OSU in there and just auto stamp them in. Why play a season or scrutinize on field results??

I can argue OSU is better than both Washington and Texas. They lost a close game on the road to the #1 team. Washington plays in a easier conference and got lucky not to lose at home to Oregon. Texas had a worse loss than OSU. Why is OSU not in??

The problem with your argument is you start ignoring or dismissing actual results on the field and going by who you "think is best".

And we know for sure FSU if they were a 3 seed would get crushed by Washington?? No doubt about it???

What if Alabama, Georgia or LSU lost their QB for the first two games and they lose then he comes back and they reel off 10 straight wins of 30+ to win the SEC championship? They clearly are one of the 4 best now. Are they in??? No. Oh, why not? Well, they lost 2. Wait, losses matter?? They didn't have their QB so that was really not the team they are now. You see it can work the other way.

And yes what if Alabama lost to Auburn because they lost their QB for that game? Then they boat race Georgia to win the SEC. Well they are one of the 4 best gotta let them in.

I meant to ask you.....how did Georgia not make it???? There is NO WAY the committee will drop a two time defending champion and #1 team five spots from #1. Georgia will make it even if they lose to Alabama in the SEC cg. That didn't age well. LOL!!

Right of the bat. Expanding to 12 next year did make the decision easier. No future impact.

The SEC and Big Ten have earned that though. It's not just perception but its been proven. And I do believe most of the at large will come from those conference. Adding the 6 programs thar they are separated them even more.

I'd say with 2 losses their in as we should have been over Washington in 2016.

Georgia should have been in. That was the worst decision the committee made. Texas or Washington should have been out.

Ok, there you have it. We have this guy saying he'd be fine with Georgia getting in over Alabama even though:
  • The two teams are in the same conference
  • Alabama won the conference
  • Alabama won the head to head.
I think we can ignore this guy's arguments going forward. We are all dumber for having read them.
It's about the best teams nothing else
Georgia should have been 3. Bama 4. Texas 5 Ohio State 6 Oregon 7 Penn State 8 Missouri 9 FSU 10.

You all put too much weight in H2H. The better team doesn't always win. A 12 team format helps this but you're probably someone that likes bowl games.

If you aren't basing your thoughts on who the best teams are by who wins the games, then what ARE you basing them on?
Overall performance and resume. One game doesn't define a season. Texas lost to Oklahoma but Texas is the better team. Stuff like that happens. We literally couldn't rank teams if H2H was primary.

Without calling FSU out, he can't justify 2016.

He can't justify 2016 any god damn way. We don't forget.
Cmon man. No 2-loss team ever made the 4-team Playoff and the 49-10 beat down by Michigan in 2016 totally killed PSU's chances. The loss to Pitt also didn't help

Whoa. Herbie doesn't like it when anybody questions his judgment on who should get playoff bids. The man wants you to know that he's as pure as the falling snow in such matters. Neither bias nor politics ever enter into his calculations.

Funny as hell:

I think Herbie is one of the best !

It's about the best teams nothing else
Georgia should have been 3. Bama 4. Texas 5 Ohio State 6 Oregon 7 Penn State 8 Missouri 9 FSU 10.

You all put too much weight in H2H. The better team doesn't always win. A 12 team format helps this but you're probably someone that likes bowl games.
So if h2h doesn’t matter why did Texas schedule to play at Alabama. If winning wasn’t important why play them.

So if h2h doesn’t matter why did Texas schedule to play at Alabama. If winning wasn’t important why play them.
To prepare you for the post season
To build your resume
Look at non-conference games in basketball. Big wins help you. Losses to great opponents don't kill you. Same with football.
A team should be rewarded for a strong schedule and as it expands to 12 they likely will be. Bama is the perfect example. I think 12-1 even with that loss is more impressive than 13-0 if you replace Texas with say Delaware or even Arizona State.

Cmon man. No 2-loss team ever made the 4-team Playoff and the 49-10 beat down by Michigan in 2016 totally killed PSU's chances. The loss to Pitt also didn't help
I would not say "totally"...the points difference between us and UW was tiny. Smaller than the FSU distance points wise.

Overall performance and resume. One game doesn't define a season. Texas lost to Oklahoma but Texas is the better team. Stuff like that happens. We literally couldn't rank teams if H2H was primary.
Hell with that convoluted logic we should have been a no brainer to make it in 2017. We lost head to head to OSU and MSU but were really the better team. We was robbed! Wtf.

Also this means a team like Bama could sleep walk against a Vanderbil then not be penalized. Oh that was a fluke that they lost, who cares. I'm not saying Vandy would be the better team but there needs to be consequences for losing games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT